DangeRuss vs. RGIII

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
After watching RGIII last night what he is doing currently as far as the style of offense he is running is not sustainable. He is taking too many hits and its very simple.

drdiags

Reaction score
For the poster mentioning Lynch's impact on Wilson's stats, Alfred Morris is the 3rd leading rusher in the NFL, tied with Martin.

Wilson's coaches are the bigger impact on his stats. Hard to argue with their methods though, stepping back for a second.

kmedic

Reaction score
After watching RGIII play last night, my opinion of him is that from a physical standpoint, he is definitely a superior athlete- he can throw it harder and he can run faster (he can really explode to the edges off the zone reads). However, from a mental standpoint, I think RW is ahead of him...by a lot. It's clear to me that he is not running nearly as sophisticated an offense as RW. Firstly, everything is based off the zone-read option formation which he used in college, which gives him an extra second to make his reads, so kudos to his coaching staff for implementing it. However, it seems that there is only 1 read when he actually passes the ball. One play that I saw him repeatedly throw was an inside slant route by the WR on a play action where all he needed to do was read the inside LB and whether he bit or not. He must have thrown it for a completion 3 or 4 times last night. When his read isn't open, he just checks it down to his back. This is another big difference between him and RW- RW breaks contain and continues to try and throw it DOWN the field rather than checking it down. The only time I see RW checking down is when he's about to get sacked. The net result is the chance for more explosive pass plays for chunk yards.

No doubt there is great potential for RGIII to be an elite QB, but I'm not sure if he'll ever be the cerebral type, ie. Manning bros, Brees, Brady, etc. On the other hand, I can definitely see RW becoming that type of QB. And that could be the difference between just making the playoffs and winning a SB.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
Think about this - The better RGIII does for the Skins, the worse the Rams Draft picks will be. Ding!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
5280Hawk":1hwnbozf said:
Think about this - The better RGIII does for the Skins, the worse the Rams Draft picks will be. Ding!

meh, draft slot doesn't matter....its what you do with the picks you have that does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IMO RG3 is just a taller/faster version of Wilson. Both use their legs and have big accurate arms.

The biggest difference is that Wilson is smarter when it comes to taking hits. Like Gruden said last night, RG3 is not long for this league if he keeps taking hits like that. Russell does a much better job of getting out of bounds, sliding and avoiding serious contact.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
meh, draft slot doesn't matter....its what you do with the picks you have that does.
Granted you can find some Gems in later slots or later rounds(wilson!) but it does matter.

Otherwise they'd just just let them pick alphabetically, right? i think Arizona and atlanta would be pretty unstoppable eventually.

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
First off, the stats that were linked left out some mighty important categories if we want a fair comparison. For instance, how many completions for RG3, were screen passes that didn't cross the line of scrimmage, but the WR/RB turned it into a huge gain (yards after completion)? How many were checkdowns?

Maybe it was just the gameplan last night (could have been to try and mitigate the NY pass rush), but the Redskins offense seems very bland. Read options, draws and screens to setup play action slants. That was the majority of the play calling last night.

I thought I heard the announcers say something last night about how the Redskins are currently last in the league in converting 3rd and long situations. So basically, anytime an opposing team KNOWS RG3 is passing, he has struggled. That may not all be on him, but it is a very telling statistic. To me, it makes him seem less threatening as a pocket quarterback than Russell Wilson is. Stop the run, and you stop the Redskins. That's not necessarily the case in Seattle.

RG3 seems like a "Young Mike Vick", who's team actually BUILT around him. Could you imagine a young Vick in that exact offense?

Wilson seems to me like a more prototypical QB, who's got the "option" of using his legs. Personally, I'll take Russ over RG3, and have no second thoughts.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Here's a great stat from Peter King this I think is really sheds some light on RG3 success or lack therof.
(you'll have to scroll down)
http://m.si.com/479867/crennel-quinn-op ... vy-hearts/

"#15-Washington- I'll repeat my stat from Friday's Column: Robert Griffin III has converted 4 of 44 3rd and 8 or longer opportunities this season."

That's 9% on 3rd and long. That's horrific. That doesn't suggest (at least to me) RG3 is a "clutch thrower" yet.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Two similar players with similar stats....both fun to watch! :th2thumbs:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
RGIII is the better athlete.

RW has less holes/flaws in his game for defenses to exploit... and for him to hone.

Time will tell which QB has won the most games/divisions/conference championships/SBs.

This is just one helluva rookie QB class.

HawkWow

Reaction score
There is zero chance I would trade RW for RG3. Zero. Griffin is a very special athlete and I will miss the electricity he has brought to the game. He won't be around long. Shanahan is acting like a pimp the way he is dialing plays up for him. It's about job security for Shanahan and he only needs Griffin to last as long as he wants to coach.

I owe Pete an apology for chastising him for holding RW back. It's clear Carroll knows what he's doing (long term) and I am just a fan.

Uffda

Reaction score
Seems like RW3 is more intelligent, football wise, than RGIII is an athlete ?

Then there's that work ethic...

MrCarey

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1uicx2yv said:
4 INTs all year isn't luck.

I'm a Redskins fan after Seahawks. It's a LOT of luck. The fans even cheer his magic fumbles, man.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I think RGIII stats are a little inflated but not much.

He is a good player and trust me - if his stock wasn't so high - Carroll would have been all over him. I acutally though the Hawks would trade up for him early in the college season and then he exploded.

I think Wilson over the long term will last just because he will have better durability and ability to play from inside the pocket over time. It will be interesting to see when RGIII's athleticism wanes with time whether he will be quite as effective. For now though he has been the best rookie QB slightly ahead of Wilson.

Bipolar

Reaction score
let me put it this way, comparing RW to RGIII is like comparing a Subaru WRX STI to a Porsche 911 GT3.

RW is clearly a better bang for your buck while giving you 90% of performance, and his intangibles are through the roof.

RG3 is simply a better athlete, runs faster, has cannon of an arm, very accurate, does all things right and ultimately will make shit load of money.

there is a very good reason why RG3 was taken 2nd overall (and, frankly, could have been taken 1st overall), he is THAT good of a QB!

hawker84

Reaction score
can't argue that as much as i want to.. watched him in that giants game, and man is he impressive... poised, atheletic, and a threat every play... what really impressed me besides the fact that he's a very well spoken young man is, his knowledge and ability to break down plays while talking to the Monday night football crew... very articulate, and new his x's and o's.. love me some RW for all the same reasons, but RGIII is every bit as impressive...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not really gonna' compare them, RG3 is probably the better player. I think Luck and RG3 are both better players. But, the fact that we got a guy who's right there w/them in the THIRD ROUND is what I care about. They gave up a ton of draft picks to get the guy, we gave up nothing. This assures that the Hawks don't have to take a chance on a QB in the first round, which has hurt a lot of teams over the years if it doesn't pan out. They can concentrate on another important position in the 1st round.
The difference between Wilson and the other two is very minimal, and a shocking surprise. PC and company know what they are doing, and I can't imagine how many teams are kicking themselves right now for not swooping this guy up.

Bipolar

Reaction score
we spent 1st round pick on Bruce Irvin -- did he perform like a true 1st rounder? I don't think so. so from the drafting standpoint PC/JS did not follow conventional wisdom, but also didn't make the team worse off...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uffda":1xkmfq1x said:
Seems like RW3 is more intelligent, football wise, than RGIII is an athlete ?

Then there's that work ethic...

Rg3 is extremely intelligent as well and has a great work ethic.

They're both going to be great for a long time, I think Wilson will be great longer unless Griffin stops taking so much punishment.