Would you accept Matt Hasselbeck in 2013 as Wilson's backup?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4bg3p2ua said:
Just spit-balling here, this has no rumor behind it or anything.. but say the Seahawks move Flynn to the Jets or something for a pick and the Titans cut ties with Hasselbeck.

Would you welcome Hass back to be the vet backup behind Wilson? It would give us a solid guy to have just in case something happened to Wilson, while at the same time allow Hass to retire as a Seahawk.

Thoughts?
I will answer your question with more questions.

Do you want Hass to retire as a Hawk for sentimental reasons, or do you really think he both fits the offense and gives us a good chance to win if Russell gets hurt?
Do you think there is much chance this front office would want Hass?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":1lnncbaz said:
I didn't mean Hass was the only option, I'm just legitimately curious. A lot of the posters who said "no" said they would rather have Flynn, but the question specifically said Flynn is not an option.

To be honest, I couldn't even tell you who's available. It just seems like as a fanbase, we don't know when to let go. Half the board were desperate to get Holmgren back when Ruskell got fired. Now we're discussing whether we'd like Matt Hasselbeck to come back aged 38 to be a backup and mentor for Russell Wilson - who hasn't needed a mentor or a big name backup for that matter so far.

I'd rather just remember that team... Hass, SA, Big Walt, Holmy etc... for the era they created and that one great year that got this team to the big game. We've moved on now. Different era. Whoever backs up Wilson... he just needs to look good holding a clipboard.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hass has an 83 rating, a 62% completion percentage and more TD's than INT's this season. He's still plenty good enough to be a reliable back up for 1 more season.

decaff907

Reaction score
I'd love to see Matt Hasselbeck back in Seahawk blue. However, and I'm sure I"ll be bashed for this, but I'd be completely in favor of bringing Mike Vick in to back up Russell next year if we do indeed get rid of Flynn. In fact, I think he's a better fit in our offense than either Flynn or Hass. Just throwing it out there.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1e78ue8y said:
Hass has an 83 rating, a 62% completion percentage and more TD's than INT's this season. He's still plenty good enough to be a reliable back up for 1 more season.

We're also running zone read in Seattle, tons of bootleg and play action, run option. I'm guessing that's here to stay. We're taking shots downfield. We're not running a timing, short passing system. Would it not make sense to concentrate on signing a backup who can keep the offense as it is should Wilson pick up an injury?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
What would be the advantage of having a 38 year old player be our backup besides the nostalgia factor?

razgriz737

Reaction score
decaff907":2o73mx80 said:
I'd love to see Matt Hasselbeck back in Seahawk blue. However, and I'm sure I"ll be bashed for this, but I'd be completely in favor of bringing Mike Vick in to back up Russell next year if we do indeed get rid of Flynn. In fact, I think he's a better fit in our offense than either Flynn or Hass. Just throwing it out there.
I actually kinda agree, but I think he'd demand way too much money.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2lresuoc said:
Zebulon Dak":2lresuoc said:

We're also running zone read in Seattle, tons of bootleg and play action, run option. I'm guessing that's here to stay. We're taking shots downfield. We're not running a timing, short passing system. Would it not make sense to concentrate on signing a backup who can keep the offense as it is should Wilson pick up an injury?

It would absolutely make sense. It would make perfect sense.

pehawk

Reaction score
decaff907":3ozulxde said:

Me too.

But as a NFL fan I want to see Vick start one last time. Love watching him play too much when he's on. Here's to the 2013 Bills being lead by Vick!

kobebryant

Reaction score
I love Hass but his time has come and gone, he will be 38 and isn't very good anymore. Doesn't fit this offense at all. He casts a pretty big shadow here. I'm not into sentiment, I'm into winning football.

I see no reason not to roll with Flynn again, he has proven to be one of the best backups in the league. Between him and Russ we're still paying below average on the QB position.

Hypothetically, I'll play: if no Flynn, Tjack if available. Warrior and highly respected in the locker room, can win games with this team, knows the offense and could learn/operate the read option.

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2hgizhfc said:
Zebulon Dak":2hgizhfc said:

Not saying I want him, but, I never agreed with Hass being a short-route, timing QB. He did very well using his IQ to throw open long routes to Britt and Wright. We'll never know for sure, but I think the WCO eventually prohibited his strength, his football IQ.

Thats a total, "IMO".

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Chances this team is going to bring back a QB that they've cut ties with in the past: slim to none.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":fcz9msd6 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":fcz9msd6 said:
Zebulon Dak":fcz9msd6 said:

Not saying I want him, but, I never agreed with Hass being a short-route, timing QB. He did very well using his IQ to throw open long routes to Britt and Wright. We'll never know for sure, but I think the WCO eventually prohibited his strength, his football IQ.

Thats a total, "IMO".

The offense we're running now is a lot like the one I'd always wanted to see Hass play in. As much as Holmgren helped Hass turn into the player he was, I also think he held him back. Just my opinion, obviously, and I'm an idiot.

razgriz737

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few seasons. I honestly don't think we keep Flynn for too long.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1du1cpws said:
The offense we're running now is a lot like the one I'd always wanted to see Hass play in. As much as Holmgren helped Hass turn into the player he was, I also think he held him back. Just my opinion, obviously, and I'm an idiot.

I agree with all of your points, except the ones you made in your first two sentences.

;)

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Tech Worlds":qcan0zux said:
All you guys that want Hass remind me of Mariner fans.

Let's sign Joey Cora cause we liked him too.

Is Joey Cora still playing? Can he still hit?

The Radish

Reaction score
I have to admit to laughing a lot at the thought of Flynn "demanding" a trade. pffft!

He's under contract, what's he going to do not play? :roll:

He's here to stay for at least the length of his contract cause his time has about come and gone too. You think other coaches will now think Pete has no clue about QBs and will take Flynn?

And Matty? I truly think he will retire at the end of this season anyway. He got his pay day, sign with the Hawks for a day and retire a Seahawk cause everyone knows him as that.

Either get into broadcasting or coaching, or just go to his home in Chelan and enjoy the good life he's earned. I think he's smart enough to know that.

:th2thumbs:

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":cy9yoour said:
Tech Worlds":cy9yoour said:
All you guys that want Hass remind me of Mariner fans.

Let's sign Joey Cora cause we liked him too.

Is Joey Cora still playing? Can he still hit?

I still remember that time he cried. And, the other time he cried. And, that other, other time he cried. He could be our Charlie Batch.

Latest posts