Would you accept Matt Hasselbeck in 2013 as Wilson's backup?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I fully expect Flynn to be gone this off season. There are to many teams in need of an upgrade and Flynn right now is the best option available. Plus I fully expect Flynn to demand a trade or release and if possibly make some threats to be public about it if the Seahawks don't comply and based on everyone's expectation of him being our starter and being unexpectantly bypassed by Wilson, I can't imagine teams would hold it against him if he were to make demands.

That being said, I think we need to draft a QB early, that can be developed but that will likely be someone who may not be immediately ready and having a mentor like Hasselbeck, who could also fill the back up role if needed, IMO would be the best case scenario.

Matt's play this year has been up and down but that entire Titans team is a complete mess. There is something seriously wrong with the way they are running that team and it shows with the inconsistency they display from game to game.

If we had to rely on Matt for a couple games with our running game and defense plus with a better receiving core than Matt has ever had to throw to, I think Matt would do fine in our system if Wilson went down for a game or two.

Not to mention at this stage of his career we could get him likely close to the league minimum and he could retire a Seahawk. Plus if we were to win the super bowl, he would get his ring he so much deserves. If not for officiating, he would have an NFL MVP trophy to go along with it. Unless you think his chop block was to violant.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Our offensive line has barely improved from 2008. He'd still get battered.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Nope. Time to move on. We need to let go.

And Flynn is probably still going to be in Seattle next year. There were a ton of teams needing a QB last year too and they decided free agent Matt Flynn for $10m guaranteed wasn't the answer. So why is someone going to decide - actually, now that he's a year older and not won the job in Seattle, we'll pay some of that contract and also give up a draft pick too.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
My answer is most likely no. I wouldn't want Hass as the next in line guy if something bad happened to Russell.

BUT... If we were to talk of an imaginary scenario where your backup never sees the field, I'd take Hass in a second. Russell is the man, an awesome leader, a crazy student of the game, and everyhing else. But I would still really like to give him a vet who has been there before as a mentor on the sidelines. Kind of what Hass had with Dilfer. Russell doesn't currently have that. There is no accounting for experience. Even the most talented young players can benefit from mentorship. Hass would be the perfect guy for that role with Russ. A selfless vet who has been through it all. A great teammate with little ego.

Can we just sign Matt as a highly paid qb coach? ;)

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I wouldn't like it. It's a feel good story, but we are a football team, and those moves won't help us win games.

Things you want your backup QB to be/have:

1. Not injury prone, as if your starter and #2 go down, then you are in trouble. Hass is injury prone.

2. In PC's offense, not TO prone. PC hates INT's and Fumbles. Hass lacks arm strength so he is INT prone and such. We saw this his last year here.

3. Some upside, just in case (god hope not) Russ goes down to a season/career ending injury, and the backup has to play all season. And it's also nice if you can fetch a few picks for your backup. #1 and #2 are a lot more important though.

4. Low cost. This is the only area where Hass would beat out Flynn.

I'd take Flynn.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
im surprised by how many people would want him back. personally i think this is his last year but i would love for him to retire a seahawk. The guy was a great leader, a good team personality, and was part of the reason we got to the superbowl. As a backup qb in 2013 however, i dont see it happening even if it was an option and flynn was traded.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd rather not. Hasselbeck is my all time favorite Seahawk, but the only way this could make sense is if there was a significant financial savings from Matt Flynn or if the team traded Flynn for a good draft pick- both strike me as unlikely. And if all things were equal, I'd much rather have Flynn stepping in than Hasselbeck.

MontanaHawk05":1es52ply said:
Our offensive line has barely improved from 2008. He'd still get battered.

That's not even close to being true. In fairness to your argument, I doubt he'd last more than 4 games behind anything less than a stellar pass pro line.

SeaTown81":1es52ply said:
BUT... If we were to talk of an imaginary scenario where your backup never sees the field, I'd take Hass in a second. Russell is the man, an awesome leader, a crazy student of the game, and everyhing else. But I would still really like to give him a vet who has been there before as a mentor on the sidelines. Kind of what Hass had with Dilfer. Russell doesn't currently have that. There is no accounting for experience. Even the most talented young players can benefit from mentorship. Hass would be the perfect guy for that role with Russ. A selfless vet who has been through it all. A great teammate with little ego.

FWIW, Wilson already has a veteran QB mentor in Warren Moon. Maybe Hasselbeck could teach Wilson how to be more spontaneous and fun in interviews though. That would be nice.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
kearly":1qu8402m said:
Maybe Hasselbeck could teach Wilson how to be more spontaneous and fun in interviews though. That would be nice.

He is loosening up a little bit as time goes on. I think back to Hasselbeck when he first started here, he wasn't nearly as endearing as he was at the end of his career. You have to figure, Wilson is still feeling his way out through all of this, I am sure by the time his 4-5 season rolls around, his candor will show up a bit more.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I'm curious as to who some of you would rather have as a backup if not Hass, as the whole premise of this hypothetical scenario is that Flynn is not an option.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
No. He is really limited in what he can do. Time for him to hang it up. The only way I would sign him was for a 1 day sign and retire as a Hawk.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Yes. To talk to Russ, not play. Russ will break favre's consecutive starts record.

MexHawk

Reaction score
In a heartbeat. He's my all time favorite Seahawk and I'd love to see finishing his career in Seattle. I think he could be a good game manager in case he had to play a couple of quarters. And if we eventually win the superbowl he could have his ring! But that's just me.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
kearly":2qx60ak0 said:
FWIW, Wilson already has a veteran QB mentor in Warren Moon.

Not the same as having a vet with you on the sidelines and in the locker room during the week.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":34xzvbom said:
I'm curious as to who some of you would rather have as a backup if not Hass, as the whole premise of this hypothetical scenario is that Flynn is not an option.

How about someone who won't be 38 years old within the first month of next season?

razgriz737

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":xgxsp4zq said:
razgriz737":xgxsp4zq said:

How about someone who won't be 38 years old within the first month of next season?
I didn't mean Hass was the only good answer, I'm just legitimately curious. A lot of the posters who said "no" said they would rather have Flynn, but the question specifically said Flynn is not an option.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
I know it's not part of the scenario, but I would take Hass as the third string as long as we had a legit second string. That way, you have the experience factor for Wilson's development and Matt would have (having agreed to the role when signing the contract) no thought of taking over the starting role and complete focus on developing Russell. Just my two cents.