Whose fault is the Hawks defensive woes?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Whose fault is the Hawks defensive woes?
Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:08 pm

• Yes.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Aside from that last boneheaded play, it was just Marshall balling out. I guess that is on the coach to not single him out more but I guess they were just confident in Sherman and Browner being able to man him up.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

• sturg78 wrote:Aside from that last boneheaded play, it was just Marshall balling out. I guess that is on the coach to not single him out more but I guess they were just confident in Sherman and Browner being able to man him up.

Stop, just stop. It was Matt Stafford and the Lions with their backs against the wall. Then it was AP just doing his thing. Then it was Dolphins doing...<insert excuse>

The defense is regressing. Period.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• Zone defense. I don't know if that is an and/or option for the players and coaches.

Often, it's one or the other: calling, substituting, or executing.
    Last edited by entropyrulesall on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

• Coaches on this one.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• When one guy beats you, its on the coaches. When the team consistently fails on 3rd and long, its the coaches. When you have so many ballers on the D like we do and they faulter as such, its the coaches.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

• Entropy has this one. We were in zone defense all first half, and Marshall killed us. We switched to bump and run, and mostly shut him down the 2nd half.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• We held the Bears to 17pts on their home turf, and we suck? Yes, that one play sucked big time, but if our Defense hadn't held them to 14 pts previously, we never would have had a chance.

But hey, haters gonna hate.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• Very good points LymonHawk. Might as well appreciate the win (we sure as hell have beat ourselves up over the last week). A win is a friggin WIN!
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• LymonHawk wrote:We held the Bears to 17pts on their home turf, and we suck? Yes, that one play sucked big time, but if our Defense hadn't held them to 14 pts previously, we never would have had a chance.

There were several open receivers who dropped key passes, including a deep TD strike where the receiver blew past Brandon Browner. We couldn't get pressure on an awful Bears OL. It's concerning. I'm psyched for the win, but there's legit reasons to be concerned.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:We held the Bears to 17pts on their home turf, and we suck? Yes, that one play sucked big time, but if our Defense hadn't held them to 14 pts previously, we never would have had a chance.

There were several open receivers who dropped key passes, including a deep TD strike where the receiver blew past Brandon Browner. We couldn't get pressure on an awful Bears OL. It's concerning. I'm psyched for the win, but there's legit reasons to be concerned.

Agreed.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• It's on coaching. They need to rush the passer more.

And hate to say it, but it looked like our corners could have used some adderall today...
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• It's gotta be both. Seems like players are getting away from the basics and trying to do to much, and the coaches need to straighten that out.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:We held the Bears to 17pts on their home turf, and we suck? Yes, that one play sucked big time, but if our Defense hadn't held them to 14 pts previously, we never would have had a chance.

Funny that you mention that play and state that we couldn't get any pressure. For one, pressure from Clemmons forced Cutler out of the pocket and if holding was called after the RT tackled CC to the ground then that play would not have mattered at all.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Our pass rush has pretty much disappeared over the last few weeks. They need to pick it up big time.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure you're not using one play where we got a little bit of pressure to excuse the lack of it all game.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:

Agreed.

Disagree
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:I'm sure you're not using one play where we got a little bit of pressure to excuse the lack of it all game.

No, I am using the example that you gave to dispute your faulty claims. Now, if you had used a better example, then you may have me swayed.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• I don't think I need to sway you unless you didn't watch the game.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• I just watched the play again on Football Night in America. Watch that play and get back to me.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• First of all, I never said that these issues occurred on the same play. They were separate sentences for a reason. Second of all, I'm talking about a game and the issues therein. Not a single play. Stop being so asinine.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• I'll tell you what is wrong with the Defense........they need the 12th Man to function properly! Without them, they are out of synch.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I thought the D played VERY well today, sans one play. Cutler can Marshall can become unstoppable for stretches. Ain't a darn thing ANYBODY can do about it. No coach, no player, no scheme. We COMPLETELY shut down EVERYBODY else. If it wasn't for our defense playing great, we would have been a few scores behind by half. The pass rush wasn't good, but the Bears were getting rid of it quickly today and only held it long enough to go down the field once or twice. Take away "the play", and I'll take that defensive performance 100 times out of 100.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:First of all, I never said that these issues occurred on the same play. They were separate sentences for a reason. Second of all, I'm talking about a game and the issues therein. Not a single play. Stop being so asinine.

Regardless, both sentences were addressed with that one play. We do not get pressure every play, but the d-line gets pressure as evidenced by Cutler leaving the pocket, scramble, and throw the ball away a few times.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Whose fault

Youth
    warden
    NET Veteran

• Curry, if you watched that game and came away pleased with our pass rush, I don't really know what to say. Sure, it's not as if we NEVER EVER got pressure, but the amount of pressure applied throughout the game, particularly against a makeshift OL that is one of the worst in the game, is not acceptable, and I'd argue is a huge weakness of the defense.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:Curry, if you watched that game and came away pleased with our pass rush, I don't really know what to say. Sure, it's not as if we NEVER EVER got pressure, but the amount of pressure applied throughout the game, particularly against a makeshift OL that is one of the worst in the game, is not acceptable, and I'd argue is a huge weakness of the defense.

Was I overly pleased? No. Nor was I overly upset by the amount of pressure either. Being that the defensive coaching staff handcuffed the d-line with three and four man rushes against five to six man protections I feel like they did well. I mean, even on the ridiculously stupid 56 yard completion to Marshall the Seahawks flushed Cutler with a three-man rush and almost had a sack had Jones kept his feet on the turf.

I see today's pass-rush, and the away pass-rush for the season as being a schematic fail by Bradley. You have press corners and speed at LB with a couple of above average DE's and you run a three-man rush and zone coverage? That is pure ignorance. Blitz a LB every once in awhile.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:Curry, if you watched that game and came away pleased with our pass rush, I don't really know what to say. Sure, it's not as if we NEVER EVER got pressure, but the amount of pressure applied throughout the game, particularly against a makeshift OL that is one of the worst in the game, is not acceptable, and I'd argue is a huge weakness of the defense.

I'd agree that it's not acceptable in the sense that we know our guys are capable of better, a la the Packers game. I don't know how anyone could be happy with only forcing Cutler to scramble a few times when he's playing behind (arguably) the worst OL in the league. Now I know we're not going to get 8 sacks in the first half every game, but there has to be some middle ground between the performance against the Packers and what we saw today that we can expect semi-consistently.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Giblien wrote:The players or the coaches?

sutz wrote:Yes.

:13:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Fire John Marshall
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

• "It's the coaches fault."

Translation: "I like all of these players too much to admit that they aren't as good as I thought they were."
    Superbowl.
    NJHawksFan
    NET Practice Squad

• hawkfannj wrote:Fire John Marshall

I also blame the T.J. Houshmandzadeh signing.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• You cannot solely blame one or the other....... but I think the majority of the blame has to go with the "ball-less D-coord" Gus Bradley!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information