Probable BCS Bowl matchups

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I expect it to look like this when its announced tomorrow:

Title Game: Alabama vs Notre Dame.... Will Notre Dame score? Will they make it past the 50 yard line?

Rose Bowl: Stanford vs Wisconsin... they should bring back Keith jackson for this game and air it in black and white because its going to be a total retro, throwback, 1960's style football game. Stanford should win.

Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs Kansas State.... I love this matchup for the Ducks. I dont think K STate can hang with UO's speed. Baylor put up 52 on them. The Ducks are Baylor with a much better defense. Ducks win in a blowout.

Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma vs Florida... Great offense vs Great defense. I'm going to predict a minor upset with Oklahoma winning.

Orange Bowl: Florida State vs Louisville... Not a very exciting matchup. FSU wins.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sounds like UW might be going to the Vegas Bowl to play Boise State. Although of course thats not set in stone yet.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm calling it now, Notre Dame wins in a close one. Georgia exposed the weaknesses of Alabama today and overall, Notre Dame has a better defensive line that Georgia. Georgia has a couple of Superstars, but they don't have the cohesive line that the Fighting Irish have. The fear of being unbeatable has left the Alabama mystique that once surrounded it and opposing teams are no longer intimidated. If anything, the Crimson Tide players may be starting to doubt their invinicibility being beat by Johnny Football and despite running all over them, almost being beat by a team that can throw the ball in the Bulldogs.

Alabama hasn't faced a team like Notre Dame with it's offensive firepower, and I believe that will be their downfall. Notre Dame wins 28 - 21

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
ivotuk":1jajosiv said:
I'm calling it now, Notre Dame wins in a close one. Georgia exposed the weaknesses of Alabama today and overall, Notre Dame has a better defensive line that Georgia. Georgia has a couple of Superstars, but they don't have the cohesive line that the Fighting Irish have. The fear of being unbeatable has left the Alabama mystique that once surrounded it and opposing teams are no longer intimidated. If anything, the Crimson Tide players may be starting to doubt their invinicibility being beat by Johnny Football and despite running all over them, almost being beat by a team that can throw the ball in the Bulldogs.

Alabama hasn't faced a team like Notre Dame with it's offensive firepower, and I believe that will be their downfall. Notre Dame wins 28 - 21

Did you really just say Notre Dame and offensive fire power in the same sentence? Where exactly do you see this fire power? I'd say they're the opposite of an "offensive firepower" type team. If anything they're a team thats carried by their defense. (and by officiating at times).

The only way Notre Dame wins is if Alabama spends hte next month listening to how easily they're going to win and comes in completely flat. And I dont even think this Alabama team is nearly as good as the Alabama teams of the last couple years.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3d7tvalf said:
I expect it to look like this when its announced tomorrow:

Title Game: Alabama vs Notre Dame.... Will Notre Dame score? Will they make it past the 50 yard line?

Rose Bowl: Stanford vs Wisconsin... they should bring back Keith jackson for this game and air it in black and white because its going to be a total retro, throwback, 1960's style football game. Stanford should win.

Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs Kansas State.... I love this matchup for the Ducks. I dont think K STate can hang with UO's speed. Baylor put up 52 on them. The Ducks are Baylor with a much better defense. Ducks win in a blowout.

Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma vs Florida... Great offense vs Great defense. I'm going to predict a minor upset with Oklahoma winning.

Orange Bowl: Florida State vs Louisville... Not a very exciting matchup. FSU wins.
Ouch.... No Oklahoma won't beat my Gators. Personally I wanted you guys, but Fiesta Bowl gets first pick and they'll pick Oregon.

Rat

Reaction score
ESPN is reporting that Northern Illinois got into the BCS over Oklahoma.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Rat":1eytw06y said:
ESPN is reporting that Northern Illinois got into the BCS over Oklahoma.
Yeah, CBS Sports is saying NIU will play Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

pehawk

Reaction score
I like that NIU got in. I know I'm alone, but I like to see the NIU's stack up...kind of what its about for me. Besides, all BCS schools can go if they win, so Oklahoma has noone but themselves too blame.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":1dxufgaj said:
I like that NIU got in. I know I'm alone, but I like to see the NIU's stack up...kind of what its about for me. Besides, all BCS schools can go if they win, so Oklahoma has noone but themselves too blame.

Man, i hate it. Now both the Sugar Bowl and the Orange Bowl are completely uninteresting to me. If they had to stick Northern Illinois in there I wish they would have matched them up with Louisville so they made just one boring game rather then two.

Rat

Reaction score
pehawk":18h7901m said:
I like it too. I don't really care about FSU or Oklahoma, so I'd rather see the David vs Goliath matchup.

NIU is no pushover. Jordan Lynch is legit.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Glad OU is out but NIU I'm not sure should of qualified. It's strange that the system took care of NIU this season but stiffed BSU the two years prior. Maybe that is just the circumstances that played out this season? (Other teams crapping the bed)

Good job winning out after the first game and it gets money for the school(NIU) so there is that.

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3n4kyit7 said:
pehawk":3n4kyit7 said:

Man, i hate it. Now both the Sugar Bowl and the Orange Bowl are completely uninteresting to me. If they had to stick Northern Illinois in there I wish they would have matched them up with Louisville so they made just one boring game rather then two.

I HATE it when they do that. I want to see NIU against real competition. It makes it interesting. And, it's not like Florida's a perfect team, they're flawed.

Wasn't it 4 years ago Utah strangled and manhandled Alabama in the Sugar?

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":taupemp0 said:
JSeahawks":taupemp0 said:

I HATE it when they do that. I want to see NIU against real competition. It makes it interesting. And, it's not like Florida's a perfect team, they're flawed.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if Northern Illinois beat them. I think bowl games are about who wants to be there more winning, not necessarily the best team winning. Northern ILlinois will definatly be motivated, but will Florida?

SEC FAN

Reaction score
We'll see shortly how this breaks down. This is what I've been seeing.

Jan. 1 Rose: Wisconsin (Big Ten) vs. Stanford (Pac-12). I like Stanford but man did Wisconsin look great last night. Stanfords new QB is pretty damn good and I love how they run the ball.

Jan. 1 Orange: Florida State (ACC) vs. Northern Illinois (at-large). I have no idea. Never seen Northern Illinois play.

Jan. 2 Sugar: Florida (SEC) vs. Louisville (at-large). Florida is playing good ball. Beat 3 top 10 teams. Louisville will be overwhelmed. This will be a laugher.

Jan. 3 Fiesta: Kansas State (Big 12) vs. Oregon (at-large). This is a game that should have been played already. I think KSU is scarred of Oregon and I like Chip Kelly getting a month to prepare. Klein isn't that good imo and Oregons defense should get healthy and be ready.

Jan. 7 BCS national championship (Miami): Notre Dame (BCS No. 1) vs. Alabama (BCS No. 2). I'll just say Alabama for now. This game will get plenty more breakdown and debate in the coming month.

kearly

Reaction score
NIU is the same tiny school that Chandler Harnish carried on his back the last several seasons before being Mr. Irrelevant in the 2012 draft. To say that NIU's season is surprising is an understatement. This isn't just a small school crashing the party, it's a small school crashing the party after they lost a great QB to graduation.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I believe ND has a shot to beat 'Bama. Not sayin' they will but I think they hang better than most believe. I think they match up pretty well physically with the Tide and when was the last time that was said about any team outside of the SEC? Unfortunately I think QB play will win it in the long run for Alabama.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3jf6exvl said:
pehawk":3jf6exvl said:
JSeahawks":3jf6exvl said:

Wouldnt surprise me at all if Northern Illinois beat them. I think bowl games are about who wants to be there more winning, not necessarily the best team winning. Northern ILlinois will definatly be motivated, but will Florida?

1. They are not playing NIU
2. NIU in a BCS bowl Game is a joke
3. The last time florida played a Big East team in the Sugar Bowl, they destroyed them

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1mx3jswl said:
JSeahawks":1mx3jswl said:
pehawk":1mx3jswl said:

These BCS games are an embarrassment to College football. NIU will get destroyed, Florida sometimes plays down to their competition, but its the Sugar Bowl. They will hurt Louisville, it's gonna be ugly. I like Bridgewater, but my Gators are the best defense in the country.

At least the Fiesta Bowl got it right.

NYCoug

Reaction score
NIU is going to surprise a whole lot of people and don't be surprised if it's the game that finally puts QB Jordan Lynch on the map. He's only 6' 216 but he plays much bigger than he's listed and runs like a tank. Actually, he reminds me of our own Lynch when he's running, or should I say, waddling with the ball. He's #3 in the NCAA in total yards but has gotten little to no love because of NIU's limited exposure. That's bound to change with the Huskies getting a bid to the Orange.

I'm with you on this 1 pe. I absolutely love it when teams like NIU get a chance on the national stage. Funny thing is most of the non-BCS teams that have made it to BCS bowls have fared quite well for themselves. Don't be surprised if it happens again here. I've got NIU with the upset.

redeye81

Reaction score
ND strengths play right to Alabama's.. Run game vs run defense.. can't wait.. i think ND will pull out an upset!!!