Officiating this game

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
kidhawk":16dyorf6 said:
Russ Willstrong":16dyorf6 said:
Blow to the head of Rice on the final play. Major Wright launching a shoulder to Rice's head but never called. Refs were whoring with da Bears.
I FULLY expect to see a minimum $25,000 fine for that hit on Rice at the end of the game. If Thomas had to pay $15,000 for his hit the week before, that hit on Rice is worthy of at least 25k.

I have seen plenty of calls in the NFL go for us and against us. Of course as a homer, I see more against us, but this game was particularly harsh. I actually was starting to feel like it was XL all over again. The only difference IMO (besides the obvious nature of the super bowl vs. regular season) is that we were able to continue to rally and eventually win this game in spite of the odds being heavily weighted against us.

you guys both have to be joking. he wasnt defensless . AT ALL. its football and when your a ball carrier they can hit you as hard as you want.

on the officiating - id be surprised if pete isnt calling the nfl office right now about it.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
There were two fumbles that we recovered, the first one you mentioned on the kickoff, the second was a running back that clearlry fumbled and a seahawk recovered it and they quickly went to the next play without showing a replay on tv, it was clearly and quickly avoided and not mentioned but the seahawk clearly had the ball, it was in chi territory like the 40.

On the kickoff it was absolutely absurd how quickly that ref blew the whistle and waved his arms around. I was livid after the shot to the head that russell took when he was sliding and that fat side judge was laughing as pete was complaining and he had his arm around his shoulder like he was saying pete is the crazy one, that was so so bad, if we had lost this game i would not be watching for at least a couple weeks this game was that terrible and that obvious.

I think the worst part is there really is nothing we can do about it, we have to overcome it and start beating the crap out of teams.

jewhawk

Reaction score
One that hasn't been mentioned yet: On our final drive in regulation, on the play where Lynch fumbled near the sideline and Wilson recovered, Wilson stepped out of bounds after picking up the fumble but the clock kept running. It cost us about 30 seconds of game clock.

Also, while I agree that the officiating was horrible and one-sided all game today, it is not rigged. Put the tinfoil hats away; there's no conspiracy to rig games for certain teams. Hanlon's razor.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Mike Carey is a truly atrocious official in every way, one of the worst referees that I've seen handle games. Not only his judgment terrible, but he truly seems to think that people come to games to watch him officiate. If you're going to be a showman about how you call games, you'd better be a damn good ref like Hochuli (though yes, I realize he botched one game hard too). Being a showman on the job who constantly gets things wrong is beyond unacceptable, and he has no place continuing to be a head referee in this league.

Unfortunately his spot is probably safe.

kidhawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1g8s0fhb said:
kidhawk":1g8s0fhb said:
Russ Willstrong":1g8s0fhb said:
Blow to the head of Rice on the final play. Major Wright launching a shoulder to Rice's head but never called. Refs were whoring with da Bears.
I FULLY expect to see a minimum $25,000 fine for that hit on Rice at the end of the game. If Thomas had to pay $15,000 for his hit the week before, that hit on Rice is worthy of at least 25k.

I have seen plenty of calls in the NFL go for us and against us. Of course as a homer, I see more against us, but this game was particularly harsh. I actually was starting to feel like it was XL all over again. The only difference IMO (besides the obvious nature of the super bowl vs. regular season) is that we were able to continue to rally and eventually win this game in spite of the odds being heavily weighted against us.

you guys both have to be joking. he wasnt defensless . AT ALL. its football and when your a ball carrier they can hit you as hard as you want.

on the officiating - id be surprised if pete isnt calling the nfl office right now about it.

It's a safety issue. Hits to the head draw fines. Defenders are supposed to hit the player somewhere besides the head, Wright hit Rice in the head. The penalty was not consequential because the game was over, but he should get fined for it.

Tundra

Reaction score
jewhawk":3u7ue0iy said:
One that hasn't been mentioned yet: On our final drive in regulation, on the play where Lynch fumbled near the sideline and Wilson recovered, Wilson stepped out of bounds after picking up the fumble but the clock kept running. It cost us about 30 seconds of game clock.

Also, while I agree that the officiating was horrible and one-sided all game today, it is not rigged. Put the tinfoil hats away; there's no conspiracy to rig games for certain teams. Hanlon's razor.
I saw that too and was screaming at the TV for the clock to stop. Just more crap to add on. I'm sorry but I have been called out for calling out the refs but hey the proof is in the pudding and it will only continue until Pete and company start calling it out. His frustration was apparent today and I'm glad he was bringing this crap one sided officiating to light.

godawg

Reaction score
I have a feeling that a lot of big time gamblers in Chicago lost money on this game despite the officiating.

knownone

Reaction score
jewhawk":3cc3pwxn said:

Offensive players can't advance fumbles, the second Russell possess the ball the play ends.

It was the right call.

Basis4day

Reaction score
knownone":17onbg06 said:
jewhawk":17onbg06 said:

Offensive players can't advance fumbles, the second Russell possess the ball the play ends.

It was the right call.

Was't there a play where Sidney Rice got a dumpoff ran out of bounds and the clock kept running?

AgentDib

Reaction score
The most infuriating referee decision of the day for me was the non-call when Wilson took a hard hit while sliding down. Viewed as a solitary incident the lack of a flag may be understandable, as it was a judgement call on just when the defender launched that would have resulted in a flag most of the time but not all of the time.

In the context of the game, however, it was an atrocious non-call. Branch had just been penalized shortly before for a similar hit on a sliding QB, and by not throwing the flag on the Bears for essentially the same thing it was a complete slap in the face to concept of even officiating. It was exactly like a home plate umpire calling a larger strike zone when the visiting team is at bat.

jewhawk":1ewnjx2k said:
The question in my mind is not whether it is a result of a conspiracy, but whether it is a result of inherent biases on the part of the officials. Michael Jordan got a ton of close calls by virtue of a superstar effect where officials tended to see what they were expecting to see. In this game we saw a ton of close calls and every single one one went in the direction of the team that was playing at home, that also happened to be the favorite to win, that also happened to be the more well known team with better known plays. The call I discuss above could be an example of this as "Home team Chicago Bears Star QB Jay Cutler" was given a call and "Road team Seattle Seahawks Rookie QB Russell Wilson" did not in a very similar situation.

jewhawk

Reaction score
knownone":13xtmlmk said:
jewhawk":13xtmlmk said:

It was the right call.
From the NFL Rulebook Rule 8, Section 7, Article 3, Item 1: Recovery and Advance. Any player of either team may recover or catch a fumble and advance, either before or after the ball strikes the ground.

The exceptions are on 4th down or after the 2-minute warning, when only the defense or the member of the offense who fumbled may advance. The play was on 1st down and before the 2-minute warning, so Wilson could have advanced the ball and the clock should have been stopped when he stepped out.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
knownone":1sjpqnmr said:
jewhawk":1sjpqnmr said:

It was the right call.

It was the right enforcement, but the fumble actually hit out of bounds all of half a foot away from the official, he missed it, then the play went on and Russell recovered.

It shouuld have been out of bounds a yard further downfield with a stopped clock.

But you're right that once they blow the call and say it wasn't out of bounds, it was correct to roll it.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I didn't think the refs were so bad this game. I thought all the calls were pretty much right, they were all just close.

The punt fumble was infuriating though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dutchcoug":3bf50ft6 said:
I took notes, let me know if I forgot something:

-Fumbled punt recovered by Seahawks, they gave the ball to the Bears without clearly recovering it (Seahawks came out with it).
-Chop block on Farwell when bears player pulled him down by facemask and tripped over him
-TD by Edwards called back despite non-indisputable evidence.
-On 3rd down, illegal hands to the face on Irvin when the OL player did the same thing, at the same time.
-Blow to the head on QB by Branch (without actual blow to head or late hit).
-Defensive holding flag picked up (Wilson was still in the pocket).
-Called holding on OL despite late hit by Bears.
The wife and I just started laughing at the ubsurdity that was either being called or, perposely overlooked by the Refs today.
I honestly thought they were going to find a way to cost us this win too.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1tmxcgj4 said:
I didn't think the refs were so bad this game. I thought all the calls were pretty much right, they were all just close.

The punt fumble was infuriating though.

You think the Farewell low block call was pretty much right? ;)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Does anyone realize that Mike Carry also officiated the Miami game last week? I was pulling my hair out watching us get ticky tacky holding calls while Irvin and KJ Wright were both blatantly held on the edge to secure a 19 yard QB scramble and a 20+ yard RB scramble to the outside, yet no call. Even thought Wright was blatantly held and then tackled and the result of the play was due exactly to that hold. In plain view on the outside edge right in front of an official.

Mike Carry has a known reputation for screwing over the Seahawks, even at the clink. I have been having discussions about him since last year and it is no coincidence that this game went down exactly like it did.

I really hope Pete forces an investigation into Carry's officiating. It would be blatantly easy to make a case if they went back and did a review of the games he has called against us.

If you haven't figured it out yet, pay attention to any game he calls for (AGAINST) us. You will get to know him very well. I go through anxiety attacks watching the games he calls because it is so blatantly bias that there is absolutely no way he cannot have something against the Seahawks. It completely destroys the integrity of the game.

The good news is we didn't just beat the Bears, we beat the officials too.

Completely sickening that this is the story after a huge road.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1091pxaa said:
The Refs need their asses reamed for that non-call, and that lame assed Wright should be fined exactly $15,000.oo (exactly the fine imposed on Tate, and to Thomas if not even MORE) for dirty play.
Guarantee you if that would have happened to Rodgers, or Peyton Manning Etc., Wright would have been fined a lot more, and the Refs wouldn't have just glossed over that blow to the head like they did.
If the Refs can't fairly and correctly call these games, then the NFL needs to demand that the temporary Referees be given their whistles back, and the jobs that come with them.
The regular Refs shouldn't be given huge money and perks, when they are making so damned many F%^&ed up bad calls. :17: