Officiating this game

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Officiating this game
Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:48 pm
  • I know it was quickly forgotten during the end-game drama, but seriously there has to be something we can do. Emails? calls, anything?

It was the most atrociously one-sided officiated game i've ever seen, and the worst part is that it won't even be mentioned by anybody not a hawks fan.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Re: Officiating this game
Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:51 pm
  • I took notes, let me know if I forgot something:

-Fumbled punt recovered by Seahawks, they gave the ball to the Bears without clearly recovering it (Seahawks came out with it).
    -Chop block on Farwell when bears player pulled him down by facemask and tripped over him
    -TD by Edwards called back despite non-indisputable evidence.
    -On 3rd down, illegal hands to the face on Irvin when the OL player did the same thing, at the same time.
    -Blow to the head on QB by Branch (without actual blow to head or late hit).
    -Defensive holding flag picked up (Wilson was still in the pocket).
    -Called holding on OL despite late hit by Bears.
    dutchcoug
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:51 pm
  • Me and the wife decided during the game that bad calls and officiating errors are just another factor that we will have to face each game.

If we can conqueror during such badly called games, then we can do anything!!
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:52 pm
  • dutchcoug wrote:I took notes, let me know if I forgot something:

-Fumbled punt recovered by Seahawks, they gave the ball to the Bears without clearly recovering it (Seahawks came out with it).
    -Chop block on Farwell when bears player pulled him down by facemask and tripped over him
    -On 3rd down, illegal hands to the face on Irvin when the OL player did the same thing, at the same time.

that one pissed me off like no other. i was ready to seriously do some damage
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Rose colored glasses be damned - I can't honestly and objectively say you're not 100% right.

The ticky-tack fouls, albeit fouls on the drive that gave them their 2nd TD were easily no-call scenarios that refs always let go.

The hit on Cutler was a joke - didn't come back the other way when it was literally more egregious on RW later in the game.

That overturned TD was ridiculous. Seriously? Not enough to overturn...

I mentioned this on FB... I shouldn't know who Mike Carrey is. The fact I do tells me him and his squad are a bunch of baffoons. I would rather have the replacement refs. I stand by my original statement that the "real refs" just make faster calls - but they make as many, if not more, than the slower, plodding replacements.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Well done sir, send this to the NFL!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:53 pm
  • DericLee wrote:Me and the wife decided during the game that bad calls and officiating errors are just another factor that we will have to face each game.

Jesus..is that you?

he he j/k
    "Somebody needs to work some Photoshop magic and put Harbaugh in the car with Pete handing him a nice warm glass of Shut the F*ck Up"
    SlimHawk80
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:54 pm
  • PC looked really hot. I am sure the League offices will hear from him soon. The hit to RW and not called as BS.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:55 pm
  • I was seriously angry that Cutler got that slide hit call and two minutes later RW didnt.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Helmet to helmet hit on Wilson running for a first down.
    hawksbydesign
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 pm
  • You actually missed a hit to the head Wilson took on the dump off to Lynch as he was going down. He got slobber knocked with a forearm on top of his helmet.
    run and shoot
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 pm
  • Even if only 1 of those 7 calls were wrong (which more than 1 was).. the NFL should be embarassed by their referees ...

But another thing people should be mentioning is WHERE the calls happened in terms of the situations in the game. I believe both touchdown drives the bears had were results of at least 1 of these questionable calls. And there's at least 4 Seahawks points that came off the board because of them.

Just sad that i spend more time watching the refs than I do the players.
    rightbench
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:00 pm
  • Who wants to start a petition and email the NFL. This was borderline bogus.

I was still shocked at the end when it was finally announced we had won.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 pm
  • Here's the thing: I agree the officiating was terrible.

I agree on the Edwards catch, but it shouldn't have been an issue. Wilson missed a wide open Miller twice in the end zone the previous two plays. That's football karma biting us in the ass, although yea, I don't see the evidence to overturn that.

The hit on Cutler when he slid was a good call. No, he didn't get hit in the head, but Branch clearly hit him after he starting sliding, and it was significant. Dumb play by Branch there.

I didn't see the hand to the face by the OL on Irvin on the same play, but if it's true, I don't see how you call it on the defense.

Wilson got drug down by the head on his one sack. No call. Wilson's short, he gets hit in the head a lot, and no one calls it. It's stupid. I counted at least twice he got hit in the head, and no call.

On Wilson's slide, it was pretty bang/bang. We would be up in arms if the call went against us. You also don't get a helmet to helmet hit when the runner leaves the pocket. Once again, I don't know how they call it for Cutler, but not for Wilson, I don't get it. It's more about contact to a QB during a slide, not really a hit to the head.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 pm
  • Blow to the head of Rice on the final play. Major Wright launching a shoulder to Rice's head but never called. Refs were whoring with da Bears.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 pm
  • That was simply the most biased, one-sided officiating I’ve seen in a Seahawks game since the Super Bowl loss to the Steelers. Mike Carey and his crew should be investigated. Every call went against the Hawks, fumbles recovered by Seattle ruled recovered by Chicago, Lynch momentum stopped but the play is not ruled dead until he fumbles, roughing the passer called on Branch for the Cutler slide but on the exact same play later in the game when Wilson slides no penalty called for the helmet to helmet hit on Chicago, fake call on special times low block, Irvin for hands to the face even though the Bears player was doing the exact same thing to Irvin on the same play. Add to all that the overturned call on Edwards touchdown catch where there’s no way there was “indisputable” evidence to overturn the call on the field that it was a catch.

Can it all just be incompetance?
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:12 pm
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:Blow to the head of Rice on the final play. Major Wright launching a shoulder to Rice's head but never called. Refs were whoring with da Bears.

I FULLY expect to see a minimum $25,000 fine for that hit on Rice at the end of the game. If Thomas had to pay $15,000 for his hit the week before, that hit on Rice is worthy of at least 25k.

I have seen plenty of calls in the NFL go for us and against us. Of course as a homer, I see more against us, but this game was particularly harsh. I actually was starting to feel like it was XL all over again. The only difference IMO (besides the obvious nature of the super bowl vs. regular season) is that we were able to continue to rally and eventually win this game in spite of the odds being heavily weighted against us.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 pm
  • that hands to the face on irvin where they'd be punting from their 5 to open the 3rd.. kind of maddening.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Lynch fummel
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:39 pm
  • DericLee wrote:Me and the wife decided during the game that bad calls and officiating errors are just another factor that we will have to face each game.

That is not how it is supposed to be for any team. And just because we escaped with a win this time, doesn't make up for all the past games or the ones in the future. You can not put up the argument that good teams over come. That may hold true to a call or two, But this was yet another blatant attempt to help another team pull out a victory. Just sickening!
    djb28
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:39 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Russ Willstrong wrote:Blow to the head of Rice on the final play. Major Wright launching a shoulder to Rice's head but never called. Refs were whoring with da Bears.

I FULLY expect to see a minimum $25,000 fine for that hit on Rice at the end of the game. If Thomas had to pay $15,000 for his hit the week before, that hit on Rice is worthy of at least 25k.

I have seen plenty of calls in the NFL go for us and against us. Of course as a homer, I see more against us, but this game was particularly harsh. I actually was starting to feel like it was XL all over again. The only difference IMO (besides the obvious nature of the super bowl vs. regular season) is that we were able to continue to rally and eventually win this game in spite of the odds being heavily weighted against us.

you guys both have to be joking. he wasnt defensless . AT ALL. its football and when your a ball carrier they can hit you as hard as you want.

on the officiating - id be surprised if pete isnt calling the nfl office right now about it.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:40 pm
  • There were two fumbles that we recovered, the first one you mentioned on the kickoff, the second was a running back that clearlry fumbled and a seahawk recovered it and they quickly went to the next play without showing a replay on tv, it was clearly and quickly avoided and not mentioned but the seahawk clearly had the ball, it was in chi territory like the 40.

On the kickoff it was absolutely absurd how quickly that ref blew the whistle and waved his arms around. I was livid after the shot to the head that russell took when he was sliding and that fat side judge was laughing as pete was complaining and he had his arm around his shoulder like he was saying pete is the crazy one, that was so so bad, if we had lost this game i would not be watching for at least a couple weeks this game was that terrible and that obvious.

I think the worst part is there really is nothing we can do about it, we have to overcome it and start beating the crap out of teams.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:52 pm
  • One that hasn't been mentioned yet: On our final drive in regulation, on the play where Lynch fumbled near the sideline and Wilson recovered, Wilson stepped out of bounds after picking up the fumble but the clock kept running. It cost us about 30 seconds of game clock.

Also, while I agree that the officiating was horrible and one-sided all game today, it is not rigged. Put the tinfoil hats away; there's no conspiracy to rig games for certain teams. Hanlon's razor.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:54 pm
  • doesn't matter, RUSSELL WILSON
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:55 pm
  • Mike Carey is a truly atrocious official in every way, one of the worst referees that I've seen handle games. Not only his judgment terrible, but he truly seems to think that people come to games to watch him officiate. If you're going to be a showman about how you call games, you'd better be a damn good ref like Hochuli (though yes, I realize he botched one game hard too). Being a showman on the job who constantly gets things wrong is beyond unacceptable, and he has no place continuing to be a head referee in this league.

Unfortunately his spot is probably safe.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:59 pm
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Russ Willstrong wrote:Blow to the head of Rice on the final play. Major Wright launching a shoulder to Rice's head but never called. Refs were whoring with da Bears.

you guys both have to be joking. he wasnt defensless . AT ALL. its football and when your a ball carrier they can hit you as hard as you want.

on the officiating - id be surprised if pete isnt calling the nfl office right now about it.

It's a safety issue. Hits to the head draw fines. Defenders are supposed to hit the player somewhere besides the head, Wright hit Rice in the head. The penalty was not consequential because the game was over, but he should get fined for it.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm
  • jewhawk wrote:One that hasn't been mentioned yet: On our final drive in regulation, on the play where Lynch fumbled near the sideline and Wilson recovered, Wilson stepped out of bounds after picking up the fumble but the clock kept running. It cost us about 30 seconds of game clock.

Also, while I agree that the officiating was horrible and one-sided all game today, it is not rigged. Put the tinfoil hats away; there's no conspiracy to rig games for certain teams. Hanlon's razor.

I saw that too and was screaming at the TV for the clock to stop. Just more crap to add on. I'm sorry but I have been called out for calling out the refs but hey the proof is in the pudding and it will only continue until Pete and company start calling it out. His frustration was apparent today and I'm glad he was bringing this crap one sided officiating to light.
    Doug Baldwin does nothing but Save QB's!
    TundraApe
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm
  • Isn't there a petition thing at Whitehouse.gov? :D
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 pm
  • I have a feeling that a lot of big time gamblers in Chicago lost money on this game despite the officiating.
    godawg
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 pm
  • jewhawk wrote:One that hasn't been mentioned yet: On our final drive in regulation, on the play where Lynch fumbled near the sideline and Wilson recovered, Wilson stepped out of bounds after picking up the fumble but the clock kept running. It cost us about 30 seconds of game clock.

Offensive players can't advance fumbles, the second Russell possess the ball the play ends.

It was the right call.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:36 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    jewhawk wrote:One that hasn't been mentioned yet: On our final drive in regulation, on the play where Lynch fumbled near the sideline and Wilson recovered, Wilson stepped out of bounds after picking up the fumble but the clock kept running. It cost us about 30 seconds of game clock.

Offensive players can't advance fumbles, the second Russell possess the ball the play ends.

It was the right call.

Was't there a play where Sidney Rice got a dumpoff ran out of bounds and the clock kept running?
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 pm
  • The most infuriating referee decision of the day for me was the non-call when Wilson took a hard hit while sliding down. Viewed as a solitary incident the lack of a flag may be understandable, as it was a judgement call on just when the defender launched that would have resulted in a flag most of the time but not all of the time.

In the context of the game, however, it was an atrocious non-call. Branch had just been penalized shortly before for a similar hit on a sliding QB, and by not throwing the flag on the Bears for essentially the same thing it was a complete slap in the face to concept of even officiating. It was exactly like a home plate umpire calling a larger strike zone when the visiting team is at bat.

jewhawk wrote:Also, while I agree that the officiating was horrible and one-sided all game today, it is not rigged. Put the tinfoil hats away; there's no conspiracy to rig games for certain teams. Hanlon's razor.

The question in my mind is not whether it is a result of a conspiracy, but whether it is a result of inherent biases on the part of the officials. Michael Jordan got a ton of close calls by virtue of a superstar effect where officials tended to see what they were expecting to see. In this game we saw a ton of close calls and every single one one went in the direction of the team that was playing at home, that also happened to be the favorite to win, that also happened to be the more well known team with better known plays. The call I discuss above could be an example of this as "Home team Chicago Bears Star QB Jay Cutler" was given a call and "Road team Seattle Seahawks Rookie QB Russell Wilson" did not in a very similar situation.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:41 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    jewhawk wrote:One that hasn't been mentioned yet: On our final drive in regulation, on the play where Lynch fumbled near the sideline and Wilson recovered, Wilson stepped out of bounds after picking up the fumble but the clock kept running. It cost us about 30 seconds of game clock.

It was the right call.

From the NFL Rulebook Rule 8, Section 7, Article 3, Item 1: Recovery and Advance. Any player of either team may recover or catch a fumble and advance, either before or after the ball strikes the ground.

The exceptions are on 4th down or after the 2-minute warning, when only the defense or the member of the offense who fumbled may advance. The play was on 1st down and before the 2-minute warning, so Wilson could have advanced the ball and the clock should have been stopped when he stepped out.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 pm
  • knownone wrote:

It was the right call.

It was the right enforcement, but the fumble actually hit out of bounds all of half a foot away from the official, he missed it, then the play went on and Russell recovered.

It shouuld have been out of bounds a yard further downfield with a stopped clock.

But you're right that once they blow the call and say it wasn't out of bounds, it was correct to roll it.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 pm
  • From a Bears message board:

Bears deserved to lose that game
    Refs helped out as much as they could. Even overturned a Seattle touchdown for us.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:48 pm
  • I didn't think the refs were so bad this game. I thought all the calls were pretty much right, they were all just close.

The punt fumble was infuriating though.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

The wife and I just started laughing at the ubsurdity that was either being called or, perposely overlooked by the Refs today.
    I honestly thought they were going to find a way to cost us this win too.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 pm
  • hawksfan515 wrote:I didn't think the refs were so bad this game. I thought all the calls were pretty much right, they were all just close.

The punt fumble was infuriating though.

You think the Farewell low block call was pretty much right? ;)
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:05 pm
  • Does anyone realize that Mike Carry also officiated the Miami game last week? I was pulling my hair out watching us get ticky tacky holding calls while Irvin and KJ Wright were both blatantly held on the edge to secure a 19 yard QB scramble and a 20+ yard RB scramble to the outside, yet no call. Even thought Wright was blatantly held and then tackled and the result of the play was due exactly to that hold. In plain view on the outside edge right in front of an official.

Mike Carry has a known reputation for screwing over the Seahawks, even at the clink. I have been having discussions about him since last year and it is no coincidence that this game went down exactly like it did.

I really hope Pete forces an investigation into Carry's officiating. It would be blatantly easy to make a case if they went back and did a review of the games he has called against us.

If you haven't figured it out yet, pay attention to any game he calls for (AGAINST) us. You will get to know him very well. I go through anxiety attacks watching the games he calls because it is so blatantly bias that there is absolutely no way he cannot have something against the Seahawks. It completely destroys the integrity of the game.

The good news is we didn't just beat the Bears, we beat the officials too.

Completely sickening that this is the story after a huge road.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:12 pm
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:Blow to the head of Rice on the final play. Major Wright launching a shoulder to Rice's head but never called. Refs were whoring with da Bears.

The Refs need their asses reamed for that non-call, and that lame assed Wright should be fined exactly $15,000.oo (exactly the fine imposed on Tate, and to Thomas if not even MORE) for dirty play.
    Guarantee you if that would have happened to Rodgers, or Peyton Manning Etc., Wright would have been fined a lot more, and the Refs wouldn't have just glossed over that blow to the head like they did.
    If the Refs can't fairly and correctly call these games, then the NFL needs to demand that the temporary Referees be given their whistles back, and the jobs that come with them.
    The regular Refs shouldn't be given huge money and perks, when they are making so damned many F%^&ed up bad calls. :17:
    Last edited by scutterhawk on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:25 pm
  • At least the replacement officials weren't "bought-an'-paid-for".

'Nuff said.
    Paschtorian
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:28 pm
  • The calls on the road are becoming obnoxiously obvious in favor of the home team...

I was at the Dolphins game and there were literally 4 holds not called on the Dolphins.

It was the difference between a win and a loss.

Pick the score, Seahawks edition - 1st Season
    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96154

"Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Augusta, GA (Road Hawk)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 pm
  • Paschtorian wrote:At least the replacement officials weren't "bought-an'-paid-for".

'Nuff said.

Any wonder what the ref's leverage was in the hold-out? Those replacement refs didn't fully understand the unwritten 'rules' did they? :stirthepot:
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:37 pm
  • I swear it looked like Carey wanted to apologize to the Bear's fans for not being able to overturn the Tate touchdown. I thought he was going to cry.
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm
  • From a Summer's Eve friend of mine... like we are whining and don't know what we're talking about. Mike Carey really blows and his crew blows more.

nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:30 pm
  • I think Carey and crew are doing everything in their power to "make up" for the supposed bad call against Green Bay. It felt dirty all game long today. Most times when the Seahawks get flagged, you can see it, today, not so much. It wasn't just one flag, it was just about all of them.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:43 pm
  • I do not think the refs purposely make bad calls against us, but I do honestly believe that the league finds tendencies in our game and tell the refs to watch out for this. The league does subtle things to help out the teams who give them better ratings. Until we have the marquee player that draws a national fan base this trend will continue. This league is all about the money and never under estimate the power of greed.
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah that clock should have stopped. Not that the league will pay any attention but Pete has a whole reelsworth of tape of bad officiating from this game to send to the NFL offiices .
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:27 pm
  • I counted 12 bad no calls and bad call combined. Carey is the worst official in the league.
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm
  • Not a lot to add. Pete hopefully has enough clout with the league to demand some, if not all of this is looked at very closely.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information