Pac-12 Championship Game

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Pac-12 Championship Game
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 pm
  • Do you guys think its fair to hold the Pac-12 Title Game at the home teams venue rather than a neutral site? All the other major conferences hold it at neutral sites. SEC = Georgia Dome (Falcons). Big 10 = Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts). ACC = Bank Of America Stadium (Panthers). I just think Qualcomm (Chargers) would be the best venue for a neutral site for the Pac-12. Weather would be good, grass field, its closer to more campuses then the CLink, its a larger city than Seattle, and a better area to visit this time of year.

I just don't think its fair that a team gets home field advantage like its set up right now. Stanford getting to host UCLA at home is ridiculous. If my team had to travel to Death Valley, the Swamp, Bryant-Denny, or Sanford Stadium I would feel like thats a total disadvantage.
    Last edited by SEC FAN on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Re: Pac-12 Championship Game
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:37 pm
  • I love it.

If a team doesnt think its fair they should have won more games.

Its just another incentive to win as many games as possible and get the best record so you can host the game. Its not a true home game though, both teams get half the tickets (technically) its just played at the home venue. Plus there's lots of corporate seats and everything so its not like its part of the season ticket package or anything.

If it wasnt this way I would want it so the game goes on a rotation of all 12 stadiums. I would hate it if it was down in So Cal every single year.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42 pm
  • Of course it's fair. Why have it in LA every year, that only rewards the LA teams.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm
  • Thats a good point. If they keep the tickets at 50/50.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:Of course it's fair. Why have it in LA every year, that only rewards the LA teams.

L.A. isn't San Diego.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:55 pm
  • LA and San Diego are basically one big city, so who would draw more fans if say Oregon played USC? Well, it's an hour and a half drive for the USC fans. It's a day plus for Oregon fans. So yes... it would be rewarding the LA teams. This is just like when they attempted to move the Apple Cup to the Clink every year saying it was a neutral site. Well, who is more likely to come? People who drive at most 50 miles (Husky fans) or those who have to drive all the way across the state from Pullman?

San Diego would essentially be a home game for UCLA and USC in the same way that it would be a home game for the Husky at the Clink, and a homer for the Arizona teams if it were played in the Cards stadium.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:55 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Of course it's fair. Why have it in LA every year, that only rewards the LA teams.

L.A. isn't San Diego.

Its a lot more San Diego then Pullman, or Salt Lake City, or Corvallis, or even Palo Alto is. I dont know this to be mathematically true, but just from looking at a map it seems like the Pac 12 probably covers more miles and greater distances then most conferences do. Like the SEC even though it covers many states it seems like they're all more tightly grouped. So it makes less sense out here in the West to play it at one spot because there's no good central spot in the Conference.

I suppose if we wanted to find a good centralized location we could play it in Boise, Idaho or something.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:03 pm
  • When you live in the NW, they are :lol:
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm
  • Yeah I get it. I made the trip from Arizona to Tacoma. Stopped half way in Sacramento. I was just thinking it would be the best conditions, and best location, best weather. I just hope to see a 50/50 fan base represented at Stanford otherwise I'll feel its just a cash grab to make more money.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:11 am
  • I think having an actual home team is best for two reasons:

#1: Home crowds are louder than mixed crowds, they just aren't cheering for both teams.

#2: Neutral locations usually favor one team a little more than the other. For example, if UW plays USC in the championship game and that game is located in LA or San Diego, that location obviously favors USC. It would be like a road game for UW. It goes without saying that a Pac-12 neutral location would never be in Washington or Oregon. It would probably be in southern California somewhere. As is the case for the Pac-12 basketball tourney.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm
  • I wish it'd travel around to the various sites personally.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm
  • "Thank you Jesus for creating Dr. Pepper and giving me $100,000"

Yeah... "Jesus" gave you a university tuition courtesy of a popular soft drink.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 pm
  • Pathetic and embarassing how many empty seats there are in that stadium. Looks like its barely over half full. Stanford fans won't even show up for their really good team at home, so i'm guessing the crowd would be even smaller if it was at a neutral site.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 pm
  • Wow, that was the longest sack I've ever seen.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 pm
  • Yeah I was gonna say that San Diego and Los Angeles are definitely not one big city. It's taken me 3.5 hours to get to San Diego before with the traffic.
    USChawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 pm
  • Mora better not throw his freshman kicker under the bus like he did Olindo Mare. Great game though.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:43 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote:Mora better not throw his freshman kicker under the bus like he did Olindo Mare. Great game though.

He might want to throw his snapper under the bus though. Pretty bad snap, although I doubt he would have made the kick even if was perfect. Not on that field in those conditions.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:43 pm
  • You're probably right about the neutral site thing JSeahawk. Its kind of hard to travel and be there on a Friday and like you said the crowd wasn't even full capacity for 2 schools in the same state. Maybe the Pac-12 Championship just doesn't have the same luster as some of the other conference championships. Just seems crazy because growing up as a kid the Rose Bowl was a big deal for us kids.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote:You're probably right about the neutral site thing JSeahawk. Its kind of hard to travel and be there on a Friday and like you said the crowd wasn't even full capacity for 2 schools in the same state. Maybe the Pac-12 Championship just doesn't have the same luster as some of the other conference championships. Just seems crazy because growing up as a kid the Rose Bowl was a big deal for us kids.

Stanford especially has a pretty weak fan base that doesnt show up much. If that game is at Oregon, Washington, USC, or several other schools in the conference its an easy sell out.

The one thing i would change if i were in charge is the time of the game. Move it to Saturday night. Friday at 5 is a terrible time for a game and makes it awfully tough for many fans to get to. Or if you're going to keep it on Friday move it back a few hours. If you play it at 5 on the west coast it seems like a west coast conference pandering for an east coast audience.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:The one thing i would change if i were in charge is the time of the game. Move it to Saturday night. Friday at 5 is a terrible time for a game and makes it awfully tough for many fans to get to. Or if you're going to keep it on Friday move it back a few hours. If you play it at 5 on the west coast it seems like a west coast conference pandering for an east coast audience.

Yep. Its already 11 or 12 here on the central/east coast on a Friday night. How many people are at home watching this game here? Me hahaha. The only real good time slot thats wide open is 10 a.m. for you guys. SEC Championship is at 1 there and the Big 10/ACC is at 5 there I believe. If I were the Pac 12 I'd go for 11 a.m. there. Make all the other conferences want to move theirs back an hour or just do away with it all and crown the winner in the regular season like the Big 12 does. I don't have the answer lol.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:03 am
  • Last night was an example of why the Championship game isn't at a neutral site. The conference knows they will have an issue selling out a game at a neutral site depending on the teams involved much like other conferences not named SEC have had. By having at the home stadium of one of the participants it increases the ticket sales.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:55 pm
  • Friday night game is just a bad idea. Last year at Autzen, tickets where going for below face value. Of course UCLA being 6-6 might have had something to do with that.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:50 pm
  • Here are some quotes from an ESPN article about Larry Scott discussing the Conference Championship.

ESPN/Larry Scott wrote:Scott said it's unlikely the league would move the championship game to a neutral site for at least the next few years. The conference believes a "host site" creates more of a typical football atmosphere and, more importantly, increases ticket sales.

The league will talk with ESPN about whether the network wants to move the title game from a Friday night to a Saturday next year. Fox has broadcast the first two years on a Friday night. ESPN takes over next year and will alternate broadcasting the game with Fox in the coming years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... and-future
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:22 pm
  • Well as a first year situation of having the championship I doubt you could have two less sexy teams in it, maybe Cal and WSU or OSU.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information