Trufant doubtful

hawker84

Reaction score
iigakusei":1adumhiw said:
Rice? Oh dear god...

he'll play.. if not, it's baldwin time again baby..

side note: is Edwards just an all out bust this year, or is he still hurt?

roiyair

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":s9u2xdwi said:
roiyair":s9u2xdwi said:
People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem

The stats say otherwise, he's one of the worst statistical nickel corners in the entire league..........as was evident in Miami when Bess who had only been averaging like four catches for 50-60 yards a game torched Trufant inside for 140 yards.

Listen, we all love our Tru, he's been one of the greatest Hawks of all time, both on the team and in the community. But the fact is he's hurting this defense, and he's hurting it bad.

Not all of his catches were Tru's fault. He isn't anywhere near his prime in coverage but still brings experience and solid tackling ability. sure he isn't one of the top nickle corners in the league, and if Thurmond is anywhere near where he was before that horrible injury he's a better option, but if that were the case we wouldn't have waited for Tru's injury to start Thurmond.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
roiyair":1o5vugam said:
Not all of his catches were Tru's fault. He isn't anywhere near his prime in coverage but still brings experience and solid tackling ability. sure he isn't one of the top nickle corners in the league, and if Thurmond is anywhere near where he was before that horrible injury he's a better option, but if that were the case we wouldn't have waited for Tru's injury to start Thurmond.

Not true, both Sherman and Browner were better than Tru last year but it took injury to get them in.

roiyair

Reaction score
Browner started from day one. Sherman was playing at a level no one expected. I think the case with Thurmond is different. We know what he's got, the question is if he's still the same player. I think that if he would've shown on the practice field that he's 100% then he would've gotten some playing time by now.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
roiyair":4om4dqge said:
Browner started from day one. Sherman was playing at a level no one expected. I think the case with Thurmond is different. We know what he's got, the question is if he's still the same player. I think that if he would've shown on the practice field that he's 100% then he would've gotten some playing time by now.

I don't remember Browner starting from Day 1.....maybe Opening Day of the NFL season....but not Day 1. As for your WTIII analysis...we will have to agree to disagree. :snack:

Going into the season last year the talk was Tru/WTIII as being the starters. Injury derailed that dream scenario. :vodka:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kidhawk":383m9cx2 said:
Sgt. Largent":383m9cx2 said:
roiyair":383m9cx2 said:
People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem

The stats say otherwise, he's one of the worst statistical nickel corners in the entire league..........as was evident in Miami when Bess who had only been averaging like four catches for 50-60 yards a game torched Trufant inside for 140 yards.

Listen, we all love our Tru, he's been one of the greatest Hawks of all time, both on the team and in the community. But the fact is he's hurting this defense, and he's hurting it bad.

You honestly believe that he was covered by Trufant on every play? That's crazy

I know that he gave up 2 of the biggest plays on the final drive that lead to the field goal. He is not a great nickle player. Infact he wasn't even that great of out outside corner. He's been an above average player his whole career. Never elite. I'd rather go with the young athletes we have then the old vets like TRU and HILL. Both won't be back with the team this spring IMO (I hope).

roiyair

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":7lubvb4p said:
roiyair":7lubvb4p said:

I don't remember Browner starting from Day 1.....maybe Opening Day of the NFL season....but not Day 1. As for your WTIII analysis...we will have to agree to disagree. :snack:

Going into the season last year the talk was Tru/WTIII as being the starters. Injury derailed that dream scenario. :vodka:

Day one meaning the beginning of the regular season if I wasn't clear. Obviously he couldn't have gotten the starting job without earning it somehow, but I'm sure that by the start of the regular season he was a lock to start.

JKent82

Reaction score
Ugghhh. Not good. I want to see Thurmond play, but I don't want to see him getting anywhere near starting nickel snaps. He needs to be eased in a bit. This could be uglier than Trufant.

Perhaps not though, we'll see. Hopefully his athleticism will shine through, and maybe Maxwell will get some snaps too.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":6fdt48fc said:
roiyair":6fdt48fc said:

Isn't that what "day one" means? Last year began with Tru and Browner. Tru went down and Thurmond played extremely well before he broke his leg. Sherman was tasked to start after that and hasn't looked back.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Thurmond will be fine. Just practicing with the current group has to be good for him and it wasn't like he was a slouch when playing off a previous injury. Getting some time for the others would be good too. Maybe he shouldn't see all the snaps, but he should be in for a good portion of the nickel

Hawks46

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully we can generate some pass rush, but it's time to get some of our younger guys some game experience, even if it's limited.

Thurmond should be fine, I think I remember him playing some nickle before getting moved to the outside last year, so it's not totally foreign to him.

I'm intrigued by Lane and Maxwell. I keep hearing about them, and about how physical Maxwell has been, so now it's time to see it.

King Dog

Reaction score
I gotta tell you. I wasn't exactly blown away by Thurmond's abilities when he was actually on the field playing last year.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I'm also not sure if it's a good or bad thing that Thurmond is going to get the nod over someone else on our roster after not taking a snap all season.

I'm more interested in seeing what Maxwell or Lane can do, but the coaches obviously know best (or at least better than I do).

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Aros":18gjtte4 said:
I agree we will still need Trufant to finish the year especially with the suspensions looming. But after this year, Trufant needs to retire with his head held high.

There's a piece of me that really agrees with that ... and another that says YEEESH!

I talked about this in my Game Preview piece. Here is that particular segment ...

This Seahawks secondary needs all the help it can obviously get, after giving up 253 yards receiving to a Dolphins team that went in to that game the 25th ranked passing attack in the league. But Seattle hasn’t been getting burned lately because of Sherman and Browner … but because teams have been attacking the Seahawks nickel backs with other receivers from the slot. Hugh Millen on KJR’s Roundtable this week shared that Seattle’s starting cornerbacks (Browner and Sherman) only get burned 43.6% of the time that opposing QB’s pass their way – that’s #1 in the NFL (average is 56%). Rather, it’s Seattle’s nickel backs where the problems actually lie.

That would be Marcus Trufant, who has again and again gotten burned by slot receivers, as have Seattle’s linebackers. While Sherman and Browner’s burn rate is fantastic … Trufant has been burned 72.4% of the time according to Stats Inc. (2nd worst among all 3rd cornerbacks) and he has yet to record a defensed pass. Milled noted that Ryan Tannehill was 8 for 8 in completing passes to slot receivers this past Sunday. To me, that says Trufant just simply just doesn’t have the speed and quickness at this stage of his career to keep up with slot receivers. Walter Thurmond could prove to be a valuable late season addition that might prove to be a huge boost in this game. Trufant was listed as doubtful for this game on Friday with a hamstring injury, so Thurmond will likely get the nod. This could prove to be a real case of addition by subtraction.
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57513

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
It's good that Thurmond is getting some play time this week, yes it's as nickel and he'll be playing outside when BB and S sit, should shake some cobwebs off though.

hawksman53

Reaction score
well at least we will have Thurmond until about the 5th play of the game and he will end up on the IR again. Then next year we will get more threads on here about how good Thurmond is and how much of an inprovement he is over trufant