Trufant doubtful

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Trufant doubtful
Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:16 pm
  • Curtis Crabtree reporting that Truant suffered a hamstring injury in practice and Thurmond will be taking his spot this week. Can't say I'm disappointed with this news.
    rabbit jacker
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Trufant doubtful
Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 pm
  • Time for Thurmond to step in and step up. Love ya Tru, but it's time to hang it up my friend.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 pm
  • Well that is convenient.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 pm
  • rabbit jacker wrote:Curtis Crabtree reporting that Truant suffered a hamstring injury in practice and Thurmond will be taking his spot this week. Can't say I'm disappointed with this news.

*quietly puts away Marcus Trufant voodoo doll with pin in hamstring*
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    rabbit jacker wrote:Curtis Crabtree reporting that Truant suffered a hamstring injury in practice and Thurmond will be taking his spot this week. Can't say I'm disappointed with this news.

*quietly puts away Marcus Trufant voodoo doll with pin in hamstring*

I know this is just a joke, but man I hope it's not too severe. We'll need him (no matter what people in here say) when Sherman and Browner get suspended (I know, I know, IF they are suspended, I just think the odds are against them)
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:Well that is convenient.

My thoughts exactly.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm
  • I agree we will still need Trufant to finish the year especially with the suspensions looming. But after this year, Trufant needs to retire with his head held high.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:38 pm
  • WT3 to the field.Time to reclaim your position.
    canzag
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:38 pm
  • People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem.
    If we just find our missing run D again things will get way better. It's like the front 7 (8 with Kam) that has played since the Niners game are not the same guys that played in the beginning of the season.

Hope he heals up soon.
    roiyair
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 pm
  • Looks like Sidney Rice was also added to the report today with a calf issue and was limited today and Questionable for Sunday. (Full report from .com below). This report is worse than I expected. There is a high likelihood of 3 starters not playing on Sunday.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/injuries.html

Bryant, Red...DE....Foot....DNP....Questionable
    Hill, Leroy....OLB...Ankle....DNP....Questionable
    Lynch, Marshawn....RB....Back....FP....Probable
    Rice, Sidney....WR....Calf....LP....Questionable
    Scruggs, Greg....DE....Oblique....FP....Probable
    Trufant, Marcus....CB....Hamstring....DNP...Doubtful
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 pm
  • i hear what you're saying about we still need him, but why.. he can't cover anybody, so you can theoretically throw anyone out there and do just as good/bad... we would have the advantage experience wise possibly, but not athetically... which is more important at this point...? i say athletisicm.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 pm
  • Might as well rest him for when we lose Sherman and Browner. As poorly as he has played recently, we will need him during the suspensions. Hopefully he will be up for it
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Rice? Oh dear god...
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

• roiyair wrote:People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem.
    If we just find our missing run D again things will get way better. It's like the front 7 (8 with Kam) that has played since the Niners game are not the same guys that played in the beginning of the season.

Hope he heals up soon.

incorrect.. he is not an effective or solid #3, and he is absolutely one of the weak spots on our d.. along with hill..
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:42 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:
    roiyair wrote:People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem.

Hope he heals up soon.

incorrect.. he is not an effective or solid #3, and he is absolutely one of the weak spots on our d.. along with hill..

:13: time for WT to take his spot and bump Trufant off the team.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 pm
  • roiyair wrote:People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem

The stats say otherwise, he's one of the worst statistical nickel corners in the entire league..........as was evident in Miami when Bess who had only been averaging like four catches for 50-60 yards a game torched Trufant inside for 140 yards.

Listen, we all love our Tru, he's been one of the greatest Hawks of all time, both on the team and in the community. But the fact is he's hurting this defense, and he's hurting it bad.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:09 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    roiyair wrote:People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem

The stats say otherwise, he's one of the worst statistical nickel corners in the entire league..........as was evident in Miami when Bess who had only been averaging like four catches for 50-60 yards a game torched Trufant inside for 140 yards.

Listen, we all love our Tru, he's been one of the greatest Hawks of all time, both on the team and in the community. But the fact is he's hurting this defense, and he's hurting it bad.

You honestly believe that he was covered by Trufant on every play? That's crazy
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:14 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:Rice? Oh dear god...

Just started watching the video of pete's presser today (missed the live version) and he said that Rice's Calf was tightening up during practice so about 3/4 of the way through they pulled him out. They will see tomorrow how he's doing. He sounded like he thought he'd be able to play, but it sounds to me like even if he does go, he could spend a lot of time on the sidelines if his calf is an issue. I just hope he can be a full go on Sunday. Him and Wilson have been on the same page now and we really need that combination to continue to grow together.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    roiyair wrote:People here are way too hard on him. He's a solid #3 corner and definitely not the source of our defensive woes like some guys are making it seem

Tru's been done for awhile now. Time for people to let him go and remember him for who he was.....you can't play this game forever.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:28 pm
  • What did WTIII do when he played Fitz as a rookie? Was it 1 catch for the game?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:Rice? Oh dear god...

he'll play.. if not, it's baldwin time again baby..

side note: is Edwards just an all out bust this year, or is he still hurt?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:44 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Not all of his catches were Tru's fault. He isn't anywhere near his prime in coverage but still brings experience and solid tackling ability. sure he isn't one of the top nickle corners in the league, and if Thurmond is anywhere near where he was before that horrible injury he's a better option, but if that were the case we wouldn't have waited for Tru's injury to start Thurmond.
    roiyair
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:49 pm
  • roiyair wrote:Not all of his catches were Tru's fault. He isn't anywhere near his prime in coverage but still brings experience and solid tackling ability. sure he isn't one of the top nickle corners in the league, and if Thurmond is anywhere near where he was before that horrible injury he's a better option, but if that were the case we wouldn't have waited for Tru's injury to start Thurmond.

Not true, both Sherman and Browner were better than Tru last year but it took injury to get them in.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm
  • Browner started from day one. Sherman was playing at a level no one expected. I think the case with Thurmond is different. We know what he's got, the question is if he's still the same player. I think that if he would've shown on the practice field that he's 100% then he would've gotten some playing time by now.
    roiyair
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm
  • roiyair wrote:Browner started from day one. Sherman was playing at a level no one expected. I think the case with Thurmond is different. We know what he's got, the question is if he's still the same player. I think that if he would've shown on the practice field that he's 100% then he would've gotten some playing time by now.

I don't remember Browner starting from Day 1.....maybe Opening Day of the NFL season....but not Day 1. As for your WTIII analysis...we will have to agree to disagree. :snack:

Going into the season last year the talk was Tru/WTIII as being the starters. Injury derailed that dream scenario. :vodka:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:12 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

You honestly believe that he was covered by Trufant on every play? That's crazy

I know that he gave up 2 of the biggest plays on the final drive that lead to the field goal. He is not a great nickle player. Infact he wasn't even that great of out outside corner. He's been an above average player his whole career. Never elite. I'd rather go with the young athletes we have then the old vets like TRU and HILL. Both won't be back with the team this spring IMO (I hope).
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:20 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    roiyair wrote:Browner started from day one. Sherman was playing at a level no one expected. I think the case with Thurmond is different. We know what he's got, the question is if he's still the same player. I think that if he would've shown on the practice field that he's 100% then he would've gotten some playing time by now.

I don't remember Browner starting from Day 1.....maybe Opening Day of the NFL season....but not Day 1. As for your WTIII analysis...we will have to agree to disagree. :snack:

Going into the season last year the talk was Tru/WTIII as being the starters. Injury derailed that dream scenario. :vodka:

Day one meaning the beginning of the regular season if I wasn't clear. Obviously he couldn't have gotten the starting job without earning it somehow, but I'm sure that by the start of the regular season he was a lock to start.
    roiyair
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 pm
  • Time to step it up Walter.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm
  • Ugghhh. Not good. I want to see Thurmond play, but I don't want to see him getting anywhere near starting nickel snaps. He needs to be eased in a bit. This could be uglier than Trufant.

Perhaps not though, we'll see. Hopefully his athleticism will shine through, and maybe Maxwell will get some snaps too.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:50 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    roiyair wrote:Browner started from day one. Sherman was playing at a level no one expected. I think the case with Thurmond is different. We know what he's got, the question is if he's still the same player. I think that if he would've shown on the practice field that he's 100% then he would've gotten some playing time by now.

Isn't that what "day one" means? Last year began with Tru and Browner. Tru went down and Thurmond played extremely well before he broke his leg. Sherman was tasked to start after that and hasn't looked back.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:48 pm
  • Thurmond will be fine. Just practicing with the current group has to be good for him and it wasn't like he was a slouch when playing off a previous injury. Getting some time for the others would be good too. Maybe he shouldn't see all the snaps, but he should be in for a good portion of the nickel
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 pm
  • I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully we can generate some pass rush, but it's time to get some of our younger guys some game experience, even if it's limited.

Thurmond should be fine, I think I remember him playing some nickle before getting moved to the outside last year, so it's not totally foreign to him.

I'm intrigued by Lane and Maxwell. I keep hearing about them, and about how physical Maxwell has been, so now it's time to see it.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:Well that is convenient.

My thoughts exactly.

Yep
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 am
  • I gotta tell you. I wasn't exactly blown away by Thurmond's abilities when he was actually on the field playing last year.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I'm also not sure if it's a good or bad thing that Thurmond is going to get the nod over someone else on our roster after not taking a snap all season.

I'm more interested in seeing what Maxwell or Lane can do, but the coaches obviously know best (or at least better than I do).
    King Dog
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:35 am
  • Aros wrote:I agree we will still need Trufant to finish the year especially with the suspensions looming. But after this year, Trufant needs to retire with his head held high.

There's a piece of me that really agrees with that ... and another that says YEEESH!

I talked about this in my Game Preview piece. Here is that particular segment ...

This Seahawks secondary needs all the help it can obviously get, after giving up 253 yards receiving to a Dolphins team that went in to that game the 25th ranked passing attack in the league. But Seattle hasn’t been getting burned lately because of Sherman and Browner … but because teams have been attacking the Seahawks nickel backs with other receivers from the slot. Hugh Millen on KJR’s Roundtable this week shared that Seattle’s starting cornerbacks (Browner and Sherman) only get burned 43.6% of the time that opposing QB’s pass their way – that’s #1 in the NFL (average is 56%). Rather, it’s Seattle’s nickel backs where the problems actually lie.

That would be Marcus Trufant, who has again and again gotten burned by slot receivers, as have Seattle’s linebackers. While Sherman and Browner’s burn rate is fantastic … Trufant has been burned 72.4% of the time according to Stats Inc. (2nd worst among all 3rd cornerbacks) and he has yet to record a defensed pass. Milled noted that Ryan Tannehill was 8 for 8 in completing passes to slot receivers this past Sunday. To me, that says Trufant just simply just doesn’t have the speed and quickness at this stage of his career to keep up with slot receivers. Walter Thurmond could prove to be a valuable late season addition that might prove to be a huge boost in this game. Trufant was listed as doubtful for this game on Friday with a hamstring injury, so Thurmond will likely get the nod. This could prove to be a real case of addition by subtraction.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57513
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:02 am
  • It's good that Thurmond is getting some play time this week, yes it's as nickel and he'll be playing outside when BB and S sit, should shake some cobwebs off though.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:36 am
  • well at least we will have Thurmond until about the 5th play of the game and he will end up on the IR again. Then next year we will get more threads on here about how good Thurmond is and how much of an inprovement he is over trufant
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information