Russell Wilson: 2nd in QBR since Week 5 behind only Brady

mikeak

Reaction score
jlwaters1":15r3d7sp said:
Poeple let's get a grip here. PC even said in his presser on WED that in retrospect he should have let him throw it more. .

Missed the presser but glad PC admitted what everyone already knew. I guess I just have a problem when people getting paid millions aren't as good as analyzing opponents as people getting paid zero....

lots of people had that game nailed on this board based on film. It shouldn't have been a retrospective conclusion

The issue with the final drive - yes one play away by Wilson and the offense but also several plays where we had to convert a 3rd down. We should have enough faith in our starting qb to put him in a position to succeed through that drive. Not be one missed play from a possible loss. WR's have been known to drop a pass or two...

The Radish

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1axn3m9f said:
The Radish":1axn3m9f said:
To bad all this wondrous stat stuff hasn't translated into more wins.

I'm with the side that thinks the only stats that count are wins/losses. All the rest are merely things for fans to do with the wasted time between games.

:roll:

Wondered how long it would be until someone posted a version of this sentiment.

Wins are a team result. They require everyone to step up. And one way to see who is stepping up and playing well is - gasp - to look at the statistics they generate.

And I know this is blasphemous to some around here, but it's possible to want the team to win more WHILE AT THE SAME TIME being excited about how well our rookie QB is playing.

I admitted to Vols via PM that I overstepped here. I'm not sure about the rest of the moderating crew but can speak for me getting tired of all the stat talk, especially from the group that insists we are going to win some game cause we are better statistically.

I apologize for my comments, I've just always been a win/loss type of guy and that's my opinion.

To those of you that like the stat side I see your point of view. Can we just agree to disagree?

mikeak

Reaction score
Radish -- don't you see a difference between team stats saying we are better than our win / loss record and individual stats?

Our team stats matters to me just for the sake of showing where are weakness is at the end of the day it all comes down to number of wins

individual stats matters to judge the performance of one guy. One guy doesn't win the game and we could have a qb with perfect rating and still not win a game. We could have the most accurate field goal kicker and not win a game. We could have a guy break the sack record and still not win a game.

Yet I would come here and be - hey did you know that our kicker just made his 44th field goal in a row that hasn't ever happened before etc.....

jlwaters1

Reaction score
mikeak":3q0g4jgu said:
jlwaters1":3q0g4jgu said:
Poeple let's get a grip here. PC even said in his presser on WED that in retrospect he should have let him throw it more. .

Missed the presser but glad PC admitted what everyone already knew. I guess I just have a problem when people getting paid millions aren't as good as analyzing opponents as people getting paid zero....

lots of people had that game nailed on this board based on film. It shouldn't have been a retrospective conclusion

The issue with the final drive - yes one play away by Wilson and the offense but also several plays where we had to convert a 3rd down. We should have enough faith in our starting qb to put him in a position to succeed through that drive. Not be one missed play from a possible loss. WR's have been known to drop a pass or two...

Actually I felt releived that PC said that as well. In hindsight it seems obvious we should have thrown it more, though at the moment we had the momentum. It just sucks those next 3 plays all lost yards. The screen play was just a great job by their DL.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2wjsxmkz said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2wjsxmkz said:
So you're putting those two losses on the offense? I must've watched two different games to you. Because the Lions game, our offense did more than enough on the day and were let down by a ragged looking defense. And in the Miami game - it was far from perfect - but a much vaunted defense let the Dolphins run to the tune of over 6YPA and gave Ryan Tannehill a nice little kick start too after a rough last few weeks.

Not saying the offense was great against Miami (although it was more than good enough against Detroit). But there's only one unit responsible for those two defeats.

Unless I'm missing something, the team with the highest score wins the games, and resting on a small lead has come back to bite us in those two games, because Pete was expecting the Defense to hold onto the lead by going with the failing Prevent Defense.
When we lost to the Lions, Pete would have done well by adopting Wilsons resolve, and not make the same mistake again.
Is it possible that by going a little more with Wilson in that Miami game that we still lose?, certainly, but we'll never know for sure.
Pete stuck to his guns and it worked against him because he played right into the Dolphins Coaches game plans.
Pete didn't have near enough lead to rest on keeping with his run game.
He didn't have enough score cushioning to stay predictable.
I guess what gets me the most, is that Pete isn't making use of all the advantages that he has at his disposal.

So by your theory, if you lose 55-54 the offense is to blame? After all 'the team with the highest score wins the game'.

Offense put us in a position to win vs Detroit. Special teams and Wilson put us in position to win vs Miami. On both occasions, the defense had very, very bad games. There's your answer to why we lost both.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Wins and Losses are stats. They're just not very predictive of future success - they tell you what you did, but they don't give much insight on how you're going to do (not with 16 games, at least) in comparison to everyone else. That's where more advanced stats come in, especially those that look at down/situation and quality of opponent.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3v5yjj0p said:
So by your theory, if you lose 55-54 the offense is to blame? After all 'the team with the highest score wins the game'.

Offense put us in a position to win vs Detroit. Special teams and Wilson put us in position to win vs Miami. On both occasions, the defense had very, very bad games. There's your answer to why we lost both.

Offense was driving for the GW FG last week, where the defense as bad as they played would have been let off the hook.. and instead of being aggressive, Bevell basically went vanilla and we had to punt.. ultimately preceding the Tannehill drive.

Fact or fiction?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":11rvm6tm said:
Offense was driving for the GW FG last week, where the defense as bad as they played would have been let off the hook.. and instead of being aggressive, Bevell basically went vanilla and we had to punt.. ultimately preceding the Tannehill drive.

Fact or fiction?

Fact.

But previous to that, I remember us having two drives using the same approach that led to 80-90 yard touchdown drives. So I get why he went that way, even if it ultimately led to no points. We punted Miami deep into their red zone and they basically had their way with our defense as they had most of the day and won the game. We couldn't stop them. And that was an offense we should've been able to stop.

Uffda

Reaction score
They just have to learn to readjust the offense if the running game isn't cutting it.

Let Wilson open up the offense if needed and stop closing down the offense ie. getting too conservative if ahead in the 4th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: 1st since week 8, btw.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
English, You are fighting a war against ignorance and stupidity. Good on you, brother. And best of luck.