Tyrann Mathieu

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seems we are lacking a great Nickel Corner. Tyrann Mathieu got busted for weed again recently.... Im pretty sure he will go to the draft next year. With that said.... where will he project to go? He probably can be had for a great price.

Thoughts? I know he is an idiot but his issue is with marijuana .... that is a minor issue imo.

Is he someone we would target? Give him a chance to shape up?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Love him as a football player, but I think he is undraftable at this point. I'd be pretty shocked to see any NFL team take a chance on him even as an undrafted free agent. He might have to go the Canadian football route, or the Arena league, to prove that he can get himself clean. Personally, even though I think he's a great football player, i think his future is as a pothead, not as an NFL player.

Besides, we already have enough DB's getting suspended.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3702kmgz said:
Seems we are lacking a great Nickel Corner. Tyrann Mathieu got busted for weed again recently.... Im pretty sure he will go to the draft next year. With that said.... where will he project to go? He probably can be had for a great price.

Thoughts? I know he is an idiot but his issue is with marijuana .... that is a minor issue imo.

Is he someone we would target? Give him a chance to shape up?

Its actually like his 3rd run in with mary jane that we know of for sure. It wouldn't shock me if their were more incidents. He got busted with synthetic mary jane and suspended 2 years ago. Then kicked off the team for what most insiders believe is multiple drug (mary jane) test failures, and than was in a house where the police seized mary jane just recently. You may consider it minor but the NFL doesn't so buyer be ware.

As a player I think he really would be best as a free safety. He's more of a ball hawk and creates turn overs by stripping balls and taking gambles and reading QB's eyes. As a cover guy I question his strength, size and speed. It won't shock me if he runs a mid 4.5 40 yard dash which tells you about his straight line speed. His shuttle and first 20 might be good enough though to show he has good enough quick twitch speed. He has good hip turn which is important. He's a bit on the small side and I've seen him get pushed around a bit with physical receivers.

On the positive I think he could be a GREAT return guy and I do believe he could become a good free safety, maybe even elite.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He is planning a return to school next year, to try and re establish his stock I presume.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Wonder how he feels about ADD medicine?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
If Burfict didn't get drafted even after playing last year and being a really good player this year in the pros, there is still no way in hell Mathieu is drafted. He's PacMan Jones in the post PacMan era. At one time he'd have been a top 5 pick. Now teams know they can get him in free agency and risk absolutely nothing. He's too much of a risk. If he had gone into rehab right away, then things would have been different. He continued on for over a year of just denying it. That's a little too much of a risk. I wish nothing but the best for the kid. He's such an amazing talent on the field, and seems to have a family that truly loves him and has been trying like crazy to help him. I love how his Dad has come out and Les Miles have come out and both said it was about this kid's life...not football. Same with the QB from TCU. This is what needs to happen in these situations, and it needs to happen sooner than later.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
SharkHawk":24rzl4ra said:
If Burfict didn't get drafted even after playing last year and being a really good player this year in the pros, there is still no way in hell Mathieu is drafted. He's PacMan Jones in the post PacMan era. At one time he'd have been a top 5 pick. Now teams know they can get him in free agency and risk absolutely nothing. He's too much of a risk. If he had gone into rehab right away, then things would have been different. He continued on for over a year of just denying it. That's a little too much of a risk. I wish nothing but the best for the kid. He's such an amazing talent on the field, and seems to have a family that truly loves him and has been trying like crazy to help him. I love how his Dad has come out and Les Miles have come out and both said it was about this kid's life...not football. Same with the QB from TCU. This is what needs to happen in these situations, and it needs to happen sooner than later.
He's smoking bud, not getting in fights at strip clubs.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Like Scott said, he isn't coming to the NFL this offseason, kind of a non discussion at this point.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Throwdown":1qklnh5b said:
Like Scott said, he isn't coming to the NFL this offseason, kind of a non discussion at this point.

After his first mistake where he got kicked off the team he said he was coming back. He then had a second mistake in October I believe ..... I figured a return to LSU was out after the second mistake and he would have to go to the NFL.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
No, he's re-enrolling. He has worked hard this time around, but you have to wonder if he'll keep it up. I hope for his life's sake he does. Forget about the NFL at this point. Just get life on track. Everything else will work out.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
SharkHawk":b83ei6n3 said:

He's a choir boy compared to Janoris Jenkins.

As for him playing at LSU again, thats a legit question. Miles has refused to discuss it. The thought was that he would be back next year after going to rehab and getting his life straight but he has had 2 more issues come up since. He was arrested for being in a drug house and was in some video promoting some kind of club in Baton Rouge and it was another violation of NCAA rules.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
yea...Im pretty sure he would not do well in a state that just legalized weed

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ck1o0s7 said:
He is planning a return to school next year, to try and re establish his stock I presume.
Throwdown":2ck1o0s7 said:
SharkHawk":2ck1o0s7 said:
No, he's re-enrolling. He has worked hard this time around, but you have to wonder if he'll keep it up. I hope for his life's sake he does. Forget about the NFL at this point. Just get life on track. Everything else will work out.

:141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono:

ESPN's Joe Schad is hearing that former LSU DB Tyrann Mathieu plans to announce that he will enter the 2013 NFL Draft Thursday.
The last few months have not been kind to Mathieu, and despite appearing to be on the path back to rejoining the LSU football team, the junior had another drug related run-in with police. There may not be a player that will command more off field homework than Mathieu, specifically character and substance abuse questions, but it hurts even more that the Honey Badger has not stepped onto the football field this season. The last report stated that Mathieu is currently living with Patrick Peterson's family in Florida.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He'll be a late rounder at best.

The NFL isn't going to reward this guy for become a complete loser. He's on a different level to even Janoris Jenkins.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1lm7a6ei said:
He'll be a late rounder at best.

The NFL isn't going to reward this guy for become a complete loser. He's on a different level to even Janoris Jenkins.

Really? How so.... marijuana is marijuana.... Jenkins has 4 kids w/ 3 moms?

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SharkHawk":30z1jil1 said:
If Burfict didn't get drafted even after playing last year and being a really good player this year in the pros, there is still no way in hell Mathieu is drafted.

ESPN's Mel Kiper on former #LSU DB Tyrann Mathieu's 2013 draft stock: "3rd round, best case scenario. More than likely 4th round."

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Not surprised. After he got arrested again I didn't think he would be back at LSU. I figured he might transfer though to a smaller school like Janoris Jenkins did and use his remaining 2 years to improve his draft stock. And as far as him being on a different level than Janoris Jenkins as far as screwing up.....you have no idea what you are talking about. Jenkins had violent crimes to go with his pot smoking as well as having 4 kids.

suppaball

Reaction score
He is declairing for the draft and sounds like the kind of player Pete and John go for.