Earl Thomas fined 15k for "hit" on Tannehill

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1lec5mmx said:
NFL is really heading towards a big, big fall.

The continued "pussification" of the game, ungodly expensive game tickets/concessions/parking, over priced merchandise . . .

Goodell is the worst thing to happen to the league in a long, long time. He's a joke.

No they wont lol. Thats the sad part. They can do whatever they want and people like you and me will still watch every game

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":15kkqp7l said:
FlyingGreg":15kkqp7l said:

The continued "pussification" of the game, ungodly expensive game tickets/concessions/parking, over priced merchandise . . .

Goodell is the worst thing to happen to the league in a long, long time. He's a joke.

No they wont lol. Thats the sad part. They can do whatever they want and people like you and me will still watch every game

Soooo...are we to test the "boil a frog theory"? Eventually, we end up with "glorified flag football" ....and we still pay $70 a seat to watch?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2y4pji1s said:
therealjohncarlson":2y4pji1s said:
FlyingGreg":2y4pji1s said:

Soooo...we are are to test the "boil a frog theory"? Eventually, we end up with "glorified flag football" ....and we still pay $70 a seat to watch?

Ok I mean football is still played 99% the same way it was when Goodell came into power. Hes made relatively minor changes that havent really affected the game to any sort of meaningful degree. Let me know when he does (which he wont, everyone knows the money involved in the NFL) and Ill begin to believe we might end up with "glorified flag football."

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3v6298kc said:
Ok I mean football is still played 99% the same way it was when Goodell came into power. Hes made relatively minor changes that havent really affected the game to any sort of meaningful degree. Let me know when he does (which he wont, everyone knows the money involved in the NFL) and Ill begin to believe we might end up with "glorified flag football."

Relatively minor changes...??

Wow.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":pd1hb9vz said:
therealjohncarlson":pd1hb9vz said:

Relatively minor changes...??

Wow.

On a big picture level, yes. Extremely minor changes. The game is still played almost exactly the same. The kickoff moving in 10 yards is the biggest change I can think of him making, which barely changes the game at all except for creating fewer returns.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1jpfv83g said:
This is ludicrous. Ridiculously ludicrous. I feel like the first dominoes are falling in my breakup with the NFL. Sad really

My thoughts exactly. Not the first dominoes though.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I predict - if this continues - that my 37-year love affair with the NFL will be over within ten years.

mistaowen

Reaction score
That is beyond ridiculous. How does that hit warrant $15,000? Earl should have put condoms on his arms before hitting him, much safer that way.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":2h86db1y said:
I predict - if this continues - that my 37-year love affair with the NFL will be over within ten years.
Ditto, only for me it's a 48 year love affair.
Didn't I read somewhere on these boards that Kurt Warner thought it didn't even deserve a penalty flag? That from a former QB that was the (alleged) subject of a bounty being placed on him by the 'Aints.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
jesus NHL - get it together, I'm done watching the NFL for now - I'm actually happy, my Sundays just got free for awhile!

BWRyan

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2foh1zf8 said:
Next time Earl should just crush the quarterback. He's gonna get fined if he touches him anyways, might as well try and knock the crap out of the quarterback.

Gotta' agree. It's one thing to blow the call in game, but to fine him $15K after the fact and essentially saying "Yep, it's the right call" is crazy. So if you're getting flagged and fined whether you deliver a massive hit, or you hold up your momentum and gently tap them, you might as well knock them out of the game.

Pstark3

Reaction score
The worst part is that I want to quit watching NFL all together.. but cant

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
...and they wonder why people would rather watch from home. Why support this garbage?

gargantual

Reaction score
BWRyan":3q6rtmsi said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3q6rtmsi said:
Next time Earl should just crush the quarterback. He's gonna get fined if he touches him anyways, might as well try and knock the crap out of the quarterback.

Gotta' agree. It's one thing to blow the call in game, but to fine him $15K after the fact and essentially saying "Yep, it's the right call" is crazy. So if you're getting flagged and fined whether you deliver a massive hit, or you hold up your momentum and gently tap them, you might as well knock them out of the game.

This is a valid point, if you get fined regardless (not that I'm advocating doing that, but I can see someone following that logic)...

...so does INTENT come into this at all or is it all 100% end result here (it's seeming that way so far). I didn't watch that play closely (bathroom break or whatever) so didn't really notice, but was Earl accurate when saying it was basically gravity and he FELL into him, or was there anything anyone saw that seemed that there was some sort of intent to hit him in the head?

razgriz737

Reaction score
BWRyan":lxtfjlwx said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":lxtfjlwx said:

Seriously. The only lesson I'm getting from this is that if you're going to collide with them, make it count 'cause you're screwed either way.

mikeak

Reaction score
What happened is he jumps up (and not a straight up jump but towards the qb) and is airborne with arms up when the pass gets thrown. As he comes down he brings down both arms to cushion the blow (this is how it looks to me). So his arms / forearms make contact with the qb's helmet but it is clearly in an attempt to avoid the hit / not go helmet to helmet - a reaction just like protection yourself when falling on the ground.

So some idiot over at NFL maybe watched the one second impact and said - hands to the helmet fine him........

Hawks46

Reaction score
I get the flag. It's technically within the rules, but you are opening Pandora's Box if you try to mix intent in the players' hits. So, Thomas was trying to make a play, and yea, it sometimes happens.

Like others have said, I think it's just plain said that the NFL comes and out tries to fine Thomas for it. Ludicrous.

I also get that the NFL has to make these changes. We all hate it, but they are in the middle of a very huge class action law suit with a bunch of former players suing the league for not taking this action on their watch, now that medical science has figured out the damaging cumulative effects of concussions on the human brain.

I have a feeling that if the NFL wins this lawsuit, we might see some of this ticky tack stuff go by the wayside. The NFL is always going to over protect the QBs since it is a QB driven league, and the quality of the product is much better with all the starting QBs in playing.