Earl Thomas fined 15k for "hit" on Tannehill

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• This is ludicrous. Ridiculously ludicrous. I feel like the first dominoes are falling in my breakup with the NFL. Sad really
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• Total bullshit. Crap like this makes it difficult to watch the NFL sometimes.

The hit is in the following highlight just after the 1:00 mark. They even comment in the highlight: "What is he supposed to do? Matrix out of the way?"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... r-15k-fine

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• What's that smell? It's a curious mix of ass and shame.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• What a joke.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• This bullshit is making it exponentially more and more difficult to watch and support the NFL anymore. Not just because this happened to one of our guys, but anyone in the NFL.

Let's just call it the NFFL (National Flag Football League) and be done with it.

DISGUSTING.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• You got be be shitting me!!!

Unbelievable.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Seriously?

Hey Goodell, maybe instead of shoveling more $h1t onto the pile, you should try apologizing for the fact that it shouldn't even have been a personal foul.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• LOL. This is so bad.

First they blow the call, now they fine him for it?

Unbelievable. I guess from now on Earl should just figure out how to stop in mid air or save all the trouble and spear the QB in the chest instead.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Aros wrote:This bullshit is making it exponentially more and more difficult to watch and support the NFL anymore. Not just because this happened to one of our guys, but anyone in the NFL.

Let's just call it the NFFL (National Flag Football League) and be done with it.

DISGUSTING.

Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• NFL is really heading towards a big, big fall.

The continued "pussification" of the game, ungodly expensive game tickets/concessions/parking, over priced merchandise . . .

Goodell is the worst thing to happen to the league in a long, long time. He's a joke.
    Last edited by FlyingGreg on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• We are witnessing the demise of the NFL before our eyes. There are several posters on this message board who might well write several paragraphs on this subject. Once we start down that "path"...there is no stopping.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I hope this gets some serious airtime on TV. It needs to be looked at. It'll get appealed obviously but it never should have made it to a fine in the first place.

I understand the flag by a penalty happy quarterback protecting ref in a bang bang play. I hate it, but I get it. The fact the league can sit down and look at it and say this deserves a fine is a travesty.

It sends the wrong message to defenders and it teaches nothing to Earl. Just a complete joke.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• Everyone should have been up in arms about *SB XL, instead we got dirtbag Stealers fans trying to rub the *win in our face. Now Goodell should be apologizing for the ridiculous penalty, but instead hits ET with a fine.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• Next time Earl should just crush the quarterback. He's gonna get fined if he touches him anyways, might as well try and knock the crap out of the quarterback.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• Flag yes - sorry I understand why he can't avoid the hit once he is airborne but a flag is not the wrong call

Fine - are you seriously stupid Godell? Come on what are you thinking? This needs to be appealed
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Roger Goodell and his Gestapo needs to be shut the ef down.Seriously.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

• While normally I'd never be one to say this, but we need to spread the word a bit to media folks on twitter to make sure it gets media attention. It probably won't, but the NFL needs to be embarrassed by this.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• The bigger worry is the potential for a Ed Reed style suspension. This adds a illegal hit to his tally. A few more could be a game. "continuing to ignore warnings to adjust playing style" or whatever.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• FlyingGreg wrote:NFL is really heading towards a big, big fall.

The continued "pussification" of the game, ungodly expensive game tickets/concessions/parking, over priced merchandise . . .

Goodell is the worst thing to happen to the league in a long, long time. He's a joke.

I actually side with Goodell on a lot of the measures to better protect players. It is inherently a violent sport, and I do agree that players should be better protected than they were in the 70's, 80's and 90's.. but this fine is ridiculous.

Agree with you on the pricing though. It's beyond ridiculous. You forgot to mention his Thursday Night Football package which is going to feature every team in the league in prime-time and on a short week to boot! Nothing says quality programming like the Jaguars and Titans at 8:30 ET on a short week. WOO!

Doubt the NFL hits that "big big fall" as in America it is the king sport and the NBA/NHL/MLB aren't likely to change that any time soon as they each have a lot of problems in their own right.. but yeah..
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• this one is on merton hanks, not goodell.
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie

• FlyingGreg wrote:NFL is really heading towards a big, big fall.

No they wont lol. Thats the sad part. They can do whatever they want and people like you and me will still watch every game
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:NFL is really heading towards a big, big fall.

No they wont lol. Thats the sad part. They can do whatever they want and people like you and me will still watch every game

Soooo...are we to test the "boil a frog theory"? Eventually, we end up with "glorified flag football" ....and we still pay $70 a seat to watch?
    Last edited by Bigpumpkin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Bigpumpkin wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:NFL is really heading towards a big, big fall.

Soooo...we are are to test the "boil a frog theory"? Eventually, we end up with "glorified flag football" ....and we still pay $70 a seat to watch?

Ok I mean football is still played 99% the same way it was when Goodell came into power. Hes made relatively minor changes that havent really affected the game to any sort of meaningful degree. Let me know when he does (which he wont, everyone knows the money involved in the NFL) and Ill begin to believe we might end up with "glorified flag football."
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:Ok I mean football is still played 99% the same way it was when Goodell came into power. Hes made relatively minor changes that havent really affected the game to any sort of meaningful degree. Let me know when he does (which he wont, everyone knows the money involved in the NFL) and Ill begin to believe we might end up with "glorified flag football."

Relatively minor changes...??

Wow.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:Ok I mean football is still played 99% the same way it was when Goodell came into power. Hes made relatively minor changes that havent really affected the game to any sort of meaningful degree. Let me know when he does (which he wont, everyone knows the money involved in the NFL) and Ill begin to believe we might end up with "glorified flag football."

Relatively minor changes...??

Wow.

On a big picture level, yes. Extremely minor changes. The game is still played almost exactly the same. The kickoff moving in 10 yards is the biggest change I can think of him making, which barely changes the game at all except for creating fewer returns.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• falcongoggles wrote:This is ludicrous. Ridiculously ludicrous. I feel like the first dominoes are falling in my breakup with the NFL. Sad really

My thoughts exactly. Not the first dominoes though.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Starter

• I predict - if this continues - that my 37-year love affair with the NFL will be over within ten years.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• That is beyond ridiculous. How does that hit warrant $15,000? Earl should have put condoms on his arms before hitting him, much safer that way.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:I predict - if this continues - that my 37-year love affair with the NFL will be over within ten years.

Ditto, only for me it's a 48 year love affair.
    Didn't I read somewhere on these boards that Kurt Warner thought it didn't even deserve a penalty flag? That from a former QB that was the (alleged) subject of a bounty being placed on him by the 'Aints.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• jesus NHL - get it together, I'm done watching the NFL for now - I'm actually happy, my Sundays just got free for awhile!
    OneLofaTatupu
    * NET Shrink *

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Next time Earl should just crush the quarterback. He's gonna get fined if he touches him anyways, might as well try and knock the crap out of the quarterback.

Gotta' agree. It's one thing to blow the call in game, but to fine him $15K after the fact and essentially saying "Yep, it's the right call" is crazy. So if you're getting flagged and fined whether you deliver a massive hit, or you hold up your momentum and gently tap them, you might as well knock them out of the game.
    BWRyan
    NET Veteran

• Absolutely pathetic. The NFL office should be ashamed for handing out this fine.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• The worst part is that I want to quit watching NFL all together.. but cant
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• ...and they wonder why people would rather watch from home. Why support this garbage?

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• BWRyan wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Next time Earl should just crush the quarterback. He's gonna get fined if he touches him anyways, might as well try and knock the crap out of the quarterback.

Gotta' agree. It's one thing to blow the call in game, but to fine him $15K after the fact and essentially saying "Yep, it's the right call" is crazy. So if you're getting flagged and fined whether you deliver a massive hit, or you hold up your momentum and gently tap them, you might as well knock them out of the game.

This is a valid point, if you get fined regardless (not that I'm advocating doing that, but I can see someone following that logic)...

...so does INTENT come into this at all or is it all 100% end result here (it's seeming that way so far). I didn't watch that play closely (bathroom break or whatever) so didn't really notice, but was Earl accurate when saying it was basically gravity and he FELL into him, or was there anything anyone saw that seemed that there was some sort of intent to hit him in the head?
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• BWRyan wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Next time Earl should just crush the quarterback. He's gonna get fined if he touches him anyways, might as well try and knock the crap out of the quarterback.

Seriously. The only lesson I'm getting from this is that if you're going to collide with them, make it count 'cause you're screwed either way.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• What happened is he jumps up (and not a straight up jump but towards the qb) and is airborne with arms up when the pass gets thrown. As he comes down he brings down both arms to cushion the blow (this is how it looks to me). So his arms / forearms make contact with the qb's helmet but it is clearly in an attempt to avoid the hit / not go helmet to helmet - a reaction just like protection yourself when falling on the ground.

So some idiot over at NFL maybe watched the one second impact and said - hands to the helmet fine him........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I get the flag. It's technically within the rules, but you are opening Pandora's Box if you try to mix intent in the players' hits. So, Thomas was trying to make a play, and yea, it sometimes happens.

Like others have said, I think it's just plain said that the NFL comes and out tries to fine Thomas for it. Ludicrous.

I also get that the NFL has to make these changes. We all hate it, but they are in the middle of a very huge class action law suit with a bunch of former players suing the league for not taking this action on their watch, now that medical science has figured out the damaging cumulative effects of concussions on the human brain.

I have a feeling that if the NFL wins this lawsuit, we might see some of this ticky tack stuff go by the wayside. The NFL is always going to over protect the QBs since it is a QB driven league, and the quality of the product is much better with all the starting QBs in playing.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• GeorgeKush wrote:this one is on merton hanks, not goodell.

Hanks initiates the fine, but I'm sure Goodell signs off on it, so yeah, Goodell deserves to get dumped on. He's going to ruin this beautiful game.
    Mandu
    NET Starter

• The fine is total BS. Basically re-affirms refs can throw a flag for anything.

Bigpumpkin wrote:We are witnessing the demise of the NFL before our eyes. There are several posters on this message board who might well write several paragraphs on this subject. Once we start down that "path"...there is no stopping.

Sadly, I think you are right. Makes it pointless to even build a defense anymore. While my love for the seahawks has increased, I am becoming less of a fan of the NFL overall.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• Why not just make a 2 yard rule around QB's. Just if you're within 2 yards of the QB he's down, that way he never gets hit, touched or breathed on.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• falcongoggles wrote:This is ludicrous. Ridiculously ludicrous. I feel like the first dominoes are falling in my breakup with the NFL. Sad really

Amen. This is why I watch way more college ball these days. The NFL has too many damn rules. No hits to the head, no hits below the knees, roughing the QB, pass interference a spotted foul, etc. In college they let them play more and the defense gets away with more. Its just more balanced. The pro's is more geared to supplement the offenses and give the offenses an advantage. When is the last time you saw an offensive player called for helmet to helmet, face mask, or the rarely called pass interference? You can't tell me the offensive players don't committ those fouls too.

/Rant Over
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

• If Goodell had it his way you'd be forced to tenderly caress the QB to the ground like you were lowering a beautiful woman into a bed of freshly picked rise petals.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• Anyone wonder why all of a sudden the fines, calls on us, the sudden testing and findings of drugs and attention has been on the extreme negitive since that 49er game?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• If I ever meet Ole Roger, I'm gonna shake his hand!!! Then I'm gonna have him arrested for assault because he squeezed to hard!!!
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• The sad thing is Earl could have spent twice the money and just kicked Tannehill in the junk to get him to drop the ball. That is the joke that has become the penalty and fine system in the NFL.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• JKent82 wrote:Yay NFL!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000102190/article/earl-thomas-fined-15k-criticizes-nfl-on-twitter?campaign=Twitter_atl

Pretty sad they still went and fined him for it. There's something wrong with the process. Anybody have a .gif of the "hit"? It was like the least malicious thing ever.

ok good people this is where you explain to me how the NFL is NOT trying to push the niners into the superbowl and hold back any team that poses a threat, drug tests? fines? sure I'm just paranoid.. lol

I've seen way worse hits from niners that didn't even draw a flag..

gonna say it again, "the league is a JOKE in terms of officiating and rules"

there's a huge problem with the officiating and penalties especially when it comes to CONSISTENCY!!!

but just be quiet about it people, sit down like good little sheep and ignore the corruption and bias, after all its good for you.
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• This is utter bullshit.
    What is stupid is that Earl could have t-boned him in the ribcage and just destroyed him and he would get no fine at all.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Next

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information