Rookie QBs: Wilson & Tannehill

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":ytdcav4l said:
no, we won't get a chance with Flynn, got a helluva backup scenario though if he stays.
Now very happy seeing RW progress. cant say the first part of the season was the same with our D and STs scoring more per game than our O, but I admit he's making me a believer lately. now we got a bit of the reverse scenario, D problems building.

I think you might still be a bit of a closet 'Flynnatic' :mrgreen: Yes, I over simplify and kid just a bit :D

AVL

Reaction score
What a difference a week makes. While surfing through the Miami forums last week it was endless threads trying to throw Tann under the bus, while it was all unicorns and rainbows around here.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FinNasty":272en5py said:
hawkfan1975":272en5py said:
FinNasty":272en5py said:
Gotcha on Flynn...

I know you haven't really got a shot to see Flynn yet, but I hope for your sake that you never get a chance. (meaning Wilson balls out and never looks back)

And I think there's a decent chance of that happening...

trying to decipher this reply, wilson bails? decent chance of what happenig?

no, we won't get a chance with Flynn, got a helluva backup scenario though if he stays.
Now very happy seeing RW progress. cant say the first part of the season was the same with our D and STs scoring more per game than our O, but I admit he's making me a believer lately. now we got a bit of the reverse scenario, D problems building.

Not if he "bails", lol. If he "BALLS out". Maybe it's a Florida expression, lol. It means if Wilson tears it up or does really well.

I think there's a decent chance that Wilson turns out to be awesome and never lets go of the reins...
You are new here, but hawkfan1975 was one of the biggest Flynn acolytes on this board. Half this board thought his six touchdown game for the Pack last year was when he won the job in Seattle, and the dude you are talking too was leading the "too short" charge against him.

Wilson is balling out right now, which is why the Flynn crowd is so quiet. Every fanbase has the torch and pitchfork crowd, but give it a bad game or two, they will be back.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Scottemojo":k1gohg14 said:
You are new here, but hawkfan1975 was one of the biggest Flynn acolytes on this board. Half this board thought his six touchdown game for the Pack last year was when he won the job in Seattle, and the dude you are talking too was leading the "too short" charge against him.

Wilson is balling out right now, which is why the Flynn crowd is so quiet. Every fanbase has the torch and pitchfork crowd, but give it a bad game or two, they will be back.

did russell grow a foot since preseason? no he's exactly as i described, a short stature rook qb. no big, in terms of qb's he's on the short side. problem?

yes, during preseason i wasnt hyped and sold on him, nor with him being named starter over Flynn. yes, i do feel, at the seasons start, flynn dinks and dunks a hawk win over phx and stl. still think so.
why? because RW didnt wow me at all in ps nor seasons start. The D did however.
didnt care for his reads, scrambles, any of it come season start.

i will still say the same, a rook needs a full year before we start touting him like some do here. that won't change, no matter how much you whine about it.

it wasnt until seeing his coming around these last few games that ive seen RW making great strides (nothing to do with wins/losses btw). no it wasnt the hail mary for the win either.

Looking forward to seeing his progression now. thems the facts ace. problem?

if you think i care who here believed in RW sooner, well get used to it, I don't.
if you want some sort of medal for being the RW predictor then go appeal for it...yay for you?

I do still think flynn start beats phx and stl (and know where that puts our record),
but...it's also true i feel next year's ours with RW. i do think we'll be fine with RW (and/or flynn actually) .

next year folks.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":1ydqmjrq said:
Scottemojo":1ydqmjrq said:

did russell grow a foot since preseason? no he's exactly as i described, a short stature rook qb. no big, in terms of qb's he's on the short side. problem?

yes, during preseason i wasnt hyped and sold on him, nor with him being named starter over Flynn. yes, i do feel, at the seasons start, flynn dinks and dunks a hawk win over phx and stl. still think so.

i will still say the same, a rook needs a full year before we start touting him like some do here. that won't change, no matter how much you whine about it.

it wasnt until seeing his coming around these last few games that ive seen RW making great strides (nothing to do with wins/losses btw). no it wasnt the hail mary for the win either.

if you think i care who here believed in RW sooner, well get used to it, I don't.
if you want some sort of medal for being the RW predictor then go appeal for it...yay for you?

I do still think flynn start beats phx and stl (and know where that puts our record),
but...it's also true i feel next year's ours with RW. i do think we'll be fine with RW (and/or flynn actually) .

next year folks.

You do care or you wouldn't feel the need to act like you didn't.

gargantual

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3gsa6w1c said:
hawkfan1975":3gsa6w1c said:
Scottemojo":3gsa6w1c said:

next year folks.

You do care or you wouldn't feel the need to act like you didn't.
<< -- This.

Even if a person concedes the Cards&Rams games would be Ws with Flynn under center (which I'm not sure I or a lot of others DO).....what about all the other games? Do the Flynn guys (and/or gals) think he'd have replicated or exceeded Wilson's performance against NE...or GB....or the other performances, while learning on the job no less?

I'm not intending sarcasm but rather seriously asking. My opinion is pretty obvious from my sig, no doubt....

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
gargantual":elcoolck said:
You do care or you wouldn't feel the need to act like you didn't. << -- This.

Even if a person concedes the Cards&Rams games would be Ws with Flynn under center (which I'm not sure I or a lot of others DO).....what about all the other games? Do the Flynn guys (and/or gals) think he'd have replicated or exceeded Wilson's performance against NE...or GB....or the other performances, while learning on the job no less?

I'm not intending sarcasm but rather seriously asking. My opinion is pretty obvious from my sig, no doubt....

No, I don't care. I replied to the scotmojo guy (not you).

In reply to the above though:
GB...won by RW? Hello?...Defense played lights out.
And you can pick any qb out there right now to throw up the hail mary. Fun games no doubt but take it easy.

No, that's not when I began believing in RW (at all). These last two however...a different story. He's put the kibosh on senseless scrambles, stays in pocket more often than not, throws aren't these arcing hopefuls, and more.

Look, some of us have been watching so many j**kon about RW as if he were your twin brother now since PS. We get it, you like the guy. Fantastic. I hope it leads to a lasting career in something, I really do.

meantime, some of us concentrate more on our hawks organization

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
gargantual":18h9wkfg said:

True nobody knows whether Flynn would've beaten them (exactly my prev reply...hello?), but I say Flynn picks 'm apart with dink and dunk...and that dink and dunk WINS BOTH THOSE GAMES. What's our record now had we beaten PHX and STL?

Here's what we DO KNOW: lack of offensive production..completely pathetic production...LOST THOSE GAMES.

No, RW wasn't high on the love meter come season start (nor fantasy pre-season either).

Again, Next year. RW is changing

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":abpws41u said:
gargantual":abpws41u said:

True nobody knows whether Flynn would've beaten them (exactly my prev reply...hello?), but I say Flynn picks 'm apart with dink and dunk...and that dink and dunk WINS BOTH THOSE GAMES. What's our record now had we beaten PHX and STL?

Here's what we DO KNOW: lack of offensive production..completely pathetic production...LOST THOSE GAMES.

No, RW wasn't high on the love meter come season start (nor fantasy pre-season either).
Conjecture like this serves no purpose except to convince yourself that even though Wilson is now playing very well, Pete was still wrong to start him. Never mind that the guy you think would have won with his dinkin and dunkin had an elbow problem when the season began, and could not throw very much even in practice. Or have you forgotten in your zeal to be right that Flynn had an elbow tendonitis issue? How was he going to deliver those mythical passes of yours in the Arizona game, FEDEX?

For the record, if Flynn had won the job, he would have been my guy too. I like to think that the guy(Pete) who watched the both of them every day would choose the right one. One thing all the media hype around Wilson has made abundantly clear is that is was his approach to the job that won Pete over as much as anything fans saw in some preseason games. Kinda makes sense, doesn't it? Well, it made sense to me. But I think Russell WON the job. You, on the other hand, use words like "annointed" in describing how Russell got the job. So maybe it doesn't make sense to you and your antiquated rules about how rookies need to learn from the sidelines. Which you have repeated continuously in the season where Luck and RGIII are doing pretty damn good as rookies, and following the season in which a few rookies did pretty damn good.

Maybe you can't help it.

gargantual

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":gbwlj4dm said:
gargantual":gbwlj4dm said:

Again, Next year. RW is changing

Actually I was in a hurry and just threw up a couple examples of games where we beat teams we didn't expect to (that may sound lame but whatever). It would have been more appropriate to use the last 4 games or so as examples of RW's good games to compare/contrast with what people think Flynn may've done (which I realize is an exercise in masturbatory speculation for everyone : )

I've been excited since we drafted him, pretty much expect him to exceed expectations and kick doors down in front of him as he's done throughout his life. From everything I've read anyway. That just seems to be what he does. Again and again.

I was shaking my head the whole time as he hit a few (relatively minor in my opinion) snags in the early reg season games. Compare his stats to any other rook QB their first year, Peyton or whoever, and jeez? What do people expect?

Is it just sour grapes that Flynn wasn't out there instead, regularly throwing 6 touchdowns a game? :sarcasm_off:

I actually feel great having him as our backup, and think he would've played fine (even though he would've also had a learning curve with a different O, wideouts, etc), winning his share of games for us as our starter. But he doesn't give me the sense of potential greatness that Russell just EXUDES. I know, I know...it takes 30+ games and a respectable sample size to know and all that.....but I feel it in my bones. And until something happens to change that.......that's what I'll continue to believe.

gargantual

Reaction score
Scottemojo":guv21jl8 said:
Never mind that the guy you think would have won with his dinkin and dunkin had an elbow problem when the season began, and could not throw very much even in practice.

If that wasn't a cover story because Matty was off "pouting" .....I know that's a bit catty, but it WAS what first entered my mind when that was all going down.

Ahh, to be a fly on the wall and see what REALLY goes on down there :D

(The FEDEX bit was classic btw)

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
So, I'm assuming this is just over flow from previous threads earlier in the season... but regardless of whether you disagreed a month or 2 ago... you all seem to be on the same page now regarding RW. So, who cares then?

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
On that note... what are your thoughts on this rookie QB class as a whole? How do you think it will stack up against other classes of the past?

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
FinNasty":84knr61c said:
So, I'm assuming this is just over flow from previous threads earlier in the season... but regardless of whether you disagreed a month or 2 ago... you all seem to be on the same page now regarding RW. So, who cares then?

I'm not sure why or how some people constantly feel some need to shout "hey, over here, i said it first " with RW, and then rewriting history as if he's been the only performer in a cast of clowns. really? fantastic ...now go collect your raffle ticket. i disagree, now let the adults talk.

btw, injured elbow shmelbow...the starter starts, and they had their starter. sore arm for a bit I imagine but the plan is/was "next year". this year though, cant help but note flynn wins PHX and STL among others. whats done is done though, the building holds importance.

really like what's happening now with RW, but let's keep it real and get a year underfoot at least before gaga posts. of course over here, after a win or two, talk of superbowl speeches enter the equation. oh....miami? nah, we got this. stl? definitely a win, etc etc.
christ.

anyway man, theres nothing about tannehills play that shouldn't begin to cause excitement. he really stepped up and looked solid that 2nd half. these two rookies have a lot more in common than not.

gargantual

Reaction score
FinNasty":2efve2pb said:
On that note... what are your thoughts on this rookie QB class as a whole? How do you think it will stack up against other classes of the past?

I've heard comparisons made by sports writer to that epic QB class form the Eighties where Marino and Elway came from and I'm starting to think that may pan out. The obvious ones (RG3 & Luck) are no brainers of course, but still those 2 have no where near the teams around them compared to you guys and us and are just tearing it up out there. The hype machine wasn't off on those 2 like it was with Aaron Curry.

Tannehill DID impress me and my gloomy thoughts of what-is-up with our D is turning more into being impressed with his skills after the emotional bite of the loss has had a few days to dwindle. Kind of like after the Lions loss. Just some top shelf QBing going on (admittedly later in the game after the D was tiring a bit - but still impressive).

Hell, even the Browns have looked good in a few clips I've seen. If you've read some of the commentary by sports writers about the reasons schools are cranking out more nfl ready to roll QBs really seems to be bearing fruit.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think Tannehill's lack of college experience shows. The pass that got picked in the end zone, then nullified by the penalty was a terrible decision. Is his future bright? For sure. But Fins fans will have to endure a few bonehead throws for the next couple of years while he gains experience.

gargantual

Reaction score
.....which of course is what you ALWAYS have with a rookie, a learning curve.

(and I was trying to be nice.....just a LIIIIIIIITTLE bit talking about Weeden, although I admittedly haven't seen much of the Browns, like even a whole game or anything)

Latest posts