Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: NFL Power Ranking - An Alarming Statistic
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 am 
* NET Nobody *

Ranked 13 but the real info is: "The Seahawks are allowing 155 yards rushing per game over the past five after allowing 70 per game over their first six. (Sando)"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2012/week/13

Post subject: Re: NFL Power Ranking - An Alarming Statistic
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 am 
NET Starter

Teams have been very successful in running i-formation runs right up the gut. Seems like the d-line can't get off their blocks, especially when McDonald is in there in place of Mebane.

49ers gashed us with those trap plays w/ Gore, then Peterson got 180+ next week with i-formation gut runs.

We need to sure up the run defense and clog the leaks!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:50 am 
NET Veteran

It's no secret that after SF exposed our interior gap control problems, that other teams are following suit.

The alarming thing for me is that you can excuse away some of the big rush numbers for teams like the Vikings and Niners, cause they have AP and Gore.........but to give up 189 yards to Thomas and Bush? That red flag can't get any bigger.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 am 
NET Veteran

I never bought into the whole "it's AP and Gore" argument.

Sure, they're great players, but has AP gotten 180+ yards against every other team ? It's also impossible that all the teams he's played have higher rated run defenses than we did at the time, so we played below average in that game, especially at home.

Same thing with Gore. Yup, he's good, but he had what, 89 yards against NO, which is one of the worst defenses, per yards given up, in NFL history. So he rung us up for 134 or something, and it's ok because he's good ?

Aside from the star rusher value, our team played worse than what both backs averaged per game over the season. We are trending badly in some areas and it's getting worse when teams like Miami are running wild against us.....and they haven't done so with such efficiency all year long.

Next up Chi and Buf. Buffalo HAS been running wild on people. And it's on the road........any over/under prognistications for Spiller ? I'd say unless things get fixed, he goes off for 160 on us.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 am 
NET Veteran

Sgt. Largent wrote:
It's no secret that after SF exposed our interior gap control problems, that other teams are following suit.

The alarming thing for me is that you can excuse away some of the big rush numbers for teams like the Vikings and Niners, cause they have AP and Gore.........but to give up 189 yards to Thomas and Bush? That red flag can't get any bigger.

Yep, agree. The niners found that weakness, exploited it, now in this copy cat league, every team is using the same blue print. And apparently we can't stop it. :cry:

The dolphins situation, I think was a combination of playing flat on the road, Leroy getting hurt, and then the Dolphins holding the hell out of us on those sweeps, and us not getting the calls. I think they saw the first one worked, no calls. And they just kept going back to it. Why not? If the refs weren't calling the holds, why wouldn't you keep doing it?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 am 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

Our run defense just isn't very good. Sucks because I don't think we can win consistently playing defense the way we have. One of the most encouraging things under Carroll has been the run defense improvement, and now we have reverted.

This is a very bad trend for our team.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 am 
NET Veteran

That Graziano guy sure does have something against us.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 am 
* NET Eeyore *

Yeah the run D has become very problematic for us..........I do not see good things for us the rest of the season. Really hope I am wrong.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am 
NET Veteran

Hawks46 wrote:
Sure, they're great players, but has AP gotten 180+ yards against every other team ? It's also impossible that all the teams he's played have higher rated run defenses than we did at the time, so we played below average in that game, especially at home.

Has he?
No
Can he?
Yes
In fact, he's averaged 145 yards a game over his last 5 games with three 60 plus yard runs in that period. It's clear he's getting back to full fitness.
He broke one big run for 74 yards, the kind of run that can happen to ANY team, and that typically skews the statline for the game, and although yes, that game was his best of the season, around 80% of his yards came on 5 carries, the rest of the game he was fairly ineffective. It's just demoralising for the defense when a player does that to you a few times in a game

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

Been 5 games since S.F exposed the Hawks' weakness v. the run up the middle. When will we see some coaching adjustments to counteract this? Or, is it simply a matter of the team's interior personnel not getting the job done. Tim Ryan seems really, really sharp and he mentioned that the problem lies with Wagner's recognition and assignment follow through.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:06 pm 
NET Veteran

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
Been 5 games since S.F exposed the Hawks' weakness v. the run up the middle. When will we see some coaching adjustments to counteract this? Or, is it simply a matter of the team's interior personnel not getting the job done. Tim Ryan seems really, really sharp and he mentioned that the problem lies with Wagner's recognition and assignment follow through.

We've heard Pete say at least three or four times now that he's unhappy with the gap assignment miscues, but that the goods news is that's fixable..............well Pete? When can we look forward to the fixing part?

Our defense has enough veteran leadership and talent to not devolve into missed assignments, stupid penalties and getting out of position every time their back's against the wall.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:42 pm 
NET Veteran

This is the most frustrating aspect of this team to me. The D is getting gashed in the running game, and it bums me out. This deep ball issue is becoming unsettling as well. Could be a long, tense, run to the end of the year.

Go Hawks.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

It seems clear to me that the Seahawk "train" is tottering and about to fall of the tracks. It's looking like we might only win two out of the remaining last five games. Which is a failed season in my book!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm 
NET Veteran

Bigpumpkin wrote:
It seems clear to me that the Seahawk "train" is tottering and about to fall of the tracks. It's looking like we might only win two out of the remaining last five games. Which is a failed season in my book!

Please tell me you are kidding..

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:23 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

We couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag "on the Road"....and I think we lose to the Niners without our cornerbacks. I now feel that we might only beat the Cards and maybe St. Louis.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:12 pm 
* NET Sage *

Bigpumpkin wrote:
We couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag "on the Road"....and I think we lose to the Niners without our cornerbacks. I now feel that we might only beat the Cards and maybe St. Louis.

Entirely possible. Unfortunately

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:55 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

The alarming thing to me isn't just the numbers...it's that we're as healthy as any team in the NFL and we're getting gouged by teams who are dealing with injuries.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm 
NET Veteran

Bigpumpkin wrote:
We couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag "on the Road"

Name one road game that was more than one score away from a win.

Name one that was decided before the final seconds.

And since you can't, go ahead and stop with the ridiculous "couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag" hyperbole. :141847_bnono:

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

OK, OK....we have a "break out" Road win in Chicago this Sunday..... and I'll "toss in the bag"!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 am 
* NET Nobody *

Bigpumpkin wrote:
OK, OK....we have a "break out" Road win in Chicago this Sunday..... and I'll "toss in the bag"!

If we beat Chicago, I'll poop in the bag, put it on Harbs doorstep and light it on fire! :P

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 am 
NET Veteran

twisted_steel2 wrote:
The dolphins situation, I think was a combination of playing flat on the road, Leroy getting hurt, and then the Dolphins holding the hell out of us on those sweeps, and us not getting the calls. I think they saw the first one worked, no calls. And they just kept going back to it. Why not?

If the refs weren't calling the holds, why wouldn't you keep doing it?

EXACTLY!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 am 
* Mr Random Thought *

Well that's three years in a row now where Seattle's run defense was stellar in the first half and weak in the second half. And Pete's been here three years exactly. So that's something to ponder on.

In fairness, Seattle's faced some good running backs in the last 5 games. If they are getting gashed by Steven Jackson and whatever Arizona is running out there, then I'd get worried.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:21 am 
NET Veteran

kearly wrote:
Well that's three years in a row now where Seattle's run defense was stellar in the first half and weak in the second half. And Pete's been here three years exactly. So that's something to ponder on.

In fairness, Seattle's faced some good running backs in the last 5 games. If they are getting gashed by Steven Jackson and whatever Arizona is running out there, then I'd get worried.

Steven Jackson is still one of the best backs in the league though - but that said, we've contained him well in the past, so I'd be miffed if he runs all over us.
Also, whilst I agree we fell apart in 2010, we lost Cole, Bryant and Mebane for sustained periods - last year our Run D was solid down the stretch, forcing Baltimore to throw 52 pass attempts and limit Rice to just FIVE carries, two games against St Louis where we kept Jackson quiet AGAIN (in our first game we limited him to 42 yards in one game, with 19 of those yards coming on a 3rd and 26 run - and in one drive in the second game, we stopped them 7 times in a row from our own 1 before FINALLY succumbing),
we held LeSean McCoy to 84 yards, Kahlil Bell (lol) to 64 yards, and Frank Gore to 83 yards on 23 carries (3.6 yard average - though Kendall Hunter gashed us for 73 on 12 carries, but the 49ers are one of the best rushing teams in the league, and allowing 156 yards on 35 carries to them isn't the biggest crime in the world), and Larod Stevens-Howling to 93 yards. In fact, we allowed just one 100 yard game in the final 8 (Roy Helu, with 108), in a game where our defense simply couldn't stop anything.
I would hardly classify that 8 game stretch as "falling apart", all thigns considered.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 am 
NET Veteran

I'll go back to what I've been saying and getting laughed at for all season. I promised you guys it would come to fruition and it has. Bobby Wagner's butt isn't big enough. Watch the tape. Do you EVER see him blow up a guard or a fullback at the line of scrimmage? Then watch MLB's that are good at stopping the run. First, they are physically built much differently. Then, their very first instinct is to jump up into the hole. I believe this is innate in a MLB. Something they've been doing since they were 10 years old. Wagner is going to be a very good player in this league. Better at OLB than MLB. Luckily, there aren't THAT many teams that run the ball up the gut. But when we face them, we're going to be in trouble as long as he is in there.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]