At what point does Pete Carroll hit the 'hot seat'..?

kmedic

Reaction score
In my opinion Pete Carroll is a good NFL coach, not great, but good. Is that enough to bring us to the promised land? With enough talent (thus a great GM, which I think we have) and smart coordinators surrounding him I do think it can be done.

Pete has proven to be a good motivator of young men. He has a great defensive mind and knows how to build a defense. From a scheme point of view, he may even be ahead of the game. From an energy and physical standpoint, he prepares his teams well for the most part each week.

However, this team consistently has way too many penalties. And penalties can cost you a game. This is a sign of an undisciplined team. His "excuse" is "youth", but I call BS. Tom Coughlin would never allow 7 freaking penalites in just the first quarter of a game, even with an all rookie squad. While being too much of a dicatator can be detrimental, in general, being a more disciplined team leads to more success IMO. There are exceptions like the Colts under Tony Dungy, but I don't get the sense that Pete demands the same level of respect that Dungy does when he walks into a players meeting room. Pete is simply too lax and "trusts" his players too much IMO. To truly be elite, I believe he needs to distance himself a bit more from his players. There needs to be more of a boss to worker mentality and less of an uncle to nephew feeling.

Additionally, I don't think anyone can argue that Carroll is not a below average in-game manager of the game. He wastes many challenges (one day which will cost us a game you can count on it) and tends to call at least one dumb "hormonal" play per game which makes you scratch your head.

Would I rather have Tom Coughlin, Jim Harbaugh, or Jeff Fisher? Hell yes, but it is what it is. Pete overall is a good coach, so I think we stick with him unless some strange massive collapse unfolds, but unlikely to happen. I do hope, however, that he recognizes his weaknesses and tries to make an earnest effort to correct them.

HawkHack

Reaction score
PC has shown that he is not afraid to fire coordinators. See Bates, Jeremy.

THA SEA MONSTA

Reaction score
we need more aggresive play calling but pete is our coach if they fire him there idiots

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Vpk0718":1y8dialt said:
I didn't think he should be on the hot seat until yesterday, but now I do.

So many offensive penalties that killed drives, he simply did not have them prepared

Not going for that field goal (which again, offensive penalties killed that drive)

Not going for it on 4th down, which would have been well worth the risk considering how good the defense was in the first half

The final drive, going completely conservative when we needed a first down to get into field goal position. Calling a running play and a screen on 1st and 2nd down, neither of which had had any success all game, thus allowing their defense to play the pass on third down. Let Wilson throw the ball on first and second down.

He played not to lose. That is fine at the start of the season when we're trying to break in a rookie QB, but now we're in a playoff race. Go for the win.

Now we might possibly be looking at a 9-7 record or even 8-8, with a supposedly elite defense and a great running game, and that is right around Carroll's teams usually ended up in his first stint in the NFL.

That game took my opinion of Carroll as a head coach way down.

This x 10000000000000. I know we have 2 very bad men in our back field, and I'm all for getting Beast Mode his touches, but the guy (DangeRuss) has shown nothing but improvement as the season has went on. Why not give the guy the green light to fire the ball 3 downs for once. Run Run Pass and Run Screen Pass are starting to get old real quick.

Edit: I understand the mentality by running on first and using a screen on second, keep the clock running, but Miami shut down the run all day. What in Gods name made them think that on the most critical of drives the outcome would be different, is beyond me.

zayden185

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":3v7366xw said:
Why, in a multimillion dollar company, do we not test our own guys before hand. Positive? Has an ankle injury from practice.

Get Lance Armstong on the payroll

Plausible deniability. If we catch them and don't report it....it's a scandal and coverup...draft picks and huge fines etc(picks is exaggerated on this but has happened)

It sounds like it may have been not reported to the league that they were legally prescribed and sent through proper channels to the league?? (Hope and pray)

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Smoke":60c3dq8l said:
Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

our foundation is there, our QB is there, our Oline is young and still learning to play together. Yeah, these loses hurt, but playing as young as we are with the veteran leadership being a 30 year old FullBack or a safety that is in his 3rd year, there are going to be games were we biff it hard do to lack of maturity as players. We are still green.

Calling for heads after each loss, or even calling this team mediocre means your are not paying attention, and certainly not using your God Given logic.

Thank You. Pete isn't going anywhere as long as he wants to coach in Seattle. Period End of Story.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":13mr1me6 said:
Vpk0718":13mr1me6 said:
I didn't think he should be on the hot seat until yesterday, but now I do.

So many offensive penalties that killed drives, he simply did not have them prepared

Not going for that field goal (which again, offensive penalties killed that drive)

Not going for it on 4th down, which would have been well worth the risk considering how good the defense was in the first half

The final drive, going completely conservative when we needed a first down to get into field goal position. Calling a running play and a screen on 1st and 2nd down, neither of which had had any success all game, thus allowing their defense to play the pass on third down. Let Wilson throw the ball on first and second down.

He played not to lose. That is fine at the start of the season when we're trying to break in a rookie QB, but now we're in a playoff race. Go for the win.

Now we might possibly be looking at a 9-7 record or even 8-8, with a supposedly elite defense and a great running game, and that is right around Carroll's teams usually ended up in his first stint in the NFL.

That game took my opinion of Carroll as a head coach way down.

This x 10000000000000. I know we have 2 very bad men in our back field, and I'm all for getting Beast Mode his touches, but the guy (DangeRuss) has shown nothing but improvement as the season has went on. Why not give the guy the green light to fire the ball 3 downs for once. Run Run Pass and Run Screen Pass are starting to get old real quick.

Edit: I understand the mentality by running on first and using a screen on second, keep the clock running, but Miami shut down the run all day. What in Gods name made them think that on the most critical of drives the outcome would be different, is beyond me.

I totally agree. I made a post at halftime saying Russell Wilson should have 35 throws when this game is over if we are going to win because without him the offense was completely shutdown. And if any other QB would have been in. I don't even want to know how many sacks there would have been.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":o95slcmr said:
Why, in a multimillion dollar company, do we not test our own guys before hand. Positive? Has an ankle injury from practice.

Get Lance Armstong on the payroll
Now there's a common sense idea.
:th2thumbs:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":1h2zxxif said:
We are on year three of a rebuild project and currently #6 seed in the playoffs. Why is he on the hotseat again?

How many times has this team been blown out this year?

Thank you. Exactly. There's no need to put Pete on the hotseat yet.

Think where this team was when he took over to now. It's been a huge improvement. We're only a few plays away from being 11-0 this season, honestly. Had some unlucky breaks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete on the hot seat this year is crazy talk, all the guy's done is infuse the team with great young talent at just about every position.

IMO the next two years is when the Hawks have to take the next step. Next step = serious perennial deep playoff contender, and on equal ground with SF for NFC West titles.

Latest posts