why wouldn't pete use a timeout

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
why wouldn't pete use a timeout
Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:52 pm
  • obviously the dolphins are going to let the clock run down to 2-3 seconds prior to kicking their fg.. why dont we use a timeout so we atleast get the ball back for a return opportunity or even a play if they boot it out of the back of the endzone.. you never know what could happen in that situation.. and we have had some crazy plays this year.. but especially with a hot leon washington sitting back there i doubt they'd kick it to him and we'd prolly have the ball on the 20 with one play remaining.. better than watching it sail through the up rights with 00 on the clock..
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Re: why wouldn't pete use a timeout
Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:54 pm
  • i didnt think we had any TO left
    hawkfan333
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:01 pm
  • i coulda sworn we had one left.. are you sure.. i think it was just pete hoping for a missed/blocked fg and not paying attention.
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:04 pm
  • no i am not sure and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. He actually screwed up a lot in that game like passing on 2 fieldgoals in the first have that we in hauskas range
    hawkfan333
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 pm
  • Most kickers say the time out doesn't affect them since they usually get the kick off anyways after it is called. They see it as a practice attempt. More and more coaches seem to not be trying to 'ice' kickers anymore.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 pm
  • that wasnt really his question it was why didnt pete take one when miami was letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds when they took thier timeout
    hawkfan333
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:13 pm
  • Icing the kicker doesn't work. I take more offense that we allowed Bess and Tannehill to drive it down our throats with just a minute.

We were robbed on that procedure penalty 10 seconds should have run off the clock.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:16 pm
  • hawkfan333 wrote:that wasnt really his question it was why didnt pete take one when miami was letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds when they took thier timeout

Was it fourth down? I can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th. Even so, on the kick off they 100% will squib it which would result in a 4th string TE returning it to the 30 and most likely running out the clock.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:18 pm
  • hey guys if you are going to post on a thread why dont you read the thread he wasnt asking about ICING THE KICKER he was asking why we didnt take one while they were letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds before they called a timeout to kick the field goal
    hawkfan333
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:
    hawkfan333 wrote:that wasnt really his question it was why didnt pete take one when miami was letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds when they took thier timeout

Was it fourth down? I can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th. Even so, on the kick off they 100% will squib it which would result in a 4th string TE returning it to the 30 and most likely running out the clock.

yes that is usually the case but usually you dont get a hail mary winning td on monday night football either so you never know what can happen
    hawkfan333
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:43 pm
  • doesn't matter if it was 4th down or not they were happy with kicking for a fg at that point.. they werent going to risk snapping it and fumbling away their chance at a fg to win.. but my exact point accounted for what you said.. even returning a squib kick or possibly having one play from our own 20 yard line is better than watching the ball sail through the uprights as time expires..
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:43 pm
  • It was first down. Thomas rushed for 4 yards on 3rd and 3 with 25 seconds left when everyone in the western hemisphere knew it was a run play. The icing on the turd for that embarrassing drive.
    Feed the Hawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:59 pm
  • you still take the timeout and let the dolphins decide if they want to snap it again and risk a fumble or go for the field goal and kick it off to us.... either way.. thats one extra play.......
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 pm
  • especiallllly with a rookie qb in there that just had a huge game... i couldn't think of a better time for a qb to get ancy about not fumbling a snap because its gona cost them the game...
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 pm
  • hey OP - I thought the same thing ! why not call a Time out which would force the dolphins to either run another play ( could lead to fumble or ten second runoff) or kick a FG which would then give us about 7 seconds at a miracle attempt.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:13 pm
  • I thought we called the time out right before the kick trying to give their kicker time to think about it, making him nervous. But then again, what does 10-20 seconds matter under those circumstances so why not call it a few seconds earlier?
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:19 pm
  • nah we had one remaining when the dolphins ran the ball up the middle with about 14 seconds to go .

id call a time out and who knows maybe our old friend richie igconito gets a holding call on the next play and we are going into overtime
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:04 pm
  • Carroll obviously didn't think on his feet at that moment.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:52 pm
  • hawkfan333 wrote:hey guys if you are going to post on a thread why don't you read the thread he wasn't asking about ICING THE KICKER he was asking why we didn't take one while they were letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds before they called a timeout to kick the field goal

they didn't kick on 4th down right?

time out, fins come back, spike the ball, let the clock run down, kick

I don't think there was any strategy in calling a time out even if they had one?
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 pm
  • Twisted wrote:
    hawkfan333 wrote:hey guys if you are going to post on a thread why don't you read the thread he wasn't asking about ICING THE KICKER he was asking why we didn't take one while they were letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds before they called a timeout to kick the field goal

I don't think there was any strategy in calling a time out even if they had one?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they had any timeouts left. So if they decided to spike it, there might not have been enough time to get the field goal unit on the field for the kick.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 pm
  • Spike stops the clock.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 pm
  • KARAVARUS wrote:Spike stops the clock.

Oh yeah, haha. :D
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 pm
  • hawkfan333 wrote:no i am not sure and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. He actually screwed up a lot in that game like passing on 2 fieldgoals in the first have that we in hauskas range

The closest we were to a field goal on any of the punts in the first half was at the Miami 38, making it a 55 or 56 yard field goal. Considering there was no score at that time, and Haushka is 1 for 4 on field goals over 50 yards, I'd say it's pretty ridiculous to say that Carroll "screwed up" on that decision.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:09 pm
  • I think the point is, the Phins might have jumped the gun, not set, etc. and got a penalty that ran out the clock during the spike. Very VERY slim chance, but I saw the same thing happen this weekend. Don't leave any stone unturned.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:19 am

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 am
  • dontbelikethat wrote:
    Twisted wrote:
    hawkfan333 wrote:hey guys if you are going to post on a thread why don't you read the thread he wasn't asking about ICING THE KICKER he was asking why we didn't take one while they were letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds before they called a timeout to kick the field goal

my DVR recorded half the game, sweet

maybe someone else can go back and see what the situation was, I think the fins had both time and timeouts, and kicked the FG on like the 2nd or 3rd down?

can't remember I watched like 8 games Sunday

I highly doubt Pete or anyone upstairs would have not called a timeout if they thought there would even be a second left after a kickoff as Washington always has a shot at 6 at that wins the game, it may have slipped one coaches mid but not all of them, not to mention the players can call a time out as well..

most likely they didn't have a time out, but since directtv only recorded the first half of the game for me I cant go look, I prolly didn't add the extension? i usually do cuz it needs 4 hours but something else is odd, there are 2 recordings for the game,. the first recording wont play, I select the play option and it jumps right to the do you want to keep or delete option, strange? the second recording is the first half? its never done that before?

sunday ticket can be goofy and I am going to raise cain, in many instances it will have the game on the higher channels 701 through 715(sunday ticket), often after the first half it will black it out on the high channel, then you have to go look for it on the lower channel 3-13 local network, last Sunday it did it vice versa, played the GB game on the local channel through the first half then switched to the high channel after the half?

pretty stoopid cuz the guides don't inform you of the switch so recording is tough, they need to deal with it cuz if it happens during a hawks game I'm throwing it through their front window

sorry I had to vent, after just seeing I only have half the game I am kinda disturbed, one of the reasons I got the Sunday ticket and DVR is so I can go back and analyze, I'm sure someone else has it recorded and can go back and have a peek...
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 am
  • Vpk0718 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWGCeMNmyV0

Anything can happen. If you have a timeout there, use it and make them run an extra play.

EXXXXXXXXACTLY! seeing as they just had a illegal formation call... and now you have a rookie qb that just played the biggest game of his nfl career getting ready to take a snap thinking dont lose this dont lose this dont lose this..
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 am
  • Cause calling a timeout would have resulted in Miami running one more play, which would have resulted in getting even closer.

If it was fourth down? Yeah you call a timeout. But it wasn't, it was first down..........and that kids, is the story of Christmas.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 am
  • We definitely had the timeout, as I remember the announcers commenting that Pete could "ice" the kicker if he wanted to.

However, as has been pointed out, since it was first down, they could have just taken a knee and then let it run down to 2 seconds and taken their timeout. Same result.
    Ballz
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information