why wouldn't pete use a timeout

redhawk253

Reaction score
obviously the dolphins are going to let the clock run down to 2-3 seconds prior to kicking their fg.. why dont we use a timeout so we atleast get the ball back for a return opportunity or even a play if they boot it out of the back of the endzone.. you never know what could happen in that situation.. and we have had some crazy plays this year.. but especially with a hot leon washington sitting back there i doubt they'd kick it to him and we'd prolly have the ball on the 20 with one play remaining.. better than watching it sail through the up rights with 00 on the clock..

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
i coulda sworn we had one left.. are you sure.. i think it was just pete hoping for a missed/blocked fg and not paying attention.

hawkfan333

Reaction score
no i am not sure and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. He actually screwed up a lot in that game like passing on 2 fieldgoals in the first have that we in hauskas range

mistaowen

Reaction score
Most kickers say the time out doesn't affect them since they usually get the kick off anyways after it is called. They see it as a practice attempt. More and more coaches seem to not be trying to 'ice' kickers anymore.

hawkfan333

Reaction score
that wasnt really his question it was why didnt pete take one when miami was letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds when they took thier timeout

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Icing the kicker doesn't work. I take more offense that we allowed Bess and Tannehill to drive it down our throats with just a minute.

We were robbed on that procedure penalty 10 seconds should have run off the clock.

mistaowen

Reaction score
hawkfan333":1q866zdd said:
that wasnt really his question it was why didnt pete take one when miami was letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds when they took thier timeout

Was it fourth down? I can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th. Even so, on the kick off they 100% will squib it which would result in a 4th string TE returning it to the 30 and most likely running out the clock.

hawkfan333

Reaction score
hey guys if you are going to post on a thread why dont you read the thread he wasnt asking about ICING THE KICKER he was asking why we didnt take one while they were letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds before they called a timeout to kick the field goal

hawkfan333

Reaction score
mistaowen":1iymmokx said:
hawkfan333":1iymmokx said:

Was it fourth down? I can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th. Even so, on the kick off they 100% will squib it which would result in a 4th string TE returning it to the 30 and most likely running out the clock.
yes that is usually the case but usually you dont get a hail mary winning td on monday night football either so you never know what can happen

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
doesn't matter if it was 4th down or not they were happy with kicking for a fg at that point.. they werent going to risk snapping it and fumbling away their chance at a fg to win.. but my exact point accounted for what you said.. even returning a squib kick or possibly having one play from our own 20 yard line is better than watching the ball sail through the uprights as time expires..

Feed the Hawk

Reaction score
It was first down. Thomas rushed for 4 yards on 3rd and 3 with 25 seconds left when everyone in the western hemisphere knew it was a run play. The icing on the turd for that embarrassing drive.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
you still take the timeout and let the dolphins decide if they want to snap it again and risk a fumble or go for the field goal and kick it off to us.... either way.. thats one extra play.......

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
especiallllly with a rookie qb in there that just had a huge game... i couldn't think of a better time for a qb to get ancy about not fumbling a snap because its gona cost them the game...

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
hey OP - I thought the same thing ! why not call a Time out which would force the dolphins to either run another play ( could lead to fumble or ten second runoff) or kick a FG which would then give us about 7 seconds at a miracle attempt.

sam1313

Reaction score
I thought we called the time out right before the kick trying to give their kicker time to think about it, making him nervous. But then again, what does 10-20 seconds matter under those circumstances so why not call it a few seconds earlier?

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
nah we had one remaining when the dolphins ran the ball up the middle with about 14 seconds to go .

id call a time out and who knows maybe our old friend richie igconito gets a holding call on the next play and we are going into overtime

Twisted

Reaction score
hawkfan333":3ig0ruy1 said:
hey guys if you are going to post on a thread why don't you read the thread he wasn't asking about ICING THE KICKER he was asking why we didn't take one while they were letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds before they called a timeout to kick the field goal

they didn't kick on 4th down right?

time out, fins come back, spike the ball, let the clock run down, kick

I don't think there was any strategy in calling a time out even if they had one?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Twisted":1s6f931z said:
hawkfan333":1s6f931z said:
hey guys if you are going to post on a thread why don't you read the thread he wasn't asking about ICING THE KICKER he was asking why we didn't take one while they were letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds before they called a timeout to kick the field goal

they didn't kick on 4th down right?

time out, fins come back, spike the ball, let the clock run down, kick

I don't think there was any strategy in calling a time out even if they had one?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they had any timeouts left. So if they decided to spike it, there might not have been enough time to get the field goal unit on the field for the kick.