At what point does Pete Carroll hit the 'hot seat'..?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kearly":3mqakpnj said:
The Seahawks have gone from 30th or 31st in weighted DVOA to top 5 in just 3 years. As long as we are one of the best teams in the NFL, they have all the patience in the world from me.

There is no such thing as a clutch coach or a coach who could make us a 8-0 road team. The current Niners team is the only west coast team in recent memory to dominate on the road, and they are statistically the best team in the NFL over the last two seasons. Seattle is not a truly elite team yet like SF. They are close though. Seattle has played WAY better than their 1-5 road record. WAY better. I'm guessing that with average luck they've probably played at a 3-2 level, but for whatever reason they always find a way to lose in the 4th quarter. I don't think that's coaching. I think it's just shitty luck and nothing more.

To even post this topic is unseemly. Don't give stupid people bad ideas. But to answer the question, I wouldn't cast my vote against Carroll until it's clear that the game has passed him by and he's basically like an old Al Davis. That day will come eventually, but probably not for at least 10 years.

How are we one of the 5 best teams in the league? I think some of you guys look at numbers more then your eyes.

We just got gashed in the running game yet again. How is that improvement? We currently are riding the coattails of a great start defensively which has skewed these magic numbers that you are using to judge this team.

My eyes see lots of flaws on defense.
Judge with your eyes.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Steve2222 said:
We are on year three of a rebuild project and currently #6 seed in the playoffs. Why is he on the hotseat again?

How many times has this team been blown out this year?[/quo

Does not matter, all that matters is winning.

themunn

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":14k6fond said:
Steve2222":14k6fond said:
We are on year three of a rebuild project and currently #6 seed in the playoffs. Why is he on the hotseat again?

No, all that matters is making the playoffs.
It doesn't matter if you go 15-1 or 7-9 if you make the playoffs - it doesn't matter if you went 15-1 or 7-9 if you lose the first game after that.
I'd rather be a team that's 6-5 with 5 close losses than a team that's 8-3 with 3 blowout losses.
Close losses can be adjusted for, blowouts? Not always

themunn

Reaction score
JSeahawks":29hks12u said:
hawksfansinceday1":29hks12u said:
JSeahawks":29hks12u said:
The one and only concern I have with Carroll is that offensively he seems to play not to lose, rather then play to win. I wish he would show more confidence in the players that he brought in and coached up. Hopefully that will happen next year when he no longer has a rookie quarterback.
He no longer has a rookie QB J. Wilson's already past the rookie stage and if I can see it, Pete should be able to as well. Dude progresses through his reads like a 6 year vet and when was the last time he made a poor decision? He makes physical mistakes now and then (poor throws) but he hasn't made a mental mistake in the last 3 or 4 games that I can recall. I thought they should've thrown the hell out of the ball today to loosen up the Phins' defense. That goes along with what you said to be sure.

Actually I thought he made a crucial rookie mistake today. Should have thrown the ball into the dirt on that blown screen to Lynch instead of actually completing the pass. That cost us some critical yards. But overall, I agree that he doesnt play like a rookie.

It depends - do you lose a couple of yards and hope you can make them up on the next play or stop the clock and give the dolphins even more time to score?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2n789vq1 said:
I don't know if this coaching staff is the one to lead this team over that hump anymore. Could be Carroll, could be Bevell.. etc. But it's looking more and more like this team is staring a .500 season in the face - and given the talent level on both sides, that is very disappointing.

So when does Pete Carroll hit the hot seat? 2013? The last 5 weeks if the team bottoms out? Not at all?

Discuss.

JSeahawks":2n789vq1 said:
From the fans, he already is.

From Paul Allen, I think we could lose every game the rest of this season and he will be fine. He will be evaluated on next season, imo.

You got all that from one game? No need to look at the vast improvements from last year to this? Or the youth of the team? Just go over the edge on one last second loss (by the way each of our defeats this year have come to the last play, although the 9ers game was far more of a long shot)

Christ on a bike... relax

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
themunn":1488p3rw said:
TorontoHawk":1488p3rw said:
Steve2222":1488p3rw said:

No, all that matters is making the playoffs.
It doesn't matter if you go 15-1 or 7-9 if you make the playoffs - it doesn't matter if you went 15-1 or 7-9 if you lose the first game after that.
I'd rather be a team that's 6-5 with 5 close losses than a team that's 8-3 with 3 blowout losses.
Close losses can be adjusted for, blowouts? Not always[/quo

I would rather be 15-1 and get the buy week and home field advantage for the playoffs, so yes all that matters is winning.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3tegsdmz said:
kearly":3tegsdmz said:
The Seahawks have gone from 30th or 31st in weighted DVOA to top 5 in just 3 years. As long as we are one of the best teams in the NFL, they have all the patience in the world from me.

The top teams in the NFL do not lose to the Cardinals, Rams and Dolphins on the road.

How about losing to the Cardinals at home (Patriots), or nearly losing to the Rams on the road (49ers). This statement is idiotic.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3dzl35hb said:
Tech Worlds":3dzl35hb said:
Smoke":3dzl35hb said:
Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

our foundation is there, our QB is there, our Oline is young and still learning to play together. Yeah, these loses hurt, but playing as young as we are with the veteran leadership being a 30 year old FullBack or a safety that is in his 3rd year, there are going to be games were we biff it hard do to lack of maturity as players. We are still green.

Calling for heads after each loss, or even calling this team mediocre means your are not paying attention, and certainly not using your God Given logic.

All true but at some point all those great things need to lead to wins. We are looking at yet another 500 season. How many more will he get?
Demand better Seahawks fans.

Riot?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3ob7uiu8 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3ob7uiu8 said:
NFSeahawks628":3ob7uiu8 said:
Playing close games doesn't matter, wins do.

You're right.

And we have six wins, which right now puts us in pole position for the post season via wildcard.

cesame":3ob7uiu8 said:
He has lost 4 games to teams under .500 this year. That is unacceptable with the team he has.

You mean the team he created?

We would be out of the playoffs if they started today, if I understood the tie-breaking procedures correctly.

If you can't get up for a road game and win a few you won't be around long in the playoffs, it's simple really.

Not true. We would be the 6th seed if the playoffs started today and we'd be traveling to Chicago for the WC round.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-pic ... ent_stream

USChawk

Reaction score
The team is better then it was last year and I think it's pretty clear, QB and WR play alone is waaaaaaaaay better then last year. The only thing on the team that is worse this year then last year is the run D and I have no answers for that other then Branch and Mebane don't seem to be as effective. The LBs don't seem to fill the gaps all the time and Kam doesn't seem the same since the beginning of the year.

Yes it is extremely frustrating that they can't seem to pull it out on the road. The reason seems very obvious to me and it's that the defense doesn't travel. Specifically the defensive line doesn't travel for whatever reason. I thought we could always rely on the run defense to be there but that has disappeared since halftime of the Niners game. When the team pressured Tannehill he made awful decisions. He wasn't pressured enough in the game, the 4th quarter specifically, and he shredded the defense. We don't get pressure on QBs on the road and now we don't defend the run either on the road. That isn't going to win a whole lot of road games. It's that simple the team is built to stop these 4th quarter drives that the Lions and Dolphins have put together and they aren't doing it. The team is built to play with the lead and finish but we can't hit the quarterback or even make him uncomfortable late in games.

Also I'm sure you are a real nice guy and all cesame but reading your posts makes me want to punch you in the face...repeatedly. That is in no way a threat or anything like, I despise internet tough guys, that is just the feeling I get from reading your posts which if they were printed on paper would not be worth wiping my, well you get the idea.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
USChawk":dyqvoghj said:
The team is better then it was last year and I think it's pretty clear, QB and WR play alone is waaaaaaaaay better then last year. The only thing on the team that is worse this year then last year is the run D and I have no answers for that other then Branch and Mebane don't seem to be as effective. The LBs don't seem to fill the gaps all the time and Kam doesn't seem the same since the beginning of the year.

Yes it is extremely frustrating that they can't seem to pull it out on the road. The reason seems very obvious to me and it's that the defense doesn't travel. Specifically the defensive line doesn't travel for whatever reason. I thought we could always rely on the run defense to be there but that has disappeared since halftime of the Niners game. When the team pressured Tannehill he made awful decisions. He wasn't pressured enough in the game, the 4th quarter specifically, and he shredded the defense. We don't get pressure on QBs on the road and now we don't defend the run either on the road. That isn't going to win a whole lot of road games. It's that simple the team is built to stop these 4th quarter drives that the Lions and Dolphins have put together and they aren't doing it. The team is built to play with the lead and finish but we can't hit the quarterback or even make him uncomfortable late in games.

Also I'm sure you are a real nice guy and all cesame but reading your posts makes me want to punch you in the face...repeatedly. That is in no way a threat or anything like, I despise internet tough guys, that is just the feeling I get from reading your posts which if they were printed on paper would not be worth wiping my, well you get the idea.

:high-five:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
USChawk":3seaivdl said:

:thirishdrinkers:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pete has to have an ass kicking 2013 season. Some of you are pissed and wondering if this should be his last year here, and you are wrong. It simply will not happen.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
USChawk

That is an excellent overview and is very much the same thing I am seeing. Branch an Mebrae and wearing down , not getting penetration and shoved around. I suspect they will be looking for another big man in the middle in the offseason.

Lam I think was hurt when he backed off to decrease his penalties. He is not real fast and his game seems to be stooping runs and helping out the LBs in coverage. I can see why they considered moving him to LB. I think it makes sense actually

The guy that's killing us is Trufant. I have been watching him carefully the last few games and he sadly no longer has the physical tools to do it.

As far as JC it's the same as the rap on a lot of coaches coming out of college. A lack of discipline in aspects. The PEDs, penalties , freelancing on the defense etc. he needs to make the players accountable and pay a price for mistakes

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If either coordinator is employed by Seattle next year then he dang well should be on the hot seat!

mikeak

Reaction score
I think wins against NE and other great teams helps as much as hurts a coach.

I am saying - if you can beat NE how come you loose to St Louis, Miami and Arizona?........

How come you play all these close games but loose that many towards the end?

How come the play-calling looks like you don't want to loose the game instead of just going all-out to win the game......

Each loss is not equal. You go 8-8 but lost twice to 49ers and they win the SB and then had another loss to Chicago, Houston, GB or something then people can live with it.

You beat NE, GB, go 1-1 with 49ers but loose to St Louis, Miami, Buffalo and the play calling looks bad (may or may not be but LOOKS bad) then the heat on the seat keeps cranking up

Vpk0718

Reaction score
I didn't think he should be on the hot seat until yesterday, but now I do.

So many offensive penalties that killed drives, he simply did not have them prepared

Not going for that field goal (which again, offensive penalties killed that drive)

Not going for it on 4th down, which would have been well worth the risk considering how good the defense was in the first half

The final drive, going completely conservative when we needed a first down to get into field goal position. Calling a running play and a screen on 1st and 2nd down, neither of which had had any success all game, thus allowing their defense to play the pass on third down. Let Wilson throw the ball on first and second down.

He played not to lose. That is fine at the start of the season when we're trying to break in a rookie QB, but now we're in a playoff race. Go for the win.

Now we might possibly be looking at a 9-7 record or even 8-8, with a supposedly elite defense and a great running game, and that is right around Carroll's teams usually ended up in his first stint in the NFL.

That game took my opinion of Carroll as a head coach way down.

THA SEA MONSTA

Reaction score
Steve2222":t1y1x1j4 said:

How many times has this team been blown out this year?
:13: