Is Pete Carroll just an average coach?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Is Pete Carroll just an average coach?
Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:24 pm
  • His record kind of suggests that, doesn't it?
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• Or maybe this is just an average team with average players. Kinda goes both ways if you ask me.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• yes and yes
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• This^
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

• We have an average coach with an amazing front office.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

• TJH wrote:We have an average coach with an amazing front office.

He's part of the FO
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Dont ask this question. my thread was locked and all I did was suggest Pete was mediocre and I would like to see Gruden next year. some posters cannot handle the truth, OP.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• No reason to lock this thread.

When you look at Carroll's NFL record you see a very average coach. This can't be argued.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• Seems to be. He needs to hold the team accountable for this.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

• His record is poor as a head coach in three nfl.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• I said it in another thread but all of our losses are due to mental lapses. In every single loss you can look at something we did that has no excuse for happening.

That is all coaching. So draw your own conclusions....
    amill87
    NET Veteran

• Jazzhawk wrote:Or maybe this is just an average team with average players. Kinda goes both ways if you ask me.

But PC and JS brought those average players here so he can't escape that either.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I agree

This team seems to lack discipline in a lot of areas. That's on Pete.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• You cant call pete a great coach when he has lost to teams he should have beat this year.Rams,cards and the phins should have been all wins.I dont care where you play them at.People want to fire the coordinators but who is making these decisions to hire them.2 offensive coordinators.is that 3 oline coaches? in 3 years.
    I have always felt a coach deserves 4 or 5 years but i do believe he is an average NFL coach.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• I see us as the 49ers of a few years ago . A team with a lot of talent that if they get a good coach will kick ass.

Hopefully Pete can succeed here but I am having my doubts.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• In advance let me say; Harbaugh's a good coach. But, all he did was turn what should've been an 11-5 team for 3 straight years into a 13-3 team. If Pete or Shurmer get replaced, all that new HC has to do is turn the key.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:In advance let me say; Harbaugh's a good coach. But, all he did was turn what should've been an 11-5 team for 3 straight years into a 13-3 team. If Pete or Shurmer get replaced, all that new HC has to do is turn the key.

That's what I mean. I see the parallels.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    pehawk wrote:In advance let me say; Harbaugh's a good coach. But, all he did was turn what should've been an 11-5 team for 3 straight years into a 13-3 team. If Pete or Shurmer get replaced, all that new HC has to do is turn the key.

That's what I mean. I see the parallels.

I KNEW WHAT YOU MEAN!! I just didn't feel, well, that given the fact we slept together once I needed to use the quote feature anymore. It's not intimate.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• An average coach doesn't punt in opponents 38 yard line at 4th and 1.

A scared coach does. My NC State just fired O'Brien. I think he very much coached not to loose. PC does the same. How do you not go for it or try for 3 pts. I just don't get it
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I don't think youth can be used as an excuse because we have so much experience with our young guys. I think there is a fundamental problem with Pete's approach. When you play to keep games close then you will lose some games you have no business losing. I think we coach up the players, but we often approach the game itself the wrong way.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• endzorn wrote:I don't think youth can be used as an excuse because we have so much experience with our young guys. I think there is a fundamental problem with Pete's approach. When you play to keep games close then you will lose some games you have no business losing. I think we coach up the players, but we often approach the game itself the wrong way.

Exactly. The Jim Boheim factor. Ever notice Syracuse ALWAYS lost to a #15 or something in the tourney? Well, Jimmy never ditched this zone. So, in effect, they never won BECAUSE of their physical talent.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• The Seahawks have 4 losses this year to teams under .500.

Completely unacceptable. Pete Carroll is a game over .500 with very easy schedule. That's not good enough.

It's time to show your worth, Pete. As of right now you haven't been very impressive.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• If you guys start saying Petes on the hot seat im gonna lol
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:I see us as the 49ers of a few years ago . A team with a lot of talent that if they get a good coach will kick ass.

Hopefully Pete can succeed here but I am having my doubts.

Honestly, I am starting to have doubts about the players' talent level. While they may have physical talent their mental prowess is suspect.
    Last edited by v1rotv2 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• The combined record of those 4 teams under .500 is 15-25.

Simply unacceptable. Pete has to be better than that.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• Yes.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I think this team is too talented to lose this game. Place the blame where you want.

Some important questions needs be asked about the offensive gameplan to start the game. Questions need to be asked about untimely penalties and lapses.

I'm not calling for anyone's head, but there are visible, repeated shortcomings that are hard to excuse over and over again.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I'd say ask me at the end of next year. If we don't get double digit wins next year then i'd say yes and hello hot seat. I feel that there is no excuses to lose to these teams we've lost to this season after seeing us beat some of the best. I suggest the front office figures out a way to motivate this team like never before to finish this season strong and capitalize the rest of the season games with a W. The weak links need to be cut or moved to back up at years end. ( Tru, Hill ) This is going to be a interesting draft and im curious to see how this season plays out and who we should be looking at in this coming draft. It's just to bad we are having a roller coaster year like this but we have seen some good things and some not so good things. Im just happy it looks like we have are QB and RB of the future and a D that looks promising minus the brain farts. We have some nice tools but we are short acouple from a complete set. Now we just need to learn how to use them correctly. I will be a Seahawk Fan no matter whats happens but we are far over due and i think us 12's deserve better. Maybe we are the best player on this team come game day, to bad we can't all travel with team.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• endzorn wrote:I don't think youth can be used as an excuse because we have so much experience with our young guys. I think there is a fundamental problem with Pete's approach. When you play to keep games close then you will lose some games you have no business losing. I think we coach up the players, but we often approach the game itself the wrong way.

Great point. Pete seems to be content to play every game to come down to the last possession, then we will pull it out because we are 'Playing at a Championship Level because that's how we practice". How about being aggressive on the road, taking some chances, going on 4th and 1 [punting there is inexcusable].

I agree the mindset is not right here. On the road you have to be aggressive and go for the kill, not just be happy to be close at the end every time.

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

• I'm beginning to think he's very much average.

As for Harbaugh taking a talented team and making the what they should be in S.F.: I say, "maybe". And maybe the guy is just really way above average. I do know he's flat out owned Pete since his days at Stanford. At Stanford, he turned a downtrodden program into a powerhouse and by his last season blew by Pete and USC with nowhere near the advantages Pete had in Trojan Land. Stanford is still on top because of him as the players winning for them right now are players he recruited. Look, I can't stand the guy but the fact of the matter is he's head and shoulders above Pete right now and anything but average and that's what I want for the Seattle Seahawks.

As for playing not to lose, I absolutely despise it. Pete did that yesterday and we all saw it. You won't get to excellence if you don't reach for it.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: Is Pete Carroll just an average coach?
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am
  • As a talent evaluator, I think he is great. As an X's and O's and game manager, I think he is average at best. Seems like he needs superstar A++ coordinators to really succeed on game day.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Re: Is Pete Carroll just an average coach?
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 am
  • This teams plays down to it's opponent. There is no excuse for the way the defense played in the 4th quarter, they just plain stopped covering due to mental errors, the undisciplined play that results in a lot of penalties, and the unwillingness to open up the offense against a team weak against the pass. Pete has only shown the ability to put together a good team, but so far his coaching has left much to be desired.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information