Youth Is Wasted On The Young.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly believe this loss was on youth.

You can't seriously look me in the eye and tell me we lost because the Dolphins are a better football team. Nobody here buys that for a second.

Yes, this loss stings like a son of a bitch but that's because we have such potential and talent for such a young team.

Leon Washington, in the post game show was hinting to the fact that the team took the Dolphins lightly. They didn't expect much of a fight. They figured they could waltz on in to Miami and check off a "W" without too much pain and effort. I mean, it's the Dolphins, right??

Pete Carroll is right to question his preparations leading up to the game. He thought out loud that perhaps he underestimated how young his team really is to give them that amount of time off.

These players don't suddenly suck. No matter what it looks like on TV. No, these players (I am speaking generally here of course, yes I get that there were a few players that can be safely removed from this conversation) simply played down to their opponent and didn't expect the Dolphins to give them much trouble. Factor in a crowd with the enthusiasm of a High School chess match and it's not entirely unbelievable that this young team could be lulled to sleep without even realizing they were doing it.

TRUST ME. I'm NOT making excuses for that abomination. Bottom line is, we should have won that game and every human being on that plane flying back to Seattle knew it with every ounce of their Being.

No, this loss smacks to me of youth. These players didn't suddenly lose their talent. As much as we love to want to fire half the team and coaches after an upsetting loss, it's simply not the reality of the situation. If the Seahawks beat the Bears next Sunday (and if you've been a fan of this team longer than 10 minutes you know that is entirely probable) the vast majority of us will be back to our regularly scheduled programming of "Why We Love PC and JS and our talented young team!"

There's still SO much for us to be excited about, even though I concede the wound is too raw right now for me to get a collective "Amen Brother!" I get that.

I'm not trying to change anyone's minds about the loss on Sunday. Hell no. You have every stinkin' right to feel and post what you want (within the rules, smirk).

What I am trying to accomplish with this post is to consider what I personally believe is the most obvious factor in the loss.

This team -- as hauntingly good as they are at home -- are still just pups trying to find their way in this league.

As long as they use this loss as a learning lesson? I can accept it.

A victory next Sunday in Chicago would go a very long way in helping us all heal our wounds.

Reaction score
Good post Aros I agree but one of the problems are is Pete loves young players. He cuts vets for rooks. Good post tho.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe it was the swift kick in the ass we needed that sends us into high gear?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
True, he does covet thy rooks. However, I saw something in his eyes in that post game presser...When he admitted he underestimated the team's youth (in preparing properly for the Dolphins coming off the bye), that gives me hope that he won't ever make that same mistake again. Now how that translates in wins and losses the rest of his tenure here in Seattle is a book that has yet to be written, but I have got to believe he's going to start understanding the importance of a good mix of veteran leadership with the young talent even more than he ever has before.

I don't fault what he's built so far in three years. We all can agree there's been incredible progress, if not in the "W" then at least in the collective progress of the team as a whole.

If we end up 7-9 again this year, I will seriously be pissed off. In year three I expect nothing less than 9-7.

Let's see how this all pans out at the end of December. At some point, the "rooks" need to grow up and play big boy ball to match those big boy paychecks.

Reaction score
Aros":2zc71o3f said:

If we end up 7-9 again this year, I will seriously be pissed off. In year three I expect nothing less than 9-7.

Let's see how this all pans out at the end of December. At some point, the "rooks" need to grow up and play big boy ball to match those big boy paychecks.

I agree 100% At some point we have to understand that our team is what are record is nothing more nothing less. We will see how we end up. We got to bring it each and every game like are season is on the line.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The positive I take away is that our young leader obviously prepared, wanted it and showed up - time to follow RWs lead fellas.

The talent level of this team allows them to sleepwalk to one score road losses. Almost feel like if one of the early road losses was an absolute pummeling it may have proven advantagous long-term.

To be fair, I'm thinking every teams fan base but Atlanta has gone into "everything sucks" panic mode at some point this season (Pitt,GB tonight), (SF after NYG), (NE after us) (houston after GB) etc. This is a very reactionary week by week league.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
young? When will they be mature and try harder? They should be improving as the year goes on, gaining experience. Losing to the Lions and the Dolphins, in the fashion they did, does not indicate that they are learning and growing.

When does youth no longer suffice as an excuse?

Reaction score
Agree with you, Todd. Great post. We did a sleepwalk through almost the whole first half before there were signs of life.

On the plus side, RW just continues to grow, and he seemed to take the game very seriously. And I DO believe this team learns from mistakes and progresses.

Next year, I fully expect a Super Bowl run (not just a playoff run). This year, if we should lose Sherm and BB to suspension, we win two more games.

endzorn

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":og3u1nr5 said:
young? When will they be mature and try harder? They should be improving as the year goes on, gaining experience. Losing to the Lions and the Dolphins, in the fashion they did, does not indicate that they are learning and growing.

When does youth no longer suffice as an excuse?
Agree.

I'd be a little more willing to use youth as an excuse if we had lost in this fashion in a pressure filled game against a great offense. We just lost to a team with an abysmal offense in a dead quiet stadium in a low pressure environment. That's not youth...that's poor coaching.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":2aexfowe said:
True, he does covet thy rooks. However, I saw something in his eyes in that post game presser...When he admitted he underestimated the team's youth (in preparing properly for the Dolphins coming off the bye), that gives me hope that he won't ever make that same mistake again. Now how that translates in wins and losses the rest of his tenure here in Seattle is a book that has yet to be written, but I have got to believe he's going to start understanding the importance of a good mix of veteran leadership with the young talent even more than he ever has before.

I don't fault what he's built so far in three years. We all can agree there's been incredible progress, if not in the "W" then at least in the collective progress of the team as a whole.

To end up 7-9 after being 6-4 would be a HUGE collapse. There would definitely be some major changes coming if that happens. I also think we end up at least 9-7.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I can only hope this is (finally) the kick in the pants the defense needs. I don't have a ton of hope, but hey, a little hope is better than nothing.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
endzorn":er29mgya said:
I'd be a little more willing to use youth as an excuse if we had lost in this fashion in a pressure filled game against a great offense. We just lost to a team with an abysmal offense in a dead quiet stadium in a low pressure environment. That's not youth...that's poor coaching.

Actually, I think it's both in this case.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Here's the problem I have...

While I agree somewhat about the youth thing, I think it's becoming a convenient crutch for Pete. He brings it up a LOT.

And the problem with THAT is -- Pete and John have built the team young. They went with the youth movement, so it's on them.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They did say a 4 year plan all along, so with that paradigm, I'm willing to forgive one more season (2012) if we fall short of a 10+ win season.

Next year? In Year 4 of their 4 year plan? I expect greatness or PC's time should be over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Youth's a part of it, especially on defense. When the stress level get's raised in the 4th quarter, our defense devolves into mental lapse after mental lapse with getting out of position and dumb penalties.

But IMO the biggest reason we lost yesterday is scheme and in-game management. Wilson could have thrown for 350 yards yesterday. But no, Carroll and Bevell wanted to puff their chests out and continue to try and run the ball and trust their defense. Neither worked.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Aros":3t71h1ru said:
They did say a 4 year plan all along, so with that paradigm, I'm willing to forgive one more season (2012) if we fall short of a 10+ win season.

Next year? In Year 4 of their 4 year plan? I expect greatness or PC's time should be over.

I love it! Pete said 4 years when he got here.

When I get hired at my next job I'm gonna tell them 4 years for me to do well. That way when I am screwing the pooch three years in I got something to fall back on.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Aros":3pn2dvt2 said:

Or they say "now it's a 5-year plan". :mrgreen:

razgriz737

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18zq60tr said:
Youth's a part of it, especially on defense. When the stress level get's raised in the 4th quarter, our defense devolves into mental lapse after mental lapse with getting out of position and dumb penalties.

But IMO the biggest reason we lost yesterday is scheme and in-game management. Wilson could have thrown for 350 yards yesterday. But no, Carroll and Bevell wanted to puff their chests out and continue to try and run the ball and trust their defense. Neither worked.
I agree with the OP and this.

All year, it has seemed as though the coaches don't like to stick with what's working.

Latest posts