At what point does Pete Carroll hit the 'hot seat'..?

pinksheets

Reaction score
I didn't think we'd be 13-3, nor do I want to count on going undefeated at home and squeaking out 1 road game a year. Feeling like we have to chock up road games as losses is unacceptable. That needs to be fixed.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cesame":33vtgq2x said:
The 6-5 record is beyond underwhelming given the schedule they've had.

Before today's games, Seattle's strength of schedule was .500.

To compare...

Tampa Bay - 0.380
Minnesota - 0.465
Indianapolis - 0.430
Pittsburgh - 0.450
Chicago - 0.490
New York Giants - 0.455
Baltimore Ravens - 0.430
Atlanta - 0.380
Houston - 0.470

What were you saying about the schedule this year?

cesame

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":8ezcepr0 said:
cesame":8ezcepr0 said:
The 6-5 record is beyond underwhelming given the schedule they've had.

Before today's games, Seattle's strength of schedule was .500.

To compare...

Tampa Bay - 0.380
Minnesota - 0.465
Indianapolis - 0.430
Pittsburgh - 0.450
Chicago - 0.490
New York Giants - 0.455
Baltimore Ravens - 0.430
Atlanta - 0.380
Houston - 0.470

What were you saying about the schedule this year?

Nice try.

Seattle has played 11 games this year. The combined record of those 11 teams is 57-60. Seeing as how GB is getting blown out right now, it will probably be 57-61 after this week.

My original statement stands and it's back up by facts.

And you still can't defend 4 losses to teams under .500. 2 of those teams are 4-7, and the other is 4-6-1.

That's simply not getting the job done. Period.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cesame":2znnac2b said:
Nice try.

Seattle has played 11 games this year. The combined record of those 11 teams is 57-60. Seeing as how GB is getting blown out right now, it will probably be 57-61 after this week.

And it'll probably still be a tougher schedule than most of the other teams with a winning record.

The Seahawks have not had an easy schedule this year. That's the only 'fact' you need.

cesame

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1alt3p28 said:
cesame":1alt3p28 said:
Nice try.

And it'll probably still be a tougher schedule than most of the other teams with a winning record.

The Seahawks have not had an easy schedule this year. That's the only 'fact' you need.

Out of the 11 games the Seahawks have played this year, only 3 would currently make the playoffs.

Yes, I think it's been a rather nice schedule. A schedule Pete Carroll and the Seahawks haven't taken advantage of.

Smoke

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":72evfe08 said:
Ask yourselves this Seahawks fans....

Are you seeing the improvement in this team? Is this young team growing and learning how to win? Are they building on what they have learned this season and in seasons past?

This team is progressing. This team is way better than last year, and the 2010 squad. Your not actually using your eyes and thoughts in coordination if you think they are not progressing.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Smoke":1lxt903w said:
Tech Worlds":1lxt903w said:

Are you seeing the improvement in this team? Is this young team growing and learning how to win? Are they building on what they have learned this season and in seasons past?

This team is progressing. This team is way better than last year, and the 2010 squad. Your not actually using your eyes and thoughts in coordination if you think they are not progressing.

Yea as painful as this game was, I agree progress is being made albeit slow progress.

redeye81

Reaction score
I love me some PC but for some reason i can't get behind Bevel. He has called some good games but we play too conservative. i am so sick of the playing "not to lose" mentality. Even if Pete (being a defensive guy) requests that approach the offensive coordinator needs take charge and show why he has the job. Give the head coach some confidence in your plan. I personally don't believe Pete just wants a "YES man" at OC.

Smoke

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3ao7t3j7 said:
Smoke":3ao7t3j7 said:
Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

our foundation is there, our QB is there, our Oline is young and still learning to play together. Yeah, these loses hurt, but playing as young as we are with the veteran leadership being a 30 year old FullBack or a safety that is in his 3rd year, there are going to be games were we biff it hard do to lack of maturity as players. We are still green.

Calling for heads after each loss, or even calling this team mediocre means your are not paying attention, and certainly not using your God Given logic.

The bare cupboards thing is no longer valid, it's been 3 drafts and 3 free agencies since he got here. What more can we ask for? How about taking the next step. Only losers cherish losing by 3 points. A good loser is still a loser. It's a very small percentage of our group calling for heads to roll and neither am I, but I will say I am highly disappointed in Carroll's performance as well as that of the players. Hanging on to excuses that have little to no relevance to what is actually going I guess makes it easier to hide from it.

PC and the players do not deserve idol worship but some heat from the fans is due.

Atradees

Reaction score
I personally loved watching Wilson today. He made great plays with virtually no offensive line.

This line needs better players. Same as the d-line. Then it occurs to me that this is essentially the teams core or foundation.

Lets keep building because our QB is going to be awesome. He make throws running most QBs dont make.

candybars

Reaction score
Just because its not the norm that we win on the road...doesn't mean (and this is getting way ahead of ourselves) we can't go and string a few road wins together in the postseason. We don't know how this team would handle that pressure...they could thrive. You don't know.

Any Given Sunday.

We can't say "oh well let's not try for the playoffs because we can't win on the road"...that's garbage. Law of averages fellas...you never know when the abnormal is gonna make an appearance...its bound to happen.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":360abln9 said:

After today I see little evidence there is growth with the team as a whole. Obviously there is growth with a few players ie, RW. But I think the team has digressed. The penalties are back and the defense is getting run over as well as the secondary is being lit up. This looks just like the early stages of a team coming apart not coming together. Can PC turn it around? We'll see.

kearly

Reaction score
The Seahawks have gone from 30th or 31st in weighted DVOA to top 5 in just 3 years. As long as we are one of the best teams in the NFL, they have all the patience in the world from me.

There is no such thing as a clutch coach or a coach who could make us a 8-0 road team. The current Niners team is the only west coast team in recent memory to dominate on the road, and they are statistically the best team in the NFL over the last two seasons. Seattle is not a truly elite team yet like SF. They are close though. Seattle has played WAY better than their 1-5 road record. WAY better. I'm guessing that with average luck they've probably played at a 3-2 level, but for whatever reason they always find a way to lose in the 4th quarter. I don't think that's coaching. I think it's just shitty luck and nothing more.

To even post this topic is unseemly. Don't give stupid people bad ideas. But to answer the question, I wouldn't cast my vote against Carroll until it's clear that the game has passed him by and he's basically like an old Al Davis. That day will come eventually, but probably not for at least 10 years.

Smoke

Reaction score
kearly":1tedjm7j said:
The Seahawks have gone from 30th or 31st in weighted DVOA to top 5 in just 3 years. As long as we are one of the best teams in the NFL, they have all the patience in the world from me.

There is no such thing as a clutch coach or a coach who could make us a 8-0 road team. The current Niners team is the only west coast team in recent memory to dominate on the road, and they are statistically the best team in the NFL over the last two seasons. Seattle is not a truly elite team yet like SF. They are close though. Seattle has played WAY better than their 1-5 road record. WAY better. I'm guessing that with average luck they've probably played at a 3-2 level, but for whatever reason they always find a way to lose in the 4th quarter. I don't think that's coaching. I think it's just shitty luck and nothing more.

To even post this topic is unseemly. Don't give stupid people bad ideas. But to answer the question, I wouldn't cast my vote against Carroll until it's clear that the game has passed him by and he's basically like an old Al Davis. That day will come eventually, but probably not for at least 10 years.

Amen

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":3hy9vraz said:

The top teams in the NFL do not lose to the Cardinals, Rams and Dolphins on the road.

I don't know where in DVOA that comes into play.

I see what English is saying, but we're nowhere near that Giants team from a year ago right now. For one, that Giants team was actually better on the road than they were at home.

redeye81

Reaction score
Before Paul Allen fires Pete we'll see a coordinator fired. My guess is Bevel is gone after this year. Two years now and we are still very subpar on offense.

Reaction score
I dont know man im sick of rebuilding all the time around here lately. Pete is a hell of a coach man. He is almost a defensive genius when it comes to linebackers and the secondary. But he has to look at him self in the mirror and think about the offensive side of the ball. Its ok to have a power run game if your winning. He has to open the offense more. We will see how we finish up. But if we are .500 this year and with his past records thats not going to cut it. If we end up .500 or worse I would give him one or two years and then he could go coach boston college or something.

HawkHack

Reaction score
kearly":1f3o4q6b said:
I'm guessing that with average luck they've probably played at a 3-2 level, but for whatever reason they always find a way to lose in the 4th quarter. I don't think that's coaching. I think it's just shitty luck and nothing more.

Agreed.

The reason the NFL is "Any Given Sunday" is because many games hinge on literally a handful of critical plays. In a close game, those debatable penalties, and those astounding catches, and those unlikely plays make all the difference. If ET hadn't gotten that PF on that interception, does anyone think that wouldn't have made a difference? The Dolphins scored a TD one play later, instead of the Seahawks having the ball.

If RW had escaped in that last play of the Seahawks' last possession, and hit a guy downfield, taking us in FG range ... does anything think that might have made a difference in the outcome? RW did exactly that for much of the game ... just not that last time.

Does anyone really remember 2005? I remember a lot of nail-biters, many of which were won by 50+-yard FGs by Josh Brown. I remember the Giants coming in and improbably missing not one, not two, but THREE FGs which would have won it for them.

And of course, I remember a very improbable Super Bowl that year, where the better team lost.* It happens.

The goal, in the NFL, is to be IN the games, and to hope that you can be the beneficiary of a few improbable plays. Talent helps -- no doubt. But sometimes the ball bounces your way, and sometimes it doesn't. Undefeated teams lose to cellar dwellers. Referees decide games they shouldn't.

We're IN the games, folks. We just aren't quite getting it done.

* This is the Asterisk that Requires No Explanation.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
v1rotv2":wwktlq0v said:
After today I see little evidence there is growth with the team as a whole. Obviously there is growth with a few players ie, RW. But I think the team has digressed. The penalties are back and the defense is getting run over as well as the secondary is being lit up. This looks just like the early stages of a team coming apart not coming together. Can PC turn it around? We'll see.

No growth? How about this time last year we'd just gone 4-7 after a home defeat to Rex Grossman's Washington Redskins. We're 6-5, not 2-9. We're STILL in position to get a wildcard. We have one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. Can PC turn what around? The Miami game was a bad defeat. If we'd won, everybody would be on here today declaring how we could make a run in the post season. The hysterical response to this latest game is mind numbingly stupid.