At what point does Pete Carroll hit the 'hot seat'..?

cesame

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3knhrp9e said:
NFSeahawks628":3knhrp9e said:
Playing close games doesn't matter, wins do.

You're right.

And we have six wins, which right now puts us in pole position for the post season via wildcard.

cesame":3knhrp9e said:
He has lost 4 games to teams under .500 this year. That is unacceptable with the team he has.

You mean the team he created?

So John Schneider gets no credit now?

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Only good thing about this loss was it was out of conference.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3ubq1nd7 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3ubq1nd7 said:
Pete will be on the hot seat after next season if, as is nearly always the case with this franchise, they finish the usual 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.

What if 9-7 = the post season?

Will he be on the hot seat then?

Remind me... what record did New York finish with last year before winning the Super Bowl?
It's rare and you know that Rob. I for one want better so the Hawks get home games in the playoffs. To answer your question though, no, I don't think Allen makes a move if they're 9-7, playoffs or not.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The one and only concern I have with Carroll is that offensively he seems to play not to lose, rather then play to win. I wish he would show more confidence in the players that he brought in and coached up. Hopefully that will happen next year when he no longer has a rookie quarterback.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1px30n4l said:
NFSeahawks628":1px30n4l said:
Playing close games doesn't matter, wins do.

You're right.

And we have six wins, which right now puts us in pole position for the post season via wildcard.

cesame":1px30n4l said:
He has lost 4 games to teams under .500 this year. That is unacceptable with the team he has.

You mean the team he created?

We would be out of the playoffs if they started today, if I understood the tie-breaking procedures correctly.

If you can't get up for a road game and win a few you won't be around long in the playoffs, it's simple really.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2dptz9je said:
The one and only concern I have with Carroll is that offensively he seems to play not to lose, rather then play to win. I wish he would show more confidence in the players that he brought in and coached up. Hopefully that will happen next year when he no longer has a rookie quarterback.
He no longer has a rookie QB J. Wilson's already past the rookie stage and if I can see it, Pete should be able to as well. Dude progresses through his reads like a 6 year vet and when was the last time he made a poor decision? He makes physical mistakes now and then (poor throws) but he hasn't made a mental mistake in the last 3 or 4 games that I can recall. I thought they should've thrown the hell out of the ball today to loosen up the Phins' defense. That goes along with what you said to be sure.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3m2yd0ps said:
JSeahawks":3m2yd0ps said:
He no longer has a rookie QB J. Wilson's already past the rookie stage and if I can see it, Pete should be able to as well. Dude progresses through his reads like a 6 year vet and when was the last time he made a poor decision? He makes physical mistakes now and then (poor throws) but he hasn't made a mental mistake in the last 3 or 4 games that I can recall. I thought they should've thrown the hell out of the ball today to loosen up the Phins' defense. That goes along with what you said to be sure.

Actually I thought he made a crucial rookie mistake today. Should have thrown the ball into the dirt on that blown screen to Lynch instead of actually completing the pass. That cost us some critical yards. But overall, I agree that he doesnt play like a rookie.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":r1r74xat said:
JSeahawks":r1r74xat said:

The quicker they let RW throw the ball out the better, guy is special. Still too much safety pin diaper offense.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Smoke":199wm11b said:
Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

our foundation is there, our QB is there, our Oline is young and still learning to play together. Yeah, these loses hurt, but playing as young as we are with the veteran leadership being a 30 year old FullBack or a safety that is in his 3rd year, there are going to be games were we biff it hard do to lack of maturity as players. We are still green.

Calling for heads after each loss, or even calling this team mediocre means your are not paying attention, and certainly not using your God Given logic.

The bare cupboards thing is no longer valid, it's been 3 drafts and 3 free agencies since he got here. What more can we ask for? How about taking the next step. Only losers cherish losing by 3 points. A good loser is still a loser. It's a very small percentage of our group calling for heads to roll and neither am I, but I will say I am highly disappointed in Carroll's performance as well as that of the players. Hanging on to excuses that have little to no relevance to what is actually going I guess makes it easier to hide from it.

PC and the players do not deserve idol worship but some heat from the fans is due.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":305io6r1 said:
hawksfansinceday1":305io6r1 said:
JSeahawks":305io6r1 said:

Actually I thought he made a crucial rookie mistake today. Should have thrown the ball into the dirt on that blown screen to Lynch instead of actually completing the pass. That cost us some critical yards. But overall, I agree that he doesnt play like a rookie.
Yeah, I'll give you that one. He'll learn from trying to do too much when nothing's there though. Expect that's something we'll hardly ever see from him again considering how quickly he's progressed this year.

cesame

Reaction score
Idk how anyone can be overly satisfied with the job Pete has done this year.

4 losses against teams under .500

In 3 of those losses the team had the lead late but Carroll's defense surrendered game-winning drives

It has to change.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":1s2e5e21 said:
I agree with your points, but I guess the question is, at what point do all the great personnel moves, great statement wins, and the team being "better" than they've been not outweigh compiling a legitimate winning season, which will mean finally improving their road woes, and a playoff berth? Next year? Fair or not, that time is coming.

Here are the teams who won ten or more games last season:

New England (13-3)
Baltimore (12-4)
Pittsburgh (12-4)
Houston (10-6)
Green Bay (15-1)
Detroit (10-6)
New Orleans (13-3)
Atlanta (10-6)
San Francisco (13-3)

Guess what? Super Bowl winners not included on that list.

I mean, how do you define a 'legitimate winning season'? Green Bay almost had a perfect season, and lost to a 9-7 team at home in the playoffs. Carroll's memo has to be to show gradual progression, building towards being a regular contender. To put a competitive team on the field. That's all you can ask for in the NFL, to be competitive. We might be 9-7 for the next three years. We might also make the post season for the next three years. What's a legitimate winning season?

Let's use some common sense here. This team has just identified a young, potential franchise quarterback. We have one of the youngest rosters in the league. The team is still growing and the current front office and staff have done a heck of a job. We're also competing in a newly competitive NFC West which just so happens to now include a red hot 49ers team. And yet we're still in position, as things stand, to make the post season for the second time in three years.

This team would have to regress big time next year... like 3-5 wins regression... for Carroll to be on the hot seat. If this team continues on the current path, the only people putting him on the hot seat will be people frequenting an internet message board who really should know better.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Ask yourselves this Seahawks fans....

Are you seeing the improvement in this team? Is this young team growing and learning how to win? Are they building on what they have learned this season and in seasons past?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":obh4g1la said:
It's rare and you know that Rob. I for one want better so the Hawks get home games in the playoffs. To answer your question though, no, I don't think Allen makes a move if they're 9-7, playoffs or not.

New York won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. Green Bay won it in 2011 as a wildcard with a 10-6 record. The Cardinals made the Super Bowl in 2009 with a 9-7 record.

If you're regularly winning 9-10 games a season, you have a decent shot at making the post season. And once you get there, anything can happen.

cesame":obh4g1la said:

In 3 of those losses the team had the lead late but Carroll's defense surrendered game-winning drives

It has to change.

Yeah... forget the six wins - some of which have been damn impressive... let's concentrate on those four close losses.

I need to get out of this thread.

jamsomatic

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1tjq73r5 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1tjq73r5 said:

New York won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. Green Bay won it in 2011 as a wildcard with a 10-6 record. The Cardinals made the Super Bowl in 2009 with a 9-7 record.

If you're regularly winning 9-10 games a season, you have a decent shot at making the post season. And once you get there, anything can happen.

But... Seattle doesn't win on the road. Therefore they need home playoff games. Therefore they need a great regular season record. Therefore they need to win on the road. Therefore we're screwed.

JKent82

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":220ttuqn said:
Ask yourselves this Seahawks fans....

Are you seeing the improvement in this team? Is this young team growing and learning how to win? Are they building on what they have learned this season and in seasons past?

I think they are from last year. Looking at the beginning of this year to now the defense is playing worse and the offense (Russell Wilson) is playing better.

They are going through adversity. This sucks but I still think we'll be alright. Pete's not on the hotseat now for me. Next year he's definitely under evaluation. We have to fill some holes for sure. Defensive middle, another LB, a nickel. It's clearly a very serious issue at this point. Teams are exploiting it every week now when we are not at home with the noise.

cesame

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3a9p69ft said:
hawksfansinceday1":3a9p69ft said:

cesame":3a9p69ft said:

It has to change.

Yeah... forget the six wins - some of which have been damn impressive... let's concentrate on those four close losses.

I need to get out of this thread.

You mean the 2 quality wins out of 6 that they have? With 1 of them being gifted to them?

The 6-5 record is beyond underwhelming given the schedule they've had.

Tical21

Reaction score
HEllooooooooo!! They've got a rookie QB. A 3rd round rookie QB. Did any of you expect 13-3? What the F is wrong with you people? Big picture for two minutes folks. My goodness.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Tical21":3tjvx5hs said:
HEllooooooooo!! They've got a rookie QB. A 3rd round rookie QB. Did any of you expect 13-3? What the F is wrong with you people? Big picture for two minutes folks. My goodness.

Are you okay?

cesame

Reaction score
Tical21":336njulz said:

What does a rookie QB have to do with the defense blowing leads in the 4th?