Would 8-8 be acceptable for this team?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1b5q0pun said:
Tech Worlds":1b5q0pun said:
You mean you are now admitting that this defense isn't all that? When I said it after the lions game you and the think tank told me that it was a great game by the lions elite offense and that our defense was still dominant.

Who is this even addressed to? I don't remember passing any comment on that Lions game.

And I'm sure the 'think tank' will remember this next time the oracle speaks.

Selective memory.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
amill87":h0x4lvar said:
Not in any way would it be acceptable.

This is a talented team.

We are top 5 in multiple statistics on defense.

Our RB has over 1000 yards already

Our rookie QB may be pressuring the rookie QB passing TD record

The reason we have 5 losses? Because this team has mental break downs over and over. Missed assignments, dropped balls, bad play calling at crucial times, missed tackles, penalties, you name the mental lapse and we have done it in our losses. There is no good reason why we have this many losses, we should be much better than this.

Agreed with the mental lapses part. Some of those lapses could be attributed to young players - especially young LBers who need further seasoning. But yeah, in the end, that's on the coaching staff. And if the team has an off day, those lapses get magnified... I think that's what happened today. It's frustrating, because I don't think it's outrageous to suggest that we can see what kind of team this CAN be... it CAN be dominant if only they could improve execution and show some consistency - both in the way they perform on the field and the way the coaches call the game.

pehawk

Reaction score
Oh, 8-8 would only be acceptable in Seattle. You'd deservedly get shanked if that was spouted in older football towns.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't know about English but there was a lot of that BS flying around after the Lions game about how they were so much better than their putrid record and how any defense would have been helpless against the onslaught of that mighty, mighty, O, and that we just ran into a buzzsaw.

A lot of it.

m0ng0

Reaction score
We will beat Arizona, St Louis and Buffalo....9-7 is about right.

If we go 8-8 that would indeed be a disappointment.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":23cth6vy said:
theENGLISHseahawk":23cth6vy said:
Tech Worlds":23cth6vy said:
You mean you are now admitting that this defense isn't all that? When I said it after the lions game you and the think tank told me that it was a great game by the lions elite offense and that our defense was still dominant.

Who is this even addressed to? I don't remember passing any comment on that Lions game.

And I'm sure the 'think tank' will remember this next time the oracle speaks.

Selective memory.

I don't think so pal. I was working at the Pats/Rams Wembley bore-fest on the night of the Lions game, got home at about 2am and had to be up at 6am. Understandably, I didn't game post anything on that particular game other than to say a few days later... "You know... the Lions aren't a bad team." Which they aren't.

But hey, you said something which came to prominence a few weeks later. If only we'd all listened, perhaps we'd all be super-smart like you?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
m0ng0":pu0hliq9 said:

Two teams that beat us and a road game? I won't take any game for granted at this point

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1si7dhhy said:
m0ng0":1si7dhhy said:

Two teams that beat us and a road game? I won't take any game for granted at this point

Gotta ask...

People look at the trends and justifiably say, "I won't believe the Hawks can win on the road until they do so."

But at the same time, many of those same people refuse to say, "I won't believe the Hawks can LOSE at home until they do so."

Why is that? :|

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1o7s8fl5 said:
Coug_Hawk08":1o7s8fl5 said:
m0ng0":1o7s8fl5 said:

Gotta ask...

People look at the trends and justifiably say, "I won't believe the Hawks can win on the road until they do so."

But at the same time, many of those same people refuse to say, "I won't believe the Hawks can LOSE at home until they do so."

Because we play much better at home....and find a way to win.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1nkj4fco said:
volsunghawk":1nkj4fco said:
Coug_Hawk08":1nkj4fco said:

Gotta ask...

Because we play much better at home....and find a way to win.

No, I agree with that. In fact, it seems like we are a completely different team at home.

I just wonder why it seems that some folks who automatically assume losses on the road based on this year's performances don't also automatically assume wins at home based on this year's performances.

They extrapolate poor play on the road to games at home, but don't extrapolate good play at home to road games. It's just a strange inconsistency, I suppose.

I think - based on the way we've played this year - that we should win our remaining home games. Yeah, the SF game is likely to be very difficult, but when teams of St. Louis and Arizona's caliber have come to Seattle this season, the Seahawks have handled them. On the flipside, I think that both of the remaining road games are likely to be losses unless something changes. They'd probably be very CLOSE losses, but until the team proves it can carry the fire with which it plays at home over to road games, I still expect them to be losses.

Of course, this team has also been screwing with people's expectations all year (both good and bad), so who knows what will happen?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
First, this question probably should've been posed tomorrow when people aren't as up in arms.

For me, it's a failure because we'll have failed out on the 'easiest' part of our schedule, and 10-6 is still doable. I dunno, anything can happen, but the margin is definitely razor thin at the moment.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
We have 5 losses right now.

As of this moment, 11-5 is acceptable.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I'm no longer sure which team will actually show up on game day any more. The one that beat GB & NE against all odds? The one that misfired at the death against the Lions? Or the team from today?

So 8-8 out of a team that seems to have lost all sense of its identity, and with it a sense of direction?

Maybe?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":s94g0lbo said:
If we fail to win 10 games this year Pete Carroll's job should be on the line next year. It will be win or get out.
I love Pete Carroll, and I agree with this.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3qbw6xx4 said:
Tech Worlds":3qbw6xx4 said:
If we fail to win 10 games this year Pete Carroll's job should be on the line next year. It will be win or get out.
I love Pete Carroll, and I agree with this.

I love Pete too and God do I want him to succeed.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":14p8izym said:
Is it acceptable to be one win better off than 2010 and 2011? Would it be considered a failure this year? Or would you see it as progress, however minor?

I predicted 8-8 at the end of the preseason, no more, no less.

Anything less is a failure.

8-8 is slight if ever progress.

9-7 or better significant progress.

But it's all here say, team defense concerns me. :(

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
amill87":n9p0z70z said:
Not in any way would it be acceptable.

We are top 5 in multiple statistics on defense.

That meant a lot today. :34853_doh: