Seahawks Mythbusters: Play-calling

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
On first down, Seattle passed 33% of the time today (7 out of 21 attempts).

On second down, Seattle passed a whopping 74% of the time (14 out of 19 attempts), including both of Seattle's passing touchdowns.

The run-run-pass combination occurred exactly twice in the entire game.

I'm not exactly fully pleased with the play-calling - I think they tried too many short passes early in an attempt to open up the deep ball, and I'm tired of the endless empty backfield on 3rd and short. But I find it hard to take calls for Bevell's head seriously when his critics aren't even remembering what plays were called correctly.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Haters gonna hate...and see what they want regardless of reality.

pehawk

Reaction score
The only plays that made me question him today, we're the bubble screens. He has an amazing knack for running a screen at the perfect time, just the wrong type of screen.

Uggh, this loss makes me sick. Just go get it, for krist sake. I'll take my chances with Wilson anytime, anyplace if they get in.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
It seems to me that the Bevell critics (of which I am one, I suppose) are usually more upset about the plays that aren't called.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Anyone complaining about 'pass-pass-run' today is just looking for an easy moan. However, the overly conservative play calling on the final drive is cause for serious complaint.

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
It's almost always about execution. The only call I had serious issue with was the screen to Lynch at the end of the game. Screens are usually boom or bust and you can't afford to have a negative play there. I would've preferred letting Wilson throw down the field or even 2 more running plays and a long FG attempt. Instead, we got no FG attempt and with our defense I knew then and there the game was over.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":225n3833 said:
Anyone complaining about 'pass-pass-run' today is just looking for an easy moan. However, the overly conservative play calling on the final drive is cause for serious complaint.

I'll agree with you there. I find it hard to believe that a coach with the nickname "Big Balls" is being this conservative at crucial moments.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Wilson was throwing the ball very well, yet they got caught up in running the clock down and trying to run the ball when it hadn't worked all day. Funnily enough, they'd have been better off throwing three times and risking the quick three and out. At least there would've been enough time for a response if Miami scored.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The 2nd or 3rd series wr screen/wr screen/draw pissed me off. Even though passes were called, it did feel like training wheels were on early in the game.

But--I think more of this failure was a lack of preparation and focus. This team came out so flat on offense. It's inexcusable to have such ugly disparity in your road starts and home starts (and record).

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
pehawk":3j5h8e20 said:
Uggh, this loss makes me sick. Just go get it, for krist sake. I'll take my chances with Wilson anytime, anyplace if they get in.

My thoughts exactly. Let's see some clawing and scratching for 1st downs. Some bullets into the middle of the field. Some power formations and takin' it to 'em! That's the direction I thought we'd been heading the past few games.

kearly

Reaction score
Lost in the excruciating pain of this loss: Seattle has become deadly efficient in the red zone. Including today.

As far as the playcalling, I thought it was pretty good today. The last drive was actually pretty good, they moved the ball about 50 yards on that drive before suffering 3 bad plays in a row in the final series. If I blame anyone, I blame Wilson for throwing that pass to Lynch. I think he knew even as he threw it that he was making a horrible mistake. And Wilson had a great game, so I'd rather not blame anyone. Really, isn't it strange how complaints about playcalling seem to be 10 times more prevalent when following a loss? Even a loss (like this one) that was clearly on the defense? Occasionally playcalling complaints truly are warranted, but most of the time it's just reactionary results based bullshit. Sorry, but it's true.

Also, Miami's defense deserves a TON of credit. They killed our running game and that's an very rare event. Without the running game, this offense just isn't the same.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":1txyekt8 said:
Lost in the excruciating pain of this loss: Seattle has become deadly efficient in the red zone. Including today.
...and less than efficient at getting there.

:|

kearly

Reaction score
I blame the defense for that. Just one turnover. Although it should have been two. Also, this wasn't a long game. Both teams ran the ball often and there weren't a ton of incomplete passes either. Those combined to "shorten the game" quite a bit. Given those circumstances, two red zone trips isn't bad. Although it did suck royally watching Seattle get jammed between the 35-50 three different times. Especially in such a tight game.

Sac

Reaction score
What I'm pissed about is running right at the strength of their D instead of some zone stretch plays thrown in. I'm also pissed about taking the ball out of RW's hands when he was hot.

JKent82

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1qed2cu1 said:
What I'm pissed about is running right at the strength of their D instead of some zone stretch plays thrown in. I'm also pissed about taking the ball out of RW's hands when he was hot.

Yep. I was glad Bevell didn't go one dimensional and kept pushing the run. But they should have down a lot more outside type stuff or quick hitters or something.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1naj6sd3 said:
Wilson was throwing the ball very well, yet they got caught up in running the clock down and trying to run the ball when it hadn't worked all day. Funnily enough, they'd have been better off throwing three times and risking the quick three and out. At least there would've been enough time for a response if Miami scored.

Ding ding ding ding ding, we've got a winner. Wilson has proven he has a good chance of running a pass-first quick offense in a situation like this, and we sit and try to run, despite failing at it ALL DAY.

It seems like Bevell is just in over his head? I don't know.