Is Pete Carroll just an average coach?

pehawk

Reaction score
endzorn":3eb60r4q said:
I don't think youth can be used as an excuse because we have so much experience with our young guys. I think there is a fundamental problem with Pete's approach. When you play to keep games close then you will lose some games you have no business losing. I think we coach up the players, but we often approach the game itself the wrong way.

Exactly. The Jim Boheim factor. Ever notice Syracuse ALWAYS lost to a #15 or something in the tourney? Well, Jimmy never ditched this zone. So, in effect, they never won BECAUSE of their physical talent.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
The Seahawks have 4 losses this year to teams under .500.

Completely unacceptable. Pete Carroll is a game over .500 with very easy schedule. That's not good enough.

It's time to show your worth, Pete. As of right now you haven't been very impressive.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":j0klehwb said:
I see us as the 49ers of a few years ago . A team with a lot of talent that if they get a good coach will kick ass.

Hopefully Pete can succeed here but I am having my doubts.

Honestly, I am starting to have doubts about the players' talent level. While they may have physical talent their mental prowess is suspect.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
The combined record of those 4 teams under .500 is 15-25.

Simply unacceptable. Pete has to be better than that.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think this team is too talented to lose this game. Place the blame where you want.

Some important questions needs be asked about the offensive gameplan to start the game. Questions need to be asked about untimely penalties and lapses.

I'm not calling for anyone's head, but there are visible, repeated shortcomings that are hard to excuse over and over again.

garydrake425

Reaction score
I'd say ask me at the end of next year. If we don't get double digit wins next year then i'd say yes and hello hot seat. I feel that there is no excuses to lose to these teams we've lost to this season after seeing us beat some of the best. I suggest the front office figures out a way to motivate this team like never before to finish this season strong and capitalize the rest of the season games with a W. The weak links need to be cut or moved to back up at years end. ( Tru, Hill ) This is going to be a interesting draft and im curious to see how this season plays out and who we should be looking at in this coming draft. It's just to bad we are having a roller coaster year like this but we have seen some good things and some not so good things. Im just happy it looks like we have are QB and RB of the future and a D that looks promising minus the brain farts. We have some nice tools but we are short acouple from a complete set. Now we just need to learn how to use them correctly. I will be a Seahawk Fan no matter whats happens but we are far over due and i think us 12's deserve better. Maybe we are the best player on this team come game day, to bad we can't all travel with team.

JonRud

Reaction score
endzorn":2ewqbmj8 said:
I don't think youth can be used as an excuse because we have so much experience with our young guys. I think there is a fundamental problem with Pete's approach. When you play to keep games close then you will lose some games you have no business losing. I think we coach up the players, but we often approach the game itself the wrong way.

Great point. Pete seems to be content to play every game to come down to the last possession, then we will pull it out because we are 'Playing at a Championship Level because that's how we practice". How about being aggressive on the road, taking some chances, going on 4th and 1 [punting there is inexcusable].

I agree the mindset is not right here. On the road you have to be aggressive and go for the kill, not just be happy to be close at the end every time.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think he's very much average.

As for Harbaugh taking a talented team and making the what they should be in S.F.: I say, "maybe". And maybe the guy is just really way above average. I do know he's flat out owned Pete since his days at Stanford. At Stanford, he turned a downtrodden program into a powerhouse and by his last season blew by Pete and USC with nowhere near the advantages Pete had in Trojan Land. Stanford is still on top because of him as the players winning for them right now are players he recruited. Look, I can't stand the guy but the fact of the matter is he's head and shoulders above Pete right now and anything but average and that's what I want for the Seattle Seahawks.

As for playing not to lose, I absolutely despise it. Pete did that yesterday and we all saw it. You won't get to excellence if you don't reach for it.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
As a talent evaluator, I think he is great. As an X's and O's and game manager, I think he is average at best. Seems like he needs superstar A++ coordinators to really succeed on game day.

razor150

Reaction score
This teams plays down to it's opponent. There is no excuse for the way the defense played in the 4th quarter, they just plain stopped covering due to mental errors, the undisciplined play that results in a lot of penalties, and the unwillingness to open up the offense against a team weak against the pass. Pete has only shown the ability to put together a good team, but so far his coaching has left much to be desired.