The topic of the forgotten Seahawk

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
The topic of the forgotten Seahawk
Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am
  • Everybody has had a "Favorite player" that wasn't the best on the team, but maybe he signed an autograph for you, or you grew up in the same town, or he wore the same number you did, or just something. Many of these guys go forgotten and ride off into the sunset.

I figured guys have covered all of the "terrible" Seahawks this past week. Let's give some love to the unsung Hawk Heroes. Those that others may have forgotten, but to you were awesome, and tell us why you liked them, and what era they played. I think it might help some of the younger crew learn about some of the lunchpail players of the earlier days of the team.

I think I'm going to start with a guy who wasn't my 100% all-time favorite, but is an example of the type of guy I'm talking about. I'm going with Edwin Bailey. Edwin was a solid as a rock guard for the Hawks throughout the 80's. I knew one thing.... on Sundays... Edwin would be lined up and would be lined up right, wouldn't make mental errors, and would clear lanes for his running backs. The Hawks lost Curt Warner one game into his second season and Edwin and the gang just kept on trucking clearing holes for the 3 different running backs they used and the team still was up around 1,000 yards rushing with their entire running game apparently destroyed on day 1. Edwin and the others went out and did their job and played hard and won a lot of games during that good era in the mid 80's.

I always liked him because he was a quiet leader. My dad talked to me about how certain guys lead more by example than in being big mouths. I was having problems on my sports teams, because I was quiet and immensely focused. But coaches seemed to noticed the big mouths more. My dad told me to stay the way I am and don't be who I am not. Just play and let my play do the talking. That's what I did and the bigmouths control over things sort of faded. Production was what mattered. I saw Edwin produce every week and do his job very well. That was the kind of man I wanted to be on the field. The guy everybody respected and the guy who did his work and went home knowing he'd done his best.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Re: The topic of the forgotten Seahawk
Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 am
  • There are many we could choose, of course. Like you, I am going with a guard -- Bryan Millard, the other #71. He played with a lot of emotion and attitude. He would pancake-block someone just because he could. And he had a way with words. I forget the exact quote, but he said something one time to the effect of, "I'd rather be trapped in a phone booth with a tomcat with his tail on fire than get tackled by Fredd Young."
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 am
  • No one has been able to dislodge Kenny Easley as my favorite player. At the same time though Jacob Green, Joe Nash and Jeff Bryant carved a special place in my heart. While Green made the ring of honor, I don't think he'd be there without the other two. That was one very special unit, but I always felt Nash was the one that anchored it, was the heart of it. I loved how he played, just a relentless hard nosed football player.
    Downright thuggish.
    Blitzfan
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:26 am
  • Fredd Young.

There was only one store in Albuquerque that sold a decent selection of anything Seahawk related, so I saved up a bunch of money to buy some SOMETHING Seahawks. I walked in to the store and went around picking up Seahawks stuff. I had enough for a jersey, but wanted more than just one item. I found several T-shirts and a really cool sweatshirt and a couple hats, I even got a Seahawk helmet alarm clock. Well, when I went up to pay for all these things and there were two guys at the counter. One of them had his back to me and the other just looked at the items I had put on the counter and laughed. The one laughing started hitting the other guy on the arm and said "you gotta see this". The guy turned around and laughed too, the guy was Fredd Young.

I guess, prior to me walking in to the store, the two had had a conversation about how many Seahawks items were available in the store and how much Seahawks stuff the guy actually sold in Albuquerque of all places. The shop owner had told him that he sold a lot of Seahawk gear and that there weren't too many days when he didn't sell something Seahawks related. Fredd didn't believe it and had told his buddy that if anyone came in and bought anything with a Seahawk logo on it while he was in the store, that he would pay for it... My lucky day!!!

I had to pass a test that consisted of several questions about the team and about me knowing that he was going to be in the store prior to coming in that day... I passed. I think I named every starter on both sides of the ball and their positions. I even knew the answer to the "do you know who I am?" question.

Anyway, Fredd paid for all the Seahawk gear I had put up on that counter. I thought he was kidding when he said he'd pay for it, but sure enough, he paid.

I made it about 5 steps out the door and realized that I still had enough money to get the Seahawk jersey that I had my eye on and marched right back in and grabbed it. I took it to the counter and the two started laughing again. I left the store with all the Seahawks stuff I wanted, a #50 jersey, and a story about the guy who actually wore the #50 Seahawk jersey on the field.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:27 am
  • Leonard Weaver. Loved his pregame energy and connection with the fans
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 am
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:57 am
  • John L. will always be one of my favorite Hawks. I used to argue with kids at school that he was better than Thurman Thomas. Still believe it. :D
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 am
  • Edwin Bailey...Well played, OP, well played.

I can think of more than a few but I will go with Jeff Feagles.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:39 am
  • Itula Mili
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:54 am
  • Rashad "Booger" Moore was the guy who no one will truly remember that I enjoyed watching. He simply did not have the physical tools to last long in the league, which is why he went in the sixth round, but he was fun to watch.
    FIRE CABLE!
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:13 am
  • Dan Doornink.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:23 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Dan Doornink.

:13:
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:23 am
  • Easley, Rogers (KR), Rocky Bernard, Michael Jackson, Michael Bates, Dan Doornink, and Dave Brown all spring to mind.

But I absolutely loved Chris Warren. The best 1,000 yard rusher that nobody outside of 'Hawk nation ever heard of.
    "Anybody can be a Seahawks fan in Seattle. Try being one in Pittsburgh!" PROUDLY REPRESENTING SINCE 1976.
    osprey6
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:39 am
  • What's his name will always be my favorite :mrgreen:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:54 am
  • I've banged the drum for years that people just don't remember the greatness that was Eugene Robinson. He was the quarterback of all the really good defensive teams in the early 90s. He could hit, cover and had real ball skills. A complete safety and probably one of the smartest Seahawks ever. Sadly, people now remember him more for things post-Seahawk career (which admittedly, wasn't very smart).
    * NET Staff *

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:56 am
  • Charlie Rogers
    Darrell Jackson
    Isaiah Kacyvenski (met him at an airport his rookie year, I was like 14 at the time haha. He was blown away that somebody recognized him. Really nice guy.)
    Niko Koutouvides
    Rocky Bernard
    Anthony Simmons (I thought he was going to be so good)
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 am
  • You're just showing off that you could spell "Koutouvides" without looking it up.
    * NET Staff *

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 am
  • I actually had to look up both him and Isaiah haha
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:35 am
  • Jerheme Urban

I dont know why, but i always thought i saw something special in him, sorta like how some saw something special in Wes Welker when he was in Miami.
    anyway I saw his first and only TD as a hawk live, it was awesome. also got 2 autograph gloves from him. wish he had more success.
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 am
  • zhawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Dan Doornink.

:13:

+2 cuz he was from Eastern Washington (Wapato....near Yakima for those that don't know) as am I (I'm from Spokane). Also Michael Jackson (Pasco) LB, Ron Howard (Pasco) TE and John Yarno (Spokane) OT (I think).
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 am
  • Mack Strong
    halps80
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 am
  • Shaun Alexander. No one talks about how good he was--it was the offense, or the line, that made him great. Hogwash. He was a great RB!

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 am
  • Sorry, but a lot of those names are hardly "forgotten."

I would go with someone who is less popular than many of those names and say Chris Gray. Talk about your lunch pail kind of guy, he was routinely lambasted around here as a waste, but all he did was start for more consecutive games than anybody in team history IIRC. He played guard, center, and guard, and switched between them with no complaints or drop in play.

Had a great sense of humor, too. Who could forget the tape outline he layed out on the practice field for that block he layed? :)
    Last edited by sutz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:38 am
  • Darryl Williams. I will remember the following hit until the day I die:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/pUtnL-O4iNw

He was only a Seahawk for about half his career (wedged between two stings with the Bengals) but the dude was a psycho at FS. He also holds the record for consecutive starts at that position.

Thus the crappy avatar.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 am
  • rideaducati wrote:Fredd Young.

There was only one store in Albuquerque that sold a decent selection of anything Seahawk related, so I saved up a bunch of money to buy some SOMETHING Seahawks. I walked in to the store and went around picking up Seahawks stuff. I had enough for a jersey, but wanted more than just one item. I found several T-shirts and a really cool sweatshirt and a couple hats, I even got a Seahawk helmet alarm clock. Well, when I went up to pay for all these things and there were two guys at the counter. One of them had his back to me and the other just looked at the items I had put on the counter and laughed. The one laughing started hitting the other guy on the arm and said "you gotta see this". The guy turned around and laughed too, the guy was Fredd Young.

I guess, prior to me walking in to the store, the two had had a conversation about how many Seahawks items were available in the store and how much Seahawks stuff the guy actually sold in Albuquerque of all places. The shop owner had told him that he sold a lot of Seahawk gear and that there weren't too many days when he didn't sell something Seahawks related. Fredd didn't believe it and had told his buddy that if anyone came in and bought anything with a Seahawk logo on it while he was in the store, that he would pay for it... My lucky day!!!

I had to pass a test that consisted of several questions about the team and about me knowing that he was going to be in the store prior to coming in that day... I passed. I think I named every starter on both sides of the ball and their positions. I even knew the answer to the "do you know who I am?" question.

Anyway, Fredd paid for all the Seahawk gear I had put up on that counter. I thought he was kidding when he said he'd pay for it, but sure enough, he paid.

I made it about 5 steps out the door and realized that I still had enough money to get the Seahawk jersey that I had my eye on and marched right back in and grabbed it. I took it to the counter and the two started laughing again. I left the store with all the Seahawks stuff I wanted, a #50 jersey, and a story about the guy who actually wore the #50 Seahawk jersey on the field.

I will give you $1 million for that jersey!

Great story, ducati
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 am
  • Bobby Joe Edmonds. I used to sit with my ear to the radio on Sunday Afternoons. My dad was a pastor, so the house was pretty quiet (folks taking naps). That guy was electric and would have me dancin' around and doing those silent shouts where you about pass out because you are straining so hard and trying not to make noise. I also enjoyed Michael Bates...
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information