What happened to all the Josh Portis man-crush posts?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Reading a recent thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55883&start=100, I was struck by the relative absence of man-crushing and gushing over Josh Portis, compared to the pre-RW emergence timeframe.

Does anyone still love Josh Portis, and does he merit a place on this team going forward, or is it time to start looking for a new man-crush as our developmental QB? I'm assuming Flynn is our game-ready backup QB, so primarily interested in the developmental QB with upside who could challenge for full backup role or eventually, even to start.

Scenario: RW goes down in the 1st quarter of the Miami game broke a hand on a defender helmet in throwing motion, out for 5-6 weeks, Flynn goes down at the end of the 2nd quarter making a tackle after throwing a pick, leaving us with Portis to finish out the second half of the Miami game and the rest of the season. Are we all terrified of that prospect?

Honestly, Portis showed me *nothing* in preseason, and truthfully, less than nothing, i.e., negative plays, and just looked lost.

Word is JP is RW's study partner (interestingly, not Flynn; what does that mean, if anything?)

So, do we keep Portis around? Why/based on what value he provides? (I'm open to seeing it, I'm sure there's data I don't have) Or are we are looking for a new man-crush for our developmental QB, and if so, who/where should we be looking? Are guys like Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles a better bet (not saying we could/should get either, just examples of two other late-round rookie QBs that have played and done OK in limited action; BTW, Foles looks like CBJ 2.0), or do we truly need a highly mobile QB as our developmental QB?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
They all turned to Russell Wilson man-crushes. Fickle bunch around here.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I don't think people loved Josh Portis as much as they loved the "idea" of Josh Portis. Really, people just wanted a legitimate starting franchise QB of the future and thought JP showed some potential to develop into one. Now that we have a REAL franchise QBOTF, the idea of JP ever developing into that seems pretty silly in retrospect.

That being said though, I think he's got the skills to develop into a serviceable back up and an understudy to Rusty Wilson. He's that type of similarly mobile QB who could do things in a similar manner to Russell so we don't need to re-jig the whole offense just because the back-up is going in should we ever need to sit Russell down for any reason (like being up by 40 points at halftime or something, not going to say the "I" word).

I like the Flynnster too, but given Russell's skillset, the offense is going to start moving in a direction that Flynn can't follow in an effort to take better advantage of Rusty's strengths. Be it JP or someone else, we'll need to have a back up who can pick up and carry on without missing a beat. Wonder what's Seneca doing...? :p

JKent82

Reaction score
Who's not terrified of having their third string QB come in and play? And actually he's not even our third string QB since he is on the PS.

I'd rather have the third string be a developmental QB, he can mimic athletic QB's on the scout team and hell maybe he'll turn into a decent back up some day.

He'll probably lose his job next year to a newly drafted QB, but I appreciate a upside QB who doesn't even take a roster spot.

As far as not mentioning Portis, it's a combo of it not being the offseason, no competition ongoing to have fun bringing up Portis, Portis playing horribly during the last preseason (Though it's not like he got many offseason snaps, not a great situation for him), and the fact RUSSELL WILSON IS REALLY REALLY AWESOME.

That said I still have faith in Josh Portis. In a general sense. He's gonna be really good someday. At something. Probably not football.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Funny, I was just thinking about this before I saw this thread.

CANHawk nailed it right on the head. I thought about how desperate we were for a QB that us fans were clinging on to the hope that Portis could develop into a stud because of one nice drive in San Diego 2 years ago. So many things would have to go right for that to happen but things were that bleak back then. Then, a hero arrived on horseback and his name was Russell Wilson and it all looks silly now. However, like CAN said, if Portis keeps hanging around Russell, he might absorb some things and make for a quality #2 QB at a much cheaper rate than Flynn. Who knows, maybe he gets some action in the preseason and tears it up and becomes the NEW Matt Flynn?

dunceface

Reaction score
Once we deal Flynn for some value Portis may be ready to step up to #2
He seems to fit the point guard QB that Flynn does not like CANhawk mentioned

themunn

Reaction score
olyfan63":yjisi71x said:
Scenario: RW goes down in the 1st quarter of the Miami game broke a hand on a defender helmet in throwing motion, out for 5-6 weeks, Flynn goes down at the end of the 2nd quarter making a tackle after throwing a pick, leaving us with Portis to finish out the second half of the Miami game and the rest of the season. Are we all terrified of that prospect?

I'm terrified of that scenario because Portis is on the PS and thus doesn't suit up for the game...

CANHawk

Reaction score
themunn":1c4q9tuk said:
olyfan63":1c4q9tuk said:

I'm terrified of that scenario because Portis is on the PS and thus doesn't suit up for the game...

Josh Portis doesn't earn his paycheck right now as a viable option to go in and win games. Even as the third qb option (which as somebody else pointed out he is not since he's on the PS) his actual job is to run the scout team in practice against the starting defense and do his best job of impersonating the weeks opponent to make our defense better. That's his current job. Coincidentally, copying a variety of NFL offenses and throwing against top caliber opponents all week helps some of these young guys develop into viable back up options down the road (which is exactly what you're trying to do with any of the PS guys).

Putting the 3rd QB into a game isn't ever really a viable option; it's pulling the holy shit handle. If QB3 is in there, something has gone horribly horribly wrong (right Coach Whiz?)

kearly

Reaction score
Relative to Whitehurst and old Hasselbeck, Portis has a lot of talent. He was miserable in his only preseason game this year, but considering that he was getting like 5 snaps a practice most of the preseason, that's to be expected. It didn't change my opinion of him at all. I think the decision to release him was more of a statement of confidence in Flynn as the backup. If your first two guys are as good as Wilson/Flynn, then having a 3rd QB (who's waiver safe after a terrible preseason performance) is a luxury.

As far as the extreme scenario where we'd actually lose two QBs in one game, we do have Robinson as a potential emergency QB. Sidney Rice could be a fun in game experiment at QB as well on the 0.01% chance things ever got that far.

chris98251

Reaction score
Portis has talent, everytime his name is brought up Pete gushes over his contributions running scout team and how much he has improved. I have to say he is one of those players right now that makes our defense better, he's mobile, he is pretty heady from what we have seen, has a cannon of an arm. Sometimes that kind of player is unsung but what he brings makes us a lot better. I think we stand pat at QB pretty much unless their is a trade for Flynn, his name keep popping up as a QB that could help a team next year in some articals I have read.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
CANHawk":mifp18y7 said:
I don't think people loved Josh Portis as much as they loved the "idea" of Josh Portis.
... Wonder what's Seneca doing...? :p

Two awesome soundbite quotes in one post!!

The "idea" of Josh Portis... LOL... just like the difference between the "idea" of getting up Sunday morning at 5am for a killer exercise workout vs. the reality of actually doing it after staying out partying Saturday night until 3am. (Or getting up in 2 hours to go Black Friday shopping...)

Sure, Seneca Wallace might be an OK backup for RW. It's amusing because after drafting Wilson, a lot of posters here (mistakenly) compared Wilson's game to Wallace's game. I just felt like Seneca, like TJack, never really learned to read defenses well (someone tell me if I'm wrong here and the *real* problem was really something else, lack of OL, WR's etc.) Wilson, OTOH, is all about reading defenses. And yes, someone like a Seneca would be more stepping into the Flynn backup role, rather than developmental QB role. Seneca, TJack, same QB except TJack is a little bigger/more durable, Seneca is a better scrambler/runner?

The point about QB "style" and Flynn not being physically able to do what RW does, making plays with his feet makes sense... Makes me curious about how PC/JS are looking at this for the offseason and moving Flynn. Along those lines, it will be interesting to see how the Colin Kaepernick situation plays out in SF to see a club switching between QBs of differing abilities/styles. Though Smith seems a much better runner than Flynn; the Saints can confirm that one.

For a *developmental* QB, (not a backup), looks like a lot of us still love Portis, at least a little. Maybe Wilson's habits will rub off on Portis, and we will see a transformed QB next preseason...

And thanks to Kearly for pointing out it would actually be MRob as the #3 (emergency) QB in a game. Although I thought I once heard of some special rule that allowed for the #3 QB to play in such an emergency situation. My imagination? If anyone knows about that rule or something that sounds similar, please share.

Happy

Reaction score
Josh portis is that young hottie who works as a checker the local grocery store, and always seems to be extra nice to you and receptive when you flirt with her a little bit. You've been single for a long time and she's the best lookin' thing around that doesn't have a ring on her finger. But you know, she dropped out school, did some time in juvie, and you're a bit old to be messing with that...but maybe she's turned it around.

Then one day a new vendor rep comes in to the office. she's young too, but she's wearing a nice business suit and you can see she's athletic and put together. She drives a Mercedes and she's sharp as tack. You ask her out for dinner and she says yes. You start dating.

The hottie cash register jockey just got demoted to occasional late night fapping material, if that.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
The same thing that happened to all the Matt Flynn threads happened.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2v9y8im4 said:
I'd rather have Michael Robinson at QB than Josh Portis.

Finally we agree on a QB issue. :th2thumbs:

I've said from the very start that Portis will never start an NFL game, and I still 100% believe that.

Jville

Reaction score
Josh Portis has slipped from the 2011 roster to the 2012 practice squad. To date, no interest has surfaced from any of the other 31 teams. As much as he "appeared" to regress during the 2012 preseason, Portis looks to need a good study partner and tutor.

CANHawk

Reaction score
sadhappy":5y9rae1s said:
Josh portis is that young hottie who works as a checker the local grocery store, and always seems to be extra nice to you and receptive when you flirt with her a little bit. You've been single for a long time and she's the best lookin' thing around that doesn't have a ring on her finger. But you know, she dropped out school, did some time in juvie, and you're a bit old to be messing with that...but maybe she's turned it around.

Then one day a new vendor rep comes in to the office. she's young too, but she's wearing a nice business suit and you can see she's athletic and put together. She drives a Mercedes and she's sharp as tack. You ask her out for dinner and she says yes. You start dating.

The hottie cash register jockey just got demoted to occasional late night fapping material, if that.

You sir are a wordsmith. A cunning linguist if there ever was one...