When did Russell Wilson win you over?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
K.C. pre-season game made me realize this guy might very well be for real. @Detroit made me realize he is for real.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Largent80":1z6ikrzs said:
Long before the draft I was at the Rose Bowl game and watched Wilson play. At that time I wanted him to be a Hawk. I was sure that after I heard pre draft interviews that he was a perfect fit for us. I was ecstatic when we got him.

Me too, I'm a Ducks fan who lives in Eugene and I was scared to death of this kid !!! He almost made it happen too, got jobbed by the refs in the end though, bummer. His cool demeanor was awesome and he didn't falter so I knew he was something special then.

So when we drafted him I was stoked !!!

OP
OP
Hawken-Dazs

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I didn't know so many people wanted him I Seattle while he was still a Badger. I only remember people here saying we should suck for Luck or trade up for RGIII.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":1i93ytm7 said:
I didn't know so many people wanted him I Seattle while he was still a Badger. I only remember people here saying we should suck for Luck or trade up for RGIII.

Don't discount plenty of revisionist history. If we kept longer archives here, it'd be easy to prove the LACK of "wilson" showing up in thread searches. I'm not saying he was never mentioned, but at this point, we've got a fair number of people that "called it" that he'd be a great NFL QB, and not enough evidence of it beforehand.

sliv

Reaction score
I can't think of a specific time or game, but when I first watched him play and first learned about all the intangibles last year, I wanted to see if he could beat the odds. So I guess when I saw him play and learned about his character.

sliv

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":36slldle said:
Hawken-Dazs":36slldle said:

Don't discount plenty of revisionist history. If we kept longer archives here, it'd be easy to prove the LACK of "wilson" showing up in thread searches. I'm not saying he was never mentioned, but at this point, we've got a fair number of people that "called it" that he'd be a great NFL QB, and not enough evidence of it beforehand.

Whatever I was on here arguing with alot of people, it was like saying maybe just maybe the earth isn't flat back in the day, I actually had to temper my enthusiasm because alot of peeps were so sure and dismissive about the idea of him having a chance to be an nfl quarterback. Say what they will I remember and deep down so do the people that were envolved in those threads last year. All that doesn't matter because I went down to vegas this preseason to put a $1,000 on the Seahawks to win the superbowl at 50 to 1, ended up winning $3,000 in craps and decided to put make a $2,000 dollar bet. The odds are against me and it would have to be a magical finish to the season but I put my money where my mouth is and have an oppurtunity to win $102,000........ oh yah ... GO HAWKS.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I would say he won me over as a person within the first few interviews and after seeing reports of him.

He won me over as a player in the game against NE. He proved he was clutch in the GB game, didn't give up. Proved he was clutch in other games too, but the NE game he attacked it. He has shown to be a terrific football player on top of being a cool customer.

No moment is too big for him, while losing in San Fran, you could see that he just had it. He is a total professional and has it all. A huge arm, with accuracy, has the reputation of being a guy that plays out of the pocket, but he does well inside too. It just happens that his danger factor goes up by 5 when he gets outside.

He has been put in tough situation after tough situation and just when I think he is going to crumble he shows up. The laser to Baldwin in the end zone cemented my confidence in him, the TD to rice 50 yards in the air with velocity just hammered it home.

He is only going to get better.

dunceface

Reaction score
I was impressed by his play immediately, sold on starting him after the GB game, but he had me head over heels smitten in a man crush the first time I saw him end his presser with "GO HAWKS!"

Veilside

Reaction score
I would say he won me over so that I wanted him in the draft over any other player in our range after I saw his college stats either right before the Rose Bowl or just after. I looked at them and thought "why the hell is no one talking about this guy?" then I learned how short he is. After watching highlight videos I began to be sold, but the Gruden QB camp segment hammered it home for me. That was also what sold me on Mallett.

During our pick in the 3rd round of the draft I was totally expecting to hear Lamar Miller's or Chris Polk's name be called but was absolutely ecstatic when I heard Russell Wilson. Though I was hoping we'd go after him in the 4th or 5th, I was just totally happy we claimed him! I "knew" then that he had a shot at starting over Flynn but wasn't sure if that would be the best for his development if he did. I decided before rookie OTAs that best case scenario was having Wilson start with Flynn backing him up, but I would have been perfectly fine with having Flynn start and Wilson sit and learn too. I would have murdered a kitten if Jackson had won. (I don't hate Jackson).

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson has never won me over, I support him, I was a Flynn backer. I see him improve everyweek but am not going to anoint him as a Franchise QB till he can to quote Pete TILT the field.

12thMode

Reaction score
dunceface":394tons6 said:
Tech Worlds":394tons6 said:
He had me at "Hello".

He had me at "GO HAWKS".

This.

I love his attitude and his love for this team! Because of Wilson my wife now loves to watch football with me every game. She was never really in to sports before, she grew up in Venezuela and didn't really care for Futbol. But now she has turned in to a die hard Seahawks fan/Russell Wilson fan!

Also, it is really cool coming from someone who doesn't know anything about sports or football for that matter, say to me, " Our defense plays so aggressive and mean compared to the other teams defense." I said, "that's right baby, they are known as the Legion of Boom!"

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":zo2l5wsv said:
Hawken-Dazs":zo2l5wsv said:

Soon enought the "Flynn Backers" will be off the hook... which makes me happy because I want to see Wilson get the support he deserves but it also is a little annoying at the same time because a lot of fans were not too happy to have him as the starter. There just won't be proof of that, so they can act one way and never have to eat crow.

chris98251

Reaction score
I back Flynn and I don't need to be off a hook, I support Wilson as a Seahawks QB and see a lot to like and enjoy watching him grow. I believe Flynn was injured at the start of the season and Wilson took advantage of that window and ran with it. Credit to Wilson for taking the situation and then running with it. At this point of the season if you opened up the competition I don't think the talent seperation is enough now to dictate one over the other Wilson has grown so much.

Now it's a matter of where he hits his ceiling and if the coaches let him play to maximise his abilitys. Were still waiting I think to see what he can really do and if he has the IT factor to elevate his team to that next level.

I am enjoying watching his metamorphisis into that.

jman316

Reaction score
Here are the results so far:

NC State 13
Wisconsin 14
Draft 7
Tenn 2
Denver 1
KC 11
Named Starter 1
Arizona 1
Dallas 2
GB 1
NE 15
49ers 1
Detroit 3
Vikings 1
Jets 1
Not Sold 3

Interesting to see the beakdown and how a few were sold after games the Hawks lost. Speaks to how well Wilson does facing adversity and keeping his emotions in check.

I knew he was something special after watching the KC game. He just has that "IT" that you can't describe and something we've never had at the QB position in Seattle.

GO HAWKS!!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I was one of the ones who felt that Flynn should have started the season. When Wilson got the job, I thought two things. Either Flynn was injured, or Wilson just went after it hard. I was worried that his rookiness would show, but it didn't really happen. He grew up in the games and frankly I don't think the record would be any different if Flynn started, maybe and I mean maybe we win that AZ game.

To get Wilson that in-game experience and still be in the race was HUGE. For one, we know that Flynn can play, we couldn't see it with Wilson until a few games really. So now we know that we have two serviceable QBs on the roster.

In today's NFL, with injuries and concussions that is a luxury, one that is worth keeping Flynn around for at his cost. As long as the cost of having BOTH salaries combined is not grossly damaging the cap the Hawks are on business. Wilson won me over, but I like the team's chances with Matt Flynn the same.

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
Gruden camp did it for me... I was so eager for training camp to start I listened to kjr every day when they were at training camp and I never heard much about Wilson from them... it left me confused and sad that my vision of this guy becoming the guy wasn't going to happen... Then a few weeks later one of Wilsons former coaches came on the show and was like I have no doubt Russell can be the starter of this team and succeed. Hugh Millen about had a fit and kinda laughed it off as did Mitch.

I had hopes of him becoming the starter yet after watching Flynn in the first bit of the Titans game he just kinda played boringly (is this even a word?). Then Russell came in; the moment I waited months to see... he did not disappoint but was it just because he was playing against scrubs?... The the following week he did even better vs the Broncos.... When Pete came out and named him the starter for the chiefs game it was the greatest part of preseason for me.......That game made me feel like we found Tom Brady...

He struggled the first few weeks of the season and I was getting nervous for Russell radio hosts were calling for his head. After that Patriots game it shut everyone up... thank god. Wilson has been great ever since in all honestly.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":37dn7mmj said:
Gruden camp did it for me... I was so eager for training camp to start I listened to kjr every day when they were at training camp and I never heard much about Wilson from them... it left me confused and sad that my vision of this guy becoming the guy wasn't going to happen... Then a few weeks later one of Wilsons former coaches came on the show and was like I have no doubt Russell can be the starter of this team and succeed. Hugh Millen about had a fit and kinda laughed it off as did Mitch. So I had hopes of him becoming the starter yet after watching Flynn in the first bit of the Titans game. Just kinda played boringly. Then Russell came in the moment I waited months to see and he did pretty well... Then the following week he did even better vs the Broncos.... Then Pete came out and named him the starter for the chiefs game... then came the Chiefs game wow.... Sold... then he struggled the first few weeks of the season and I was getting nervous for Russell. Patriots game sold me and hes been solid ever since.

Millen, Hawk Blogger, Bob & Graz were all anti Wilson locally while brock and salk were on the Wilson waggon.

Any other NFL team and Wilson would not be starting. Really a testement to the great organization and future the hawks have.