Y so sensitive about the East Coast bias thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
Ok, I get it. Some of us are a tad bit sensitive about the east coast bias thing. And anyone who says it doesn't exists probably also believes Dan McGuire was our greatest qb ever. But why do so many of us get their panties in a bunch over it?

It's nothing personal. They are just doing the wise thing for their shareholders and maximizing their profits. Media exists to make money. Media makes money by selling advertising. You sell more advertising by having a larger viewership. You have a large viewership by showing more people what they want to see/hear. 3/4 of the entire US population lives on the East Coast. Soooo, you think they want to hear about the up and coming Seahawks or how Sanchez's ex gf may not be rumored to be dating Tebow's ex's brother's in law's cousin? Just saying.

Bottom line is, if you want to stay in business in the National sports world you had better be giving the east coast what the east coast wants to hear. If you want the National media to constantly talk about your team regardless of anything they've done to earn it. Just choose an east coast team to root for--like Cleveland---oh wait...

Hate it all you want, but if you owned a national media outlet and did anything different you would losing a ton of money. No conspiracy. Just Benjamin's.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
You are correct.

I just was pissed because they should have flexed out the Cowboys/Eagles game.

But I'm over it now.

dunceface

Reaction score
But if we took all that in to account, we couldn't bitch about it for 8 pages...

Tical21

Reaction score
I dunno, I stopped caring about it 15 years ago. My longest childhood friend has been living on the east coast for ten years or so, and the attitude just blows him away. The average New Yorker doesn't even acknowledge that the west coast exists. It is like we aren't a part of the same country. I guarantee you 75% of say Bills fans out there have never heard of Richard Sherman. Or Earl Thomas. Even if ESPN played Richard Sherman highlights for 15 minutes every night for six months, NYers would just tune it out. It isn't relevant to their lives.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Depends on the day, it's so clear to us that sometimes it's too ridiculous that you have to get it out of your system. Like Fox news.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I have no problem with media bias in terms of amount of coverage, that just makes business sense. I do have a problem with pure laziness when it comes to discussing the Seahawks. For instance, looking at Wilson getting 196 yards passing and concluding he had a bad or mediocre day, when he really had 3 passing TDs and 0 ints to go with those 196 yards. :roll:

EmonacoZ71

Reaction score
I will speak for the east coast few and say that the east coast bias against the Seahawks is not unanimous. I feel your guys pain, I would love to see the Seahawks get some love but fact is that's just not going to happen when you have the NFC East which seems to get the most attention in my opinion. The fact that all we hear about is Eli having a tired arm, Cowboys up and down, Eagles debacle with Reid, and the Redskins with Griffin III gets quite old. Not to mention the nauseating nonsense with how the Jets treat Tebow, there's just no winning against that kind of publicity/controversy.

Twisted

Reaction score
seesurfers":9rbu0y5q said:
Hate it all you want, but if you owned a national media outlet and did anything different you would losing a ton of money. No conspiracy. Just Benjamin's.

some of us are of the opinion money isn't everything, sheesh

you make it sound as if the NFL and networks mention the seahawks they'll have to file chapter 11

at some point people are going to have to determine when enough is enough, or at what point they are comfortable, otherwise they'll NEVER be comfortable.. ;)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not that I don't get the dollar and cents angle, I do. I get that.

What keeps my fire burning is the SMUG righteousness in the way they not only consciously dismiss the Seahawks but take unprofessional pot shots at us. This has gone on for DECADES and that is what pisses me off when I think about "East Coast Bias." It's acceptable and expected by their peers (from analysts to former players turned analysts) and it's disgusting.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
Apparently,............

.........the sun rises,........

........and sets,........

......on the East Coast.

Sorry,...............but, it's a huge nation,............

............and the East coast is (apparently) clueless (as to the majority).

But,.............why are we shocked???????

Twisted

Reaction score
Aros":1lhvti8g said:

if its all about dollars and cents (network league revenue) how does one explain the 49ers?

SF is about the same size as Seattle so one has to believe their TV ratings are about the same, right?

lets move on to success over the last decade, Seattle obviously wins that so as far as popularity i concerned Seattle should win that hands down

its ludicrous to say the networks base exposure using popularity or success that in turn is based ratings... the networks CREATE the popularity, and the league does all it can to create success, 'cmon man, mid season break the niners get 23 days off with one game in between? is it any wonder they were a lot stronger than the bears? after they played the hawks they get 11 days off then play the cards, another 12 days off then play the rams, then 8 days off to play the bears, scheduling coincidence? the niners didn't play a divisional team until week 8?

if the networks and the league wanted to increase Seattle's ratings they could, in the same manner they are increasing the popularity of the niners, by INCREASING EXPOSURE and sensationalizing (all that hype you hear every time they play), 2 Monday night games, 2 Sunday night games and 1 Thursday night game? seems they are in the process of increasing the niners ratings to me.

and why? because over the last 9 years they made the playoffs once? remember that 13-3 came out of so so division, aside from their 13 wins the reaming teams had a combined 17 wins, every team at .500 or below.

if the decisions are made via popularity then its safe to say not many like the Seahawks, which is obviously bias, considering theSeahawks made the playoffs 6 times in the last 9 years, not once...

chris98251

Reaction score
We are the 13th largest Market in the country, the dollars and cents legs don't walk no more.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Twisted":wiv6qii0 said:
Aros":wiv6qii0 said:

if its all about dollars and cents (network league revenue) how does one explain the 49ers?

SF is about the same size as Seattle so one has to believe their TV ratings are about the same, right?

lets move on to success over the last decade, Seattle obviously wins that so as far as popularity i concerned Seattle should win that hands down

its ludicrous to say the networks base exposure using popularity or success that in turn is based ratings... the networks CREATE the popularity, and the league does all it can to create success, 'cmon man, mid season break the niners get 23 days off with one game in between? is it any wonder they were a lot stronger than the bears? after they played the hawks they get 11 days off then play the cards, another 12 days off then play the rams, then 8 days off to play the bears, scheduling coincidence? the niners didn't play a divisional team until week 8?

if the networks and the league wanted to increase Seattle's ratings they could, in the same manner they are increasing the popularity of the niners, by INCREASING EXPOSURE and sensationalizing (all that hype you hear every time they play), 2 Monday night games, 2 Sunday night games and 1 Thursday night game? seems they are in the process of increasing the niners ratings to me.

and why? because over the last 9 years they made the playoffs once? remember that 13-3 came out of so so division, aside from their 13 wins the reaming teams had a combined 17 wins, every team at .500 or below.

if the decisions are made via popularity then its safe to say not many like the Seahawks, which is obviously bias, considering theSeahawks made the playoffs 6 times in the last 9 years, not once...

Two words: Storied Franchise.

In other words: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56766

minormillikin

Reaction score
Around 35% of the nation's total population lives on the East Coast.

Around 15% lives on the West Coast.

The rest is scattered throughout the "fly-over states" (and a giant chunk of those are "midwest" -- which I basically consider part of the "east coast").

It would be strange if there wasn't an East Coast Bias.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Or look at it this way; How much does the average Seattle fan know, or care, about the Buffalo Bills? (Without researching, how many here could name the Bill's defensive backfield? Or their starting O line?)

themunn

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3axzcz5k said:
Or look at it this way; How much does the average Seattle fan know, or care, about the Buffalo Bills? (Without researching, how many here could name the Bill's defensive backfield? Or their starting O line?)

I can name Jarius Byrd and George Wilson because both are pretty good. Couldn't tell you anyone else.
Of course I couldn't name the Giants O-Line either, I still expect people to know who the talented players in the NFL are, and we have a bunch of them

When I looked them up I recognised the name Stephon Gilmore as a pretty good CB but no idea how that has translated to the NFL. I do not recognise any other player

AVL

Reaction score
Isn't the NFL headquarters in Kansas?

Just win, or overpopulate the northwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts