Those players that you take for granted

hawksfan515

Reaction score
That just do their job perfectly each game, and you know they will. Like Richard Sherman. Earl Thomas. Brandon Browner. Marshawn Lynch.

Those are the elite players on your football team. The day you stop worrying about whether they are gonna have a good game, and instead you just KNOW they will have one. I feel that way about these players on the Hawks.

What about you guys?

Sac

Reaction score
Those guys you mentioned are super stars. Players on this team that get taken for granted IMHO are guys like Mike-Rob, Max Unger, Russell Okung, to some extent KJ Wright and definitely Leroy Hill.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Clint Gresham

He made one bad long snap this season and it was intentionally bad (called safety play in Panthers game).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2d6f02r6 said:
Those guys you mentioned are super stars. Players on this team that get taken for granted IMHO are guys like Mike-Rob, Max Unger, Russell Okung, to some extent KJ Wright and definitely Leroy Hill.

This, and adding Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, Bobby Wagner, Kam Chancellor. Total lunch pail MoFos.

bellingerga

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":xq26xei3 said:

You hit it right on the head, that would be precisely my list except that I'd add Mebane. That guy is stout as can be, and flat out disruptive. Off the line lightening fast. Hard for anyone to handle 1 on 1. God forbid we lose that guy, thats a BIG hole to fill in our Dline.....

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Obomanu, Miller, Unger, Tru, Farwell...I think all those get taken for granted. Obomanu and Farwell are monsters on ST, Unger is an upper tier C, Tru's experience and knowledge of the game definitely helps the other young DB's, and Miller helps keep our QB alive.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Nice thread, though I agree with the above poster who states that the players that get 'taken for granted' aren't the stars that are great each game, but the players who are great each game without the name recognition.

For me it's Hauschka (who has been solid on kickoffs all year, and fine on FGs), Jon Ryan (remember when we used to talk about the punter nearly every week?), Robinson, and Unger (though you could argue he's starting to lose that 'without recognition' status).

sutz

Reaction score
The thing I like-about this discussion in particular-is the sheer number of players that we can call up and put on the list of "being taken for granted." It tells me that our team has never been deeper in talent. That bodes well, like how last year, when we lost 3 starters off of our O-line and the backups stepped right in and we continued winning in the second half of the season. Sure, they weren't quite as good as the starters, but damn, just hearing the words "3 O-linemen down" makes me shudder. They did OK. Why? Because the team is deep and they were prepared.

I can't recall how long it's been since our team was this resilient. It goes back to Knox, at least. So often, even in our good years, it always seemed we were only one injury away from mediocrity.

When I hear coaches like Cable saying he likes to train his O-linemen to play 2 or 3 positions, it almost makes my head explode with the resounding "DU'H!" that goes through it.

I'm not going to add to the list of players we take for granted, because in many ways we take them all for granted.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Washington. I love how he sprints off the field after kickoffs and punts. Don't have to worry about dropped punts or messing up like letting the ball hit him. Just a solid returner.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I'd go with Jon Ryan on this.

Every time he launches a punt downfield, I'm almost expecting one of our guys to be stood underneath it inside the ten yard line, while the returner gets the hell out of the way. Actually, now I've mentioned it, you can include the guys on the punt coverage unit too - priceless.

hawksman53

Reaction score
Farwell and Trufant. IMO the change in position by Tru put him back into the elite in the NFL where he is playing. Farwell will make every tackle on special teams the rest of the year (obviously not but seems like it). The guy just gets it done!!!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane, Heath Farwell, Jason Jones, and for as much as I wanted to knock his teeth into his throat earlier this season, Breno's been pretty decent as of late.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1kttfy6x said:

lol it's weird cause you guys actually didn't get where I was going with this thread, I guess I didn't state it clearly enough. What I meant was that you know a player's elite when you stop wishing he'd have a good game.... You just know he's gonna have a good game. Anyone on this board worried about Sherman getting beat consistently by a WR? not me, he just erases a receiver and now we are used to it. Everyone is used to Lynch pounding out those good 5 yard runs, and we are spoiled with these players, because while other teams are happy with average CB/RB play, we are so used to elite play there that we get mad when they turn in an average performance. We take these elite guys kinda for granted in that sense.

But, the players who I think are taken largely for granted? I do like that topic a little more actually. Here goes:

Russell Okung definitely
Michael Robinson
Kam Chancellor nowadays
Max Unger kinda (he is elite, shoulda included him in my OP)
Alan Branch is SO UNDERRATED I swear I never even see his name anymore
Anthony McCoy (no one really notices good blocking)
Sidney Rice (this guy is an borderline elite receiver, and he gets treated like he's average. Hell. No)

That's the guys for me lol. All starters besides Mccoy.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
The top on that list has to be LeRoy Hill . dude has been consistent since he got here.

Also Jon Ryan - best punter in the league!

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":a7bdy51b said:
The top on that list has to be LeRoy Hill . dude has been consistent since he got here.

Also Jon Ryan - best punter in the league!

Gotta agree on Ryan..... He is so good I have already forgiven him for the Pats game freeze up. Plus he's a ginger! :mrgreen:

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkinNY":n16jsgv5 said:
Washington. I love how he sprints off the field after kickoffs and punts. Don't have to worry about dropped punts or messing up like letting the ball hit him. Just a solid returner.

Plus one. I love the sprint off the field. It sends a message to his team mates. And we never have to worry about him fielding the catch.

I've said some negative things in the past but they were out of frustration, love that he plays for us.

sturg78

Reaction score
Gotta agree with a previous poster and go with the long snapper. I remember the horrible years a few years back when we had a horrible string of snappers. I recall us basically screwing the pooch against NO and giving them their first win in the year due to a snap that sailed over the punter by about 10 yards.

chris98251

Reaction score
I want to add Josh Portis, he runs the scout team everyweek that helps prepare our defense, given his abilitys he can mimick just about any QB in the league, versitale, strong arm, pretty quick release and smarter then people give him credit for. Why I think he will stay around till a Flynn decision is forced and then we will really see how far he has come.