When did Russell Wilson win you over?

NYCoug

Reaction score
At NC State.

I'd watch him and think, damn, it's too bad he's too short and no one will give him a chance. But I'd always be amazed whenever I watched.

I had no friggin clue back then that he would one day be the mythical "QB of the future" of the Seahawks. Funny how life works out. The more I think I know, the less I really know.

But it's damn good to have him with the Hawks. I can't wait to see what happens next!

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
I'll let ya know. Until then I got high hopes for the rook. I'd say the jets, or last two games have been his personal bests as far as decisive, smart qb play.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Seeing how bad the Chiefs are today, that preseason game didn't do it for me.

He won me over with the Patriots come-from-behind-win, then reinforced at 9ers, Lions, Vikings and Jets.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Wisconsin vs Nebraska 10/1 of last year.

The first serious team on the Badgers schedule and he picked them apart 48-17

tubbs51

Reaction score
Throwdown":2jy69685 said:
tubbs51":2jy69685 said:
Draft day. I heard a bit about Wilson shortly before and during the first day of the draft. looked up his highlights from NC State and Wisconsin and was partially sold. Saw the QB thing with Gruden and was sold 100%. Honestly i had a slight feeling he'd be our starter but i thought Pete would be a fool and start Flynn over Wilson. Glad thats not the case.

Now as soon as i have the money i'm gonna buy a #3 jersey. :D

Side Note: we have too damn many cool players on our team. From Baldwin, to Sherman, to Lynch, to Turbin, to ET. I mean christ i want a Max Unger jersey!!!!

Unger??? Lol I hate hearing him talk, sounds like a computer technician.
The Episode of Real Rob report along with his very solid play and the fact that he gets very little love sold me. Then again i'd like a Moffitt jersey too.... I think i have a problem. lmao

MrCarey

Reaction score
Preseason. The TD run where literally nobody knew he was running the ball and he just went left to a wide-open field. It was fantastic.

edogg23

Reaction score
It's been an interesting ride for me. I was against starting a rookie at QB. I went to the gb game and felt like he had a bad game despite the outcome. I would say that starting with the Pats game he has consistently shown that he is learning from mistakes and has me feeling confident he can be our QB.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":hxhui5d6 said:
I remember early this year the day we signed Matt Flynn, he was the buzz of the town. Everyone was hyped, jerseys were printed, local radio wouldn't stop talking about it, yadayadaada. Fast forward nine months and we've got a rookie under center who nearly none of us foresaw last year.

I was that guy who truly thought Flynn was destined to be starter of the 2012 season. I thought PC's QB competition was just a motivator for Flynn to play at the top of his game. I was slightly impressed by Wilson in the first couple preseason games, but that third game against KC Chiefs sealed the deal for me and I've been a huge fan ever since.

My dad was skeptical of Wilson starting and kept debating with me early in the season amidst a potential QB controversy. He changed his mind after the Pats game, and has been a huge fan ever since.

I know some fans were Flynnsters in the early goings, but are now full-time DangeRuss supporters. I'm curious to hear when exactly the rookie won you over.
Your Pappy had it right, or at least the part about getting on board with Wilson at the helm after the Patriots game.
I was reserving my jumping on the Wilson bandwagon because I wanted to see if he had enough presence(sp) of mind, to show that he could compete at the next level, without going T-Jack and imploding under REAL pressure,,That Pats game pretty much washed all the doubts right out of my mind.

As for being a great backup?, Flynn did beat out Jackson, right?, just don't get the Flynn bashing as having a damned thing to do with Pete making his pick.

BASF

Reaction score
It was the first Michigan State game for me. Watching him put Wisconsin on his back in the fourth quarter to bring them back from two scores down on the road was eye opening. He was creative, buying time and throwing strikes while on the run including across his body. I knew the young man was going to be something special and that I would be routing for him as long as he wasn't drafted into our division. When we drafted him, I was ecstatic.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
BASF":1mvp9beh said:
It was the first Michigan State game for me. Watching him put Wisconsin on his back in the fourth quarter to bring them back from two scores down on the road was eye opening. He was creative, buying time and throwing strikes while on the run including across his body. I knew the young man was going to be something special and that I would be routing for him as long as he wasn't drafted into our division. When we drafted him, I was ecstatic.

Is it just me or do you have Cortez Kennedy playing left guard in your signature?

I'm trying to figure out who all those are, i've got from left to right:

Blades, ??, House Ballard, Bryan Millard, John L Williams, ??, Hasselbeck, Tez, Big Walt, Warner, and Largent.

Is that other WR D Jack? No idea who the center is.

Rainger

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":66t4o65l said:
The last month I've liked what I've seen from Wilson .. he's really growing to be an efficient QB.

I think two things stand out above the rest though, for me anyway.

- How he handled the 49ers game.
Wide receivers were dropping everything like we had a time warp back to 2003-2004. Wilson had one "WTF?" throw, the interception into triple coverage when Rice was running all by himself underneath - but aside from that.. he was doing everything you could ask of the kid, and he just wasn't getting help. But where most rookies would begin to press a little bit and start forcing the issue.. especially against that defense.. Wilson stayed cool the entire time. And yeah we lost and didn't score a single touchdown in the game, but his demeanor was just very impressive.

- How he handled the Jets game.
I think outside of the start of the second half in Carolina, the first quarter and a half against the Jets was Wilson's worst in his short career so far. The Jets seemed to really be harassing him after a quick TD pass to open the game, and they would score their only TD of the game on a Wilson fumble.. but again, like the 49ers game, where you would expect a young kid to start panicking and having his mistakes snowball beneath him - Wilson stayed calm.. and eventually the game turned into a rout in a good way.

The kid just stays so calm when everything around him is going to hell in a hand basket. THAT is what I love about him. I know many on here are already christening him to be great.. I don't think he's there YET.. but he has that potential to be. And he definitely has this trait down pat, and it's a trait that can not be taught to players.. you either have it, or you don't.
WOW did everyone on .net just see a Hasselbeck positive backhanded compliment to RW?? I think I did. I think he has actuallly come around to the kid. RW will be and is our QBOTF that we have been waiting for, for 35 years. Well done Hasselbeck, if RW can bring you around then the sky is really the limit with this team.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He had me after we drafted him and watched his Camp Gruden video, but I can't lie I had a lot of doubts he was ready hold off Flynn after the loss @ STL, and a loss to Carolina would have been very bad for him. The Win vs New England was when i realized I would be willing to spend $100 on his jersey.

Rainger

Reaction score
AZRussWilsonFan":32b19aac said:
Hello Seahawks fans!

I will start by saying I'm a die-hard Packer fan. The MNF game hurt deep inside. But I'm not here to talk about that.

Obviously I am a huge Russell Wilson fan and root for the Seahawks whenever they aren't playing the Packers. We(Badgers fans) knew he would be a good NFL starter and with a 6-4 record he is proving us right and most everyone else wrong.

Being a big fan I got sick of all the RGIII and Andrew Luck talk and decided to take matters into my own hands. Here is my new music video dedicated to the man himself. Hope you enjoy. Please share with all your Seahawks friends.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_6B5_yRbw[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_6B5_yRbw

Packers-Seahawks NFC Championship???????
Man you cant sing worth a shit but I sure do love you!

drdiags

Reaction score
JSeahawks":zcpaerdu said:
BASF":zcpaerdu said:

Is it just me or do you have Cortez Kennedy playing left guard in your signature?

Blades, ??, House Ballard, Bryan Millard, John L Williams, ??, Hasselbeck, Tez, Big Walt, Warner, and Largent.

I think it is DJack scoring in the NFCCG and the other guy looks like Ricky Watters from my view of the exploded image.

BASF

Reaction score
drdiags":1wm193r6 said:
JSeahawks":1wm193r6 said:
BASF":1wm193r6 said:

I think it is DJack scoring in the NFCCG and the other guy looks like Ricky Watters from my view of the exploded image.

Good eye Dr. That is DJack's NFCCG touchdown. The center is Mawae, and you have no idea how long it took to find a picture of Mawae playing for the Seahawks. Everything was him posing for trading cards. As much as I liked Toebeck, Mawae was simply better and I prefer players we actually drafted (Largent being the obvious exception). To this day, he is one of the very few Seahawks that I wish we had retained.

As far as left guard, as much as I dislike Hutchinson and have argued on this site that he never wanted to be a Seahawk after his demeanor on draft day, he is still by far the best left guard that we have had. I am looking forward to the day I can swap him out.

I did go back and forth on having a TE in there over DJack in the slot, but the fact is we have never really had a TE who was a game changer as Jackson (though it took me a couple of season to get over him being a Florida Gator) was.

Guardian

Reaction score
One of his college interviews. He said something that spoke volumes of his character. I forget exactly how he said it, but he basically said something like, "my team played well, and I have things I need to work on." It was an interview after a win. He was praising the efforts of his teammates, but wouldn't accept anything less than perfection from himself. You could see by the way he carried himself that he was destined to be a great qb. When we drafted him, I screamed and jumped for joy. At a restaurant. In North Dakota. People stared. I didn't care. Favorite draft pick. Ever.