Sports Nation Poll: Offensive Rookie of the Year

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

Sorry, there's a typo in the title of this thread. It should read, "East Coast Nation Poll" :sarcasm_off:
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• RG3 will probably win after his monster performance today
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• RW isn't flashy, he plays for the South Alaska Seahawks...What would you expect?

Unless his stats were historically gawdy, the brainless collective hive mind of the national media is not going to take note of how special our quarterback is.

Yet.

That WILL change soon enough.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• The ONLY way that Russell would even be in the running for ROY would be to win the SuperBowl!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Russell Wilson would wipe his arse with the ROY plaque without a Super Bowl victory.

Go jawks. It's a soft j.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• As I was watching the Colts game today, I was thinking there is no way RW stands a chance. Our team is not bad enough to get blown out bad enough to allow RW to pad his stats in garbage time of blow outs or get in a shootout w/ no defense. All our games, even the losses, are relative low scoring close games.

Whats the one stat always thrown around, even around here all the time? Total yards and yards/game, both of which I believe are horrible measurements by themselves of performance. Which is better, 200yds passing in a win or 300yds in a loss. I will take the win everytime, thank you. Sadly, I think a lot of people even so called professionals tend to dwell on the yardage numbers.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• You sir are correct, Although from Oregon
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• How many times is Luck chucking the ball to get those 300+ yards per game average? Without knowing or looking, my guess is 30-40+ a game.

Apples to oranges. Wilson is averaging what, 20 chucks a game? A big reason why we won't see gawdy yards from RW on an average basis.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Let them ignore him, and Sherman and Wagner and anyone
    else who comes in and does well. The more national media
    attention they get the more costly it will be to keep them in
    the long run.
    el capitan
    NET Starter

• oregonhawkfan wrote:As I was watching the Colts game today, I was thinking there is no way RW stands a chance. Our team is not bad enough to get blown out bad enough to allow RW to pad his stats in garbage time of blow outs or get in a shootout w/ no defense. All our games, even the losses, are relative low scoring close games.

Whats the one stat always thrown around, even around here all the time? Total yards and yards/game, both of which I believe are horrible measurements by themselves of performance. Which is better, 200yds passing in a win or 300yds in a loss. I will take the win everytime, thank you. Sadly, I think a lot of people even so called professionals tend to dwell on the yardage numbers.

And this is why I always say that fantasy football is creating an entire generation of idiot football fans. W's are all that matters.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• If by rg3s monster game you mean chucking the ball up and praying and the eagles simply stopping running on two plays to leave a guy 20yds deep behind them open then sure. I live in dc so I had to watch the game. Griffin was throwing it up on a Wing and a prayer and the first was due to good field position. The only thing I give him credit for is his running ability

Had he been not playing the eagles he'd have two picks and 50 percent completion today. I foresee a giant tAnk coming in his play against the rest of his remaining division games
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie

• Just win.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Both RG3 and Luck are passing 50 times a game. not hard to get gawdy numbers when you pass nearly every play. Now they'd both be screwed if they went up against us.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• Luck is getting credit for taking a two win team and having them in the playoff hunt ten weeks in. Statistically Wilson looks better but he isn't being forced to do it without help. Wilson definitely should be in the conversation but unless he improves on the road consistently he won't get credit for carrying his team like Luck is.

ROY doesn't factor in where they were drafted and it shouldn't just like if we were offered a trade straight up for Luck. I really like Wilson but would jump on that trade without hesitation and that speaks volumes about who is the best rookie in the NFL and not the best value.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:RW isn't flashy, he plays for the South Alaska Seahawks...What would you expect?

Unless his stats were historically gawdy, the brainless collective hive mind of the national media is not going to take note of how special our quarterback is.

Yet.

That WILL change soon enough.

The Colts don't really have a run game. Vick Ballard is doing OK, but you are correct, it's mostly Luck tossing passes all day Sunday and sometimes on Monday.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I'm not really getting all twisted about this.

Wilson played poorly out of the gate, whereas RG3 played so well, he took everyone by surprise, and the media by storm.

As stated above, Luck is doing a ton with less talent, and looking damned good doing it. Wilson is quiety having a more efficient season, but isn't asked to do as much, which does matter.

With all the home games, this well balance out at the end of the year, if Wilson continues the home play trend.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• luck passed 50 times yesterday, and was horrible... that my friends is what i rookie QB looks like... RG3 had two long pass plays and that was it, rest of the game he was shut down for the most part.. but the National Media will not tell you this, they'll show his 2 td, 200+ yrd stats and say, wow he's amazing, even though one TD was on a horribly blown coverage, the other was a throw it as far as i can hail mary and pray, how that reciever caught that ball between 2 defenders i'll never know.. but ya, he's amazing alright... i think luck just pick 6'd his a** out of the ROY race.. Go Bears!!!!
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• yeah Luck was amazing completing sub 60% on his passes and throwing 2 pick 6's. :roll:

I think Luck and Griffin are doing good things but everything they do is so blown out of proportion because the media WANTS then to be the best and will lash onto any evidence supporting the hype.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:The ONLY way that Russell would even be in the running for ROY would be to win the SuperBowl!

Isn't the NFL like the MLB, the voting for all the awards is done right after the regular season is over? I Googled the question and couldn't find the answer.

Either way, it's going to be hard for Luck to lose the ROY award, especially if he leads the Colts to a playoff appearance.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• I posted this on Facebook for some God forsaken reason and it's turned into a bunch of east coast football fans telling me that Russell Wilson is 5th in RoY voting behind all 3 of the guys mentioned above, as well as Trent Richardson. Lovely.

Also, people are giving Doug Martin a lot of credit because of 2 excellent games. Granted, they were amazing games, but for the longhaul I'd say Wilson has been better and expect him to better down the stretch.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Again.. I cannot grasp why everyone is surprised by this?

PREFACE: Russell Wilson is playing GOOD.

PREFACE AGAIN (Because I know the Russell army is about to be pissed off): Russell Wilson is playing GOOD.

His numbers are not flashy. Luck's are. RG3's are. Doug Martin's are.

All Wilson is doing, is winning - which for US is perfect. But that's not how these awards work. Never have. Never will. It has nothing to do with him being a Seahawk.. do you think the Buccaneers and Colts are wildly popular? No. Of course not. Wilson is NOT flashy in the stat column. Completion percentage and QB ratings don't wow people.. if they did, Alex Smith would be at the top of jersey sales.

If you don't believe me, and want a Seahawk specific vote.. pull up the 2005 Defensive Rookie of the Year voting and tell me I'm wrong. Shawne Merriman was FLASHY.. Lofa Tatupu was STEADY and GOOD. Guess who won?
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• CANHawk wrote:And this is why I always say that fantasy football is creating an entire generation of idiot football fans. W's are all that matters.

This has been going on long before Fantasy Football became as popular as it is today, though I do agree with what you're saying. Fantasy has skewed many people's viewpoints in what makes a player good.

But no matter what, yards and flash will always edge out boring stats (boring to the common average joe anyway) like completion percentage, yards per attempt and QB rating. And really this sort of thing isn't exclusive to just football. Look at MLB this year.. the raw stats of HR's, RBI and batting average (Cabrera) beat out the underlying sabermetrics stat goodness of another (Trout)

Does Wilson deserve to be in the conversation for ROY? Absolutely he does! But he's very unlikely to do so unless Andrew Luck and RG3 get hit by a bus or punch a baby or something drastic happens.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I will say it over and over. I don't want Russell to win ROTY. I want the chip on is shoulder to grow. Awards don't matter. Trophies do.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I have a legitimate man-crush on Russell Wilson, but RG3 is a superstar. He went 14-15 yesterday, for 200 yds and 4 tds. As well as 84 yds rushing.

For all of us that keep talking about efficiency, passer rating and TD/int ratio, RG3 is better than Wilson in all 3 of those categories. He's the offensive rookie of the year, and it really shouldn't be close
    "If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it" - John Gruden
    mjwhitay
    NET Rookie

• Think about it this way......

what would Luck or RGIII be doing if they were the starting QB for the Hawks? What would Wilson be doing as the starting QB for either of those teams?

The fact that the Indianapolis Colts are in the playoff hunt is flat-out ridiculous. There are maybe 5-6 QB's in the league that could have the record that he has on that team.

RG3 is insane.

Russell Wilson is playing great at moments, but has been inept for long stretches as well. Wilson has been excellent. Excellent. But what RGIII and Luck are doing is mind-blowing. Russell should have made the list though.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Well... for most of them, Indy is way out west.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information