Why does ESPN say Minnesota is ahead of Seattle?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• They have it wrong. First tiebreaker is head to head.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• because its espn and they are morons lol
    hawkfan333
    NET Rookie

• Thats what I thought!!! I just wanted to make sure!
    bill99350
    NET Bench Warmer

• Is it a 3way tie?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• 1. crap
    2. crap with an old bandaid on it
    3. espn
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Last edited by SeaToTheHawks on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Practice Squad

• pehawk wrote:Is it a 3way tie?

It is. TB, Min, and Sea. However, Minnesota would be eliminated by the head to head tiebreaker having lost to both teams, and Seattle would then beat out Tampa with a better conference winning percentage.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Is it a 3way tie?

It is. TB, Min, and Sea. However, Minnesota would be eliminated by the head to head tiebreaker having lost to both teams, and Seattle would then beat out Tampa with a better conference winning percentage.

That's a change then. I believe in 1988 or so Hawks lost in 3 way tie, even though they defeated both teams. Or, they beat one team, who had defeated the other. Something whacky.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in conference games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

• They have it right. If it's a 3 way tie the first tiebreaker is whoever has the best conference record (which is Minnesota).
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter

• thebanjodude wrote:They have it right. If it's a 3 way tie the first tiebreaker is whoever has the best conference record (which is Minnesota).

NOO! Its because ESPN is stupid.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• ESPN is smart.
    * NET Staff *

• It's because ESPN still has us as losing to Green Bay on MNF...
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• jkitsune wrote:They have it wrong. First tiebreaker is head to head.

Yup what he said Typical ESPN shit. I have grown to really dislike them over the last few years.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Now I'm confused
    Last edited by edogg23 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

• Told you guys, Tampa Bay will not win a wildcard, they just end up screwing the Seahawks over.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Is it a 3way tie?

+1

That's correct. I was confused on this too for a while. The three-way head to head is what confused me. But what you just mentioned is exactly right.

In this case, ESPN is wrong.

NFL.com has the correct seeding and current playoff picture, as was mentioned in another thread.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Who's right?
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• ESPN is wrong, NFL.com is right.

ESPN has the correct tie-breaking procedure written on their site (a replica of what's on NFL.com), however, they didn't seem to think it through before putting up their playoff seeds. Which makes sense, because they literally went up RIGHT after the Bucs game- in an effort to be the quickest, they completely failed at giving any sort of accuracy.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Just in case anyone is still confused.....

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
    Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

This does not apply, all 3 are still tied, move to step 2.

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Minnesota lost to both Tampa and Seattle and therefore are elminated. It is now a 2 way tie between Seattle and Tampa.

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.

Not applicable

Step 2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Seahawks are 4-4, Buccaneers are 3-4.

Seahawks get the 6th seed, ESPN is wrong.
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• There. Are. Six. More. Weeks. Of. Football. To. Play.

This is a complete non-story right now.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• edogg23 wrote:
    rainger wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:They have it wrong. First tiebreaker is head to head.

Yup what he said Typical ESPN shit. I have grown to really dislike them over the last few years.

Or read the thread and realize ESPN is right. :34853_doh:

Or maybe you need to study the process a bit further and realize they are not.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Well dammit, if only they would let us play the rest of our schedule we might have made it. At least there is always next year.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• OK now I really do hate ESPN.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• rainger wrote:

Either you cant read or your trolling
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    rainger wrote:

huh?
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    rainger wrote:

Trolling? :pukeface: :229031_banghead:
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• edogg23 wrote:
    rainger wrote:

Or read the thread and realize ESPN is right. :34853_doh:

No dude.. the media hates Seattle and clearly the media is keeping them out of the playoffs :mrgreen:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:[quote="edogg23Or read the thread and realize ESPN is right. :34853_doh:

No dude.. the media hates Seattle and clearly the media is keeping them out of the playoffs :mrgreen:[/quote]

Has nothing to do with your over generalization. My comment had nothing to do with media hate or over reaction. ESPN is now bigger in dollars than the NFL. They have become gods in their own mind.

For those who actually look at their reporting and watching the trends of this organization they will see that ESPN is trying to tell the world what is what with everything to do with sport. You can have your man crush on them.

All I said was I was I have really grown to dislike them. Why the hell am I not alowed my opinion and likes and dislikes without you telling me I am "WRONG"???
    Last edited by rainger on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Always just check out NFL.com for things like this. They will have the right info on there.

Seahawks are #6 seed as of today.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• HawkFan72 wrote:Always just check out NFL.com for things like this. They will have the right info on there.

Phew! Thank goodness for that. I was worried we were out of playoff contention there for a minute...

Wait, I just remembered, this whole thread is completely pointless and the playoff standings right now are meaningless.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I am just curious if ESPN will fix it not.
    bellyfat
    NET Starter

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Always just check out NFL.com for things like this. They will have the right info on there.

Phew! Thank goodness for that. I was worried we were out of playoff contention there for a minute...

Wait, I just remembered, this whole thread is completely pointless and the playoff standings right now are meaningless.

Good point, I'd rather be 1-9 so we wouldn't have to deal with these stupid threads.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

HawkFan72 wrote:Always just check out NFL.com for things like this. They will have the right info on there.

We get it, you don't like this thread.

In my opinion, though, it's good to keep a beat on playoff seeds, now that we are working our way into Week 12. It makes things much more interesting to keep track of at this point. True, it may not matter too much right now, as a lot can (and will) change before the end of Week 17. But I guarantee you will not simply ignore the next 5 weeks, and I challenge you to not take a look at the playoff picture until we finish our last game of the season against the Rams. Each week from here on out is important, and it's nice to know where we stand- even if it's not final.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• nategreat wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

We get it, you don't like this thread.

In my opinion, though, it's good to keep a beat on playoff seeds, now that we are working our way into Week 12. It makes things much more interesting to keep track of at this point. True, it may not matter too much right now, as a lot can (and will) change before the end of Week 17. But I guarantee you will not simply ignore the next 5 weeks, and I challenge you to not take a look at the playoff picture until we finish our last game of the season against the Rams. Each week from here on out is important, and it's nice to know where we stand- even if it's not final.

He was just joking. everyone got it except you. at least that will be the story.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• This from CBS sports:

Seattle and Tampa Bay are ahead of Minnesota based on head to head sweep (2-0). Seattle is ahead of Tampa Bay based on conference record (4-4 to the Buccaneers' 3-4).

Nuf said for all you ESPN junkies. Go look at ESPN's own made up system for grading QB's. (no, no one else especaily the NFL knew what was right, they needed to created their own system).

According to them Jake Locker is the 7th best QB in football and RW is only the 18th. GIVE ME A BREAk. You can make what ever stats you want to justifiy your opinion especially when they are as subjective as the opinions of the ESPN writers.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• ESPN still has our record at 5-5. And begrudgingly at that.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

So did we ever make the playoffs or not? I got lost in here somehow.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• 400WattHPSHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

So did we ever make the playoffs or not? I got lost in here somehow.

Nope, but at least we got a top 5 pick in the draft. (though apparently we lost 2 double secret rolls for position knocking us back from pick 3). Suck for Luck, suck for Luck, suck for Luck!!! Yay.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information