"Getting better all the time" by Pete and John

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at the Hawks 2010, 2011 and 2012 losses from a points differential and it's pretty amazing the progress that this team had made. I am impressed.

The nine losses in 2010 (in order) were by -17, -17, -30, -34, -15, -18, -19, -16 and -23 points... all nine were double-digit losses... most by 2 TDs or more.

The nine losses in 2011 (also in order) were by -16, -24, -2, -3, -22, -10, -6, -2, and -3 points.

The four losses this year (also in order) have been by -4, -6, -7 and -4 points.

All of the Hawks last 7 losses have been by one TD or less... the point being, all those games were in reach of a "W".

Also, the Hawks have not lost by double digits since the -10 point loss to the Cowboys in Dallas on November 6, 2011... now more than a year ago.

Pretty damn impressive I'd say!

Cheers, brothers. :th2thumbs:
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why people freaking out about PC being on the hot seat come next year was so irritating to the rest of us.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I remember the point differential of points-for/points-against went up about 100 points from 2010 to 2011. It will be interesting to see what it is this year.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• That 2009 team they took over for was the worst personnel group in the NFL...it was an old slow team that was soft. We now have a young, fast, and physical team who have all bought in...no one has done a better job over the last 3 years.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:That 2009 team they took over for was the worst personnel group in the NFL...it was an old slow team that was soft. We now have a young, fast, and physical team who have all bought in...no one has done a better job over the last 3 years.

Yep!
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I was doing the math on this earlier while thinking up a response to the difference in the Hawks on the road vs home. They are better at home because they are a better team period. I think it came down to a loss margin of 5.25 points on average with an average win margin of 10.3 points. To add, in the last 5 games, the Hawks are scoring 22+ points a game and that includes the defensive struggle in SF in which defense was the key.

Those road losses are slowly becoming wins and I mean consistently. Wilson has learned a lot very quickly and is just having a big year of progression. The ceiling is very high for him in that he still hasn't had to take a game over. This is really cool to see develop.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Sarlacc83 wrote:And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why people freaking out about PC being on the hot seat come next year was so irritating to the rest of us.

He's made alot of progress, but if this team finishes sub .500 this year I truly believe he is on the hot seat. Do I personally endorse that? no. I think he's earned atleast a couple more years, based on what we're seeing. I'm currently very impressed, but this nfl is a win NOW league.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why people freaking out about PC being on the hot seat come next year was so irritating to the rest of us.

He's made alot of progress, but if this team finishes sub .500 this year I truly believe he is on the hot seat. Do I personally endorse that? no. I think he's earned atleast a couple more years, based on what we're seeing. I'm currently very impressed, but this nfl is a win NOW league.

If we ended up sub .500 this year it would truly be the biggest fluke ive ever seen. What could we possibly gain by sacking Pete? We would be stuck with a team formatted for Pete's tendencies and plays. A new coach would likely want to make tons of changes to implement his own strategies. This means waiting MULTIPLE years for another rehaul. I dont know about you but I dont want to wait mutiple years longer to win. Im with Pete in the long run.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    bellingerga wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why people freaking out about PC being on the hot seat come next year was so irritating to the rest of us.

If we ended up sub .500 this year it would truly be the biggest fluke ive ever seen. What could we possibly gain by sacking Pete? We would be stuck with a team formatted for Pete's tendencies and plays. A new coach would likely want to make tons of changes to implement his own strategies. This means waiting MULTIPLE years for another rehaul. I dont know about you but I dont want to wait mutiple years longer to win. Im with Pete in the long run.

Also take into account that Paul Allen gets along with Pete really well. They have a "song of the day" battle every week on twitter. Pete is Paul's guy, he's going to get at least the 5 years on his contract baring a giant collapse next year going like 2-14 or something.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• thank you anygivensunday for another reason to love this team. those stats are AWESOME! We are witness to the birth of something VERY special. I truely feel this will be the greatest Seahawk team ever and we will be celebrating Super Bowl victories in the future! Omg! this place (.net) will be crazy when it finally happens!
    GO HAWKS!
    GO SEAHAWKS.NET!
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:That 2009 team they took over for was the worst personnel group in the NFL...it was an old slow team that was soft.......

Timmmmmmmaaaaaaaay!!!
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I said during one of the pre-season "predict our record" threads that I didn't really care about the overall record this year so long as the guys showed up to play every week, were competitive in every game and never mailed one in. I felt then that ss long as those criteria were met, the wins would eventually come. That being said, I think my official prediction was to go 14-2 because I'm an eternal optimist (feel free to read "shithead" if you're an eternal pessimist).

The research above (as well as the all important eye test) shows that we are definately staying competitive in all our games. The wins have come at home and if we remain true to the vision, the wins on the road will start to come as well. We're very close now. Fun time to be a hawks fan. :)
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• CANHawk wrote: The wins have come at home and if we remain true to the vision, the wins on the road will start to come as well. We're very close now. Fun time to be a hawks fan. :)

Fun side note:

We've already won more games at home this season than we did in all of last season.

If we win the Miami and Chicago games, we'll have tied our last season road record with one to go.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:

Sub .500? As in the Hawks go 1-5 in the last six games? Jacksonville has a better chance of going 5-1 than the Hawks do of going 1-5.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• The only way Pete stops coaching this team before the end of the five year deal is if Paul offers him something more "interesting" i.e. what if Pete became president of football operations, and they hired Chip Kelly as head coach? Or something similarly interesting? Jon Gruden as head coach, with Pete as the boss of both Gruden and Schneider?

Just saying... if there was someone out there with serious, serious, credibility and intensity and positive energy, and five or ten years younger, Pete is the kind of guy who probably could successfully work with someone like that as the head coach, and go into a position where he's involved at a higher level for the entire organization, not just working with players.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• BocciHawk wrote:The only way Pete stops coaching this team before the end of the five year deal is if Paul offers him something more "interesting" i.e. what if Pete became president of football operations, and they hired Chip Kelly as head coach? Or something similarly interesting? Jon Gruden as head coach, with Pete as the boss of both Gruden and Schneider?

Just saying... if there was someone out there with serious, serious, credibility and intensity and positive energy, and five or ten years younger, Pete is the kind of guy who probably could successfully work with someone like that as the head coach, and go into a position where he's involved at a higher level for the entire organization, not just working with players.

I could see something like that being Pete's "retirement plan", but I also see Pete as the kind of cat who won't even be interested in retirement until well into his 70's. Either way though, I don't see Pete putting down his whistle until he's accomplished what he set out to accomplish in the NFL and that's to win a championship his way. But knowing Pete and his desire to compete, he probably won't rest until he wins 3.

But after that... sure, why not. But I see the next HC in that kind of scenario coming from within the Family. If not someone like Gus Bradley or Tom Cable who are already in the system, then somebody like Sark or Lane Kiffen who came from the system. Chip Kelly and John Gruden are too far removed from the Pete Carroll system IMO. Pete Carroll seems to me like the kind of guy who's going to end up having his own huge branch on the overall coaching tree when it's all said and done. Maybe not quite like Parcells or Walsh (who are practically the trunk of the overall modern coaching tree), but like Holmgren or Tony Dungy. To graft on guys from other branches seems out of character.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Well, it's all hypothetical, but Pete strikes me as the kind of guy that likes to learn and be exposed to new things, new ideas... it's part of how he stays young at heart. I think he'd be really excited to work with a really excellent head coach that came at things from a similar overall perspective, but had slightly different nuts and bolts.

Just guessing.

I do like your scenarios too though, obviously there's the possibility of promoting from within, and having Pete stay around as "coach emeritus".

I also do agree that I see him being involved with football for many years.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    CANHawk wrote: The wins have come at home and if we remain true to the vision, the wins on the road will start to come as well. We're very close now. Fun time to be a hawks fan. :)

Fun side note:

We've already won more games at home this season than we did in all of last season.

If we win the Miami and Chicago games, we'll have tied our last season road record with one to go.

If we win the Miami game, we'll also have matched our overall win record from last year with 5 games left to go.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• We had a lot of road games early in the year against good defenses and still barely lost. All the while Wilson has just been getting better and better. With the progress he's made and chemistry developing, I see no reason why we can't sweep our second half schedule. Is it likely? No. Can you simply dismiss the possibility? I don't think you can anymore.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• I have no way of knowing, but I suspect when Pete eventually leaves coaching he'll simply devote more time to A Better LA, A Better Seattle and Win Forever.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Sub .500? As in the Hawks go 1-5 in the last six games? Jacksonville has a better chance of going 5-1 than the Hawks do of going 1-5.

Hence why PC will not be on the hot seat in 2013.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• CANHawk wrote:I could see something like that being Pete's "retirement plan", but I also see Pete as the kind of cat who won't even be interested in retirement until well into his 70's. Either way though, I don't see Pete putting down his whistle until he's accomplished what he set out to accomplish in the NFL and that's to win a championship his way. But knowing Pete and his desire to compete, he probably won't rest until he wins 3.

But after that... sure, why not. But I see the next HC in that kind of scenario coming from within the Family. If not someone like Gus Bradley or Tom Cable who are already in the system, then somebody like Sark or Lane Kiffen who came from the system. Chip Kelly and John Gruden are too far removed from the Pete Carroll system IMO. Pete Carroll seems to me like the kind of guy who's going to end up having his own huge branch on the overall coaching tree when it's all said and done. Maybe not quite like Parcells or Walsh (who are practically the trunk of the overall modern coaching tree), but like Holmgren or Tony Dungy. To graft on guys from other branches seems out of character.

Agreed. Pete's been wanting to be exactly where he is for sooooo long. His plan is right on schedule with the progress he expected. He wants to see it through and he's just getting the ball rolling. Maybe after he hoists the Lombardi, then we might see one of his guys take over the sideline part of the job. Pete's philosophy is to promote from within, as stated in his book. BTW, I was re-listening to it yesterday and love this quote from him (recently after being hired by Paul Allen): "To have the ability to make decisions, be innovative, and work with what will be known as the best front office in football, is the perfect fit for my personality." -- PC, "Win Forever", disc 4, track 11. That is so freakin' cool.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:

Win Now? Are you so sure that you know what Paul Allen will consider as measures of success, or failure ESPECIALLY when he's seeing a Rookie Quarterback having such huge success out of the gate?, I sure as hell ain't.

The fact that the loss numbers are on the decline, and by much fewer points in the boot, Allen knows that his Seahawks are trending nicely.

Both sides of the ball have undergone some big growth patterns, and that is why I believe Paul Allen will consider keeping Pete, as well as John, and the rest of the coaching staff in place.
    I believe he knows that jumping around would only take everything back to square one....He'll stay with what's working, even if there were to be some small setbacks, because it's trending the right direction, , just my 2 cents.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:
    bellingerga wrote:

Win Now? Are you so sure that you know what Paul Allen will consider as measures of success, or failure ESPECIALLY when he's seeing a Rookie Quarterback having such huge success out of the gate?, I sure as hell ain't.

The fact that the loss numbers are on the decline, and by much fewer points in the boot, Allen knows that his Seahawks are trending nicely.

Both sides of the ball have undergone some big growth patterns, and that is why I believe Paul Allen will consider keeping Pete, as well as John, and the rest of the coaching staff in place.
    I believe he knows that jumping around would only take everything back to square one....He'll stay with what's working, even if there were to be some small setbacks, because it's trending the right direction, , just my 2 cents.

I agree with everything you said, except for your use of the word "consider." I believe his decision to hire Pete and John has only been confirmed, and is stronger as time goes on. At this point, there is no way he would even consider the possibility of moving on from either one of them. Something major would have to change first.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information