Washington @ Colorado

kearly

Reaction score
jkitsune":3rq7bzj4 said:
Kearly - I've been thinking the same thing about KP's performance. He was inaccurate all night, and many of his TDs were either swing passes or inaccurate throws hauled in by good receivers. He had a great game statistically, and he generally made sound decisions, but I did not think he looked particularly good tonight. I was hesitant to bring it up since I figured I'd get lambasted for being so picky when the dude throws 5 TDs.

Col is bad, but I'm glad they're in the pac-12. Every other team in the nation gets to pad its stats with cupcake games, why shouldn't we?

How is Kasen Williams over-rated? The guy has been a very good receiver this year, a good downfield blocker, has struggled at times with drops, but has also been a big-play option in many games where ASJ was conspicuously absent. ASJ is the overall better player, but for a true sophomore, I'm perfectly satisfied with KW's performance (even if I wish he were a true superstar like ASJ). Mickens is a true freshman. ASJ is a true sophomore. This is a really young group of pass-catchers, and yeah, we need to bring in more talented young pass-catchers, but I would not at all be surprised to see Mickens and Williams perform much better next year. I seem to recall that Kearse wasn't always such a hot receiver, either.

Additionally, how much is Williams' production limited by the lack of pass protection along the UW line? And KP's bailing on the pocket even when not under pressure? I think it was you that advocated for giving KP some more of the benefit of the doubt until the line solidifies, but doesn't the same apply equally to deep threat wideouts if the deep passing game has been eliminated from the playbook?

Kasen Williams is a very complete WR, I'll give you that. He had an awesome block IIRC on Sankey's big run, and he's always been a good blocker. I just don't get stars in my eyes when I watch him though. He's not great at getting open, his YAC is underwhelming, and while he does have good hands, he doesn't earn targets despite a dearth of competition in the WR corps. He's got physical talent and upside, but as a contributor he's been very ordinary, and frankly disappointing for a guy that's supposed to be UW's #1 WR. He had just 427 yards last season and only 620 so far this year. And it's not for a lack of throwing the ball. He's just not drawing very many targets- it's a huge reason why ASJ already owns the school reception record for TEs in less than two full seasons. It's kind of like Vernon Davis in SF, if your best receiver is a TE, it usually speaks to the quality of your WR corps.

Kearse didn't have good hands, but he did produce. His yards per catch was much higher than Williams, and he earned significantly more targets.

I hope I'm not coming across as "ripping" Williams, I just think that he's an "okay" receiver that's labeled a #1 and that's off the mark. And sadly, he's the only WR we currently have that I'd even call "okay" at this point. The rest of the group is pretty bad. And this is coming from someone that never blasted the Seahawks WR group when almost everyone else was. I'm generally pretty lenient with WRs. But this group is holding back the offense and Price, IMO. Too often he's looked and looked and looked and had to throw the ball away this season. The horrific pass blocking at the beginning of the season kind of masked that problem, but now that it's gotten better and the opposing pass rushes have gotten worse, it's becoming clearer that Price's problems went beyond his protection.

Price did have some bad throws today. He's part of this equation too. He hasn't been himself this season. That said, I think the dropoff in supporting cast from 2011 to 2012 could probably explain a lot of it. Price is at his best when he has a lot of options to throw at, and this year it's been ASJ or bust.

canzag

Reaction score
The Dawgs could end up 9-4.With most of the team coming back.I think they lose one starter on offense and 3 on D.Add the Alabama transfer to replace Trufant a healthy James Johnson(I think Price has really missed him) and another solid recruting class things could be looking better.Plus Shaq Thompson is a stud.Does he end up at LB when he is done or stay at safety?Great young ball player.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":g793b1t6 said:
I know Washington has at least one really good receiver coming in next year in STringfellow.

Thanks. After looking it up, they also have a commit from Darrell Daniels, who's 6'2" or 6'3" and 210 pounds. Was said to be the "best WR in the west" for 2013, which is kind of weird since Stringfellow is also from the western US, same state even (California). Watched his HS tape and Daniels looks pretty dominating physically. Not saying he had NFL speed but he was basically the biggest guy on the field and outran everybody.

That's great news. Frankly, I never understood why a lot of teams recruit 3 deep at QB or RB but not at WR. WR is the one area it makes a ton of sense to recruit too many players. Maybe there just aren't a lot of blue chip WRs around?