Keep Jason Jones!

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Keep Jason Jones!
Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 am
  • Starting the wagon up early on this one.

He's done well IMO as the situational DT on obvious passing downs, and he's been Clem's & Irvin's best friend.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Re: Keep Jason Jones!
Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 am
  • Depends on what he's looking for. If it's another one year deal, sure. Injuries have been a bit of a problem for him but at the same time we've seen the defense dip to 2011 levels in terms of pass rush and production whenever he's not in there, so he's clearly valuable. I'd be fine with 2 years/8 mil but I don't know how much further I'd be willing to go. That's just me though.

Also, if Greg Scruggs keeps developing and shows the staff that he might be Jones 2.0 by next season, then I think Jones' chances of staying with the team decrease.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 am
  • It will be interesting to see what happens with him. He had to have gotten offers with more than one year on the deal last offseason IMO, but he wanted to have a breakout year in order to cash in. That hasn't exactly worked out due to injuries, so I'm hoping we can re-sign him for about 4 a year. Who knows, though.
    MeenReen
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 am
  • I agree!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 am
  • NYCoug wrote:Depends on what he's looking for. If it's another one year deal, sure. Injuries have been a bit of a problem for him but at the same time we've seen the defense dip to 2011 levels in terms of pass rush and production whenever he's not in there, so he's clearly valuable. I'd be fine with 2 years/8 mil but I don't know how much further I'd be willing to go. That's just me though.

Also, if Greg Scruggs keeps developing and shows the staff that he might be Jones 2.0 by next season, then I think Jones' chances of staying with the team decrease.

He is going to want more than a one-year deal.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:Depends on what he's looking for. If it's another one year deal, sure. Injuries have been a bit of a problem for him but at the same time we've seen the defense dip to 2011 levels in terms of pass rush and production whenever he's not in there, so he's clearly valuable. I'd be fine with 2 years/8 mil but I don't know how much further I'd be willing to go. That's just me though.

If the price is right, I think he's worth a three year deal. He's only 26. Obviously his price should be a little lower given his injury history, but man, he's a force.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:Depends on what he's looking for. If it's another one year deal, sure. Injuries have been a bit of a problem for him but at the same time we've seen the defense dip to 2011 levels in terms of pass rush and production whenever he's not in there, so he's clearly valuable. I'd be fine with 2 years/8 mil but I don't know how much further I'd be willing to go. That's just me though.

If the price is right, I think he's worth a three year deal. He's only 26. Obviously his price should be a little lower given his injury history, but man, he's a force.

Agreed.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:20 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:

Of course. However, if he keeps getting dinged up then he won't really have much of a say in the matter. He might want to give another 1 year deal a shot to see if he can increase his value on the open market. That being said, I think you're right and ultimately he'll get more than a 1 year deal.

I'm torn on whether or not I'd go 3 years. Remember, Branch is an FA too and then you've got all the guys in the secondary coming up for extension, the FO is going to have to pick their battles if you will. I feel that Branch is easier to replace through the draft and guys like Jones don't grow on trees. Big question for me at least is if Jones can continue to stay healthy.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:25 am
  • NYCoug wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

Of course. However, if he keeps getting dinged up then he won't really have much of a say in the matter. He might want to give another 1 year deal a shot to see if he can increase his value on the open market. That being said, I think you're right and ultimately he'll get more than a 1 year deal.

I'm torn on whether or not I'd go 3 years. Remember, Branch is an FA too and then you've got all the guys in the secondary coming up for extension, the FO is going to have to pick their battles if you will. I feel that Branch is easier to replace through the draft and guys like Jones don't grow on trees. Big question for me at least is if Jones can continue to stay healthy.

Dinged up vs "always hurt" - huge difference. He's only missed 2 games.

Someone will offer him a multiple-year deal. I hope it's us - there is a big difference in our defense with him playing.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Dinged up vs "always hurt" - huge difference. He's only missed 2 games.

Someone will offer him a multiple-year deal. I hope it's us - there is a big difference in our defense with him playing.

Very true. Good points. I like him and think he's a versatile guy that makes others around him better, but I'm just wondering what the financial/years commitment would have to look like to keep him around and whether it'd be worth it to keep him or save the money for other contracts that are coming up. It's probably going to come down to Jones or Branch, in which case I'd go with Jones.
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:17 pm
  • I'm willing to offer him a three year deal. I'll call JS later today.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:18 pm
  • I'd easily offer 3 years with good value, I think he's THAT good.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:24 pm
  • NYCoug wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

You're placing your entire reluctance on the issue of health, but this is a front office that has gambled with injury quite often. Walter Thurmond, Leon Washington, and Sidney Rice, were all known for getting frequently nicked-up, but Seattle acquired them, expensively so in the case of Rice. I think Pete will go for Jones. We have the depth and potential at defensive tackle to withstand the occasional injury.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm
  • I could see them picking up Jones. I wonder if they are still high on Branch or have the younguns shown enough where they are confident in letting him go? McDonald was an ERFA last season and I am thinking they only tendered a qualifying offer for this season?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:42 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:You're placing your entire reluctance on the issue of health, but this is a front office that has gambled with injury quite often. Walter Thurmond, Leon Washington, and Sidney Rice, were all known for getting frequently nicked-up, but Seattle acquired them, expensively so in the case of Rice. I think Pete will go for Jones. We have the depth and potential at defensive tackle to withstand the occasional injury.

True, all good points that you bring to the table. I'm not against bringing back Jones, no, I think he's a very strong player in this defense. Just wondering how much he'll command and whether or not he'll be worth it, that's all.
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:58 pm
  • I've been on the Jones-Wagon since before he got here and have been totally impressed with him ever since, so totally put me down for a big "hell yeah" in regards to keeping Jason Jones. Dude's a pimp.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:05 pm
  • no duh.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:05 pm
  • We need him, or someone very like him active on game days. I'm assuming they'll make him some kind of offer in their "try to keep your own guys first" mentality. It makes sense; the devil you know is better than one you don't. They've had time to see his strengths and weaknesses, and I'm sure they're scouring the market to see who is out there that might be better, be he another Vet or a college kid likely to be drafted. Pass rushing DTs can be difficult to find sometimes. IIRC, it was kind of a fluke that JJ fell into our laps when he did.

In P&S I trust.

:229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:00 am
  • He's a BUST!!
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:32 am
  • Remember we are trying to push the green bay philosophy here guys. Form a winning club and have guys re-sign here for cheaper than they would elsewhere because they want to be part of a winning ball club. Your going to see most of those guys back. No doubt in my mind
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 am
  • Can't help it, I look at that header and see Keep Mason Jars.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 pm
  • So you guys have convinced me. After a few Guinness' and some Jameson, I thought about Jason Jones and what you guys have said in this thread, especially Montana. Here's the reasons why I feel Jones is a lock to get an extension of AT LEAST 3 years after this season.

1) If Jason Jones was a comic book character, his name would be "Metronome Jones." The guy is the pulse of the Seahawks defense, in my opinion. The pressure he creates up the middle allows Clemons and Irvin to do their thing, which then allows the secondary to do their thing in turn. For years we struggled to create pressure up the middle, we finally found someone who can do it, gotta keep him. He is the missing piece of the puzzle. "Jigsaw" Jones if you will.

2) Continuity.

3) We've seen the Hawks reward "their guys" after solid play. We saw it with Bryant, Beast Mode, Clem, etc. I think Carroll and company realize how valuable Jones is to the defense and will not want to risk losing him.

Thanks for helping me see the light!
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 pm
  • There are still 6 more regular season games. Finishing the season strong is a requisite.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:38 pm
  • I am Suppaball and I approve this message. :49ersmall: :ramssmall-2: :tardssmall: :nonodallas:
    We need a
    'Go Hawks!" smile.
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information