This defense will destroy Ryan Tannehill

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
This defense will destroy Ryan Tannehill
Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:17 pm
  • Based on what I've just seen this Seahawks defense (in particular Richard Sherman and co. in the #LEGIONOFBOOM) is fully capable of being the straw that breaks the camel's back and sending Ryan Tannehill into a full-on shell-shocked David Carr-esque career failure.

The Buffalo Bills were 31st in total defense coming in and handled him thoroughly. I recognize he lacks weapons, but who knows if his confidence will survive long enough for him to get them.

I for one can't wait.
    Last edited by PGunning101 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Pete Carroll + John Schneider = Always Compete
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie

• Tannehill has some potential, believe he will be okay in the NFL, but he ain't no Russell Wilson. I expect Bruce Irvin to eat him for lunch.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

• Please take all of this back, when you are overconfident with the hawks, you get burned most of the time.
    See: @Rams. @Cardinals. @Lions

Its all bad juju and we must anti jynx!!
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tannehill's going down. So's Fitzpatrick.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• KitsapHawk wrote:Please take all of this back, when you are overconfident with the hawks, you get burned most of the time.

I also predicted we would make Sanchez and Tebow wish they never got on a plane, if it makes you feel any better.
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie

• PGunning101 wrote:
    KitsapHawk wrote:Please take all of this back, when you are overconfident with the hawks, you get burned most of the time.

I also predicted we would make Sanchez and Tebow wish they never got on a plane, if it makes you feel any better.

Are you kidding? Tebow had a 100% completion percentage against us! 3/3! He is the kryptonite to this Seahawk defense! :sarcasm_off:
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• For 8 yards...
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie

• If we lose to the gawddam awful Dolphins in Miami than I'm not sure how any of us can think we deserve a playoff spot.

We better beat that team in a week, road woes be damned.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• There is a high probability that the odds-makers will give the Hawks the advantage in Miami. However, those 10 am starts seem to be our "weak link". We are going to have to start fast and keep our boot on their neck.....through the 4th quarter.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I tend to agree. ANy given Sunday but this will be our first rookie QB of the season..I expect him to throw no more than 1 TD and have no less than 2 turnovers. Who's the worst QB we've faced thus far? Alex Smith? Skelton? I neither threw for 200 yards or looked very good. Tannehill is probably on pace with those guys at this point.

I think his sore knee is effecting him more than most people know. He looked much better in the first quarter of the season.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• The Dolphins are the opposite of the Seahawks... They have a better win % on the road than they do at home. Visiting teams usually get the win in Miami. See 2010, 6 of their 7 wins came on the road.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• I hope Pete is telling our entire Dline to get their hands up. Tannehill's release is the NFL equivalent of a knuckleball. If our defense doesn't turn him into a batted ball machine, they failed.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I'm throwing caution to the wind. I believe that we will beat Miami. If we don't than we clearly aren't as far along as we thought.

We are a better team. Being on the road, maybe it isn't a blowout, but a blowout wouldn't surprise me.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:I hope Pete is telling our entire Dline to get their hands up. Tannehill's release is the NFL equivalent of a knuckleball. If our defense doesn't turn him into a batted ball machine, they failed.

THIS.

Noticed this right off the bat last night. Trannyhill's release is going to be his undoing. Also, he holds the ball way too long and doesn't have the elusiveness of Wilson or RG3 to extend plays. The pass rush should bury him, and We should be able to pick him off a few times.

Honestly, that was a sorry display from Miami against a not-very-good Bills team. Todd's right, if we lose to Miami, then we need to understand that we're still an average team who's not ready for a playoff run yet. No excuse not to pummel that team, 10am road game or not.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Same issues we saw in college for Tannehill. Way too many batted balls - even considering his low release point, he has far too many tipped passes. He's good for 2-3 really bad decisions in a game that often lead to picks. His supporting cast in Miami is abysmal but he's still thrown just 6 touchdowns in ten starts compared to 11 interceptions.

Pressure unsurpsisingly is the key because he isn't used to it. Texas A&M has the best offensive line in college football outside of Alabama. He was virtually untouched in 2011. And he still made bizarre mistakes (see: Oklahoma/Texas games). Now in Miami the Dolphins can't keep him clean and it's foreign to Tannehill. Despite being a pretty good athlete, he doesn't really extend plays. He'll panic and just unload when pressed. Inside pressure looks like his biggest enemy. I'd consider playing Jason Jones on more early downs. I'd also put Bruce in more often on first down too if we get ahead early. I think we'll handle this game pretty comfortably if we get a ten point lead and play conservative offense.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Same issues we saw in college for Tannehill. Way too many batted balls - even considering his low release point, he has far too many tipped passes. He's good for 2-3 really bad decisions in a game that often lead to picks. His supporting cast in Miami is abysmal but he's still thrown just 6 touchdowns in ten starts compared to 11 interceptions.

Pressure unsurpsisingly is the key because he isn't used to it. Texas A&M has the best offensive line in college football outside of Alabama. He was virtually untouched in 2011. And he still made bizarre mistakes (see: Oklahoma/Texas games). Now in Miami the Dolphins can't keep him clean and it's foreign to Tannehill. Despite being a pretty good athlete, he doesn't really extend plays. He'll panic and just unload when pressed. Inside pressure looks like his biggest enemy. I'd consider playing Jason Jones on more early downs. I'd also put Bruce in more often on first down too if we get ahead early. I think we'll handle this game pretty comfortably if we get a ten point lead and play conservative offense.

Would you agree that he was just drafted way too high? He only recently started playing QB, and would probably have benefited from a couple of years on the bench developing. He looks to have some upside for sure, but his floor is pretty low. I think the mistake was taking him that high and expecting him to start right away. I mean, I'm glad I was sorta right about him and didn't buy in to the early-season hype, but he's definitely a talented athlete and could be an effective starter in the NFL. Sadly, I think he'll take too much of a knock to his confidence this season and next and will fade into the mists of obscurity after that.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I watched that entire game last night and if we do not beat Miami handily we deserve [and will get] nothing this year. They are god awful on offense. Should be similar to the Jets game where they don't move the ball or score.

No excuses on road game, 10am or any of that. Hawks have 2 full weeks to prepare for that inept offense. All they have to do is play their game with intensity and we win going away.

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

• I'm pretty sure the D will give the entire Dollfin offense fits, frustration and lots of bruises. As for the Hawks offense, they should be able to come in running the ball and throwing well. Move the chains and good in the end zone.

At the end of the day I look for a three score difference in favor of the hawks.

Yup!
    Win Forever!

Bigger, Stronger, Faster, Younger - BETTER!!!!
    GOSeahawks
    NET Rookie

• KitsapHawk wrote:Please take all of this back, when you are overconfident with the hawks, you get burned most of the time.

It's not overconfidence if it's correct, and jinxes aren't real in any case.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• Until we start playing D on 3rd down and winning games on the road, I can't see any reason to be over-confident.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Until we start playing D on 3rd down and winning games on the road, I can't see any reason to be over-confident.

We played pretty good 3rd down D against the Vikings and the Jets. Also, Miami were dreadful on 3rd down last night.

Put it this way, if the Seahawks are who we think they are, they should drub Miami easily. If we don't win that game, then we aren't who we thought we were.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Hopefully the back to back home games and the bye week will erase all the bad vibes from the road games earlier in the season. The team can realistically look at this like a fresh start of sorts. It's the first road game of the second half of the season. The first half of the season was dotted with an inability to close teams out but we've seen that that hasn't been a problem against Minnesota and the Jets. The Seahawks pride themselves on finishing strong, now's the time to do it on the road and at 10am too! Personally, I can't wait for the challenge, I think the Hawks will drub the Dolphins and Tannehill in the process.

With regards to Tannehill, I don't see the hype. kearly and English' assessments are spot-on. I honestly look forward to seeing Russell Wilson make him look like a chump by comparison.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Whoa whoa. I'm not expecting a blowout by any stretch. The Fins have a legitimate defense, and we're playing at 10am on the east coast. I'm not sure we're going to score enough points to blow them out. And say what you want about Tannehill, but he has had moments. Put on the tape of the Colts game. Kid is AWFULLY talented. Don't think it was a stretch of a pick at all.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• peachesenregalia wrote:Would you agree that he was just drafted way too high?

Yes definitely. For some reason, despite some fairly mediocre play last year, he suddenly became a first round lock. This is a guy who had one full year as a starting quarterback, playing on a good Texas A&M roster and one of the best lines in CFB. He wouldn't be able to beat Alabama like the current QB at A&M. And yet he's drafted #8 overall and starting in week one in the NFL.

I guess it's another example of teams over rating size, speed at the QB position. He wasn't a poised, accurate passer. He flashed hot and cold, but had serious mechanical issues. For me he should've been a second round pick, benched for a year or two as you say Peaches and then brought along slowly. Plus, he has the upside of being a WR/TE option on some plays. But throwing him in like this, with a bad supporting cast, I don't get it. And he better hope Mike Sherman sticks around as offensive coordinator.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:Whoa whoa. I'm not expecting a blowout by any stretch. The Fins have a legitimate defense, and we're playing at 10am on the east coast. I'm not sure we're going to score enough points to blow them out. And say what you want about Tannehill, but he has had moments. Put on the tape of the Colts game. Kid is AWFULLY talented. Don't think it was a stretch of a pick at all.

Coming off a 37-3 trouncing at the hands of the Titans, at home and then a 19-14 loss at Buffalo where they threw the game away, it appears that the Dolphins are trending downwards at the moment. Meanwhile, the Hawks will be coming off a much needed bye week following two strong victories with a playoff push in reach.

I believe the guys get it done, comfortably, but I can definitely see why you'd have some concern with the way the team's played on the road so far this season.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Guys it's a 10am not matter who the team is we have always struggled at 10am
    On twitter @Blazenhawks

New Era of Seahawks football Starts Now!!!!
    Blazenhawks
    NET Starter

• Blazenhawks wrote:Guys it's a 10am not matter who the team is we have always struggled at 10am

Well, we've got to get over the hump sooner or later. If the one thing that holds us back from ever winning a Super Bowl is 10am starts, well, I don't even want to think about that...

But it hasn't ALWAYS been the case. One of my greatest days as a Seahawks fan came last season when I got to watch the Seahawks beat the Giants at the new Meadowlands in a 10am game. If they could do it then, they can do it now.
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Blazenhawks wrote:Guys it's a 10am not matter who the team is we have always struggled at 10am

bleh..... sick of hearing all this 10:00am , can't win on the road crap.. hawks are finally geling, our offense is getting in sinc, recievers and backs aren't displaying the dropsies nowhere near as much as before, the stupid penalties have been dramatically reduced last 4, 5 games.. all played a huge part in our losses on the road this year.... both those teams i watched last night are very bad... there is no way we should lose to either of those teams, at ten am, on the road or not... it's on... but as stated before, if we do, then we are not where we thought we were and have some work to do in the off season....
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• I'm talking about games on the ROAD, we gotta' get way better on 3rd downs on D.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• 10 am road games are always s challenge for us. Young teams like Miami are volatile and can over perform

I'm actually afraid to make any predictions on this game... we as easily the better team but an not sure we win
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:If we lose to the gawddam awful Dolphins in Miami than I'm not sure how any of us can think we deserve a playoff spot.

No doubt. If we drop this one, it falls under the category of "I'm just going to forget about the playoffs because we don't deserve to be in them."
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• This game is going to be just about as close of a game on a neutral field without it being so. That fan base has pretty much mailed it in. Mitch Leavy on 950AM this morning pretty much said that the Miami crowd are going dressed as "orange seats."
    "Make good teams look bad and make bad teams look terrible!" -Michael Robinson
    BlueTalons
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:If we lose to the gawddam awful Dolphins in Miami than I'm not sure how any of us can think we deserve a playoff spot.

Agreed. If we can't beat the Bills and the Dolphins then we don't belong in the playoffs this year.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

• If I was the Hawks, I would have switched everyone on the team to eastern time the Monday following the Jets game.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• No such thing as an easy win on the road, regardless who you play.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:Whoa whoa. I'm not expecting a blowout by any stretch. The Fins have a legitimate defense, and we're playing at 10am on the east coast. I'm not sure we're going to score enough points to blow them out. And say what you want about Tannehill, but he has had moments. Put on the tape of the Colts game. Kid is AWFULLY talented. Don't think it was a stretch of a pick at all.

Correction: Miami has a good run defense. Overall, they're #20 in the league, with a moderate #15 in scoring, and they're #28 in passing (by yards per game.) Wilson should have a good game against a bad secondary.

Also, the Colts are #15 against the pass (in yards), and Seattle is #4. I have a feeling that's going to negate Tannehill's talent. Sorry man, but I think you're reaching here.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Would you agree that he was just drafted way too high?

Yes definitely. For some reason, despite some fairly mediocre play last year, he suddenly became a first round lock. This is a guy who had one full year as a starting quarterback, playing on a good Texas A&M roster and one of the best lines in CFB. He wouldn't be able to beat Alabama like the current QB at A&M. And yet he's drafted #8 overall and starting in week one in the NFL.

I guess it's another example of teams over rating size, speed at the QB position. He wasn't a poised, accurate passer. He flashed hot and cold, but had serious mechanical issues. For me he should've been a second round pick, benched for a year or two as you say Peaches and then brought along slowly. Plus, he has the upside of being a WR/TE option on some plays. But throwing him in like this, with a bad supporting cast, I don't get it. And he better hope Mike Sherman sticks around as offensive coordinator.

At the risk of this thread being moved to the draft forum, I think the exact same thing is going to happen with Landry Jones.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• AbsolutNET wrote:No doubt. If we drop this one, it falls under the category of "I'm just going to forget about the playoffs because we don't deserve to be in them."

I'm dead serious. No excuse to lose to the Dolphins, even the Bills. If we do? There's not a person alive that will convince me otherwise that we're simply not as good as we think we are.

If we are as good as we think we are?

We beat both teams in their house. I'm not saying blowout. I'm not saying ANYTHING other than...We WIN THE GAME.

The Bears game I do not expect to win. If we do, that would be pure bonus and a good sign of how good we can be.

Losing to the Dolphins and Bills will say more to me about the state of this team than any other game played this year to-date.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:No doubt. If we drop this one, it falls under the category of "I'm just going to forget about the playoffs because we don't deserve to be in them."

I'm dead serious. No excuse to lose to the Dolphins, even the Bills. If we do? There's not a person alive that will convince me otherwise that we're simply not as good as we think we are.

If we are as good as we think we are?

We beat both teams in their house. I'm not saying blowout. I'm not saying ANYTHING other than...We WIN THE GAME.

The Bears game I do not expect to win. If we do, that would be pure bonus and a good sign of how good we can be.

Losing to the Dolphins and Bills will say more to me about the state of this team than any other game played this year to-date.

Totally agree with you, these are games we are the better team and we should win, we need to go out there and get it. There's no reason why we should lose to Miami they're playing terrible football right now.
    the ditch
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Todd pretty much ticked all the boxes. If we are who we think we are, The Dolphins and Bills should be wins for us. Same as with Carolina, and we won that one. The Lions are a very talented team, and that loss kinda stung because in the end it was the D who let us down, but it was still a close game and I thought the offense played very well on the road. The other three losses were divisional games, and most of you should know by now that you can toss the form book out the window when it comes to divisional games, especially on the road.

If we can't beat the Dolhpins and the Bills, regardless of kickoff time or location, then we're not what we thought we were.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• not sure why everyones so certain we're going to lose to the bears... ya it's at their house, but their offense is horrible, even with cutler... they rely on some of their scoring to come off takeaways, and the d scoring.. we don't turn the ball over or at least let the D score, no reason why we couldn't win that game as well... just not seeing why the bears are that much better than us... We have a better offense, and a top 5 defense...
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:not sure why everyones so certain we're going to lose to the bears... ya it's at their house, but their offense is horrible, even with cutler... they rely on some of their scoring to come off takeaways, and the d scoring.. we don't turn the ball over or at least let the D score, no reason why we couldn't win that game as well... just not seeing why the bears are that much better than us... We have a better offense, and a top 5 defense...

Agree, but it's a tough game on the road against a seemingly decent opponent, which is what we faced with the Lions and look how that turned out. CAN we beat the Bears? Of course we can, and were this at the CLink, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But with it being on the road, and immediately after a road game to boot, it just makes it a bit more....iffy.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• These types of games, where on paper we should kill our opponent, scare the hell out of me. Factor in its a 10am start game and Im very nervous.

Whatever happens, no matter if its 1 or 21 points, I just want another freaking road win. Luckily for me, I was in attendance for our only road win this year :D
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• the lions have a much better offense than the bears, but i hear what you're saying.. i'm not saying it's a definate win, but i'm damn sure not saying it's a definate loss... this team if it plays at it's max capabilities, no penalties, no dropsies, fumbles, can beat anybody, road or home, 10am or 1pm, doesn't matter.. JMO
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Until the Seahawks can prove otherwise, I'm sticking to my prediction that we win out at home and lose out on the road and finish 9-7.

I won't be surprised if we drop one at home and win one more on the road but that still keeps us at 9-7.

The Kool-Aid won't be in my house until we take care of the Dolphins and Bills on the road like ANY Top 10 team should do.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I'm sticking with 10-6 and a wildcard. 11-5 is a fair possibility, but I've been saying 10-6 all year and see no reason to back off from that.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Aros wrote:Until the Seahawks can prove otherwise, I'm sticking to my prediction that we win out at home and lose out on the road and finish 9-7.

I won't be surprised if we drop one at home and win one more on the road but that still keeps us at 9-7.

The Kool-Aid won't be in my house until we take care of the Dolphins and Bills on the road like ANY Top 10 team should do.

exactly, if we're a top team we will take care of business these next two weeks..
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

I kinda feel the same way. If we can't win there....that would be a flat out embarassment to me.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• This game will be a test on how disciplined this team is. Will they come out flat in a 10 AM road game after a long break? Will there be more penalties? Will Bradley continue to bring more than 4 on 3rd down? Will there be drops?

If we lose this game, it's going to be due to shooting ourselves in the foot, not so much from anything the Dolphins will do
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information