Are the Clink's jumbotrons too small?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Are the Clink's jumbotrons too small?
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:09 am
  • Before I start, yes, I know that what matters is the action on the field, not what happens on the video screens, yada yada yada.

But still, the news about the new giant screen going up at Safeco Field got me to thinking about the screens at Centurylink Field. I was a season ticket holder during the Seahawks first season there, and even then I remember being a little disappointed in the screens. My disappointment then wasn't so much the size of the screens--it was more about the less-than-ideal aspect ratios of the two screens. The screen above the Hawks Nest appears to be the old 4:3 standard definition ratio, and the screen above the south endzone is panoramic. Neither one of them is well suited to showing replays in 16:9 high definition format, and most of the replays they show are truncated and don't include all of the action that the folks at home are seeing on their HDTVs.

The problem is that those non-standard dimensions were dictated by the design of the stadium. It seems it would be impossible to make the north screen bigger without widening the Hawks Nest seating (and reducing the beautiful views of the city). The south screen would block seats if it was made taller, or suites if it was made wider.

Is there any room to improve the screens at the Clink? Does it matter?

http://seattletimes.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2019685106_post_59.html
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Re: Are the Clink's jumbotrons too small?
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:12 am
  • I see your point and I agree they could be better but frankly I'm so used to them and don't see them being a deterrent to the game day experience so unless Paul Allen wants it so, it's doubtful anything will be done.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am
  • Every time I go to a game, I think they're too small, and it'd be nice to have larger ones for watching replays. Just my two cents.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am
  • They basically screwed up by putting in the vertical screen above the Hawks Nest. Really limits what they can do. The vertical screen is pointless because video isn't meant to be viewed that way and it screws up how they can show replays.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:54 am
  • Yes. Very much so. Already antiquated.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 pm
  • Maybe Paul Allen can use the money from his record sales to fund an upgrade. Or if that's not enough he could always start a Kickstarter campaign.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm
  • The stadium is ten years old already. It could stand a few upgrades, IMO.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:57 pm
  • The last thing I want right now is for our stadium to become an issue. That's a recipe for disaster.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:The last thing I want right now is for our stadium to become an issue. That's a recipe for disaster.

I dunno, there should be some debate here. The elder model which has served its time well and should be given its due, or the newer upgraded model with an eye towards the future.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• What can they do about the one above the Hawks Nest? That design seems kind of set in stone. i agree they are less than impressive
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:What can they do about the one above the Hawks Nest? That design seems kind of set in stone. i agree they are less than impressive

That's kind of the problem - the screen sizes are kind of built in to the design of the stadium.

I think one option would be to make the screen in the South endzone taller. It would block some of the seats and the view from the concourse, but they could maybe add more seats above it.

Or maybe the could hang new ones under each roof?
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• No matter the tron size I wish they would show the plays that are being reviewed or contested(red flagged)
    piston bully
    NET Practice Squad

• not to take away from the screen stuff, the food in the stadium is terrible, it was better two years ago, but the nachos are stale and the food is terrible. They need to do something to upgrade the food choices for the fans who give their everything to win games:) I have been participating on the surveys every year and things have not gotten better. The choices, the freshness/flavor are all below average if at all. I am talking about the food choices in the 300 level, don't know about the club level:) When you have huskies, sounders and seahawks games in the same stadium, I fee the vendors definitely are making money, they need to definitely improve the quality.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• Run a couple of cables across the chasm and hang a 4 sided one from it like basketball. The lines would barely be visible no view blocking.

I agree the screens and even the score boards are pretty small.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• not to take away from the screen stuff, the food in the stadium is terrible, it was better two years ago, but the nachos are stale and the food is terrible. They need to do something to upgrade the food choices for the fans who give their everything to win games:) I have been participating on the surveys every year and things have not gotten better. The choices, the freshness/flavor are all below average if at all. I am talking about the food choices in the 300 level, don't know about the club level:) When you have huskies, sounders and seahawks games in the same stadium, I fee the vendors definitely are making money, they need to definitely improve the quality.

They moved about 5 food trucks from local vendors into the north end just inside the gate were the old smoking section used to be.the barbacure pulled pork is pretty good.lines not to bad yet
    piston bully
    NET Practice Squad

• Replace the entire Hawks nest with the largest HD video screen the world has ever seen. Or mount small HD screens in the headrests of the seat in front of you like on an airplane. That'd be phat playa!
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Safeco Field is getting the new big screen because fans have more fun watching hydroplane races and playing the hat game than watching the team itself.

I think the jumbotrons at Clink are fine as it is. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• I'd be absolutely fine with removing them entirely, if it meant that all the crappy advertising would go away as well.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• I thouhg they were kinda small when i went to the GB game. Now that they are putting new buildings in the north parking lot the view won't be as good so why not make the screen int he hawks nest much wider.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• Jazzhawk wrote:
    SeaTown81 wrote:The Hawks just upgraded their video boards back in March.

http://www.centurylinkfield.com/news/20 ... ntury.html

Sorry, antiquated as regards size. Too small.

True. But the point remains. The Hawks just upgraded their video boards this year. If they were going to make them bigger, they would've done so then. As some have said, the design of the stadium prohibits it.

And I say this as a season ticket holder in the southeast corner of the stadium who can only see the crappy vertical screen above the Hawks nest. It is woefully inadequate. But nothing you can do about it now.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• The Dallas jumbotron is a joke in my eyes. It's a distraction at best and a monument to Jerry's ego at worst.

As long as the screens aren't in place to sell some sort of experience I'm fine with anything.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• I honestly think some stadiums are WAY to much bling and not enough sting, take Cowboys stadium for instance, the Cowboys suck at home, well what little they have played at home (more scheduling woes, 6 of 9 away so far?), they're 1-2 RS at home..

in any event I like exactly how the Clink sits right now as is, its perfect, Kilimanjaro, small jumbotrons, and more importantly the Architecture funnels the crowd noise right down to the turf, those overhead overhangs help to get the job done

this is just a guess but I have a feeling by seasons end the Clink will be the most feared stadium in the west?

its PERFECT imho, wouldn't change a thing, cept maybe clear a spot to hang a Bear rug or two? :stirthepot:

:D
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Maybe Paul Allen can use the money from his record sales to fund an upgrade. Or if that's not enough he could always start a Kickstarter campaign.

Kickstarter is awesome. Me and my partner had a lot of success with them this year. http://hobbyuav.com/kickstarter-was-a-success/

It really wouldn't surprise me to see the Hawks revamp some of the Technology, including the screen. Just think in a few years, we could be asking whether the holo units shouldn't be life sized. After all, Mr Allen's money comes from that background.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

• SeaTown81 wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:
    SeaTown81 wrote:The Hawks just upgraded their video boards back in March.

http://www.centurylinkfield.com/news/20 ... ntury.html

Sorry, antiquated as regards size. Too small.

True. But the point remains. The Hawks just upgraded their video boards this year. If they were going to make them bigger, they would've done so then. As some have said, the design of the stadium prohibits it.

And I say this as a season ticket holder in the southeast corner of the stadium who can only see the crappy vertical screen above the Hawks nest. It is woefully inadequate. But nothing you can do about it now.

Ya, I think my answer is biased because I too have to see the stupid narrow, too small screen above the Hawk's nest from the South EZ. Probably not to far from you.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 pm
  • I doubt that we get new screens until there is a remodeling of the stadium. Say good-bye to your city view for when that happens the changes will affect the ends of the stadium. It wouldn't surprise me if Paul does not have an architect working on that project right now.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information