Are the Clink's jumbotrons too small?

A-Dog

Reaction score
Before I start, yes, I know that what matters is the action on the field, not what happens on the video screens, yada yada yada.

But still, the news about the new giant screen going up at Safeco Field got me to thinking about the screens at Centurylink Field. I was a season ticket holder during the Seahawks first season there, and even then I remember being a little disappointed in the screens. My disappointment then wasn't so much the size of the screens--it was more about the less-than-ideal aspect ratios of the two screens. The screen above the Hawks Nest appears to be the old 4:3 standard definition ratio, and the screen above the south endzone is panoramic. Neither one of them is well suited to showing replays in 16:9 high definition format, and most of the replays they show are truncated and don't include all of the action that the folks at home are seeing on their HDTVs.

The problem is that those non-standard dimensions were dictated by the design of the stadium. It seems it would be impossible to make the north screen bigger without widening the Hawks Nest seating (and reducing the beautiful views of the city). The south screen would block seats if it was made taller, or suites if it was made wider.

Is there any room to improve the screens at the Clink? Does it matter?

[urltargetblank]http://seattletimes.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2019685106_post_59.html[/urltargetblank]

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I see your point and I agree they could be better but frankly I'm so used to them and don't see them being a deterrent to the game day experience so unless Paul Allen wants it so, it's doubtful anything will be done.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Every time I go to a game, I think they're too small, and it'd be nice to have larger ones for watching replays. Just my two cents.

Seaswab

Reaction score
They basically screwed up by putting in the vertical screen above the Hawks Nest. Really limits what they can do. The vertical screen is pointless because video isn't meant to be viewed that way and it screws up how they can show replays.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Yes. Very much so. Already antiquated.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe Paul Allen can use the money from his record sales to fund an upgrade. Or if that's not enough he could always start a Kickstarter campaign.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The last thing I want right now is for our stadium to become an issue. That's a recipe for disaster.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2av41w4v said:
The last thing I want right now is for our stadium to become an issue. That's a recipe for disaster.

I dunno, there should be some debate here. The elder model which has served its time well and should be given its due, or the newer upgraded model with an eye towards the future.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
What can they do about the one above the Hawks Nest? That design seems kind of set in stone. i agree they are less than impressive

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1lcbbzmw said:
What can they do about the one above the Hawks Nest? That design seems kind of set in stone. i agree they are less than impressive

That's kind of the problem - the screen sizes are kind of built in to the design of the stadium.

I think one option would be to make the screen in the South endzone taller. It would block some of the seats and the view from the concourse, but they could maybe add more seats above it.

Or maybe the could hang new ones under each roof?

piston bully

Reaction score
No matter the tron size I wish they would show the plays that are being reviewed or contested(red flagged)

seahawks08

Reaction score
not to take away from the screen stuff, the food in the stadium is terrible, it was better two years ago, but the nachos are stale and the food is terrible. They need to do something to upgrade the food choices for the fans who give their everything to win games:) I have been participating on the surveys every year and things have not gotten better. The choices, the freshness/flavor are all below average if at all. I am talking about the food choices in the 300 level, don't know about the club level:) When you have huskies, sounders and seahawks games in the same stadium, I fee the vendors definitely are making money, they need to definitely improve the quality.

The Radish

Reaction score
Run a couple of cables across the chasm and hang a 4 sided one from it like basketball. The lines would barely be visible no view blocking.

I agree the screens and even the score boards are pretty small.

:les:

piston bully

Reaction score
not to take away from the screen stuff, the food in the stadium is terrible, it was better two years ago, but the nachos are stale and the food is terrible. They need to do something to upgrade the food choices for the fans who give their everything to win games:) I have been participating on the surveys every year and things have not gotten better. The choices, the freshness/flavor are all below average if at all. I am talking about the food choices in the 300 level, don't know about the club level:) When you have huskies, sounders and seahawks games in the same stadium, I fee the vendors definitely are making money, they need to definitely improve the quality.

They moved about 5 food trucks from local vendors into the north end just inside the gate were the old smoking section used to be.the barbacure pulled pork is pretty good.lines not to bad yet

CANHawk

Reaction score
Replace the entire Hawks nest with the largest HD video screen the world has ever seen. Or mount small HD screens in the headrests of the seat in front of you like on an airplane. That'd be phat playa!

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Safeco Field is getting the new big screen because fans have more fun watching hydroplane races and playing the hat game than watching the team itself.

I think the jumbotrons at Clink are fine as it is. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I'd be absolutely fine with removing them entirely, if it meant that all the crappy advertising would go away as well.