Bye week out of the box trade talk!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
-The Glove-":vr5g58q2 said:
hawkfan68":vr5g58q2 said:
I'd rather have Tarvaris Jackson than Tim Tebow. No, I don't want to see T-Jack in a Seahawk uni anytime soon.
As a backup, why not? He was nothing but the consummate professional here. Dealt with all of the criticism well and played through a really tough injury. Wouldn't want him as a starter, but he's definitely a top backup imo.
Agree completely.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
hawker84":3r7s6fu1 said:
tebow needs to try new positions, fullback or TE... maybe strong safety.... when his own teammates are saying he sucks behind his back to the media, you can take it to heart the dude is not good... if he has hands, i could see him catching some balls out of the back field, and if he can block as well, TE. he is a 245 pounder with a little speed... but his QB days are numbered and he needs to realize that and start his Save my NFL career campaign right now... or go into coaching or the booth... merill hodges did it, i don't remember that dude playing a down since SMU...

Are you talking about Merrill Hoge? He didn't play at SMU. He played at Idaho State. I know this because he was the starter over my best friend in high school at ISU when he was a freshman (My friend was). Hoge was quite the local hero as he was a Mormon kid that actually didn't get recruited by BYU, but went to Idaho St. and had such a good career that he got drafted by the Steelers and I believe had at least one 1,000 yard season (or close to it... all of their RB's got hurt and Hoge stepped up from his FB role and played RB for the remainder of the year and played really well). That was the point everybody started questioning Norm Chow's offensive player recruiting. He didn't recruit Hoge or Kevin Curtis and both became really good NFL players.

I know some guys don't like Hoge here, because he seems to waffle on points and get mouthy and then change his position on certain things.

Just for everybody's info. Merrill was one of the early guys to be diagnosed with that brain condition from excessive concussions that causes tangles in the brain. He suffers from depression, mood swings, and will entirely forget where he is at times, as well as having seizures and such. He suffered some pretty heavy duty brain damage due mainly to NFL doctor ineptitude and the team overlooking what he was dealing with and clearing him to play, and I believe he then had a bought with cancer, which they can't prove was caused by football, but it was interesting that they found abnormalities in his brain, and then shortly after he had abnormal cell growth in his body. There have been times where he has suffered long bouts of amnesia, and has struggled a great deal, but has continued to work and has worked extremely hard on behalf of player safety and makes sure to spend his week making notes that will keep him on track in case he blanks out or loses track of what the discussion was.

As far as SMU players go... the two most famous I can remember are Craig James who went to the USFL and then later played for the Patriots and of course Eric Dickerson who played in the same backfield as James and went on to a hall of fame career with the Rams and I believe wrapped it up with the Colts (sort of a reverse Marshall Faulk career).

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Tebow and Hodge really have a lot in common if you think about it. They're both dudes, played football, etc.

If you propose a trade for Tebow on the internet in any capacity you're going to get supporters and detractors. Mr. Bully knew exactly what he was getting himself into.

12thMan1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ki6akf4 said:
Jesus Christ, why the hell would we want Tebow around here? No. Just......no.

I do like the idea of trading Flynn if we can get a good pick for him, though. A 2nd would be nice...or even a 1st. :devil:

I could see the Chiefs trading for Flynn. Unless they plan on using their first round pick on Matt Barkley or Geno Smith.

12thMan1

Reaction score
As for Tebow, I agree with a lot of the others on here. FB or TE

OP
OP
piston bully

piston bully

Reaction score
Along with the other Ideas he would be a interesting player to snap the ball to on field goals.Give the opposing D one more thing to think about,Maybe slow the rush just alittle.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
piston bully said:
Flynn will not be a backup quaterback for the hawks or most likely any one else next year.We will trade him to some team to start.Free up some cap and get what we really need.Just thought taking advantage of a truly desperate team might make some sense.For one great athlete and a few good picks.Looking for a GOOD discussion on what that trade might be.and with whom.Truly sorry if that offended some of your superior football intelects.for you are truly smarter than I as far as you know.

That's completely wishful thinking on your part. I can't envision any situation where a team will trade for Flynn expecting him to start. A) Because his market value was very low this past year. B) Because he got beatout by a rookie when he had the inside track. That's not going to boost his desireability in any team's eyes.

Frankly we may trade him for a 5th-6th round pick to some team looking to add competition to their QB situation. Maybe the Jags to push Gabbert, or perhaps the Browns to push Weeden. He may end up winning the job somewhere, but no one is going to sign Flynn with the sole intent on him becomming the starter.

You can stop with the pitty party garbage, the original though was ill-conceived because the trade deadline is already passed, making the entire idea moot. It wouldn't have worked even if we wanted too make the trade. 2ndly, I don't see how you could make Tebow your backup, Josh Portis would be a better backup option than Tebow (he's already been in the system for 2 years).

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Right.

A) Trade deadline passed

B) Flynn value is limited, the ceiling is probably one 3rd round pick based on how little action he saw as a free agent, and the likelihood of the Seahawks parting wiith him strikes me as somewhat low, his cap number is not bad for a quality backup

C) Tebow value is limited, with his current teammates saying terrible things about him, and his performance in games being lackluster in the sense that any decent NFL team has guys on the roster that can already do the stuff he's doing, it makes no sense that a team like ours would even use a roster spot on the guy

I do absolutely agree with the OP and some other PP in one major respect. I do think that if the right desperate team comes calling for a QB, that's when you maximize the value for Flynn... I was kind of surprised that this didn't happen before the deadline, things like the Cutler injury, or Worthlessburger injury, if they had happened a few weeks ago, we might very well have traded Flynn and turned around and signed a random veteran to be our backup QB.

OP
OP
piston bully

piston bully

Reaction score
Dont know how many of you heard it but Peter King was on kjr this morning and did mention the draft for qbs is not that great this year and he expected allot inquiries on Flynn.He did mention KC.wish Gonzales was younger.Not sure I wanted the trade now, more the off season.still think we need the safety blanket till the end of the season second week in feb.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Complete ridiculousness aside, Eff yea I'd do that. A first round pick for Flynn? I mean, the best we could probably actually get is a 6th or 7th for him, so you bet your ass I would do that deal. I would immediately trade or cut Tebow. Don't want him at all, but you bet I'll take the hassle of getting rid of him if it means we get that first round pick for Flynn.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
piston bully":3mey87f4 said:
Dont know how many of you heard it but Peter King was on kjr this morning and did mention the draft for qbs is not that great this year and he expected allot inquiries on Flynn.He did mention KC.wish Gonzales was younger.Not sure I wanted the trade now, more the off season.still think we need the safety blanket till the end of the season second week in feb.

Tony Gonalez? He's on the Falcons and already announced he was retiring at the end of this season. You don't often see player for player trades in the NFL anyway. If you're going to bark up the trade tree.... start looking at who has what draft picks and what they'd be willing to give up for a specific player. Typically the draft picks are conditional as well.

Latest posts