PFF: Richard Sherman becoming league's best shutdown corner

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This quote gives me serious wood.

Pro Football Focus":3hv8564x said:
Revis Island may be about to become an archipelago, flanked by Sherman Island in a sea from which there is no escape for receivers.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You know what I love most about this?

We saw it coming last year...and it ACTUALLY HAPPENED. It's about time that players started delivering on their potential, rather than unexpectedly flatlining or turning out to be a flash-in-the-pan.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29gg41so said:
You know what I love most about this?

We saw it coming last year...and it ACTUALLY HAPPENED. It's about time that players started delivering on their potential, rather than unexpectedly flatlining or turning out to be a flash-in-the-pan.
Yup. I remember last year, I said the player most deserving to go to the Pro Bowl last year didn't. And that was Sherman. Maybe it's even better he got snubbed, because he's playing angry and hungry still.

edogg23

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2n39b80l said:
I hope that it wasn't just a random stroke of luck we found Sherman, and hopefully we find a solid #2 across from him (not yet sold on Browner completely, and I want two shutdown CB's).

Dude, Browner has been very solid again this year, he just is getting less attention because he doesn't run his mouth.
In fact, just thinking back to games, it seems like maybe he has given up less big plays then Sherm has even, and that TD saving rundown on AP was incredible!

Sac

Reaction score
Browner is also mantastic. How sweet would it be if our whole secondary went to the probowl?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
edogg23":1pzw78bm said:
hawksfan515":1pzw78bm said:
I hope that it wasn't just a random stroke of luck we found Sherman, and hopefully we find a solid #2 across from him (not yet sold on Browner completely, and I want two shutdown CB's).

Dude, Browner has been very solid again this year, he just is getting less attention because he doesn't run his mouth.
In fact, just thinking back to games, it seems like maybe he has given up less big plays then Sherm has even, and that TD saving rundown on AP was incredible!

Who gave up the big play to Jeremy Kerley in the Jets game? I'm pretty sure it was Browner's side of the field.

Trust everyone here, Sherman is better than Browner. Browner is good in his own right, but what I was thinking was how it would be like to essentially have TWO Sherman's. Kinda like what the Bears have, and their defense is setting records and such. I want that! Don't get me wrong, Browner is good, but I want memorable, so 20 years from now people go like "man, If only we could make a defense like the Seahawks defense from 2012", something like that.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":cs0qx1ho said:
hawksfan515":cs0qx1ho said:

God willing, all of our #2's will be solid...

I see what you did there...stay away from the poutine and all will remain solid.

RolandDeschain":cs0qx1ho said:
This quote gives me serious wood.

Pro Football Focus":cs0qx1ho said:
Revis Island may be about to become an archipelago, flanked by Sherman Island in a sea from which there is no escape for receivers.

No escape? Just head up the Jennings Straight.

VHawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":c7wsfdi0 said:
edogg23":c7wsfdi0 said:
hawksfan515":c7wsfdi0 said:

Who gave up the big play to Jeremy Kerley in the Jets game? I'm pretty sure it was Browner's side of the field.

Trust everyone here, Sherman is better than Browner. Browner is good in his own right, but what I was thinking was how it would be like to essentially have TWO Sherman's. Kinda like what the Bears have, and their defense is setting records and such. I want that! Don't get me wrong, Browner is good, but I want memorable, so 20 years from now people go like "man, If only we could make a defense like the Seahawks defense from 2012", something like that.

Browner always gets the criticism over "mental mistakes" but never gets the credit when he is making crucial turnovers in almost every game.On top of that Browner brings a Ray Lewis like intimidation on the field,where do you think the D's nasty attitude comes from?Tired of all the little subliminal disses on Browner, without him we would not be as mentally and physically tough.

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Sherman and Browner are both great football players. I don't see the need to disparage one in order to lift up the other. IMO Sherman is the better player but that is not a knock on Browner. Sherman has a chance, without hyperbole, to be a hall of fame player. He is rangy, physical, quick, and has great ball skills. I think he can be a modern day Mel Blount. Browner, however, has played very well this year and hopefully they'll continue to shut down opponent's passing games together for a long, long time.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I still find it amazing that people still put Browner down. Seriously, what has he done wrong this year ? Every CB gives up TD's, and if he gets beat over the top, how do you know it was him, and not on the Safety ? Chancellor has had an off year; good in run support, but seeming to be a step later to the ball in coverage than he was last year. I've watched a couple replays of Browner getting beat over the top. One he was in zone and that wasn't his responsibility, and the second, it looked like he was expecting Safety help over the top. Now, only someone on the team could tell you whether it was his mistake to expect Safety help, or the Safety's in not being there.

Browner has had a couple of game where he disappeared. Want to know why ? He totally ERASED his guy that game. The QB didn't even throw at him. There was also a game where he got a pick, and it wasn't on his guy, he came off his coverage to undercut someone else's responsibility. Last year was like a rookie year for him. I said at the beginning of the year that I felt he could progress and get better. From what I've read on .com and from the Hawks fans here that went to TC, he practices like a demon and is the most physcial secondary player we have. Seriously, I could name maybe two CBs I'd rather have over him, and they might not even fit well in our defense.

As for SHerman, he's going to be really good, and I think a lot of it comes from him being a WR at a high level before he was a CB. The guy knows what is coming, before it happens. Amazing.

Jville

Reaction score
TheHawkDoc":1bu568hl said:
Sherman and Browner are both great football players. I don't see the need to disparage one in order to lift up the other. IMO Sherman is the better player but that is not a knock on Browner. Sherman has a chance, without hyperbole, to be a hall of fame player. He is rangy, physical, quick, and has great ball skills. I think he can be a modern day Mel Blount. Browner, however, has played very well this year and hopefully they'll continue to shut down opponent's passing games together for a long, long time.

Well said. Reminds me of a couple old school press corners the Raiders had. The same two cornerbacks coach Carroll mentioned as inspiration to take a shot and go after Browner and Richard as press corners. Their names were Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes. Lester was the more vilolent bump and run one taking most of the heat. Both were shut down corners and pro bowl players. Mike Haynes is in the Hall of Fame.

If Browner and Sherman can approach their success as a CB pairing, we are in for quite a spectacle over the next few years. :th2thumbs:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawks46":1gjuzyrn said:
I still find it amazing that people still put Browner down. Seriously, what has he done wrong this year ? Every CB gives up TD's, and if he gets beat over the top, how do you know it was him, and not on the Safety ? Chancellor has had an off year; good in run support, but seeming to be a step later to the ball in coverage than he was last year. I've watched a couple replays of Browner getting beat over the top. One he was in zone and that wasn't his responsibility, and the second, it looked like he was expecting Safety help over the top. Now, only someone on the team could tell you whether it was his mistake to expect Safety help, or the Safety's in not being there.

Browner has had a couple of game where he disappeared. Want to know why ? He totally ERASED his guy that game. The QB didn't even throw at him. There was also a game where he got a pick, and it wasn't on his guy, he came off his coverage to undercut someone else's responsibility. Last year was like a rookie year for him. I said at the beginning of the year that I felt he could progress and get better. From what I've read on .com and from the Hawks fans here that went to TC, he practices like a demon and is the most physcial secondary player we have. Seriously, I could name maybe two CBs I'd rather have over him, and they might not even fit well in our defense.

As for SHerman, he's going to be really good, and I think a lot of it comes from him being a WR at a high level before he was a CB. The guy knows what is coming, before it happens. Amazing.
Agree with everything you said man. Browner's nothing short of a Beast this season. He's the defense's Beast Mode IMO. You may get him once or twice, but he'll get the better of you by the end of the game.

BGHawk

Reaction score
Im just happy as a clam with my football signed by Mr Sherman..sits next to me each and every game

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
To the people who say the Bears have two "shutdown corners", no, no they don't. Jennings is a gambler, plain and simple. Much like players such as Antonio Cromartie or DeAngelo Hall he'll come up with big plays, but he'll also get burned. He can be exploited, and he gets a ton of safety help in the scheme that he plays in.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2zfd8vhz said:
To the people who say the Bears have two "shutdown corners", no, no they don't. Jennings is a gambler, plain and simple. Much like players such as Antonio Cromartie or DeAngelo Hall he'll come up with big plays, but he'll also get burned. He can be exploited, and he gets a ton of safety help in the scheme that he plays in.

Sounds like Nate Clements. Can probably take advantage of him over the top with some double moves. What are their safties like? Maybe Sidney Rice has another big day passing...

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Right now I would take Sherm over any other CB the league. He is playing at an unbelievable level right now.