PFF: Richard Sherman becoming league's best shutdown corner

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Turns out that when they're not jumping up and down waving their arms for attention towards their ratings metrics, some of the guys at Pro Football Focus know a lot about football.

Love this piece on Sherman. It's not just his tools, but his tape study, spatial awareness, and understanding of coverage and receivers' body language that makes him so good. Makes him sound like a long-term stud for us.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... week-10-2/

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I hope that it wasn't just a random stroke of luck we found Sherman, and hopefully we find a solid #2 across from him (not yet sold on Browner completely, and I want two shutdown CB's).

amill87

Reaction score
I remember being terrified when we lost Trufant and than Thurmond shortly after. Those injuries turned into one of the best things to happen in the Carroll era

hawker84

Reaction score
sherman i think is definately the better of the two, and definately in the top 5 in the league if not top 2 or 3... browner is a baller as well, not as good at coverage, but better at jammin recievers off the line and taking them out of their rhythm.. that's how he compensates, still good at coverage, just not as good as sherman.. browner also has deceptive speed as shown when running down AP.. we have two solid corners, i think the term shutdown corners is slowly fading, because of the recievers in the game today, and the game plans. you can shut down the big play guys, but they game plan for that and target the #2 or slots like we've seen in detroit... aside from reivis, who i wouldn't consider a shutdown corner, but i would say he's as close as it gets..they're just not a lot of them any more. shut down corners to me, you're talking Prime time, darryl green type players..

just my opionion

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It was hard to read that article.

Because I continued to get giddy every couple sentences. Sherman = stud.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":dt8xc43h said:

Indeed

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Hmmm....Optimus Prime or Sherman Island...Take your pick. I love it!!!!

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3tkcfgjt said:
I hope that it wasn't just a random stroke of luck we found Sherman, and hopefully we find a solid #2 across from him (not yet sold on Browner completely, and I want two shutdown CB's).

God willing, all of our #2's will be solid...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1r8ejnc7 said:

And what's funny is that Sherman's smart enough to know that the more he publicly talks trash to opposing WRs and QBs, the more the media will pay attention to him and perhaps start to notice that he's very possibly the top CB in the league right now. Dude is earning every penny of his next contract with his play and his savvy.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
CANHawk":3jzbcogi said:
hawksfan515":3jzbcogi said:

God willing, all of our #2's will be solid...

lol my bad, I meant just complete shutdown. Like having 2 shutdown CB's across from eachother. I do think Browners alright for now though, as I love his playmaking ability (no offense to Sherman, he's gotta take notes from Browner on how to return an INT. Browner's a boss at it).

Kinda like Chicago with Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman. Except younger.

Our setup right now kinda reminds me of Revis and Cromartie. Except Sherman isn't as good as Revis (Maybe in another year), and Browners better than Cromartie.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
hawksfan515":akyiweyb said:
lol my bad, I meant just complete shutdown. Like having 2 shutdown CB's across from eachother. I do think Browners alright for now though, as I love his playmaking ability (no offense to Sherman, he's gotta take notes from Browner on how to return an INT. Browner's a boss at it).

Kinda like Chicago with Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman. Except younger.

Our setup right now kinda reminds me of Revis and Cromartie. Except Sherman isn't as good as Revis (Maybe in another year), and Browners better than Cromartie.

Revis is the most overhyped CB since Champ Bailey. I would take Sherman over Revis any day of the week. Browner is a stud, hard to imagine people still doubt him.

amill87

Reaction score
HawksFTW":xspa9qt4 said:
Revis is the most overhyped CB since Champ Bailey. I would take Sherman over Revis any day of the week. Browner is a stud, hard to imagine people still doubt him.

Huh?

What are you basing the over hype on? Revis has literally been shutting down a teams best WR for years. Even the best WRs in the league rarely put up any numbers on Revis. Sherman is definitely on the rise and he may one day be better but right now, there are still teams that will throw at Sherman, while virtually no-one throws at Revis.

I agree for the most part about Browner. He's pretty good but he still has at least one really bad mental mistake each game.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
amill87":2sy7mqug said:
HawksFTW":2sy7mqug said:

Huh?

What are you basing the over hype on? Revis has literally been shutting down a teams best WR for years. Even the best WRs in the league rarely put up any numbers on Revis. Sherman is definitely on the rise and he may one day be better but right now, there are still teams that will throw at Sherman, while virtually no-one throws at Revis.

I agree for the most part about Browner. He's pretty good but he still has at least one really bad mental mistake each game.

Yeah I would love to know why you think Revis is overhyped. He seems pretty good.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfan515":23qygzq0 said:

Being a bit greedy, don't you think? When's the last time any team in the league had two legitimate shutdown corners? Geez, lol.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think the credit goes to Pete Caroll in his philosophy of putting young kids out there and see what their potential is and see if they can be coachable instead of the traditional thinking of play only people who have experience. It is a risk/reward situation but if you don't play them, you never know. I am sure for every year of Pete and John, we will see more rookies drafted playing than not. That's his philosophy of building depth, breadth and being in cap.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":hyvm111b said:
hawksfan515":hyvm111b said:

Being a bit greedy, don't you think? When's the last time any team in the league had two legitimate shutdown corners? Geez, lol.

Bears.... :3: Oh god I want a defense like that.... arguably best ever.

There's a point where a defense will get so good, that above average players become the weaknesses. Browner is good, but can you imagine two Shermans? wooooooo.......

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":hnt3vmkt said:
He is going to be a very very rich man in a year or two.

I hope it's with us. I really do. But then again, if anyone doesn't, they likely should have their heads examined.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1i34zyv8 said:
Hawkstorian":1i34zyv8 said:
He is going to be a very very rich man in a year or two.

I hope it's with us. I really do. But then again, if anyone doesn't, they likely should have their heads examined.

You guys are forgetting, he is a 6'3 CB in a scheme tailored to tall CB's. The stereotype of tall CB's not having success might still be there, and while we may have to break the bank, we may not have to really break the bank. I can't imagine his value being that high, as people would have speed concerns, and he wouldn't fit every scheme.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2yxyi48t said:
amill87":2yxyi48t said:
HawksFTW":2yxyi48t said:

Huh?

Yeah I would love to know why you think Revis is overhyped. He seems pretty good.

I never said Revis isn't good, he is definitely good. He also has one of the best years ever at CB, in 2009. Outside of that year, he has just been good to very good, definitely not the best CB in the league. It gets said and repeated so often, that people just accept it as truth. All CBs get beat at some point, there is no such thing as a shutdown CB in this league anymore. Same things got repeated about Champ Bailey after his phenomenal year in 2006. Back when Revis was in discussions for a new contract, there were reports that he wanted $115+ Mil for 10 years, and the Jets were considering paying it. These guys get talked up so much, it is ridiculous. All the while you have CBs like Sherman, Woodson, Haden, etc, etc, that actually outplay them on a pass for pass basis.

And that goes back to my point about Browner, yes he will get beat once in a while, yes he will have his penalties, but he gets thrown at a ton and holds his own for the better part of it. All CBs will have off plays at some point, I just know we haven't seen a set of CBs this good on our team in a long long time.