PFF refocused Jets @ Seahawks

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
PFF refocused Jets @ Seahawks
Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:12 am
  • https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-week-10/

The Seahawks’ defense was rounding into one of the league’s most formidable units, and though they shut down the hapless Jets in this game, there were a couple of players that had enjoyed fine form over the first half of the season who seemed to go missing in this game. Chris Clemons notched just a single hit from 30 pass-rushing snaps as he worked against the Jets’ left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson for the most part, and run-stuffer Brandon Mebane was unable to anchor in the middle as the Jets were able to move him out of the hole with their interior blockers. Mebane had been comfortably our best graded DT against the run early in the year, but after a couple of performances like this he has slipped to seventh. Seattle needs both of these players at their best for that defense to be truly intimidating.

I'm starting to get worried about Mebane a little bit...........
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Re: PFF refocused Jets @ Seahawks
Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 am
  • I'm not as worried about Mebane. I'm more concerned about Clems recent lack of production.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:48 am
  • I rewatched the game yesterday and Mebane was mostly lined up off the side of the center, and the guard was shooting into him the whole game, meaning he was double teamed.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 am
  • this, and clemons was getting back there, there was several times he rushed the passer into hurried throws, and he did have a big hit... he just didn't get a sack, but he was disruptive. he's a beast and quick, wow is he quick.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am
  • Glad to see that Greene didn't break a single tackle on Sunday. Poor tackling KILLED us against the Vikings.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 am
  • Mebane is being double teamed which means that our other DT, finger pointing at you Branch, is not doing his job the way that it is supposed to be done.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 am
  • Largent80 wrote:I rewatched the game yesterday and Mebane was mostly lined up off the side of the center, and the guard was shooting into him the whole game, meaning he was double teamed.

When you have 5 OL and 4 DL, the nose is going to get double teamed regularly. He gets paid good money to be that guy and to defeat it.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 am
  • I too am worried a bit about Mebane.

It's not that he's played altogether badly, hell as the article said, early in the year he looked GREAT. And he's still had some nice splash plays here and there but his production has dropped off, for sure. I wonder if it's an injury.

We need Clem to step up as well but he's been a bit more of a boom and bust player (as has our whole pass rush) so I'm not quite as concerned.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 am
  • Largent80 wrote:I rewatched the game yesterday and Mebane was mostly lined up off the side of the center, and the guard was shooting into him the whole game, meaning he was double teamed.

He's the 1-tech. It's his job to get double teamed.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 am
  • This team's had a long season with a brutal schedule. If this continues after the bye, I'll be worried, but I think the rest is coming a week or two too late and they've run out of gas. They will hopefully come back rested and healed up and ready to get back to the level of play they had earlier.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:This team's had a long season with a brutal schedule. If this continues after the bye, I'll be worried, but I think the rest is coming a week or two too late and they've run out of gas. They will hopefully come back rested and healed up and ready to get back to the level of play they had earlier.

I agree, he needs this bye week. That and we need to find depth at the interior DT.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Glad to see that Greene didn't break a single tackle on Sunday. Poor tackling KILLED us against the Vikings.

He didn't break many tackles but there were way too many times that he fell forward for five yards. I liked the beginning of the year when the boys would hit the RB and he would stop on the spot or would get blown back. A couple of 3rd and shorts should have been 3rd and longer had the RB gone down at the point of contact.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I rewatched the game yesterday and Mebane was mostly lined up off the side of the center, and the guard was shooting into him the whole game, meaning he was double teamed.

He's the 1-tech. It's his job to get double teamed.

Yeah, everyone knows it so why rag on a guy that is doing his job. When he is doing it, it frees the others for 1 on 1 assignments. That is where the criticism belongs.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:56 pm
  • I'm not worried about either of those guys at this point.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 pm
  • This reminds me of 2005 when we were on here worried about our depth at our nickel corner position.

The interior defensive line has endured some injuries and Mebane struggled without Jason Jones in there. I just think he's worn down a little bit. He's best when he's shuttling in and out. He's still a solid player who is not getting colin cole'd on double teams. If he's our chief worry, then I'm fine with that.

Not worried at all about Clem. Some days are better than others for pass rushers, that's just the way it goes.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 pm
  • Not many of you weak asses could deal with even 165 pound comet bar patrons doubling up on you. So really just shut up.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Not many of you weak asses could deal with even 165 pound comet bar patrons doubling up on you. So really just shut up.

Don't see anyone saying they could play better than Mebane.

What's this forum supposed to be for if not for discussing your opinions on all things Seahawks football?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:01 pm
  • haha settle down Robert.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:01 pm
  • hawksfan515 wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/refo-jets-seahawks-week-10/

The Seahawks’ defense was rounding into one of the league’s most formidable units, and though they shut down the hapless Jets in this game, there were a couple of players that had enjoyed fine form over the first half of the season who seemed to go missing in this game. Chris Clemons notched just a single hit from 30 pass-rushing snaps as he worked against the Jets’ left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson for the most part, and run-stuffer Brandon Mebane was unable to anchor in the middle as the Jets were able to move him out of the hole with their interior blockers. Mebane had been comfortably our best graded DT against the run early in the year, but after a couple of performances like this he has slipped to seventh. Seattle needs both of these players at their best for that defense to be truly intimidating.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the jets are a whole lot better on the field than they are on paper, they played hard at times and after the first half they had me wondering? if they come out and make the right adjustments and the hawks don't the Jets may make a run for it?
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm
  • I've eaten burritos bigger than 165lbs.

But yeah, I'm not at all worried about Mebane. As a matter of fact, I think he might be quietly having his best year yet. The Jets game is a bit of an anomaly I think (maybe he's just tired and needs the bye). I'm definately not one of those guys to go back and watch every play in the game in super slow mo, but IIRC, NY did a pretty good job of stretching run plays out on one play, then cutting it back on a bit of a counter or a trap the next (same as SF did). That gets the d-linemen moving side to side a bit where they're a little easier to plow out of the way with the double team (and Shon Green is a pretty damn powerful runner in his own right). LB's need to stay home to step up and plug the gaps, but maybe their youthful exuberance got them cheating a little big (like they did against ADP). All in all, it was still a damn fine game by our defense. We held them to 80 yards on the ground, 100 in the air and zero offensive TD's. Looking for fault in a game like this is just looking for reasons to be a big whiney baby.

As for what is expected of a 1-tech defensive tackle, I love this bit from PFF a few years ago.

1-Technique (4-3 NT) – Pat Williams

The 1-technique does much the same as the 0-technique, except he is shaded over the inside shoulder of one of the guards, and is rarely expected to control two gaps. He is, however, expected to command a double team from the center and guard, which frees up other linemen to be one on one with their blockers. Pat Williams has been the prototype for this position for years. Williams was an immovable force in the middle for the Vikings and required two players to try and shift him from the point of attack, leaving Kevin Williams single-blocked by a guard, and allowing linebackers to run free to the ball and make stops close to the line of scrimmage. A good 1-technique DT can dramatically improve an entire run defense, because he makes several players’ jobs much easier.
    Alternative prototypes: Haloti Ngata, Antonio Dixon, Colin Cole*

*lol, Colin Cole...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:10 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:haha settle down Robert.

Whew...Thanks Zeb.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm
  • The run defense has been showing major cracks in the armor. Lets hope the offense is now good enough to allow us to keep winning cause I am not liking what i am seeing from the run d.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:54 pm
  • hawksfan515 wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/refo-jets-seahawks-week-10/

LOL I hope your not taking the work of PPF seriously. I mean look at the content of this article.

For example: The New York Jets thought so much of Mebane's play they were compelled to double team Brandon. And what did the great and powerful combo dual of left guard Matt Slauson and right tackle Austin Howard help the Jet's run game produce? Eightly four (thats 84) yards. That's it. :229031_shrug:

Singled out for special attention by the Jets and double teamed all game long and yet PPF thinks Mebane's game is headed south, downgrade their rating on Brandon, and lay that 84 yard responsibilty solely on his head. Brilliant :34853_doh:

Should I assume that these alleged "impressive (2 on 1) blocks" have driven PPF's grades for Slauson and Howard thru the roof? :lol:

Jet "O-Line Revival"? "AWOL Defenders"? :34853_doh: Really?

That article and PFF player ratings may float in some circles. But, I'm not buying any of it. And neither should Jet or Seahawk fans.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:15 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/refo-jets-seahawks-week-10/

LOL I hope your not taking the work of PPF seriously. I mean look at the content of this article.

For example: The New York Jets thought so much of Mebane's play they were compelled to double team Brandon. And what did the great and powerful combo dual of left guard Matt Slauson and right tackle Austin Howard help the Jet's run game produce? Eightly four (thats 84) yards. That's it. :229031_shrug:

Singled out for special attention by the Jets and double teamed all game long and yet PPF thinks Mebane's game is headed south, downgrade their rating on Brandon, and lay that 84 yard responsibilty solely on his head. Brilliant :34853_doh:

Should I assume that these alleged "impressive (2 on 1) blocks" have driven PPF's grades for Slauson and Howard thru the roof? :lol:

That article and PFF player ratings may float in some circles. But, I'm not buying any of it. And neither should Jet or Seahawk fans.

Hey, they actually did watch the game in a breakdown fashion, unlike you. And tell me you haven't noticed any sort of difference in our run D from now and week 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5? Our line was playing so well then that Greene would likely not have gotten positive yardage. Just ask Ryan Williams.

Something happened. Not sure what it is, but we'll find out soon.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:11 pm
  • hawksfan515 wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/refo-jets-seahawks-week-10/

Hey, they actually did watch the game in a breakdown fashion, unlike you. And tell me you haven't noticed any sort of difference in our run D from now and week 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5? Our line was playing so well then that Greene would likely not have gotten positive yardage. Just ask Ryan Williams.

:177692: Easy there neighbor ...... my coments were directed at the article and referenced site ..... not you.

All I am saying is that the work of PFF is not gospel. I am not buying into it as an act of blind faith. And, neither should you.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:14 pm
  • I generally don't worry about players if I need a magnifying glass to find flaws in their performances (Mebane). And with Clemons, he's the same he's been all year, but sacks and even pressures tend to come in bunches. He was a tenth of a second from a sack/fumble at one point but Sanchez just got the ball out in time (incomplete).
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:18 pm
  • Yes, something has happened, its called scouting. there isn't a defense in the NFL without weaknesses, be it scheme or talent. There have been some injuries on the defensive interior, and, all of the success in running the ball against the Seahawks has come up the gut(aside from the Jets game, hilariously enough, when the Jets made their bones attacking the edge).

I actually was rather pleased with one thing in regards to the run defense from Sunday, the Jets ran a trap play, which the Lions, Vikings and 49ers ran with success, and Mebane and company executed and ate it up. Good to see.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:39 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm not worried about either of those guys at this point.

Frankly....I'm worried! If they will only put out this limited effort while playing in the Clink with the 12th Man behind them......how much effort will we see playing on the Road?
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 pm
  • Don't be such a worry wart!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:14 pm
  • hawksfan515 wrote:Hey, they actually did watch the game in a breakdown fashion, unlike you. And tell me you haven't noticed any sort of difference in our run D from now and week 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5? Our line was playing so well then that Greene would likely not have gotten positive yardage. Just ask Ryan Williams.

I feel like the Whiners exposed a major hole in our run D with the success of the 1920's style trap plays and other teams have replicated it with decreasing success but I feel like as we remedy that weak spot it will make us a more well rounded defense
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:05 am
  • Can someone explain what the trap play was. I saw the 49ers game and the gushing through the middle but curios to know the details. The next time they are in town they may have other schemes too in place specially if we try to over correct and open up other holes. Hope we can personnel wise and scheme wise outplay them this time!
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 am
  • seahawks08 wrote:Can someone explain what the trap play was. I saw the 49ers game and the gushing through the middle but curios to know the details. The next time they are in town they may have other schemes too in place specially if we try to over correct and open up other holes. Hope we can personnel wise and scheme wise outplay them this time!

Basically the guard let's the DT penetrate into the backfield too far, over pursuing the runner, and the guard will then push them out of the play.

EDIT: Look's like mine's wrong, my bad. Thanks Absolut.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 am
  • seahawks08 wrote:Can someone explain what the trap play was. I saw the 49ers game and the gushing through the middle but curios to know the details. The next time they are in town they may have other schemes too in place specially if we try to over correct and open up other holes. Hope we can personnel wise and scheme wise outplay them this time!

The DT (3 tech ideally, D2 below) is left unblocked by the RG (who goes looking for the first LB inside). The LG steps behind the center (who is down blocking to fill on D1) and "traps" the unblocked D2 who is headed upfield like he is making a play. RB comes right off his tail and bounces it behind the G on the LB. One of my 2 or 3 favorite plays to run in high school, and I love seeing it in the NFL. Really wish we would take a similar approach with Lynch and start using a "down and pull" blocking scheme more often.

LB
    D1 D2
    T LG C RG T

Well that formatting didnt carry over when I posted, so this is what I was getting at

AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:30 am
  • i will buy the we need the bye to get healed up, but i'm not buying the they need to rest because they're tired... i would assume like a lot of you on here, at one time played some form of organized football, i did into my late teens, early 20's, and yes you get banged up, but you do not get tired. maybe right after a game and the next day or so, but not after a week.. i remember hating to wait the whole week to get back out there... these are professional athletes... they're in shape... which is why i could never understand why they rested baseball players.. how do you get tired playing baseball?

i don't know my point, just felt like rambling.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 am
  • hawker84 wrote:i will buy the we need the bye to get healed up, but i'm not buying the they need to rest because they're tired... i would assume like a lot of you on here, at one time played some form of organized football, i did into my late teens, early 20's, and yes you get banged up, but you do not get tired. maybe right after a game and the next day or so, but not after a week.. i remember hating to wait the whole week to get back out there... these are professional athletes... they're in shape... which is why i could never understand why they rested baseball players.. how do you get tired playing baseball?

i don't know my point, just felt like rambling.

Well let me ramble s'more then. Tired is not the issue (meaning I agree with you). The players are getting dinged up. My bet is that one of them is Mebane. Our interior DL was getting pushed backward too much during the Jets game in particular. My guess is that Mebane has contracted is annual pulled calf muscle and is gutting it out right now. As he goes, so does the 'stoutness' of our interior DL. Branch is a joke at the point of attack. I'd venture another guess that Bryant is dealing with a few issues as well. Hopefully the bye week will be enough time to allow them to get better.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 am
  • Love that breakdown, ABS. We have been going to some man blocking plays like those later in games when our ZBS is struggling, but not sooner.

Also, a few weeks back Meebs had a calf injury, the same thing that plagued him earlier in his career. He has been playing through it, but his struggles have coincided with missed time by Jones, and magnified the injury. I am curious to see if a week off fixes his wounds.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:13 am
  • I thought Mebane has been playing well this season. He's a physical force and demands a double team. It's up to Branch and the linebackers to get in there and stop it.

Unlike against Minnesota where we had Clint McDonalds in there getting pushed way out of the play and opening huge holes for AP.
    No autographs please
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 am
  • I'm more worried about the Pass Rush and 3rd Down Defense on the road, have zero worries about the team at home.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information