One thing that really impresses me regarding Wilson

RichNhansom

Reaction score
If you don't see the difference in today's passing game and how it is translating to an enormously high success rate for rookie QB's then there is no reason trying to explain it. You almost have to try to not see the difference.

hawker84

Reaction score
he's solid under pressure i'll give him that.. but boy when he takes a sack, he takes a sack, UGLY lol... no more of those sack fumbles for 6 there RW....

jlwaters1

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3qrktmv9 said:
Hasselbeck":3qrktmv9 said:
I think there are a few reasons for this. Matt started back when the rules weren't so catered to the offense. Defensive backs were allowed to be a lot more physical with WR's than they are now. Holmgren's version of the WCO was predicated on timing and rhythm .. so naturally one of the ways to counter that is to rough up the WR's on the line of scrimmage and disrupt the routes. So I think this played a role.
Matt started playing for the Hawks in 2001.

The rule change associated with "no contact beyond 5 yards" started in 1979. It used to be 10 yards.

I'm curious as to what rules you're referring to that "weren't so catered to the offense" that affected Matt's stats and performance.

Certainly the more recent rule changes to protect the QB and defenseless receivers have been recent but I don't believe that you are referring to them.

Thanks for sharing. I was about to ask. Alot of the media keep making statements about how it's alot easier to pass today than 10-15 years ago. As far as I can remember the 5 yard rule has been around. Not much different than in the 90's. The only thing I can think of is the over the middle hits. Over the last few years they really made it difficult for a defender to unload on a WR over the middle with all the defensless players rules.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawker84":3lt8w9w4 said:
he's solid under pressure i'll give him that.. but boy when he takes a sack, he takes a sack, UGLY lol... no more of those sack fumbles for 6 there RW....

Agreed a couple times on Sunday and throughout the year I'm yelling at the TV "THROW IT AWAY!!!"

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The thing about Wilson is, he is very hard on himself, but he's realistically hard. He doesn't come down too hard on himself. He knows when he screwed up, but instead of beating himself up over it, he realizes he's going to make mistakes and he's dedicated himself to getting better and learning from them. He also knows to put the last play behind him, whether it be a TD or a pick six and stay focused on the next play.

hawker84

Reaction score
hate that rule, in it's current form.. yes there should be some level of protection as far as helmet to helmet on a defensless player, but if you lead with the shoulder, you should be allowed to unload on them..

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2sugcx0a said:
gargantual":2sugcx0a said:
And how far was Matty Hasselbeck 10 games into his first year here? Wilson seems just a bit ahead of the curve.

(Nothing against Hass of course. I was a gigantic fan : )

I think there are a few reasons for this. Matt started back when the rules weren't so catered to the offense. Defensive backs were allowed to be a lot more physical with WR's than they are now. Holmgren's version of the WCO was predicated on timing and rhythm .. so naturally one of the ways to counter that is to rough up the WR's on the line of scrimmage and disrupt the routes. So I think this played a role.

I also think more often than not.. Matt was his own worst enemy early on. He's talked about that many times that early in his career as a starter he would do things his way and not the way Holmgren wanted. He was quite rebellious and arrogant. When he started to buy in, ironically after losing his job, he played a lot better.

Wilson is playing in an era where defenders have a much more difficult time in the passing game. So that definitely helps him, and all the other rookies for that matter, get accustomed to the pro game. I also think Wilson at age 23 is probably a more mature player than Hasselbeck was at age 25/26 when his career began.. which goes a long way towards developing a QB.

That could be true, but I always thought just the opposite, Matt was more in tune with Holmgren’s offense than the receivers and running backs were at that time. I always believed Hasselbeck made reads the receivers didn’t and hence looked awful at times.

It didn’t surprise me as the WRs became more familiar with reads in Mike’s version of the WCO Matt looked better and better. It’s equally hard to argue had Dilfer not gotten hurt he wouldn’t have progressed just as far, as the rest of the team did the same.

Matt just had a jump start and once EVERYONE was on the same page, he a hold on the position that couldn’t be shaken. That, his age, and he was handpicked by Holmgren. :p

Sac

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2zogv5go said:
Hasselbeck":2zogv5go said:
Matt started playing for the Hawks in 2001.

The rule change associated with "no contact beyond 5 yards" started in 1979. It used to be 10 yards.

I'm curious as to what rules you're referring to that "weren't so catered to the offense" that affected Matt's stats and performance.

Certainly the more recent rule changes to protect the QB and defenseless receivers have been recent but I don't believe that you are referring to them.

This. In fact it wasn't more than a couple years ago that the NFL changed the force out rule. That helped defenses a lot.

madbohem

Reaction score
What we had this week was a mistake that didn't cost us the game. Sure the whole beginning period was rough, but the JETS have a talented enough defense to give the Hawks a different look.

Wilson's composure is huge. All his preparation will only get better with experience. I really see this as a big advantage with the home division games. A second look at teams, what they are doing in contrast to the actual game tape and game experience against our division rivals. I think there is going to be some second level stuff.

But my favorite thing about Wilson. While his composer makes him seem unflappable, We have never been out of a game with him in there. If someone, anyone, catches a pass from him in Arizona, he really would have been the hero that day. As it is, unflappable as he may look, he still seems to rise to the occasion.

I think we have a real shot to make the playoffs this year. I am a little suspicious. I think Wilson will show the tendency to be even better just because the game is bigger. Its just a sneaking suspicion, but I would put money on his will to win.