John Schneider

JonRud

Reaction score
He has done an unbelievable job with this team. Nobody can say otherwise.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I used to love Tim Ruskell. I don't know if I can trust my judgment on GMs anymore.

Edit: I also defended him after he left.... defended his drafts... God, what was wrong with me???

TheHawkster

Reaction score
jkitsune":2ctb4ke4 said:
I used to love Tim Ruskell. I don't know if I can trust my judgment on GMs anymore.

Edit: I also defended him after he left.... defended his drafts... God, what was wrong with me???

So, you got pigeon holed into thinking we had a chance with the direction we were in.

I did a lot the same. Always hoping for the best.

Positivity can suck sometimes.

kearly

Reaction score
I liked Ruskell for 2005. Good draft, key free agent signings (JJ, Fisher), superbowl run. Then like a month after the Superbowl, the Hutch fiasco happened, and I never forgave him for that. I didn't want him fired, but that one move pretty much killed all of his good will for me. Not because of the poison pill, but because even most morons know that you franchise an all-pro if you want to keep him. Holmgren was livid when he found out that Hutch wasn't franchised. Then the Branch trade happened (I was against it before it happened), as well as a lot of head scratching 1st round picks. But the Curry pick (which I saw coming) pretty much did Ruskell in for me. Just a horrible, mindless, sheep-mentality draft pick. I was already on the fire Tim Ruskell side of the fence before that, but that pick put me in the driver's seat. This was before Curry ever played a down for us.

Really the only positive things I can say about Ruskell are that he was here when the VMAC got built- if he played even a tiny role in that then credit is merited. He was effective in FA, getting the guys he wanted. Housh didn't last long, but that was still a big get. JP was a really big get. Kerney was a nice get. Though in some cases, TR got an assist from Jim Mora. Jim Mora may not be a good coach, but he can recruit. The only remaining positives for Ruskell was that he drafted Mebane and Unger, and got a future pick that turned into Earl Thomas. Thomas fit the TR profile too, so it would not surprise me if Thomas would be a Seahawk even if TR had stayed.

Basically, TR's tenure felt 75% bad, 25% good. JS's tenure has felt 5% bad, 95% good, with that 5% occurring ages ago (Whitehurst). Even when I'm sure that JS is making a huge mistake (Tapp trade, Wilson trade, Polumbus released, Omiyale makes roster, etc), every single time he comes out of those moves looking like a genius. Either it means he's very lucky or he's just incredibly smart. It might be a combination of both, but there is no question in my mind that we have the best coaching/GM pairing in the NFL.

Subzero717

Reaction score
TheHawkster":2dx2xccg said:
jkitsune":2dx2xccg said:

So, you got pigeon holed into thinking we had a chance with the direction we were in.

I did a lot the same. Always hoping for the best.

Positivity can suck sometimes.

It's called trying to convince yourself something is so even though all logic tells you it isn't.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I have to say Ruskell the rascal had me hook, line and sinker. I admit that Mora had me thinking he was going to be a good head coach. But after about the 6th game of the regular season I had completely changed my mind. I hated myself for a long time afterward.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think JS and PC are a great team. At the end of the day, PC has final say. And some of JS's ideas haven't come off (eg: Whitehurst). But as a combination we appear to have struck gold.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
kearly":33zbq633 said:
Then like a month after the Superbowl, the Hutch fiasco happened, and I never forgave him for that. I didn't want him fired, but that one move pretty much killed all of his good will for me. Not because of the poison pill, but because even most morons know that you franchise an all-pro if you want to keep him. Holmgren was livid when he found out that Hutch wasn't franchised.

Didn't they used the franchise tag on Alexander that year?

suppaball

Reaction score
SeaWolv":23n7xte7 said:
kearly":23n7xte7 said:
Then like a month after the Superbowl, the Hutch fiasco happened, and I never forgave him for that. I didn't want him fired, but that one move pretty much killed all of his good will for me. Not because of the poison pill, but because even most morons know that you franchise an all-pro if you want to keep him. Holmgren was livid when he found out that Hutch wasn't franchised.

Yes they did.

drdiags

Reaction score
suppaball":1v91nykg said:
SeaWolv":1v91nykg said:
kearly":1v91nykg said:

Yes they did.

Not true. They used the Tag on Alexander the year before with the promise not to apply it the next year. The team had the option of Franchise or Transition tagging Hutch, they chose the cheaper of the two. Also there was the last minute CBA signing that made available tons of money that wasn't there when the FAs had to be declared. Always thought the NFL should have given teams a chance to reconsider due to the late CBA signing.

I hate and still hate the idea of Franchising a player. There shouldn't be one. But that is another story. I backed Ruskell at the time but before I knew Hutch was going to pull that poison pill crap. I was naive on that aspect. Oh well. Stinks.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Ruskell is good at what he is - completing teams. He can't build a roster and he can't build for the future, but he can fill gaps short-term.

And yeah - his 2005 draft was pretty good.