Only complaint: Subdued 12th man

HansGruber

Reaction score
I've also been to every home game since around 1999/2000, and I totally disagree. The crowd was super loud yesterday, but there are a few reasons I think people mistakenly thought it was "quieter than usual":

1) The Jets weren't on offense very much, and when they were, the drives weren't long enough to sustain intensity. A lot of 3-and-outs and plays that didn't last long for the Jets offense. But whenever their QBs were under center, the Clink was rockin!!

2) Fans misjudge crowd volume based on what they hear on TV. The TV broadcasts use heavy filtering during the audio mix to reduce crowd noise so that you can hear the analysts. You can't judge crowd noise by the TV broadcast.

3) Fans in the end zone areas mistakenly assume that the volume they hear is the same as on the field. This is not the case at all. The parabolic design of the cover means that noise is amplified and directed toward the field, and reduces dramatically at each end zone. By the time you get up into the seating area, you are looking at a 40-50db reduction (and that drops exponentially as you move up in the seating areas).

4) Season ticket holders and fans who attend regularly compare the volume to games previously attended. But your brain has no way of accurately recording historical sensory data such as sound. It is impossible to compare without a decibel meter.

I was in CLB46, and every person in our group commented that it was one of the louder games this season. It was loud enough and wild enough in the Clink to rattle the windows in our suite, which is at the very end of the North end zone area (so no advantage of being under the cover where noise is amplified).

I've heard these complaints about volume a few times, but don't agree with them. I think it's due more to fans inflating their previous experiences in memory, which is quite common. That's what our brains do. When we think back to experiences we enjoy, our brains will always exaggerate certain elements of our memories. As I said previously, you have no objective way to compare sound without a decibel meter.

It'd be interesting though if someone had a decibel meter, and could go to games every week and record various readings so we could look at them later. Maybe I should buy one and do that. My inner science nerd just perked up at the thought of that.

seahawks08

Reaction score
yes the crowd was super loud compared to the vikings game. The highest intensity is during goal line stands and 3 and long situations. I have seen some of them standing up and starting to gesture to others to stand up and make noise and then the crow follows suit. Its absolute chaos for opposing teams.

HansGruber

Reaction score
So I went on Amazon to find a good decibel meter and ran into a problem right off the bat. Most microphones are only sensitive to 130db, and meters that go higher than that are very expensive. I know the Clink is regularly over 130db, so I'm afraid it would be difficult to impossible to record and compare decibel readings from the Clink without very expensive professional equipment.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The "heaviness" of the air density was a definite factor in the apparent "loudness" yesterday. The sound waves cannot travel as fast in the "heavy air".

Should Arizona continue to lose the next three weeks, then I'm concerned that Dec. 14th could be a "trap game" when they come into town.....no matter how loud we sound! Then again...we lose two on the Road, we'll be really pissed!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HansGruber":byhag6rl said:
So I went on Amazon to find a good decibel meter and ran into a problem right off the bat. Most microphones are only sensitive to 130db, and meters that go higher than that are very expensive. I know the Clink is regularly over 130db, so I'm afraid it would be difficult to impossible to record and compare decibel readings from the Clink without very expensive professional equipment.

I think it was palatypus who had the decibel meter and most times it was registering around 120 dB. (I also think the magic mark was 124dB for false starts.)

JonRud

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3h25k24e said:
The "heaviness" of the air density was a definite factor in the apparent "loudness" yesterday. The sound waves cannot travel as fast in the "heavy air".

Should Arizona continue to lose the next three weeks, then I'm concerned that Dec. 14th could be a "trap game" when they come into town.....no matter how loud we sound! Then again...we lose two on the Road, we'll be really pissed!

I hope they are still playing this game on Dec. 9th [not the 14th!] or I will be arriving in Seattle many days too early!!!

Latest posts