Dilfer's audio from earlier this week

Mase

Reaction score
-- I think Trent Dilfer proved very prophetic from earlier this week. He warned that the true test of a QB is when the other team starts to game plan for YOU, and I believe to a certain extent that is what happened today. I believe the Jets plan was to trust their front seven against the run, MLBs like Harris and Scott help do that, but focus on ruffling the feathers of the young QB. They talked about it all week. In the first half, it was working. A lot of gut pressure, some late edge blitzes, all stuff that can throw an inexperienced player off his game. And to an extent it did, but then he adapted. As Dilfer said, the way to pass that inevitable test, is to overcome the other team's gameplan against you, and I would say without a doubt, Wilson did today. (I will also give credit to Bevel for this. Not always my favorite guy, but some of his wrinkles and set up plays today were great, especially against an aggressive defense).

-- So I will just say, B+ young man. You handled today with a lot of grace and presence. The only reason it isn't an A, is that when you realize the other team is dialing it up on you, you HAVE to protect that ball just a little better. We all hate sacks, but they are much less damaging that turnovers.

Mase

bellingerga

Reaction score
How would Trent Dilfer know that? He was never good enough to be game-planned for.

Ok now that I got that out.... he's probably right. You're probably right as well Mase, it seemed to me they gameplanned for Russ, and dialed up alot of extra pressure to "get in his head". It's funny how hard getting in his head seems to be, if not damn near impossible.

If that was his first test being gameplanned for he passed it with flying colors.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Wilson did a good job of dealing with a blitz happy Ryan defense (most of the time), but I don't think this was the example Dilfer was talking about, exactly.

This looked like a game plan the jets would use against any team with a rookie quarterback, instead of what Dilfer is talking about - game planning against a team's quarterback and his specific, well known, skill sets.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bellingerga":261i6171 said:
How would Trent Dilfer know that? He was never good enough to be game-planned for.

Lol, that's just mean. I mean, hey, I don't have to have a million dollars to tell you how I would spend it. ;) You can know what needs to be done, and be incapable of doing it. Doesn't mean your opinion on what needs to be done is wrong.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Dilfer was on Cowherd's show in the first hour this morning. They both doubted RW before the season. Dilfer stated something to the effect of (paraphrasing):

"I said that for him to be a good QB in this league he would have to do everything at the position exceptionally to overcome his lack of stature. He is. I am a believer."

Colin then said he's a believer too.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":29cr2ikg said:
Dilfer was on Cowherd's show in the first hour this morning. They both doubted RW before the season. Dilfer stated something to the effect of (paraphrasing):

"I said that for him to be a good QB in this league he would have to do everything at the position exceptionally to overcome his lack of stature. He is. I am a believer."

Colin then said he's a believer too.
Russell Wilson: turning haters into believers week by week.

Latest posts