Russell Wilson- the silently elite QB

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Russell Wilson- the silently elite QB
Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm
  • Game log

Wilson has started 10 games this season. Of those ten games, he posted passer ratings of 96 or better in six(!) of them. Only three times has he posted a passer rating well below the NFL median. Those three games were Arizona, St. Louis, and San Francisco.

Arizona was not a great game for Wilson, but it was also his very first game and in a very difficult situation.

The Rams game was actually a pretty decent game for Wilson, but his statistics were marred by three interceptions, all of which were unusual/fluke plays. It masked a performance where Wilson completed 68% of his passes.

The 49ers game was actually a great game for Wilson, but you'd never know it because of timely drops and tough breaks, including at least one dropped pass that might have been a touchdown. Wilson passed the eyeball test early on before the 49ers took the lead late and didn't look back.

So far, Wilson has had 6 fantastic games, 3 poor games, and 1 ordinary game (Carolina). And in all 3 of his poor games, Wilson was facing (at the time) a high ranked defense on the road and had tough breaks go against him that would have made a high passer rating almost impossible. In Arizona it was the non-existent pass protection. In St. Louis it was the bounce of the ball. In San Francisco it was drops. When Seattle has given Wilson decent protection, caught the ball, and avoided freaky turnovers, Wilson has very consistently played on an elite level.

A lot of people have talked about Seattle needed to prove themselves on the road. To that I'll just say this- stay out of Wilson's way and play respectable defense, and the road wins will take care of themselves.
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• He certainly has the look of a top-drawer QB, with an ability to seemingly make any throw and put the ball where only his guy can catch it or it falls incomplete. Has he had some bumps in the road? Of course, but no more than any other rookie QB has in the normal run of things.

I interested to see how he fares on the two game road trip. Miami is almost a deceptively easy-looking game, especially for Wilson. Chicago scares me. That defense is big, fast and likes to take the ball away. Big test for Wilson and the rest of the offense.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• He's no Marcus Mariota, but he'll do for now. :twisted:

:sarcasm_off:

As ridiculous as it sounds I can imagine Wilson in the Hall of Fame one day.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:As ridiculous as it sounds I can imagine Wilson in the Hall of Fame one day.

:lol:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• As far as kearly's post.. I wouldn't say Wilson is elite yet. He has a very solid completion percentage and TD/INT ratio (10 to 2 over the last five weeks) .. but he's been sub 200 yards in 7 of 10 starts. That's anything but elite. That's Alex Smith.

He's doing well though limiting mistakes and has shown marked improvement over his last five starts compared to his first five starts. But saying he's elite and Hall-of-Fame bound is extremely premature IMO.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I've supported RW and continue to support him. But RW did a terrible job protecting that football today. I think he ended up making it up with his other plays, but I don't like seeing him trying to do TOO much. I would have rather him take a short sack than try to scramble backwards (or fumble) trying to improvise too much.

That said, I love how resilient he was and his early mistakes did not get him down. The second half was much better for him.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

• Hasselbeck wrote:As far as kearly's post.. I wouldn't say Wilson is elite yet. He has a very solid completion percentage and TD/INT ratio (10 to 2 over the last five weeks) .. but he's been sub 200 yards in 7 of 10 starts. That's anything but elite. That's Alex Smith.

He's doing well though limiting mistakes and has shown marked improvement over his last five starts compared to his first five starts. But saying he's elite and Hall-of-Fame bound is extremely premature IMO.

So you would argue that he needs to defy the laws of statistics and put up YPA numbers greater than the best QBs to ever play the game?

The kid threw the ball less than 20 times today. He simply does not have the chance to put up great yardage numbers.
    SoCalHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• I would say Wilson is developing a repertoire with his receivers. Tate, Rice, Baldwin and TE Miller. We are growing an offense.
    Its really nice to see a good QB develope right now. Wilson is getting really good in the red zone. Our backup QBs Tate and Rice are good too!;)
    This wr group may be all we really need. I never was on the "our wideouts suck" bandwagon. On the other hand, the Jets abused our offensive line today a bit.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• SoCalHawk wrote:So you would argue that he needs to defy the laws of statistics and put up YPA numbers greater than the best QBs to ever play the game?

The kid threw the ball less than 20 times today. He simply does not have the chance to put up great yardage numbers.

I'm saying right now he's closer to Alex Smith than Drew Brees.

That's not an insult, Smith took a team to the door step of a Super Bowl with the same type of roster that we have in place now.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:As far as kearly's post.. I wouldn't say Wilson is elite yet. He has a very solid completion percentage and TD/INT ratio (10 to 2 over the last five weeks) .. but he's been sub 200 yards in 7 of 10 starts. That's anything but elite. That's Alex Smith.

It's been said, but what is his YPA? You are punishing him for a lack of passing attempts, which is just lame. the guy just averaged almost ten yards per attempt, which is elite.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• RW is a very determined rookie who is no one but RW. He may occasionally bear similarities to other past and current QBs, but he is carving out a unique identity that is RW only, and we are to sit and watch just how unique and special this is over the coming months and years.

Secondly, he would benefit greatly from a bolstered OL. This dearly needs to be the FO's number one priority.
    Last edited by Ruminator on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    February 2, 2014: The day Seahawks win their second Lombardi trophy
    (The first one is located back east somewhere.)
    Ruminator
    NET Rookie

• Funny how week 10 this guy is the QBOTF , when just 3 weeks ago or so I believe .net was up in arms and calling for Flynn......who Is Flynn anyways does he play for us? GO HAWKS
    TLD0550
    NET Starter

• Ruminator wrote:RW is a very determined rookie who is no one but RW. He may occasionally bear similarities to other past and current QBs, but he is carving out a unique identity that is RW only, and we are to sit and watch just how unique and special this is over the coming months and years.

Well said.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• TLD0550 wrote:Funny how week 10 this guy is the QBOTF , when just 3 weeks ago or so I believe .net was up in arms and calling for Flynn......who Is Flynn anyways does he play for us? GO HAWKS

You mean the guys calling for Flynn after every loss?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    As ridiculous as it sounds I can imagine Wilson in the Hall of Fame one day.

:13:

He is going to bring us our first Super Bowl and be known as the best qb in franchise history.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:As far as kearly's post.. I wouldn't say Wilson is elite yet. He has a very solid completion percentage and TD/INT ratio (10 to 2 over the last five weeks) .. but he's been sub 200 yards in 7 of 10 starts. That's anything but elite. That's Alex Smith.

It's been said, but what is his YPA? You are punishing him for a lack of passing attempts, which is just lame. the guy just averaged almost ten yards per attempt, which is elite.

He is upset that he was released 2 years ago and now benched in Tennessee for locker.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• My two cents is: In order for this team to become legitimately dangerous in the playoffs, the FO needs to be cognizant of the fact a bolstered OL is a much greater need than an improved WR corp.
    Ruminator
    NET Rookie

• Elite? Uh, no (but possible one day).
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Re: Russell Wilson- the silently elite QB
Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:06 pm
  • Russell Wilson has the best quarterback rating of all of them at home. By a lot. Better than either Manning, Brees, Ryan and Stafford. The lumps he took were early in the season and on the road. If that last road game against Detroit is any indicator, then yeah, he's silently elite and highly efficient.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 pm
  • I have a friend who is not convinced, largely because his total passing yards are so low. Try to tell him that because of the phenomenal run game and defense he doesn't HAVE to! Plus, oh yeah...this is his rookie season.

At this point I believe his floor is Hasselbeck. FLOOR. And I think he'll do much more than 'ol Hass in yards when his career is done.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:29 pm
  • Yards are pointless without points. I'd rather have 170 yards and 3 TD's out of Wilson than 350 yards and 1 or 2 TD's. Your friend is dumb.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 pm
  • Don't forget the bring-him-along-slowly factor. RW was largely limited in the first few games, they say.
    Ruminator
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 pm
  • I would not put Wilson in the "Elite" category this soon, but he is definitely making a believer out of me. But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working. I have not seen this which is a credit to all of the other areas of strength on this team.

But the question of is he our true QBOTF has been answered. He needs to keep improving and get his YPG up to at least the mid 200's game in and game out. I believe this will come in time, but probably next year.

But the TD/INT ratio is very strong and even his yards per attempt is looking really good!

Keep up the good work RW!
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Your friend is dumb.

SacHawk2.0 wrote:Yards are pointless without points.

Nitpickpolice here. Sorry ma'am/sir, d'ya know your mind was speeding through a school zone?

Give the kids a break.

Don't let this place git to ya, member?
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 pm
  • I believe Wilson is the franchise QB, but I think u guys are taking this a little too far. Wilson's QBR this year which is a lot more accurate than QB rating is a 56, which is slightly above average, You guys are calling him elite. He's a good starting QB now, he might be elite in the future.
    Kolsteseahawks
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 pm
  • kf3339 wrote: But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working.

Dude, RW has two 4th quarter comeback victories already in his career, and it would have been three if the Defense didn't lay an egg at the end of the Detroit game.

If that's not putting the team on your back I don't know what it.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:35 pm
  • Big Russ, the skies the limit for this kid. I can't wait to see what he will be like in a couple of years.
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:43 pm
  • I think at this point we can call him competant with an upside.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:50 pm
  • Wilson made a couple unbelievable plays today. The backhand flip was amazing, and the ball he threw to Rice could not have been thrown better, but for the large part of the game today, Wilson looked helplessly lost. He just had no idea what he was looking at against Ryan's 3-4 until the Jets proved so dismal that the game got out of hand. That was one of the worst teams that I have seen in a while out there today. If we were playing against a better offense that wasn't completely inept, this game might have looked much different. I fully understand that rookies are going to struggle against tricky 3-4 defenses, but to call that performance today anywhere near elite just isn't correct. I'm not a Wilson hater by any stretch, but for 30 minutes, he looked just about as bad as a QB can look.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

The "Sub 200" is because Pete has been commited to the run game, Y'know, Lynch?, Turbin?, AND Pete had him on a pretty short leash, and wanted him to digest a more limited playbook, you know?, kinda like Holmgren did with Matt Hasselbeck (Mr. August), only difference is, Hasselbeck got pulled and replaced by Trent Dilfer, because he was losing too many games,,Can't say the same thing about Russell Wilson can we.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:Wilson made a couple unbelievable plays today. The backhand flip was amazing, and the ball he threw to Rice could not have been thrown better, but for the large part of the game today, Wilson looked helplessly lost. He just had no idea what he was looking at against Ryan's 3-4 until the Jets proved so dismal that the game got out of hand. That was one of the worst teams that I have seen in a while out there today. If we were playing against a better offense that wasn't completely inept, this game might have looked much different. I fully understand that rookies are going to struggle against tricky 3-4 defenses, but to call that performance today anywhere near elite just isn't correct. I'm not a Wilson hater by any stretch, but for 30 minutes, he looked just about as bad as a QB can look.

Bullsh*t, the Jets Coaching staff game planned for Wilson, and figgured they could rattle him enough to neutralize him.
    Wilson burned the Jets quite a few times with TD, and runs (RGIII style), PLUS, the Jets Coaches hadn't planned on Pete and Co. to come up with a few trick plays to score 28 points, hell, even Tate threw for more yards than Sanchez (ZERO TD's), and that's what I'd call a Quarterback looking "just about as bad as a QB can look"
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• kf3339 wrote:I would not put Wilson in the "Elite" category this soon, but he is definitely making a believer out of me. But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working. I have not seen this which is a credit to all of the other areas of strength on this team.

But the question of is he our true QBOTF has been answered. He needs to keep improving and get his YPG up to at least the mid 200's game in and game out. I believe this will come in time, but probably next year.

But the TD/INT ratio is very strong and even his yards per attempt is looking really good!

Keep up the good work RW!

Hell yea, Hasselbeck lost what?, 8 games before getting pulled and replaced by Dilfer?
    RW is doing a great job for being a rook, and 28 to 7 is pretty damn good, because it meant that the whole Offense rose to meet the challenge of the swarming Jets Defense :th2thumbs:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm confused when people want Wilson to be at certain numbers. All I want him to do is win the game for us. Throw for only 10 yards, win by 50 points? who cares?
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:I'm not a Wilson hater by any stretch, but for 30 minutes, he looked just about as bad as a QB can look.

I was with you until this part. Wilson played smart football. He was unproductive at his worst, but never terrible. He finished with zero interceptions and never came close to having one. And it's not like elite QBs always play 4 quarters either. It's pretty typical for a great QB to have an ebb and flow, to build the bulk of his stats on a few key drives.

Good plus bad, Wilson finished with a passer rating north of 130. Good plus bad, the team was perfect in the red zone. Good plus bad, the Seahawks were a solid 6/14 on 3rd+4th down (43%). Good plus bad, the Seahawks pretty much dominated the game, finishing with 363 yards of offense and winning time of possesion by 12 minutes and change.

Matt Stafford put his team on his back to beat us- giving maybe the best QB performance against us all season, and he still had about 2 full quarters of seeming ineptitude. It's not always about playing 4 full quarters every game. If a QB regularly did that his offense would be scoring 45 points a game. Very few QBs in history have lived up to that standard. If you define elite as 2011 Rodgers/Brees or 2007/2010 Brady, then yeah, Wilson is nowhere close to elite. I'm not saying he's playing at an all time great level, looking unstoppable in every quarter of every game. I do think he's quietly elite in terms of overall efficiency compared to his 2012 peers.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Not to take anything away from Russel, calling him elite is way off.
    He has improved tremendously but if he were truly elite we would've seen the ball in his hands way more then 20 times per game. Think about other elite QB's and how often have you seen them finish a game with 18 attempts?
    He has done everything we've asked so far and I'm excited to see him improving weekly but if you have an elite QB your offense is built around him and I don't care whats your "identity".
    roiyair
    NET Practice Squad

• I'm not ready to call Russell Wilson an elite QB, that definitely seems premature. I'd say he's playing at an above average level right now and showing us he could develop into elite one day. Wilson had a tough start to the season but week after week he has shown a remarkable ability to correct his mistakes and add to his repertoire.

Ruminator wrote:My two cents is: In order for this team to become legitimately dangerous in the playoffs, the FO needs to be cognizant of the fact a bolstered OL is a much greater need than an improved WR corp.

I agree 100% with bolstering the OL... We've been witnessing the development of Wilson with the receivers the last few weeks. You can tell they are doing a better job working together and getting open. An improved OL will only aid our already dominant running game and with improved pass protection you can expect more through the air as well.
    debevemos
    NET Rookie

• Kolsteseahawks wrote:I believe Wilson is the franchise QB, but I think u guys are taking this a little too far. Wilson's QBR this year which is a lot more accurate than QB rating is a 56, which is slightly above average, You guys are calling him elite. He's a good starting QB now, he might be elite in the future.

If QBR was the gold standard why isn't everyone using it?
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• I could care less what we call him... except, the kid is a WINNER.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Here is how I know the kid is "elite": There will be little if any talk that we need a first round QB next year. RW has killed that kind of talk.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• The only thing that is keeping this kid from being deemed an elite QB (by those that already don't) is statistics. What the hell are stats? An elite QB is exactly what we have here in Seattle right now. If we had a defense that consistently gave up 30 pts per game...Russ would be passing the ball 35 times and his stats would look more "elite". But we don't...and we have a top-5 running game to boot. Russ can do anything on the field, he can- and does- make almost any throw, he can avoid the rush and improvise as good as most, he is extremely cerebral and very prepared week in and week out, his leadership is fantastic, his maturity level and poise are stellar...is he playing at an elite level? I guess it's all relative...and relative to the opportunities that he is given...yes he indeed is. This kid is PURE STUD.

To me it's a no-brainer.
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote: But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working.

Dude, RW has two 4th quarter comeback victories already in his career, and it would have been three if the Defense didn't lay an egg at the end of the Detroit game.

If that's not putting the team on your back I don't know what it.

Agreed.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:I'm not a Wilson hater by any stretch, but for 30 minutes, he looked just about as bad as a QB can look.

I was with you until this part. Wilson played smart football. He was unproductive at his worst, but never terrible. He finished with zero interceptions and never came close to having one. And it's not like elite QBs always play 4 quarters either. It's pretty typical for a great QB to have an ebb and flow, to build the bulk of his stats on a few key drives.

Good plus bad, Wilson finished with a passer rating north of 130. Good plus bad, the team was perfect in the red zone. Good plus bad, the Seahawks were a solid 6/14 on 3rd+4th down (43%). Good plus bad, the Seahawks pretty much dominated the game, finishing with 363 yards of offense and winning time of possesion by 12 minutes and change.

Matt Stafford put his team on his back to beat us- giving maybe the best QB performance against us all season, and he still had about 2 full quarters of seeming ineptitude. It's not always about playing 4 full quarters every game. If a QB regularly did that his offense would be scoring 45 points a game. Very few QBs in history have lived up to that standard. If you define elite as 2011 Rodgers/Brees or 2007/2010 Brady, then yeah, Wilson is nowhere close to elite. I'm not saying he's playing at an all time great level, looking unstoppable in every quarter of every game. I do think he's quietly elite in terms of overall efficiency compared to his 2012 peers.

You're probably right. I was probably a little strong and will back off a little. He didn't throw four picks in a half or anything like that. He did give a gift TD at a really bad time.

I'm not saying I don't fully expect him to be lost at times over the next few years. I don't want it to come across that I'm disappointed in Wilson in any way. I think he has been amazing. I'm on the wagon, no question. But when you give it the only test that matters, the eyeball test, there is a huge difference between watching Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady command an offense and watching Russell Wilson.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• T-Sizzle wrote:He is upset that he was released 2 years ago and now benched in Tennessee for locker.

:lol:

I will say it's quite amazing Wilson has played as well as he has with you hanging from his groin though. Props.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:He is upset that he was released 2 years ago and now benched in Tennessee for locker.

You're seriously one of the lamest posters on here man. :lol:

I will say it's quite amazing Wilson has played as well as he has with you hanging from his groin though. Props.

I don't agree with you much, but this, I completely agree with.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:05 am
  • Kolsteseahawks wrote:I believe Wilson is the franchise QB, but I think u guys are taking this a little too far. Wilson's QBR this year which is a lot more accurate than QB rating is a 56, which is slightly above average, You guys are calling him elite. He's a good starting QB now, he might be elite in the future.

(BUT NO! THAT'S INCREDIBLY INSULTING BECAUSE BECAUSE.. AHHHHH!)

Fact is. He's 23 with a very high ceiling.. and yes, one day maybe he is elite. One day maybe he goes down as the best QB in Seahawks history, which right now is a pretty small list to climb, but good grief.. we're 32nd overall in passing, even the Chiefs and Jaguars have done more in that department, you can cite whatever stat you want to make Wilson an elite QB but right now he's not. Right now.... he's Alex Smith with greater potential.

And that's not insulting, which I'm sure the Wilson spinsters like T-Dawg or T-Shizzle or whatever moniker he wants to use will decree.. because Smith has actually turned himself into a very effective QB.. but we need to stop trying to turn Wilson into something he's not at this time. He's not elite. He's not ROY caliber. He's just GOOD. And that's OKAY.. clearly going off of the fact we're 6-4 and firmly in the playoff race.

But holy cow, these threads and replies saying he's HOF bound are hilariously over the top.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 am
  • I would be currious to know exactly how many times RW actually dropped back to pass agains the Jets last game. I think sometimes his pass attempts are deceivingly low because he does a lot of 1-2 yard gains on pass plays that he can't find anyone, so he tucks and avoids a sack. This helps his qb rating because it doesn't count as an incomplete. I would be willing to guess that although he only attempted 19 passes, he was probably actually dropped back to pass closer to 28 times.

I would not call Russell Wilson an elite qb yet, (actually I don't believe you can be elite in half of a rookie season), but he is also having a much better season than most rookies do so he definately has potential. He has been playing pretty amazing at home lately!
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:27 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Kolsteseahawks wrote:I believe Wilson is the franchise QB, but I think u guys are taking this a little too far. Wilson's QBR this year which is a lot more accurate than QB rating is a 56, which is slightly above average, You guys are calling him elite. He's a good starting QB now, he might be elite in the future.

(BUT NO! THAT'S INCREDIBLY INSULTING BECAUSE BECAUSE.. AHHHHH!)

Fact is. He's 23 with a very high ceiling.. and yes, one day maybe he is elite. One day maybe he goes down as the best QB in Seahawks history, which right now is a pretty small list to climb, but good grief.. we're 32nd overall in passing, even the Chiefs and Jaguars have done more in that department, you can cite whatever stat you want to make Wilson an elite QB but right now he's not. Right now.... he's Alex Smith with greater potential.

And that's not insulting, which I'm sure the Wilson spinsters like T-Dawg or T-Shizzle or whatever moniker he wants to use will decree.. because Smith has actually turned himself into a very effective QB.. but we need to stop trying to turn Wilson into something he's not at this time. He's not elite. He's not ROY caliber. He's just GOOD. And that's OKAY.. clearly going off of the fact we're 6-4 and firmly in the playoff race.

But holy cow, these threads and replies saying he's HOF bound are hilariously over the top.

We're 29th in total passing offense.

Right now, Wilson is the 12th highest rated passer in the entire NFL. Luck? He's 26th, has thrown 10 TDs to 9 INTs and has been sacked 21 times to Russell's 19. the only rookie QB rated higher than Wilson right now is RG3, with an average passer rating of 93.9 (Wilson's is 90.5). Russell has thrown almost twice as many TDs this year than RG3 (15 to 8 ), their comp/att and yardage numbers are quite similar, with RG3 having a bit of an edge there. The biggest difference is that RG3 has only tossed 3 INTs, with Wilson having 8 on the year, all on the road. One of Wilson's was a half time hail mary, and at least 3 others were a direct result of freak occurrences or poor WR play. The reason for this entrie paragraph is to show that, despite what you may think, Wilson SHOULD BE in line for OROY. If he continues his pretty stellar play through the remainder of the season and the Seahawks go to the playoffs either as division winners or even as a wildcard, he should be firmly in the conversation.

i don't think he's elite yet. Given the choice of QBs for a one year run at the SB, I'd probably take Peyton manning or Brady or Rodgers at this point. Right now though, he's looking like the best rookie QB of this class, and even if you don't buy that, he definitely represents the best value of any QB out of this class.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 am
  • Ruminator wrote:My two cents is: In order for this team to become legitimately dangerous in the playoffs, the FO needs to be cognizant of the fact a bolstered OL is a much greater need than an improved WR corp.

I don't think I can agree with a person more. Breno is a back up RT i'm sorry for the Breno supporters. Have not seen enough out of Moffitt to say he needs to be replaced, but if you have a shot at a Chance Warmack you take him. Seattle still needs some weapons, but this O line is not complete.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 am

QBR is a bullshit rating though and there's a reason it's not standard.

Jake Locker is ranked 7th above Drew Brees, Josh Freeman, Alex Smith, Eli Manning and RGIII.

Andrew Luck is ranked above Aaron Rodgers.

Tony Romo is ranked above Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton and Josh Freeman - the same Tony Romo who has thrown 9 interceptions in 2 games this season, 13 in total to 12 TD passes despite having one of the best WR tandem's in the league.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 am
  • Elite is a very overused term now days.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information